Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Clemson's run defense to be tested by nation's leading rusher
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Clemson's run defense to be tested by nation's leading rusher

Oct 8, 2013, 3:59 PM

Clemson's run defense to be tested by nation's leading rusher

Clemson's run defense has given up some big plays over the last few weeks, and will be tested again this Saturday when Boston College brings the nation's leading rusher to town in Andre Williams. What does Brent Venables said about the rush defense? What does he remember about last year's game? Photo by Greg M. Cooper / US PRESSWIRE Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The run defense was pretty decent vs Syracuse

Oct 8, 2013, 4:10 PM

over half those yards came on two busted plays on runs and then they had the fake punt for 40 or so yards.

Agreed. Those stats are a bit misleading

Oct 8, 2013, 4:16 PM

So far this year not one team has been able to line up and run down our throats. Most of the yards given up on the ground are from a busted play that gave up a huge chunk and most of those were sweeps, tosses, etc. Otherwise teams aren't getting anything trying to pound us in the trenches.

If BC wants to run into the brick wall that is our stable of DTs then more power to them.

True. But if you take away those two big runs we blew

Oct 8, 2013, 4:29 PM [ in reply to The run defense was pretty decent vs Syracuse ]

We still allowed them around 200 yards on 46 tries. So 4.3 yards average is still pretty good....for Cuse.

Jerome Smith had to really work for his yards. McFarlane is the type of runner we need to study. He made his yards pretty easy. And Andre Williams is even better. What I don't know is whether keying on him opens up some almost equally good runners. Don't know much about BC's depth there.

Very true, that's why I said pretty decent, not pretty good

Oct 8, 2013, 4:46 PM

or great. It certainly could get better. They also had the running QB threat. BC wont have that. They'll have a more conventional running game.

But the week after....we've got our hands full with a QB

Oct 8, 2013, 4:51 PM

who can run AND throw well in Winston. We've got to make him feel pressure as much as possible. I still think he can be rattled and would sure like to see us prove that.

Re: True. But if you take away those two big runs we blew

Oct 8, 2013, 10:20 PM [ in reply to True. But if you take away those two big runs we blew ]

Why can't we stop the run?

Not to mention we completely shut them down through the air

Oct 8, 2013, 4:25 PM

If GT ran on us for 300 we would not complain as much

Re: Front Page Story: Clemson's run defense to be tested by nation's leading rusher

Oct 8, 2013, 10:51 PM

That longest run from scrimmage last week was do to a depth lineman was on a stunt to the left or used a quick step to the left move to beat his man off the ball and they had the perfect play called, a quick dive up the middle. Our lineman helped by taken himself out of the play(called or not from the sideline). His man continue on to our LB. He was in the secondary with a big gainer before the our secondary had completed their initial reads. Had our lineman stay home or played headup on his man, that play might not have gain as much yardage. That part of playing aggressive defense. Sometime you get caught.

This defense is doing exactly what they need to.

Oct 9, 2013, 10:12 AM

The style of high pressure D we are playing lends itself to some big runs every now and then, but it is also the reason we have 19 sacks and force so many 3 and outs. There has been a lot of talk about the defense complimenting the offense this year and that is exactly what is happening. The only way this team loses is if the opposition eats up clock with long sustained drives and keeps our offense off the field. Kevin Steele's philosophy was always 'make them work for it and maybe they'll make a mistake'. He never realized the 'bend but don't break' model does not work with our offense. He never seemed to get that He and Chad were on the same team. I think that was the "philosophical difference" that he and Dabo had.

Steele never liked the Morris hire.

Oct 9, 2013, 10:24 AM

He didn't want us to go to an up tempo style of offense.

I agree.

Oct 9, 2013, 11:07 AM

He resented the fact that the fast paced offense would put the D on the field more quickly. Venables understands that the solution to that, is to get em back off quickly. DO NOT allow 3 and 4 yard runs, and 10 play drives that run 8 to 10 minutes of clock.

Steele acted like he was competing against Morris. Venables has figured out how to work with him for the good of the whole.

Here's a better title.....

Oct 9, 2013, 10:29 AM

Front Page Story: BC's defense to be tested by one of the nation's top offenses.

There, much better

Coach Reed deserves a lot more credit I think.

Oct 9, 2013, 11:09 AM

When I say "more" I mean more than he gets from us.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic