Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Tigers back to running a base offense to find consistency during struggles
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 61
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Tigers back to running a base offense to find consistency during struggles

Oct 21, 2013, 2:02 PM

Tigers back to running a base offense to find consistency during struggles

Clemson offensive coordinator Chad Morris said Monday that his offense is playing so inconsistent that he is running just a base offense, and that only one player out of 11 is playing with any kind of consistency. Who is that player? What does he say about the play of quarterback Tajh Boyd? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He has abandoned the run

Oct 21, 2013, 2:13 PM

It was almost the second quarter before a Tiger RB had even one carry. I dont understand that. We have good quality there with Hot-rod and Zac, yet he'd rather run Tajh or call 16 pass plays in a row.

Re: He has abandoned the run

Oct 21, 2013, 2:19 PM

well, we have NO line, and, respectfully, we have sub standard running backs. Hot Rod is a backup quality...bottom line. Great kid, great job, but back up. said this before the year, and knew then that we had issues with this. the line run blocks the same as they pass block...no difference...time for a change there. If we had not backed off Gurley. Mike Bellemy cost us 2 years of running backs here and we now feel it.

Oct 21, 2013, 3:21 PM

I agree. Our line is soft and our backs just aren't there

Oct 21, 2013, 3:27 PM [ in reply to Re: He has abandoned the run ]

Don't know where you got that we backed off on Gurley. Dabo said in an interview that the night before signing, they thought they had Gurley locked and losing him to the dogs was a complete surprise. Beside that, wasn't Gurley in the class after Bellamy?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 21, 2013, 3:39 PM

didn't "back off" but we "slow played him" then tried to speed up late in the process...by that time Georgia had him wrapped up...contrary to the PR from Dabo.

Oct 21, 2013, 6:47 PM

Didn't Bellamy also cost us Tre Mason or one of Auburns backs.

I think Bellamy told the staff that he didn't want them to recruit him. It may not be Tre Mason but I know it was a kid who went on to sign with Auburn. He was signed somewhere else maybe and decommitted and wanted to come to Clemson but we didn't take him.

So Bellamy cost us that back as well.

Oct 22, 2013, 12:08 PM

Wow, lose a game and people start bringing up Bellamy. Clemson is better off without Bellamy.

I agree our line is not the best (contrary to what TNet

Oct 21, 2013, 3:38 PM [ in reply to Re: He has abandoned the run ]

said all fall). But Hot-Rod is a good back. He's not as good as AE or CJ. But he's still a capable runner. And Zac Brooks is pretty good too.

But, to go almost an entire quarter without your RB getting 1 carry, that is abandoning the run. Which Chad says in this article that he didnt.

He did the same thing in the USuC game.

Oct 21, 2013, 2:37 PM [ in reply to He has abandoned the run ]

Result: L

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: He did the same thing in the USuC game.

Oct 21, 2013, 3:21 PM

Yep. Doesn't matter how good your passing game is - if you're not balanced, a good defense will exploit you.

Because SCar's DL dominated our OL, just like FSU's did.***

Oct 21, 2013, 3:58 PM [ in reply to He did the same thing in the USuC game. ]

did you even watch the SC game

Oct 21, 2013, 5:46 PM

we were running at them pretty well

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

I agree, we were running the ball pretty well in the USuC

Oct 22, 2013, 11:00 AM

game. Until Chad abandoned it and started passing it every down.

That's because we can't run.

Oct 21, 2013, 3:23 PM [ in reply to He has abandoned the run ]

Our OL can't consistently open up holes and we don't have the kind of running backs to make up for blocking deficits.

With that said, I don't understand why we don't run more to the outside.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: That's because we can't run.

Oct 22, 2013, 10:31 AM

If the running game is weak, and the OL isn't up to the task then how did we get to be ranked in the top five ?
Surely these weaknesses were known and were being addressed.
I am sorry, it all comes back to preparation and coaching.

Oct 21, 2013, 5:51 PM [ in reply to He has abandoned the run ]

DID EVERY ONE OF YOU PEOPLE SEE WHAT I SAW, Boyd was limping at the end of 2nd qt. Played all of 3rd and 3/4 of the 4th then they decided to put in Stout and he drove our team down the field and scored? Just saying!!!

Best player on the team?

Oct 21, 2013, 7:39 PM

same old thing -the most popular player on any team is the second-string Quarterback ... just sayin

Oct 22, 2013, 9:06 AM [ in reply to Re: He has abandoned the run ]

Boyd was fumbling the ball; throwing passes in the dirt behind and in front of the receivers; throwing into triple coverage with other receivers wide open and throwing to areas with no recievers at all. Why oh why didn't Dabo sit him on the bench and put in Staudt? It couldn't have been any worse. But Dabo patted him on the head and told him everything was OK. This was the football game of the century not badminton.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 22, 2013, 10:55 AM

Because Boyd is a senior and the leader of this team. He earned the right to play in the game. He also had a responsibility to sit down if he couldn't perform due to an injury.
More to the point, Sweeney should have made the decision for him.
I know it would have been unpopular and frankly, fans would now be saying " if only he hadn't brought in the backup QB we would have won ".
The hardest call a coach can make would be telling a player like Boyd he wasn't up to the task for whatever reason.
Sweeney couldn't make the tough call and Boyd's pride kept him from making the call himself. That is the humanity of the game.

Oct 22, 2013, 10:45 AM [ in reply to Re: He has abandoned the run ]

If Taj was injured ( and yes I did see him limping ) then why was he still in the game?
I understand that even with a slight injury, he wanted to play, after all it was the most important game of the season.
Playing him was a coaching decision period.
The results of playing him are a loss and not just against FSU. The potential loss of confidence could be the real damage inflicted to the team.
If Dabo can't overcome the mental issues that come with a loss like this ,then the team will suffer more unnecessary losses.
I believe that focusing on execution, and assignments, followed by a solid game performance will put things back in order. This is still a very good team !

Oct 22, 2013, 10:10 AM [ in reply to He has abandoned the run ]

If in fact he has abandoned the run, what is the reason? Are the backs inferior in talent ? Do they not know what is expected of them ? Perhaps it is to showcase Taj for a Heisman. I think it is something more basic. ( that phrase is being used a lot this week )
Believing your own press and acting as if hard work and improvement each and every day no longer applies.
If the players are not motivated to perfect their game, or if coaches are sending mixed messages in practice, execution will suffer. So many things to look at and a very short time in which to correct the issues.
In my opinion, the coaching staff and how they prepare the players, are the answer to the question.
Clemson will not lose another game this year in the regular season if they commit to playing their best on every single play. It is an attitude, it is committing to perfection and the absolute belief they are ready to do the work.
Lesson learned now move forward.

Is he saying T. Boyd went the wrong way on the fumble return

for a touchdown?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's the way I read it.***

null

Dern. He seems to be putting a lot of the responsibility on

Oct 21, 2013, 2:23 PM

Boyd for the loss.

Wonder if Stoudt may get a chance if Boyd struggles against Maryland?

Let's hope it doesn't get that bad.***

Oct 21, 2013, 2:24 PM

null

I hope not, but your 5th year qb going the wrong way is

Oct 21, 2013, 2:30 PM

a bit unexpected. :)

Hope he gets it together this week and we play well down the stretch.

It doesn't mean he doesn't know the play

Oct 21, 2013, 2:34 PM

Tajh read the blitz wrong. He should have thrown to the hot route to the side of the blitz instead of rolling away from the CB blitz. Tajh just didn't see him coming before the play or during the play for that matter.

The play was to the right... Tajh went left, alone.***

Oct 21, 2013, 3:13 PM

Boyd should take about 65% of the blame

Oct 21, 2013, 6:08 PM [ in reply to Dern. He seems to be putting a lot of the responsibility on ]

If I believed in conspiracy crap, I would say Boyd threw the game. He singlehandedly had the biggest impact on the teams bad offense and eventual bad defense. It was amazingly bad.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Re: Boyd should take about 65% of the blame

Oct 21, 2013, 7:41 PM

Remember Chad said there were 10 on team playing bad...

What a stupid statement about Boyd. Take the trash talk

Oct 22, 2013, 11:03 AM [ in reply to Boyd should take about 65% of the blame ]

to FGF.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just stating the facts. Players are the only ones on the

Oct 22, 2013, 10:58 AM [ in reply to Dern. He seems to be putting a lot of the responsibility on ]

field to make plays.

Re: Is he saying T. Boyd went the wrong way on the fumble return

Oct 21, 2013, 2:31 PM [ in reply to Is he saying T. Boyd went the wrong way on the fumble return ]

Tajh said in the postgame interview that he indeed ran the wrong way on the play...

the play may have been to the right, but it would have been

Oct 21, 2013, 5:51 PM [ in reply to Is he saying T. Boyd went the wrong way on the fumble return ]

blown up that way too... Am I missing something?

The big problem isnt that he went the wrong way as much as he didnt secure the ball.

Speaking of blown plays, I would like to know what the route was for Williams off the corner blitz where he was wide open.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes you are. Pass was suppose to be to Humphries who

Oct 22, 2013, 11:09 AM

was wide open on the other side. So would not have been blown up and definitely not resulted in a FSU TD.

Re: Front Page Story: Tigers back to running a base offense to find consistency during struggles

Oct 21, 2013, 2:31 PM

"They aren't playing well."

Honestly, the best this Offense looked was against

Oct 21, 2013, 2:36 PM

UGa - the first game of the season. How could things have regressed so far over the course of the season? What happened? Was Peake THAT important to this offense?

No, We had a commitment to the run in the UGA game

Oct 21, 2013, 3:39 PM

look at how many carries HotRod had that game.

UGA's defense is very suspect.

Oct 21, 2013, 4:12 PM [ in reply to Honestly, the best this Offense looked was against ]

We played exceptional for a quarter against Syracuse. We have had injuries on the O line. When Boyd is hot, he is a beast, but he has periods throwing the ball where he can't throw it in the ocean. He just needs to relax and quit trying so hard.

The struggles are fundamentals and execution.

Oct 21, 2013, 2:36 PM

How the hell you play division 1 football and can't catch or hold onto a #### football is beyond me. Dan Hawkins said it best: "It ain't intramurals!"

Two weeks in a row, too.

There's something in these hills.

Re: The struggles are fundamentals and execution.

Oct 21, 2013, 2:56 PM

So let's see.....if I got anything from the presser it was " we are back to our base offense".And we are not playing well. Did I get that right?

Re: Front Page Story: Tigers back to running a base offense to find consistency during struggles

Oct 21, 2013, 3:02 PM

Why does a fifth year senior need the offense simplified? We just watched a redshirt freshman run a complicated offense.

Oct 21, 2013, 3:04 PM

Did you really see a complicated offense from FSU? I saw a run straight at you and throw it up to my NFL receivers offense.

null

... and survey the field from my bunker.***

Oct 21, 2013, 3:15 PM

Oct 21, 2013, 7:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Tigers back to running a base offense to find consistency during struggles ]

according to what Chad said - 10 out of 11 need it simplified.

the only words that need to be written on the white board...

Oct 21, 2013, 3:15 PM

SERIOUSLY?
SERIOUSLY?
NO, REALLY. SERIOUSLY?

SERIOUSLY?

Stop reading in to what Coach Morris is saying

Oct 21, 2013, 3:19 PM

Yes he says Boyd had a bad game because he knows Boyd would be the 1st one to say the same thing. Tang is mature enough to take it and leader of the offense. He will get them to play Clemson football again because he is that leader. Every team has bad games but a championship team pulls together! Go Tigers!

Please teach Boyd to change protection & check outta blitzes

Oct 21, 2013, 4:12 PM

In re-watching the 1st half of the game last night I saw (as ESPN’s commentators pointed out) that Boyd didn't changed protection or checked out of obvious blitzes where FSU was killing him. Boyd did see one corner-blitz coming and tried to take advantage of it by passing to Williams, but Williams didn’t adjust his route accordingly. Boyd’s fumble came on a well-telegraphed safety blitz by Joyner who executed a perfect stripping-tackle from behind. ESPN had these stats.

Passing Against The Blitz in FSU-Clemson Game:
. . . . . . . . . . Winston . . . Boyd
Comp-Att: . . . 12-18 . . . 3-10
Yards: . . . . . . . 293 . . . . -4
YPA: . . . . . . . . 18.3 . . . -0.4
TD-INT: . . . . . . 2-1 . . . 1-0

the crowd was still in it at the start of the 3rd quarter***

Oct 21, 2013, 5:12 PM

Re: the crowd was still in it at the start of the 3rd quarter***

Oct 22, 2013, 10:59 AM

Have to say I was embarrassed by the number of empty seats at the end of the third quarter.

Re: the crowd was still in it at the start of the 3rd quarter***

Oct 22, 2013, 4:56 PM

Mine was one of those empty seats at the beginning of the 4th. I have been going to DV since I was a kid and have rarely, if ever, left a game early. I was embarrassed of and for our team and the product we fielded. It was not the billing we were led to believe it was going to be. I'm usually one of the ones berating those folks who leave early whether we are up or down, but c'mon man, who could blame anybody for not wanting to watch the Tigers in their final death throws of the evening. What better way to express your displeasure with the performance we saw Saturday night than to exit the stadium. So yes, I added to the resounding number of car doors slamming at about that time and don't have one ounce of regret for doing it. Now its time to look toward College Park and see if the Tigers can get the train back on the rails and decisively defeat Maryland with some spectacular game play. Go Tigers!

Oct 21, 2013, 5:45 PM

I agree we as a team played bad. But I think out of most of the offense Sammy Watkins had a pretty good game although the outcome was bad. The balls that weren't on the ground he caught & his touchdown catch was a stretch catch.. I'm sure he's being overlooked for what he did in that game but at the end of the day their a team & you win some & lose some it's apart of the game.
It's still go tigers !

Decent things on the run game? Are you kidding me.

Oct 21, 2013, 6:42 PM

There isn't anything good about the run game. It isn't decent at all.

We just try and run little Hot Rod up the middle with no push from our linemen.

Nice try Chad.

We have the players but....

Oct 21, 2013, 8:30 PM

Now work on chemistry on the offense and getting these young players to learn the playbook!

first off wth is leggette second y not get a thick fast rb

Oct 22, 2013, 12:36 AM

I mean look at it Beasley was recruited as a rb my lord imagine him hitting the hole a lb or anyone on the second level would be ah screw that. I mean they were getting the shhhhht kicked out of them. Where are the stars at.... Alexander is needed. Big number forty shoulda been in to lead block like georgia. Just plow over someone. Boyd runs too much doesnt throw the seem passes anymore or the long ball.... I mean I think we are 70% on those going for tds. Defensive we only blitzed hard 3 times....ones a interception the other a sac by anthony. This game was so poorly played and coach I thought it was bought or aka rigged. Im tired of this #### its happenned to me for 25 plus years by Clemson. So much hope just to get ###### over. Get mean play 5 stars over seniors, knock out a punk ### like anus winston. Instead, we just hand them the game like lil ####### and for ##### sake we are a top ten team my is our first play too a 2 star player who looks like a high schooler..... put that #### in your stars hands.So call this fair weather or whatknot but as far as im concerned im done with Clemson and standing up and supporting ########. I played on two national championship football teams in college and I know a yellow streak(choking) when I see it. Just like nc state and wv in 11 and sc last year..... #### this ####

Oct 21, 2013, 9:23 PM

We are 7 games into the season. Dont you think these fundamentals should have been put in place in the spring and fall? That goes back to coaching.

Can anybody tell me if we are running our base offense?

Oct 22, 2013, 8:46 AM

That's pretty much all I got out of his interview, we are running our base offense. But I'm confused... the base offense is something these guys should know like the back of their hands. So why in the world did we look like a high school team out there Saturday not knowing their assignments and execution of plays?

Re: Can anybody tell me if we are running our base offense?

Oct 22, 2013, 8:54 AM

Agree. It looked like their playbook was changed for this game and everyone was confused. When the cameras focused on Boyd's eyes, he looked confused. The receivers were not on the same page as Boyd. Surely Morris didn't change things up in mid-season before one of the biggest games in our history.

If so, then our base offense sucks.***

Oct 22, 2013, 11:00 AM [ in reply to Can anybody tell me if we are running our base offense? ]

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Oct 22, 2013, 1:03 PM

How in the world can Morris take the "I could have called a few plays better" approach and one by one call out the players for their failures when it was clear that we imploded to a well prepared Fla State?

"Our players are stinking it up so I had to simplify my playbook" sounds exactly what Spurrier would whine. Morris, you own this one as much or more as Tahj, the Oline, and the receivers. I'm still not clear where the passing game went and why we didn't try some screens. Martavious Bryant likely did something stupid last week and was benched first half. Big surprise. He didn't have the best track record when he was recruited by Morris. Seckinger stunk it up more than anyone on the offense and Morris never took him out. Morris, man up.

Oct 24, 2013, 2:12 PM

Seems like it's pretty hard to run any kind of offense with an OL as bad as ours. And, a major weakness at tight end.

Replies: 61
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic