Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Two steps forward, one giant step back
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Two steps forward, one giant step back

Oct 20, 2013, 1:39 PM

Two steps forward, one giant step back

Wins over LSU and Georgia enabled the Clemson program to take two steps forward in the national perception of the program, and Saturday night was supposed to be another step in that progression. Instead, it was a giant step back. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Two steps forward, one giant step back

Oct 20, 2013, 1:53 PM

Its not that Florida States that Good; Its that Clemson was Horrible.Steve Spurrier must be looking Forward to playing another Clemson team on the way to the Dog house.

Oct 20, 2013, 2:04 PM

I can't believe I let myself get caught up in "the dream" again. I had given my heart to this team, although I knew the heartache it could cause. I went through a few years not being able to watch Clemson Football. I would record the games, and watch if we won. Never watched live. Didn't watch the Peach Bowl til April. Was afraid if I watched it there would be some infraction causing a forfeit. They did well in that game against an uninspired LSU.

This year started off great, big win over UGA, struggles against lesser teams, then this debacle.

I won't watch another game this year. Nothing can make up for this humiliating loss. It has sealed the Clemsoning term forever in the lexicon.

I will never give my heart to this team again. Until they earn it...

It's Halloween time again, and Lucy has once again taken the football away just as something special was about to happen.

Is Dabo really that good? Morris? Venables? The team last night sure looked like the Speed Limit 70 team all over...

Let the flaming begin...

Oct 20, 2013, 3:12 PM

Pieces of chit comes in all sizes, and I bet yours is in a very large size. Yours and David Hoods both. One loss is one loss, by 1 or by 50. When you throw out everything with all the bragging you do when we win the big games, and then turn all good into chit with one loss no matter how bad it was. You and anybody else that would turn on what most of us have and will always love over one game we loss badly. You are no one I want in our group of Loyal Clemson fans. And David Hood is someone I will never except his two faced drivel in writing a word about Clemson in any category ever again. Benedict Arnold comes to mine when I think of David Hood from here on out. TigerJack, if I didn't believe you were a coot acting a Clemson fan on a bad played game, you and David Hood would fit in the same pot, yes the same one calling the kettle black. But I still tremble at the thought of being in a fox hole with either of you with the enemy coming down the hill. I bet that when we were a 6/6, 7/6 type of team, the both of you were very happy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Attack posters all you want, Hood has a ####### job to do

Oct 20, 2013, 3:15 PM

and it isn't to pump sunshine up your ###.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Attack posters all you want, Hood has a ####### job to do

Oct 20, 2013, 4:09 PM

And as a writer for TIGER net, it sure as H&ll isn't for him to shred Clemson. And I won't try to blow no smoke up your A$S, it sounds that you have more than enough up yours. Maybe David has pumped it up yours.;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Attack posters all you want, Hood has a ####### job to do

Oct 20, 2013, 10:37 PM

Really cute. How log did it take you to think that up?

Oct 20, 2013, 4:40 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Two steps forward, one giant step back ]

article is spot on, regardless of who likes it. That's not to say we turn our backs on the team, its jusst an accurate statement of last night...and then we move on.

Oct 20, 2013, 10:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Two steps forward, one giant step back ]

Thankfully, your cretinous thinking doesn't control this board. So flame away, for what little it's worth to anyone with half a brain. You can't stand realistic appraissal? Then TS. Get off the board.

Please get the #### off of the bandwagon

Oct 20, 2013, 4:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Two steps forward, one giant step back ]

and don't come back. Hell, take the Clemson bandwagon with you, this is a place for true fans, NOT homers that wave the banner only when we win. Leave that ######## in the SEC.

Oct 20, 2013, 10:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Two steps forward, one giant step back ]

No flaming from me. I can't disagree with you. Another humiliation, pure and simple. We just gave new life to the unfortunate term "Clemsoning," and I have no confidence that the staff we have over there can fix it. I'll be surprised if our recruiting just doesn't tank. Yes governor, "It's our time"----to return to square one.

Article was on the money.

Oct 21, 2013, 1:48 PM

Did any of you criticizing Hood actually watch the game. Are you not just sick that just when you get your hopes up, this team crushes them?

I could've taken a loss, but a 37 point loss at home with a crowd that was into like that crowd was? The truest words of Hood's article was the last sentence, "And the process begins again". Now that's sad. It's going to take awhile for me to re-invest so much of myself into Clemson football. The joy is just not worth the pain.

It is both. FSU is THAT good. We played that bad.***

Oct 20, 2013, 2:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Two steps forward, one giant step back ]

Re: It is both. FSU is THAT good. We played that bad.***

Oct 20, 2013, 2:53 PM

I ried to tell people after the NCSU and BC games but none would listen.. even `cuse ran for 323 yds against us.. did U se what Tech did to `cuse??? 56-0!!! that tell U anything??

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It is both. FSU is THAT good. We played that bad.***

Oct 20, 2013, 3:58 PM

Yes that says a lot. It tells me that the games that Tajh was set on the bench in the games that we easily won. He should have been left in the game jelling with his receivers in a live game. He should have been left in throwing the ball around under the condition that at no time should he take off playing the RB position. Did you see how sharp and confident Jameis looked. That comes from playing in live games all game. Look at the scores of the games he played in. All were easy live practice games that built confidence and the actual feel for all his targets in live action. That's why you practice, and live in game practice with the easy games is much better practice than your everyday practice against your team mates that isn't going to really pressure you. Jameis was really confident in his throws b/c his coaches used live mediocre games to give him time to jell and get comfortable throwing to his receivers in LIVE game action, and not just in the home practice field action. Tajh has been given the you are good enough and you are the man title. We don't want to risk getting you hurt in mild condition games. But throw him out into the wolf den in hard fought games where he has to be on the money and not have to run 25 plays a game against the for real hard nose players that are trying to earn respect by tearing Tajh's head off. When he could have stayed in all the mild games and earned needed sharpness and a better confidence level where he wouldn't have to be running from the real wolves. He should have been able to set back and pick them apart. But as we all saw, he wasn't sharp, nor did he have the same confidence that Jameis had. Does anyone think that FSU really gives a crap about what anybody says about them running up the score on anybody this morning. They TOOK our spot and they don't what anybody thinks about them. They are driving for a seat in the NCG, and screw anybody who don't like how they get there. That is the attitude I want for us here on out and for ever. The Nick Saban way, take no prisoners, End of story.

Oct 20, 2013, 10:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Two steps forward, one giant step back ]

I have to agree that Saturday night was a huge step backward for the program, and will take a lot to overcome.

Excellent article. It was worse than the Orange Bowl

Oct 20, 2013, 1:56 PM

because of the fact that we were at home and it was a bigger game nationally in terms of hype, significance, etc.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for the article, at least someone else understands

Oct 20, 2013, 2:00 PM

what this game meant or should have meant. I still see a team when smacked in the mouth, folds like a shot dove. They quit in the 3rd quarter. Dabo should have emptied the bench then, maybe somebody there would have liked to give 110%.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't know that they necessarily quit as much as their d

Oct 20, 2013, 3:30 PM

Seriously outmatched our offense. And our secondary is still not equipped to stop a good passing attack. We can't sack the qb on every play just as they can't but the difference in pass coverage in alarming. A running game that can put up 200 on a consistent basis comes in handy against thAt type of team. From what I saw the top 3 teams are bama, Oregon, and the noles.

agreed....MUCH WORSE than the Orange Bowl with

Oct 20, 2013, 2:17 PM

everything on the line last night at home....for everything that was positive in the wins over LSU and Ga this was just as bad or worse.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Surprised to read this Drama Queen article

Oct 20, 2013, 2:20 PM

FSU played amazing (they are a great team), and we didnt play well. But get off your high horse if you expect Clemson to win every big game. Things started to avalanche and they did... this was nothing like the WVU game. We were better than WVU and they played the game of their lives. We were not better than FSU.

Lets not act like UGA fans who expect to fire Richt simply because he "ONLY" goes 11-2 every year.

Proud to be a tiger.

Wow youre an idiot. Did you even read the article?***

Oct 20, 2013, 2:37 PM

God bless blindly loyal delusional kool aid drinkers like yu***

Oct 20, 2013, 4:48 PM [ in reply to Surprised to read this Drama Queen article ]

This hurts us but doesn't kill us

Oct 20, 2013, 2:20 PM

If we still go 11-1 and to the Sugar or Orange and win, we will still have done better than so many of the over 200 other FBS teams and even most of the ACC or SEC. But we have not shed the "Clemsoning" image yet.

And maybe the more painful damage - for so long many of the pro sports types - talkers, commentators, writers - have at some point hesitated but jumped on the Clemson bandwagon only to be bounced off. We did it again. So we should not expect much favorable talk or press until we finally and honestly get to the next phase Dabo and everyone has been promising.

Re: This hurts us but doesn't kill us

Oct 20, 2013, 2:25 PM

I thought Clemsoning was losing to teams you are supposed to beat,esp. unranked teams. Don't think losing to a #5 FSU fits this category, esp. when we were the underdog.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Playing way below skill is still in the ballpark

Oct 20, 2013, 2:31 PM

Just because the competition in this case may be NC bound doesn't make the way we played any better (or worse). The sports world will not likely give up the "Clemsoning" idea or maybe even the term until we prove we are playing at the level we keep promising. Had we gotten the points we left on the field and not given FSU the 14 easy points, I doubt there would be as much discussion about whether the term. And there would be less reason to believe the underlying problems are still there to cause the "true" thing from happening again. Can't play sloppy like this against GT, for example.

Re: This hurts us but doesn't kill us

Oct 20, 2013, 3:13 PM [ in reply to Re: This hurts us but doesn't kill us ]

Sometimes you just have to give credit to the other team- they definitely were better coached-- Dabo has been lucky so far -

Getting embarrassed at home is just as bad and maybe worse

Oct 20, 2013, 3:33 PM [ in reply to Re: This hurts us but doesn't kill us ]

Than an occasional letdown. The letdown means you can win

Jarrett is being held in the photo like he and Beasley were

Oct 20, 2013, 2:24 PM

All night

Yep. I won't use it as an excuse but, they should either

Oct 20, 2013, 2:33 PM

a) Do away with holding, as a penalty or,
b) Call it.

FSU held all night long.

2009_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You nailed it. 100% correct assessment of last night's game

Oct 20, 2013, 2:27 PM

and the unfortuante consequences of it.

Little dramatic buddy

Oct 20, 2013, 2:33 PM

A loss is a loss. 37 or 3. All the yards, stats,etc are for fans and media. there is no way to know how this game would have been without the turnovers. turnovers make good team look great,when on the receiving end and good teams look very average when turning the ball over. all this focus on whee the program is just wastes time. play each game and assess at years end. go tigers

My guess is you didn't watch the game

Oct 20, 2013, 4:48 PM

We were dominated in EVERY phase of the game by superior athletes. Sammy is the ONLY Clemson starter who would start at FSU. Think on that for awhile. OL/DL got tooled ALL NITE LONG. You don't win big games losing that bad in the trenches. Boyd was awful and should have been pulled. Chad called a terrible game - again. The list goes on and on and on.

Sorry - this was a epic arse-whipping on our home turf on national TV in prime time. I'm glad you are comfortable with it and go your merry way. I am not in your camp.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 20, 2013, 3:00 PM

We will see from this point on if everyone is still all in. We know one thing for sure, no one was in last night even with it being the biggest college football game of the season so far??? That was an awful game to say the least.... No way any team ranked in the top 10 let alone the top 5 should get beat by anyone even the number one team in the country at home by 37 points. Were we over ranked?? I guess you would have to say yes... All I know is something went really wrong last night and it is going to be quite the task to try and fix it...

WVU spanking worse. Did NOT take step back. FSU took 4 steps

Oct 20, 2013, 3:13 PM

The WVU debacle was classic Clemsoning-- losing to a team with inferior talent, that you have no right losing to. The FSU game was not that.

Across the board, FSU fielded superior, eye-popping, athletes and simply out-talented us everywhere on the field, and it showed on the scoreboard-- just like when we were exposed as posers on a neutral field against a more talented Bama in '08. Home field advantage is typically worth about 3-points, and that's just not enough to overcome the talent differential. FSU is back and unless they fail to retain a top tier coaching staff or somehow stop pulling in Top 5 recruiting classes, they will continue to dominate Clemson for the foreseeable future-- unless perhaps we get lucky and they pull a major Clemson.

FSU can recruit a ton of talent in their back yard with little academic restrictions. Dabo and his staff are largely very good recruiters, but they recruit in a neighborhood with 8 D-1 schools and a more limited talent-pool-- and we have to get our players past Tilghman Hall. (Sure, Clemson can pluck the occasional 5-star Spiller or Watkins out of FL or a neighboring state, but not as easily as FSU can gather talent in their backyard.) I don't see any of that changing, so get used to FSU dominance-- like back in the 90's when they out-talented us AND had a good coaching staff in place.

FSU's talent is now top-tier dominant, like Bama's, and I think FSU could go toe-to-toe with Bama today. Clemson's talent is simply a notch below that and for the most part that's not our staff's fault-- although they could be a bit better at recruiting (especially in NC) and roster management (encouraging the dead-wood schollies to play elsewhere rather than riding the pine at Clemson).

We took two steps forward over the last few years and zero steps back. It's just that FSU took 4 steps forward. I think Clemson is about as good as it's gonna get, and so is FSU-- except that if FSU wins it all, they have a chance to snowball a bit on talent.

I think Dabo and his staff are doing a good job now and they're very good recruiters so I don't blame that beat down on the staff or Boyd or anybody else. But part of the reason that we're in a position where we're no longer dominant in recruiting in South Carolina is that SCar hired a proven, name-brand, national-championship caliber coach, while we clung to mediocre "Clemsoning" Tommy Bowden and promoted a no-name WR-coach to do on-the-job training. That gave SCar an opening to challenge us for recruits and establish a roughly equivalent-caliber program (unlike the historical norm), so we are no longer THE PLACE to be for in-state recruits and we are no longer the premier program in the neighborhood. I think the current situation could have been mitigated and Clemson would have been more successful sooner if the administration had fired Tommy Bowden sooner and/or hired a great, seasoned coach who could have hit the ground running thereby establishing Clemson as THE premier program in SC, and stemming the flow of in-state and regional recruits to SCar, et al.

During the latter Bobby Bowden years and coaching-change turmoil FSU had a marginal coaching situation that kept us in the hunt. But now they have a competent staff, and if you look at the recruited-talent charts for the last several years, you'll see that we used to be equivalent to FSU, but they've pulled significantly ahead in the last 2 years. Similarly, we used to dominate SCar in talent, but they've pulled even in the last 2 years. All of that has been reflected on the scoreboard over the years.

Two-deep recruited talent tables for Clemson & FSU.
2013:
http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2013/10/16/4836800/2013-florida-state-clemson-depth-chart-analysis

2012: http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2012/9/20/3355392/clemson-florida-state-2012-depth-chart-comparison

2011: http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2011/9/21/2438964/clemson-vs-florida-state-depth-chart-talent-analysis

2010: http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2011/5/17/2170690/two-deep-recruiting-comparison-clemson-vs-florida-state-2010

Two-deep recruited talent tables for Clemson & SCar.
2012: http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2012/11/21/3666906/south-carolina-clemson-2012-depth-chart-comparison

2011:
http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2011/11/22/2579508/2011-clemson-vs-scar-depth-chart-recruited-talent-analysis

2010:
http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2011/6/14/2214467/two-deep-recruiting-comparison-clemson-vs-south-carolina-2010

Brotha I usually agree wih you, but you are 100% wrong this

Oct 20, 2013, 4:55 PM

time. "Clemsoning" is NOT just losing to inferior teams. It's also not showing up for big games. Lat night was CLASSIC "Clemsoning".

This was the biggest Clemson game since the 1982 Orange Bowl and it was a home and we didn't even show up. We gave up the most points EVER in Death Valley. We showed NO heart, NO fight!!!

Google "Clemsoning" ....

From the Urban Dictionary online ...

"The act of delivering an inexplicably disappointing performance, usually within the context of a college football season."

Oct 20, 2013, 3:29 PM

We got beat by a team that has had top 5 recruiting classes for the last 3 or 4 years. We were overrated at #3 and it stings to know that we are still far behind in getting the talent on the offensive line and a senior quarterback that throws into triple coverage. Are we better than that Orange bowl team? YES!

Oct 20, 2013, 4:36 PM

On the morning after, David Hood speaks with clarity. This is among the worst losses we have ever had in terms of the future impact on the program. I am still shaking my head in disbelief.

Oct 20, 2013, 10:52 PM

I agree. And it's only going to get worse as we fall farther and farther behind in recruiting.

Uhhhhhh.... High horse?

Oct 20, 2013, 5:25 PM

Albeit FSU may be the best team in the country.... Yet to seen.
I could have stomached a loss .... But not like this...... I agree with gmurra999 the team quit and the bench should have been cleared.
From the personal fouls FSU got in their heads and the tigers didn't play....

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Re: Uhhhhhh.... High horse?

Oct 20, 2013, 5:36 PM

Our team looked defeated before they ever took the field. I have never seen such a flat, unemotional entrance. Tajh looked scared the entire game. I could not believe this was the same team that took it to GA.

Re: Uhhhhhh.... High horse?

Oct 22, 2013, 9:58 AM

I agree! During the opening of the ESPN broadcast you could see the Tigers looked as though they were going to a funeral. There was no emotion whatsoever! FSU was pumped up and full of emotion. I think Clemson was dreading this one. Sorry, look for yourself. It's blatantly obvious!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Listen...

Oct 21, 2013, 1:56 AM

First off hats off to FSU 4 that win. Now for those of you that losing Saturday night is 'clemsoning'. YOU'RE DEAD WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I don't think we were favored in this game anyway.. what they were 3pt faves and that's 'clemsoning'? Get outta here!!!.. I could see if they were ranked like 22nd and we were 3rd and we were 20+ faves but that wasn't the case now was it.. another thing yes FSU has recruited REALLY WELL the last 4-5 yrs,but clemson hasn't been slouches on the recruit trail either. Here every body goes again 'star gazing'. listen tiger nation this loss hurts we were humiliated & humbled by a really good team,but they're is a lot to play for. We win out (and I think we will) we could 'sneak' in a BCS bid (preferbly the orange or the sugar againist an $ec team hopefully either againist mizzou or aTm) so all is not lost.

But if we 'lay an egg' againist UM. May the clemsoning term return. BUT IT WON'T RETURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....

Oct 21, 2013, 4:14 AM

I see much blind homerism in many posts here.

I also agree with several posts above, more emphasis must be given to recruiting top quality trench players. Games are won/lost on a teams ability to control the LOS. You can have all the skill players you want, if you can't control the LOS or at a minimum hold your own, it doesn't matter.

The O Line was supposed to be one of our strengths this year - it is not. The O Line simply is not winning the LOS to provide proper pass protection or to establish an effective running game. More than once this year on 3rd/4th and short or goal they have been stopped cold. To be an elite team, those situations should be golden.

FSU IMO dared us to beat them in the trenches on both sides of the ball, we didn't. As a result, on O they established an effective run game and protected their QB giving him time to pass with little pressure. On D, they got pressure with the front line allowing them to shut down the passing game with "extra" defenders and we didn't/couldn't change that with the non-existent run game. Were they the better more talented team, yes thy are. Should they have beaten us like they did in our house? No way in H#LL! Did the team quit? Debatable but it sure looked that way to me. Did the team play scared? Also debatable but it sure looked that way to me.

There are some things that have to change to fix this. Perhaps it starts with the players spending less time giving interviews and talking to the press and spending more time on the game. Perhaps it starts with spending more time on fundamentals such as proper tackling - I am sick of all the missed tackles because of the "big hit" mentality instead of proper tackling technique. Perhaps it starts with becoming physically tough on the field by spending more practice time hitting and playing live which will also foster more mental toughness. We simply can't handle getting smashed in the mouth.

It definitely has to include a commitment to recruiting more/better trench players. I think it definitely includes not being the players "best friend" and being more of the "coach". That seems to work well for the top coaches of today as well as the top coaches of the past. It also has to include changes in the coach's mindset on dealing with the big games as more often than not (with a few exceptions - UGA and LSU), the Tigers seem to be woefully unprepared for them. Just look at some of the already mentioned games, Scar for the last 4 years, the Orange Bowl, etc. In the big games on the national stage they just fall flat on their face. Being that unprepared in big games is just unacceptable. That falls squarely on the coaches as a whole and particularly on Dabo as the HC.

As a fan, I can handle losing a game if the Tigers show up, give it their all, play a good game and just lose. It can be to a better team that just beats us, a fumble, a missed kick, any bad break as long as we compete. What I can't live with is being woefully unprepared and embarrassing the University and Fans like Saturday night.

I love the Tigers and will bleed orange regardless but it is time to fix this.

Oct 21, 2013, 8:57 AM

The way I watched Death Valley empty out Saturday night as "Tiger Nation" quit on those boys, I don't want to hear anymore about the Tigers quitting. My Tigers did not embarrass me Saturday night, but the fans did! Disgraceful, and disgraceful the way fans are talking about them now!

I stopped reading at "by David Hood"...lol...

Oct 21, 2013, 11:10 AM

#journalistwannabe

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 22, 2013, 9:34 AM

If you look at the opening segment of the ESPN broadcast, you'll see Fla State players upbeat. They were dancing around slapping each other on the pads, etc. Then you look at Clemson before the game. They looked like they were going to a funeral. There was no excitement in their demeanor. Clemson has got to get a leader with some bravado that will get this team pumped up to play...get them to believe they can beat any team in the top ten. This thing about having an even temperament doesn't get it in today's NCAA FBS. Tahj Boyd was running scared the whole game. You have got to have a leader that can take what the defensive and the offensive line gives him and play the game. Cole Staudt should have been in the game for at least one or two series just to let Boyd know he needed to get his act together.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic