Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Clemson-Florida St. prediction
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Clemson-Florida St. prediction

Oct 18, 2013, 11:09 AM

Clemson-Florida St. prediction

National Championship hopes. Atlantic Division title. Top 5 rankings. There is a whole lot on the line Saturday. Who will win? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not sure a guy who calls himself Butt-head...

Oct 18, 2013, 11:14 AM

Is taking the football board seriously.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe not, but he's beating three other TNet writers...***

Oct 18, 2013, 11:19 AM

Okay, Butt-head...

Oct 18, 2013, 11:20 AM

:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So you'd think little of my 42-23 prediction?

Oct 18, 2013, 11:21 AM [ in reply to I'm not sure a guy who calls himself Butt-head... ]

I predicted 3 FGs from FSU's kicker.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I went down that road before the season...

Oct 18, 2013, 6:47 PM

started, but... not sure I'll say that again.

i RA every pigskin prophet for starting the funny...

Oct 18, 2013, 11:22 AM [ in reply to I'm not sure a guy who calls himself Butt-head... ]

it's the right thing to do.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good job. All business all day.***

Oct 18, 2013, 11:23 AM

null

i'm one person, i can only do so much.***

Oct 18, 2013, 11:24 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm doing my part as well. No more LOLs or LMAOs

Oct 18, 2013, 11:25 AM

tolerated.

null

i hope your good works don't go unnoticed.***

Oct 18, 2013, 11:26 AM

Franc, your Tigah Boord pic makes me laugh every time!

Oct 18, 2013, 12:37 PM [ in reply to I'm not sure a guy who calls himself Butt-head... ]

Love it!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Go Tigers! Beat the Criminoles!***

Oct 18, 2013, 11:27 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

thanks from bringing it back in... go tigers!***

Oct 18, 2013, 11:27 AM

I couldn't be more proud right now.***

Oct 18, 2013, 11:29 AM

null

i think we're finally hanging out with the right crowd...***

Oct 18, 2013, 11:30 AM

I hope Crump notices the immediate dividends.***

Oct 18, 2013, 11:31 AM

null

look at you being unselfish again.***

Oct 18, 2013, 11:34 AM

I bet Crump's the one giving us points.***

Oct 18, 2013, 11:41 AM

null

4th matchup in ACC history of top 5 teams, road team has

Oct 18, 2013, 12:23 PM

won the previous three.

Gotta break that streak!

Nice write-up. Link to an excellent detailed analysis here.

Oct 18, 2013, 1:26 PM

http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2013/10/18/4843162/2013-florida-state-clemson-game-preview

Special Teams

Oct 18, 2013, 1:42 PM

I agree with everything other than I wouldn't say we have "explosive kick returners".

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Explosively... average?

Oct 18, 2013, 3:11 PM

I'll settle for steady hands, though. Our offense more than makes up for shorter returns.

FSU's recruited-talent gap is increasing, which is worrisome

Oct 18, 2013, 1:51 PM

In recent years the recruited talent-level in the 2-deep between FSU & Clemson was pretty similar, (see links below) with FSU having only a slight, but increasing edge (per the recruiting services). The worrisome thing this year is that FSU's talent level on the 2-deep is broadly distributed and has really jumped, from being about even a few years ago, to being about a 0.25 stars advantage last year to being a 0.5 star advantage this year. A half-star advantage is roughly what Clemson holds over a team like NCSU.

Of course the recruiting rankings aren't perfect indicators, and other factors like player development, game planning, preparation, home field advantage and the bounce of the ball can be factors. But more often than not, if a team has a half-star talent-advantage, that portends a win for similarly well-coached team (which I think is the case here). So I'm less optimistic about this game than the T-Net forecasters. I think the team and the crowd need to bring their A-game, the front-4 has to pressure Winston, and FSU has to play less than their A-game for Clemson to pull this one out. Go Tigers!

Two-deep recruited talent tables for Clemson & FSU.
2013:
http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2013/10/16/4836800/2013-florida-state-clemson-depth-chart-analysis

2012: http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2012/9/20/3355392/clemson-florida-state-2012-depth-chart-comparison

2011: http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2011/9/21/2438964/clemson-vs-florida-state-depth-chart-talent-analysis

2010: http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2011/5/17/2170690/two-deep-recruiting-comparison-clemson-vs-florida-state-2010

did fsu wear their +1 star jerseys last year in raleigh?***

Oct 18, 2013, 1:59 PM

Just like CU wore +1 jerseys in 2010 (6-7) & in Raleigh 2011

Oct 18, 2013, 3:10 PM

As I wrote, there are many factors.

awesome, they're going to play the game after all...***

Oct 18, 2013, 3:35 PM

Yep. Even though people write articles or post comments.***

Oct 18, 2013, 9:37 PM

amazing. so, everything else being equal, the more talented

Oct 18, 2013, 9:47 PM

talent wins more times than they don't.

why not post the team that scores more points wins more times than they don't?

it's on the same limb.

I posted the 2-deep data as an FYI. YOU mocked the value!

Oct 20, 2013, 1:48 AM

I just posted the data for people who are interested in intelligent football discussion, not for knee-jerk pumpers. Gee, I guess that data that I posted actually did portend a win by FSU, just like I said. But I'm sure you dismissed the data and predicted a Clemson win, right?

Re: FSU's recruited-talent gap is increasing, which is worrisome

Oct 18, 2013, 2:05 PM [ in reply to FSU's recruited-talent gap is increasing, which is worrisome ]

Stars really don't matter outside of recruiting. You don't win football games based on that. Florida State has out-recruited us every year for 20 years and it's "their year" every season but they have very little to show for it over the last 8-10 years. Jimbo does less with more better than anyone else. Perennial top 5 recruiting classes and numerous times they were National Title favorites over the years. I'm not worried but I'm not guaranteeing a win by any means. I think our coaches will be ready and the players will play their game and play well.

No. Stars do matter and FSU didn't always out-recruit us.

Oct 18, 2013, 3:03 PM

Back in the Bowden era, FSU handily out-recruited us and they owned us. Then in more recent years the talent gap narrowed and the balance of power became roughly even. Now the gap is increasing and that's worrisome.

Not sure how you can say Jimbo Fischer does less with more than ANYONE else. (Bobby Bowden, Tommy Bowden, Mack Brown, Dabo's 6-7 season in 2010?) In his 3 years as head coach, Fischer is 36-10 with 2 Atlantic titles and one ACC title.

Here are links to 6 articles providing statistical analyses that recruiting star-rankings do matter.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Star-Power-Recruiting-gurus-All-American-track?urn=ncaaf-311830

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Star-Power-Recruiting-gurus-track-record-at-th?urn=ncaaf-312394

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Star-Power-Judging-the-recruiting-rankings-gam?urn=ncaaf-312875

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Star-Power-The-nation-s-most-overachieving-team?urn=ncaaf-313921

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Star-Power-The-nation-s-most-underachieving-tea?urn=ncaaf-314624

http://www.athlonsports.com/nfl/nfl-stars

You used 2 coaches who aren't in football to make your point

Oct 18, 2013, 6:59 PM

And one who's on his way out. Thank you for playing, we have some nice consolation prizes for you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

... and I used 2 that ARE still in coaching. So what?

Oct 20, 2013, 4:24 PM

I listed the 2 that aren't still in coaching as a historical frame of reference for the FSU rivalry. Is that against the rules? You should have informed me of your arbitrary rules before I posted so that I could have laughed at them then too.

Oh no, FSU has more fake sports points than us

Oct 18, 2013, 3:12 PM [ in reply to FSU's recruited-talent gap is increasing, which is worrisome ]

I have a hard time caring. Pointing out that we have a half star advantage over NC State should show you how little those ratings mean. We're vastly superior to NC State.

Exactly. A 1/2-star gap is significant as it was over NCSU.***

Oct 18, 2013, 3:36 PM

I'm with Butt Head***

Oct 18, 2013, 6:56 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic