Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Tech and Clemson? Always wacky, sometimes illegal, never boring
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Tech and Clemson? Always wacky, sometimes illegal, never boring

Nov 10, 2013, 11:28 PM

Tech and Clemson? Always wacky, sometimes illegal, never boring

The series between Clemson and Georgia Tech has always been a wild and wacky affair, featuring fake field goals that are later deemed illegal, games with no punts, phantom holding calls and final scores that are always pretty close. Thursday night, the rivalry is renewed. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow

Nov 10, 2013, 11:42 PM

You'd figure since you covered these games you'd at least know what the hell you're talking about. So much wrong in this.

I thought it was a good article.

Nov 11, 2013, 12:00 AM

Don't know what you're reading bub.

Re: Wow

Nov 11, 2013, 12:11 AM [ in reply to Wow ]

No. You're wrong....See how easy that is? Now before I prove you're wrong, why don't you prove what was wrong with the article.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 11, 2013, 12:27 AM

I dunno...Covering this team has given me gray hair and I am sure I have lost a lot of brain cells along the way...lol. He could be right. But kinda like the games at Tech, this job is always wacky and never boring!

badge-seniorwriter.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

His orange blood might be boiling

Nov 11, 2013, 7:34 AM

but, based on his pulse rating alone, it appears that none of it is getting to his brain.

I was there for most of those games. I could have sworn I remembered everything that you wrote about.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 11, 2013, 10:03 AM [ in reply to Re: Wow ]

Just saw this. Classy response, David. It was a nice, well-done story.

This isn't a real account/person. In the forums for

Nov 11, 2013, 12:14 AM [ in reply to Wow ]

over 10 years and only 10 posts??? And then you just come in and make some brainless critique. Just a sh#t stirrer. And a childish and inactive one at that.

Since the FSU game, dozens of these accounts have appeared

Nov 11, 2013, 6:30 AM

Posters with several years of membership, but almost no posts at all until time came for them to begin posting negative stuff.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Somebody got up on the wrong side of the bed***

Nov 11, 2013, 11:25 AM [ in reply to Wow ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is that you, Walt?***

Nov 11, 2013, 12:45 PM [ in reply to Wow ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Dominate the Bees - Punish them for past BS!!!***

Nov 11, 2013, 12:05 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great Job David!***

Nov 11, 2013, 12:37 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Uggh... So many losses to GT teams with very inferior talent***

Nov 11, 2013, 1:18 AM

You forgot

Nov 11, 2013, 6:28 AM

that the ACC Championship game was vacated with the league ruled that Tech had an ineligible player. That player was instrumental in the win over Clemson for the Championship.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Tech and Clemson? Always wacky, sometimes illegal, never boring

Nov 11, 2013, 6:53 AM

Wasn't Ron Cherry the referee for both of the games Austin was called for holding too? I seem to remember that and I also seem to remember neither being holding. Lol.

Same Ref Both Games

Nov 11, 2013, 10:17 AM

What's really wild is that the same ref called the same phantom holding call on the same Clemson OL in two different games against GT.

Nope ... in both games, Jack Childress was the head

Nov 11, 2013, 12:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Tech and Clemson? Always wacky, sometimes illegal, never boring ]

official, I believe.

This is why I hold him in contempt more than Ron Cherry-bomb.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

The business

Nov 11, 2013, 7:30 AM

Clemson should go on record that they will play any day at any time as long as Rob Cherry isn't the ref.

Rob Cherry

Nov 11, 2013, 7:31 AM

I might just keep calling him by the wrong name.

Was wacky used more times than holding calls? I'm confused.***

Nov 11, 2013, 8:15 AM

Re: who gets to commit this year's imaginary holding call?

Nov 11, 2013, 9:13 AM

and the way GT blacks why arent they called for holding a lot?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: meant blocks

Nov 11, 2013, 9:14 AM

not blacks. sorry

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tough to get called for holding when on all 4's cut blocking***

Nov 11, 2013, 11:06 AM [ in reply to Re: who gets to commit this year's imaginary holding call? ]

Didn't GT have to forfeit the ACCCG later for using an

Nov 11, 2013, 9:24 AM

ineligible player; yet Clemson was still awarded the loss. Not to mention the fact that we were cheated out of a BCS game.

GT vacated the title-----there was no forfeit.

Nov 11, 2013, 9:32 AM

This means there was no champion in 2009.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

Re: Front Page Story: Tech and Clemson? Always wacky, sometimes illegal, never boring

Nov 11, 2013, 9:40 AM

There was also a non-phantom holding call that should have gone against Tech in the ACC championship game. On one of Tech's long scoring passes in the second half, Brandon Thompson was literally tackled as he was closing in to sack Nesbitt.
I saw it at the game and have watched the replay many times. It was one of the most obvious calls I have ever seen.

Nov 11, 2013, 10:13 AM

The interesting thing about the holding call is that it was on the same player (Austin) holding the same GT player and called by the same referee each year. Bizzare.

We've also had last second heartbreak losses

Nov 11, 2013, 10:25 AM

Caused by fingertip catches by Kerry Watkins when we were 8-0 on the season and Calvin Johnson after a bad snap on a punt. This rivalry and game has always been "wacky".

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hate this game more than most on our schedule, yet

Nov 11, 2013, 10:39 AM

I also love it more than most on our schedule. I hate Georgia Tech with the fire of a thousand suns and nothing gives me more pleasure than seeing us beat them into a bloody pulp. Unfortunately that hasn't happened very often in the last decade, but I think that tendency is starting to turn in our favor.

The GT game is often a "Twilight Zone" ordeal.

Nov 11, 2013, 12:08 PM

David's summary is absolutely correct.

I sincerely hope that our defense, particularly the LB's and secondary spend a lot of time with getting off those dangerous "cut blocks" (legal) and getting containment on the pitch. I hope that none of our guys get their knees messed up. I will say that I've noticed that officials are calling more chop blocks on GT, but we are not going to get those calls. History is an indicator that we don't have a "fair and balanced" experience when it comes to GT.

I'm not whining, David has listed a bunch of examples and hasn't exaggerated. It's true that, for unknown reasons, our team(s) have often (thinking of a kind way to say this) "chosen" this game as one to not play well.

Regardless, it is a valid point to say that the GT game officiating has frequently been downright strange. In 2004, we had the misfortune to have Ron Cherry as an official. It was a bad omen.

After a long Clemson run gave us, presumably, the lead for good...he called the Clemson runner for an unsportsman-like conduct penalty for an "unnatural stride" as he scored. The 15 yard penalty assessed after the score gave GT a short field. WR Calvin Johnson proceeded to just show out...at our expense. Even though Reggie Ball was their QB, Johnson burned our shorter defenders over and over. The fact that this was a televised home game made it all worse.

Then, given the opportunity to put the game away with a simple first down, Charlie Whitehurst scrambled for what looked to be a certain first down. With the outcome of the game on the line, he slid down after covering 9 yards. A first down would've meant we could run out the clock. So, only needing one yard, we proceed to try to run the ball into the teeth of the GT defense. The result? We end up with 4th and short. The coach opted, correctly, to punt. However, the nightmare scenario continued as we screwed up the snap giving GT the short field in the shadow of our end zone.

Promptly, GT scored again by throwing to you-know-who for a TD (and the lead). With little time left on the clock, we lose the game 28-24. I was stunned...just couldn't believe we gave that game away.

The following year? We lose to them 10-9 at their place.

Then, in 2006, we beat them - soundly - at home by a score of 31-7. Like all Clemson fans, I celebrated that win and allowed myself to think that we've *finally* turned the corner on beating them...etc. Yet, the following year, we go to Atlanta and lose 13-3.

In summary, I will say that I savor each and every win over GT because of this weird (okay, I'll say it), "painful" history. I could mention other games with them, but my pride just won't allow it.

Therefore, I've now found my Zen and chanted "The Serenity Prayer". Ah, but let me just say this:

Since a "yellow jacket" is an insect, I say to the coaches and players (all)..."LISTEN UP!" ---- Tajh, Sammy, our linemen, LBs, and secondary....squash those bugs until they are dead, dead, DEAD!!! (insert maniacal laughter, here).

Send that ol' taciturn curmudgeon Paul Johnson back to Atlanta with a genuine reason to be grumpier.

Tajh, you've re-written so many records, here. Go out there and have some fun at the expense of the Yellow Jackets!

Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 11, 2013, 12:41 PM

I sincerely hope this is the last game we have to prepare for Paul Johnson's offense. Surely they're ready for his departure in Atlanta.

I dislike GT and PJ almost as much as I

Nov 11, 2013, 12:51 PM

despise SCar.

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic