Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Final thoughts from Charlottesville, and meeting a real American hero
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Final thoughts from Charlottesville, and meeting a real American hero

Nov 3, 2013, 3:08 PM

Final thoughts from Charlottesville, and meeting a real American hero

Final thoughts from Clemson's 59-10 win at Virginia, including meeting a real American hero inside Virginia's press box. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Awesome story! Thanks for sharing...

Nov 3, 2013, 3:19 PM

These national treasures are leaving us at a pretty rapid pace. You were very fortunate to be able to listen to his story. Glad you could pass it on.

Re: Front Page Story: and meeting a real American hero- wow

Nov 3, 2013, 3:19 PM

David I know just how you felt. I spent this summer id'ing the guys in a photo that flew in a B-24 w my dad in WWII.

My final break was when I found the co-pilot alive and well and willing to talk to me over the phone. All the rest of these men in this crew are gone now. most of what I had previously was from obits. it was one of the most moving phone calls ever. almost as good as if I could speak to my dad once again.

those guys are amazing and their numbers decline every day.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: and meeting a real American hero- wow

Nov 3, 2013, 7:39 PM

Outstanding! Your Dad deserved no less effort than you gave, but I am certain he would be proud of your perseverance in trying to tie up a loose end. Your story is a great one, too. IMO

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Final thoughts from Charlottesville, and meeting a real American hero

Nov 3, 2013, 3:20 PM

Nice post David.

Thanks for sharing.

Not that you didn't share enough but you also usually comment on the opposing teams press box. How was UVA and the press box food this weekend? Although you did get that apple pie :)

Re: 29th.

Nov 3, 2013, 3:21 PM

Thank you for that story. My uncle was in the 29th and is buried in france.I'd love to write Mr.Bingler and tell him thanks for his service, maybe find out if he knew my uncle by some small chance. can I arite him in care of the uva athlectic department.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 29th.- I would try that and you could also

Nov 3, 2013, 3:44 PM

search as he is probably in the area. lastly the 29th may have a site also. I know when I discovered my dad's bomb group this summer I was amazed how much there was as far as roster and pictures. granted infantry is a little different but it is worth a check if you are interested. lastly if I can help let me know. I enjoy this era of history. I have found a search one day may yield nothing later on the same search may hit something interesting.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

my grandfather was in the 8th

Nov 3, 2013, 8:57 PM

air force. He was a bombardier in one of the "heavies." I remember him telling me stories about bombing Berlin and him dropping several bombs on/around the Reichstag. Those were some brave guys to climb in those tin cans and fly right into the heart of Germany.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice story...thanks for keeping the faith for the Clemson...

Nov 3, 2013, 3:42 PM

...side.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

Great story. Thanks for that.***

Nov 3, 2013, 3:50 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Awesome! Was great meeting you and that hero!

Nov 3, 2013, 4:01 PM

If that apple pie was anywhere near as good as that pumpkin pie...I'm going to have to break into the press box more often!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Re: Awesome! Was great meeting you and that hero! DearUVa

Nov 3, 2013, 4:17 PM

please tighten your press box security. it is bad enough he can get in here. Thanks, 74.

:)

Re: Front Page Story: meeting a real American hero

Nov 3, 2013, 4:30 PM

Thanks so much for your post!
SO GLAD you had the opportunity to meet him.
My Dad went in D-Day, Omaha Beach, and
was in the Battle of Bulge.
When I read stories like this, it obviously
makes me feel a little closer to him.
He passed away in the mid-90's.
GO TIGERS!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: meeting a real American hero

Nov 3, 2013, 5:25 PM

wow. what a hero. I cant imagine though I've read and heard many stories. to think those guys were so young too.

amazing

Now THAT was a great story

Nov 3, 2013, 4:40 PM

I hope Mr. Monk can read these coments and know that his actions in Europe are greatly appreciated.

As an Army Soldier of 23 years...

Nov 3, 2013, 4:51 PM

I am humbled as well.

I would've loved to meet him as well.

Thanks David for sharing this with us.

Hope to see you at the Clemson/Citadel game.

I'll be marching in the parade representing the military for Clemson.

GO TIGERS!

Thanks!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All In, All The Time...1314797352813

Re: Front Page Story: Final thoughts from Charlottesville, and meeting a real American hero

Nov 3, 2013, 4:56 PM

Awesome story! It's like the story colonel Skardon told at ring ceremony two weeks ago and the Bataan death march. True heros

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I heard Col. Skardon's story at my daughter's Ring...

Nov 3, 2013, 10:16 PM

...Ceremony back in 2009. Isn't it written down in some book on Clemson stories? Would like to get a copy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I heard Col. Skardon's story at my daughter's Ring...

Nov 3, 2013, 10:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Final thoughts from Charlottesville, and meeting a real American hero ]

...Ceremony back in 2009. Isn't it written down in some book on Clemson stories? Would like to get a copy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FANtastic story David...my Dad was in tank during Battle of

Nov 3, 2013, 6:39 PM

the Bulge as gunner, but he told me the tank had heat from the engine so they were warm..and I bet Monk was cold as h*ll up in that tree. I, as all Clemson fans I'm sure, admire & honor this "Hero" of WW2..plus we all appreciate you taking the time to meet & greet this remarkable "Young" Man.

GoTiGERs...beat the Engineers of GT!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 3, 2013, 7:20 PM

Wonderful story and just proves why they truly are the "Greatest Generation". Thanks also to all the Veterans out there as we look soon to celebrate Veterans Day. Lots of love again on the broadcast for #83 as well!

Nov 3, 2013, 8:13 PM

I have nothing but HONOR and RESPECT for those who served then, and I have the same type respect for those who serve now. This nation is blessed because of those who gave so much, even the ultimate sacrifice, for all of us.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 3, 2013, 9:06 PM

74Tiger...what bomb group/squadron was your dad in? My great uncle who lived in Greenville was 464BG 779BS, B24`s out of Pantanella, Italy.

It`s sad the rate the WWII guys are leaving us...

Nov 3, 2013, 9:24 PM

In the picture, those Virgina coaches are standing there watching Sammy thinking, well there he goes. Lets get our guys ready for the kick off.

Nov 3, 2013, 9:24 PM

Great story David. There aren't many of that generation still around. My Dad was in the 222nd Inf. Regt. of the 42nd Inf.Div., the "Rainbow Div." Their Unit liberate the concentration camp Dachau. Man, I wish I had done more to document his stories. By the way he was an avid Tiger fan even before I went to Clemson.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

thank you for that

Nov 4, 2013, 2:22 AM

I just watched a special on WWII today on national geographic channel. I can honestly never imagine the atrocities this man went through and saw. I feel incredibly blessed to hear his story. I can only imagine how it felt to meet this man. And if by some chance he reads this. Thank you for your service!!

This guy should be invited to military appreciation day

Nov 4, 2013, 7:17 AM

UVA doesn't have a home game that day. American hero.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This guy should be invited to military appreciation day

Nov 4, 2013, 8:29 AM

What a great Idea; what an incredible human being. Just one thing could make military appreciation day better... Give the ball to Daniel Rodriguez and an opportunity to score!

Nov 4, 2013, 8:43 AM

What a terrific story of a GREAT AMERICAN HERO!!! Thank you!!!! God Bless him!

Nov 4, 2013, 9:21 AM

As much as all of us are really excited at Deshaun Watson joining our program, and I really believe he will be a great Clemson QB, I seriously doubt that he, or any other incoming freshman in the country, could master this offense that quickly. Our offense is very complicated, very fast paced (most times) and requires a lot of repetition to get it all down. Couple that with his having to be a student, as well, and the likelihood of him not having to RS a year is remote. I do think Kelly is a better fit to run this offense over Stoudt. JMO, but Kelly has shown more running skills than Stoudt to date, and that will be a key as to who is the man after Tajh, IMO.

Nov 4, 2013, 9:25 AM

What a awesome story

Nov 4, 2013, 3:34 PM

Thanks for sharing an excellent story. You were fortunate to be able to hear it. Wish I could still talk to a cousin who jumped as a member of the 82nd Airborne on D-day.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Monk! Monk! Monk! Thanks UVa Man for your WW2 Service!

Nov 4, 2013, 11:01 PM

GoTiGERs!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic