Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Player Update: Martavis Bryant playing update
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 100
| visibility 201

Football Player Update: Martavis Bryant playing update

Sep 24, 2013, 11:15 AM

Martavis Bryant playing update

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football Player Update: Martavis Bryant playing update

Sep 24, 2013, 1:35 PM

Very fair by Dabo. Hopefully it is just a half game thing because Bryant needs the reps, but it is needed to prevent penalty later in the season.

null

Sep 24, 2013, 11:27 AM

I do not question the coach. I support him.

But I liked Andy Headen and Duane Coleman too, so I'm a mixed bag on how players are required to act.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 24, 2013, 11:49 AM

I liked their play, but not some of their antics. Huge difference, in my mind, and good play doesn't justify bad behavior, IMO. Good play should be expected.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't get what was so bad about what he did. Around here

Sep 25, 2013, 9:22 AM

it simply means "turn off the motor, or hit the switch" it is used when the noise is so great that one can't be heard. just because some guy on ESPN makes a big deal about it doesn't mean Dabo should cave to pear pressure.

Good for Dabo

Sep 24, 2013, 11:23 AM

and glad as heck some of you aren't the coach, since you condone some of this type stuff, from Battle to Bryant. If Dabo doesn't, we become more and more like U Miami or USC-Cola. I don't want this.

Who are you talking to?

Sep 24, 2013, 11:25 AM

99% of the posts are saying both kids should be punished.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Then I'm talking to the one percent

Sep 24, 2013, 1:00 PM

I've seen plenty of posts that show a very light-hearted treatment, "I'm proud of this Tiger", "he should have displayed his manhood this way", etc. Just super glad those one percenters aren't the coach.

Re: Who are you talking to?

Sep 24, 2013, 7:08 PM [ in reply to Who are you talking to? ]

This is stupid. Reprimand the kid and move on. Every snap and target is golden for his confidence and experience. It's not like he faced the crowd and did a complete disrespectful throat slash. Which would have been cool with me because I was #### sick of NCState laying down for everyone except us.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Miami won 4 national championships that way though***

Sep 24, 2013, 11:57 AM [ in reply to Good for Dabo ]

W/C?

Sep 24, 2013, 1:01 PM

"what good if a man gains the world but loses his soul?"

Good man? Are you suggesting the hand gesture is immoral?***

Sep 24, 2013, 2:05 PM

Explain, "this type of stuff." Then please explain why its

Sep 24, 2013, 2:05 PM [ in reply to Good for Dabo ]

wrong.

Otherwise someone may think you are just blurting out mindless brain farts.

Making him sit the first quarter should get the job

Sep 24, 2013, 11:25 AM

done. Good on you, Dabo

That's what he thought after the LSU game *

Sep 24, 2013, 12:34 PM

nm

What did he do?

Sep 24, 2013, 11:26 AM

Throat slash?

What was the gesture?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What did he do?

He made throat slashing gestures after his third quarter TD against the Pack

badge-seniorwriter.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What did he do?

Sep 24, 2013, 11:28 AM [ in reply to What did he do? ]

throat slash after the touchdown catch. I saw it and surprised he didn't get a flag.

It wasn't a throat slash. More like a chest slash.

Sep 24, 2013, 11:41 AM

Not sure if the meaning is the same or not.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: It wasn't a throat slash. More like a chest slash.

Sep 24, 2013, 11:50 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNmEZ1UrJ0I

3 throat slashes

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It wasn't a throat slash-- just wiping sweat from his throat***

Sep 24, 2013, 12:03 PM

Re: It wasn't a throat slash. More like a chest slash.

Sep 24, 2013, 12:08 PM [ in reply to Re: It wasn't a throat slash. More like a chest slash. ]

It was a happy kid that made a good play. That gesture meant no harm towards no one.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Now what will the wuffies complain about?***

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

I hear talk that NCSt may widen their field by a yard or two

Sep 24, 2013, 11:46 AM

since their players can't seem to figure out the boundaries.

Re: Was he IN BOUNDS when he did it...

Sep 24, 2013, 11:29 AM

?

jus wonderin.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Was he IN BOUNDS when he did it...

Sep 24, 2013, 11:46 AM

If I remember correctly he caught it in the end zone towards the home team's sideline. I think he made the gesture a number of times as he trotted back across the field to the away team's sideline.

there is no question we hold our guys to a different

Sep 24, 2013, 11:30 AM

standard than Stevie does with his...

and I love it

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

At least he used his hands making the gesture.***

Sep 24, 2013, 11:32 AM

OOOhhhhhhh...ICWutChewDiDare***

Sep 24, 2013, 11:35 AM

Re: At least he used his hands making the gesture.***

Sep 24, 2013, 11:48 AM [ in reply to At least he used his hands making the gesture.*** ]

It only means Got cha. I'm now wondering what do fans want. One minute its I want to see the nastiness we were in the Ford days. Then they want the emotionless china doll type. How about putting our players in dresses during Tiger walk!!!

Good job Dabo...These players need to learn.***

Sep 24, 2013, 11:33 AM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good job Dabo....demand discipline and accountability

Sep 24, 2013, 11:36 AM

that's what standards are for....good on him.

idk...kinda ridiculous if ya ask me. reprimand him sure...

Sep 24, 2013, 11:38 AM

half a game suspension is a little much to me. they should use it as an example of what not to do naturally with all the new rules on gestures & targeting, etc...since the last few seasons.
thing is, it wasn't called so let it role after using it to teach & beetch at'em some.
guys need to know they can't act like that.

that was obviously a very emotional & dirty, hard-fought game, & the guys on both sides had trouble just playing & not stopping after the whistle...
i mean look at the replay of the game if you missed it!
from the very 1st play, headbutting & pushing, lots of dirty contact in the piles & on the ground, pushing & shoving, illegal blocks (tons uncalled), & there's that perfect uppercut - but on the wrong stage (Byrd obviously deserved it from 1st play on).

I don't think Martavis should sit out more than a few plays for that, & i believe in tough discipline for stupid actions...but in such a battle of a game...
Isaiah Battle sitting out a full game is very reasonable, any more than 1.5 is excessive however.
i'd like to know exactly what else Byrd did to provoke him & warrant that...ya know he did.
but its a team sport & even if the other guys a ####### ya have to keep your emotions in check.

still, i have to say it's great to see our guys get a little mean & not take anty sheet out there on the field when everybody is watching...it's usually easy to see the other teams trying to punl our guys on the field but nobody really ever addresses it. prime examples
: Dj Swearinger, UGA @ the Hill, this Byrd kid the whole game, & many more if you only pay attention.

Mussberger was slick to blow it off & make the dawgs look stupid, but at some point these types of things should be addressed because we all know Clemson players would NEVER be able to get away with this kinda crap without suspensions, penalties, & all kinds of other punishment (yet lots of other schools can & do).

KICK SOME AZZZZZZZ!!!
Go Tigers!

this is stupid...

Sep 24, 2013, 11:41 AM

The pendulum has now swung from the ridiculousness that was Miami's flamboyant celebrations and thuggery in the 90's to today, where we're talking about suspending a crucial player for making a pretty innocuous gesture that wasn't even flagged in the game. Flag somebody like DJ Swearinger for standing over a guy so he can't get up after a hit, but don't flag every little thing like this.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: this is stupid...

Sep 24, 2013, 11:47 AM

It isn't stupid. next time it might cost us a game. Like my HS coach told us.when you get in the end zone, act like you have been there before.

it's stupid that this would get flagged...

Sep 24, 2013, 12:20 PM

and it's stupid to treat this like Bryant actually did something awful. Things like a "throat slash" gesture just shouldn't be flagged.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed

Sep 24, 2013, 11:48 AM [ in reply to this is stupid... ]

This is bordering on inane. He made a gesture, no penalty. Just tell the kid to never do it again.
This is bigtime football AND entertainment.
Stop with being so self-conscious.
Geez.

Re: this is stupid... AGREED!

Sep 24, 2013, 11:52 AM [ in reply to this is stupid... ]

this is football! its a tough sport played by tough guys...
we start to lose that when we make them play like emotionless robots!

play with smarts, have some respect, use gestures within taste.

use things like this to teach or coach from, but don't criminalize the kid for something like that.

YES, we DO hold our guys to higher standards, which is already well-documented & noted, plus shows throughout our program's & coaches discipline policies. we aren't Stevie & USuCk...& everyone knows that Dabo is a better man & teacher when it comes to morals & values.

but we really continue the wussification of the game when guys can't talk a little trash on the field & have fun. same stuff you do in backyard games, pick-up B-ball, church-league sports even...& lets not forget cornhole.

standards that set us apart, yes. unreasonable standards for the sake of pleasing the media or other teams fans, no.

2 players are being disciplined for non-football #### in a

Sep 24, 2013, 12:01 PM

football game.

neither were involved in a football play.

as you say, it was a tooth n nail, hard fought game; it would be pretty hilarious if a non-football 'play' cost clemson in a game such as that or any game for that matter.

it's ####### stupid.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would consider catching a touchdown pass as being

Sep 24, 2013, 12:05 PM

involved in a football play ;)

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

i don't believe dabo is sitting him for finally catching a

Sep 24, 2013, 12:07 PM

pass.

suspend Battle, absolutely...

Sep 24, 2013, 12:24 PM [ in reply to 2 players are being disciplined for non-football #### in a ]

I'm not one that's particularly upset about what Battle did, although I think he should be punished. Sometimes you really ought to break the rules, and that might've been one of those times.

On the other hand, I don't think a "throat slash" gesture should be penalized unless somebody does it in the face of another player to incite them. As far as I know, that's not what Bryant did, and it's probably why nobody saw him do it and why he wasn't penalized. What's next, penalties for guys who jump around because they're excited about doing something good because it might hurt the other team's feelings?

you can "break" the rules without throwing a punch. forget

Sep 24, 2013, 12:29 PM

that dabo will kick him off the team if it happens again, the ncaa by rule ends his season.

it doesn't belong in football and that's why they eject them then let them sit out the following game.

if you played camgee, you know it's a great game to get some without throwing a punch.

i don't get this one of those times to break the rules. you don't have to take a swing to jack someone up in football.

not saying Dabo is wrong or stupid! not by any means

Sep 24, 2013, 12:22 PM [ in reply to Re: this is stupid... AGREED! ]

but some of our overly self-righteous fans who believe in policing the game of football with an iron fist of rules like a dictator & banning everything from sticking out your tongue, to jubilation with reasonable hand gestures, to eventually ban players butt-patting each other to make it compliant with sexual harrassment laws need to get down off of their horses & walk with the rest of us some!

i AGREE in discipline for the right reasons & at the right time, with the correct measures.

i DO NOT agree for slandering our players & referring to them as thugs & such, being overzealous with our punishments to make a point because some fan-bases, pundits, & social media are crying that our guys are dirty.

it's FOOTBALL not CHURCH! don't watch or go if you don't believe in it...simple!

discipline them accordingly for doing something wrong, but don't drag them under the bus or behind the truck because they're out there doing something tough that we like to watch. it's a teaching opportunity, not a Crucifixion...DAYUM!
we still want the guys to play & remember they are still just young adults in the maturation process, which why it's so great they have role models like Dabo & staff to look up to & be mentored by.

not allowing guys to play with emotion on the field & panzy-fying the game will not make it better to watch & will further make college football into a business instead of a game. when everything's controlled then it isn't any fun.

we put warriors on the field to see them play.
it would be like dog-fighters putting 2 pitts in the cage & them only sniffing butts & licking nuts...or chicken-fighters putting to roosters in the cage & them laying eggs!

good for Dabo for having our team under control & showing them discipline...but lets not push it or overdo it here. its a college sport, not life or death, let'em play.

Re: not saying Dabo is wrong or stupid! not by any means

Sep 24, 2013, 12:53 PM

They can play with emotion, just not slashing anyone's throat or upper cuts.

How about trusting that Dabo knows Martavis better than you?

Sep 24, 2013, 1:14 PM [ in reply to this is stupid... ]

Dabo sees these guys in practice, pre-game, during the game, post-game, etc. better than any of us do. I'm sure he has seen tendencies or actions in Martavis in the past, and maybe has given him some leeway when it comes to stuff like this before. This could be the "final straw" so to speak. Did you think of that?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

I don't agree with punishing Bryant...

Sep 24, 2013, 1:29 PM

Perhaps Bryant saw his QB make the "Manziel Money" gesture after a touchdown and noticed that no punishment was handed to Tajh? It's actually quite ridiculous to punish him for this.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Folks ...

Sep 24, 2013, 11:51 AM

We have ourselves a good and classy coach.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Absolutely, and what he did was not stupid***

Sep 24, 2013, 11:59 AM

Re: Folks ...

Sep 24, 2013, 12:15 PM [ in reply to Folks ... ]

I wonder what Les Miles would do...team captain?

Sep 24, 2013, 12:27 PM

I really see the reasons why Dabo keeps a firm hand on the bridle. But I think that taking the bridle off just to use the hackamore is over reaching.

Sep 24, 2013, 6:33 PM

What he is doing seems to be working. I don't have a problem with keeping a tight rein on these guys, but I know others have differing opinions. None of us know what has been said about this kind of stuff in team meetings, and Dabo may have addressed this type thing specifically.

Sep 24, 2013, 12:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Folks ... ]

Nothing, but what he does or doesn't do shouldn't impact our decision, and in this case it didn't. Miles is a good coach with a good team. We have that, too, but I'd bet our guys are learning better life lessons to go along with the football success. By the way, spurlid would do nothing either, but I would not hold his disciplinary actions up as a good example.

Bryant has numerous "2nd chances"***

Sep 24, 2013, 12:37 PM [ in reply to Folks ... ]

Re: Bryant has numerous "2nd chances"***

Sep 24, 2013, 12:50 PM

He has messed up a couple of times, and he has served punishment each time. Missing the bowl trip was a huge punishment for a serious issue. This punishment will fit the crime, quite unlike Garcia over and over and over and over, ...

Overreaching on this one, Dabo.......overreaching.

Sep 24, 2013, 12:08 PM

Simple chest slash, if you will, players have been doing forever. That wasn't the T.J. Yeldon f.u. to Manziel throat slash move. Relax, Coach. Concentrate on real junk like Battle's idiotic move.

a salute garnered d allen 15 yards, 3 slashes across the

Sep 24, 2013, 12:22 PM

chest would have done the same if the refs had seen it.

it's a taunting rule; nothing simple about what martavis did.

i wouldn't be surprised if it brought to the attention of the league by someone watching or the person at the game reveiwing the refs.

So you think Allen should've been penalized?

Sep 24, 2013, 12:25 PM

If you do, you may be beyond help.

you're a moron. where did i say i thought he should have

Sep 24, 2013, 12:30 PM

been penalized?

Oh, so you must think Allen should've been suspended

Sep 24, 2013, 1:11 PM

especially if he wasn't penalized. Or maybe you're just really bad at writing out coherent thoughts.

i pointed out that d allen was penalized for something

Sep 24, 2013, 1:20 PM

as simple as a salute & if bryant had been seen he would have been penalized for doing something far worse[3 slashes, not 1] in comparison.

the only one suggesting suspension in any way, shape or form for allen is you.

i'm sorry that's over your head.

Right, so what point are you actually trying to make?

Sep 24, 2013, 1:36 PM

Allen got penalized, yeah. I don't think he should've been penalized, just like I don't think whatever Bryant did should've been penalized. However, since you seem to think we should be penalizing guys for "taunting" (even when nobody apparently was being taunted), you must think Allen should've been penalized and suspended.

I don't think anybody but you is questioning whether what Bryant did was a penalizible offense.

i never said one way or the other about 'should have'. once

Sep 24, 2013, 1:54 PM

again, that's all on you.

it wasn't 1 slash as filo suggested it was 3 & the ncaa doesn't tolerate the act; it's a taunt.

just because the penalty might be the same, the acts are far different. allen was penalized for a choreographed salute; it was a tribute, but still illegal. martavis' was a taunt, a slash & should have been penalized. if you look up the board, there are those that say because it wasn't flagged, it doesn't exist.

do you think you can figure out why they're different, why they are viewed differently by the staff or do you need me to walk you through that too?

can't wait for you to read something else into this that just doesn't exist.

You do know that Saban sat Yeldon

Sep 24, 2013, 9:54 PM [ in reply to Overreaching on this one, Dabo.......overreaching. ]

For the exact same throat slash you are using as an example right? I suspect the punishment will likely be the same -he'll sit the first quarter. Dabo is showing the team the standard of behavior he expects.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What's the punishment? 1 play, 1Q? Same as if playing FSU?***

Sep 24, 2013, 12:09 PM

Re: What's the punishment? 1 play, 1Q? Same as if playing FSU?***

Sep 24, 2013, 1:55 PM

More than likely 1 qtr, just like Saban did for Yeldon for the same thing basically. Doesn't really matter, suspend him for a half would be fine. What do you think....he should be suspended for 3 games for that? lol I know its a itch for you to jump on this, but its not serious enough so don't bother reaching. There was no DUI or underage drinking going on here...ya know.

How bizarre!

Sep 24, 2013, 9:02 PM

If it were up to me I wouldn't suspend him at all, but you think I'd suspend him for 3 games? You "know" it's an itch for me to jump on this, when I didn't.

How illogical & bizarre!

How about Tajh and his "money" gesture?

Sep 24, 2013, 12:16 PM

I don't see a big difference between the two.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

agreed. you want to discipline one for a gesture, you need

Sep 24, 2013, 12:22 PM

to make it across the board. i don't see a big difference myself. football is an emotional game, you have got to let the guys show some emotion,imo.

There is a way

Sep 24, 2013, 12:38 PM

to show your emotion and a way to react to the antics of a jerk like Byrd. You go out on the field and knock the holy shyatt out of the opponent on EVERY play. There were several examples of great hits in the NCSU game that Dabo could show the team and explain that this is the way to take care of a team when they try to intimidate you.

The difference is that Tajh has been a model student athlete

Sep 24, 2013, 1:20 PM [ in reply to How about Tajh and his "money" gesture? ]

He has more "money in the bank" due to his good behavior. I'm sure Dabo talked to him about it. Martavis, on the other hand, has been somewhat immature by all accounts and is just now buying into the system as a junior. He has not earned what Tajh has.

It's not just about the gesture, but who made it and what else they have done in the past.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

maybe, but this shouldn't be a mark against him

Sep 24, 2013, 1:39 PM

Ridiculous to penalize things like this, and just as much of an overreaction to punish the guy afterwards when he wasn't penalized. Obviously, the rules being what they are, you've got to do something to get it into guys' heads that they can't do this. But it's all pretty dumb.

I agree to a point, but shouldn't someone like Bryant

Sep 24, 2013, 3:24 PM

especially, learn a lesson that, even though you didn't get caught by the refs, you still committed a crime? (obviously, I'm exaggerating the severity for the example)

The money gesture isn't threatening to anyone. Showy, yes,

Sep 24, 2013, 3:14 PM [ in reply to How about Tajh and his "money" gesture? ]

but that is a gesture from a recent music video (Drake, I believe? I could be wrong), and hasn't been penalized yet. I bet Dabo didn't even know what it was in the UGA game.

Threatening gestures, including the *specifically* mentioned throat slash gestures have had rules set up to penalize it.

Hate the rule all you want, but it should be followed until it's changed, or it affects the team. I don't like the money gesture, either, or any gesture that draws personal attention, but no rules were set up to penalize players who do it.

I still hate the guy who calls attention to himself on a great hit...after the runner got 7 yards on him...

extra running at practice? sure....missed PT? ridiculous

Sep 24, 2013, 12:18 PM

especially considering

A. it wasn't even penalized

and

B. he's now our #2-ish WR that needs these reps

the punishment definitely didn't fit the "crime" here.

I applaud the action, not the publicity...

Sep 24, 2013, 12:35 PM

Since the gesture didn't result in a penalty, my wish is that it was handled totally in house.

The players would know why Bryant wasn't playing at whatever time (maybe he'll be benched for the 4th quarter?) and if anyone asked about in in the post-game, Dabo could have said "Well, he did such-and-such last week." that would be it. No worries, no speculation.

By announcing this now, it becomes part of the pre-game panorama ... which I don't think it needs to be.

Nothing major, just wish it had been handled thusly.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree... I think its a good move, but in house better***

Sep 24, 2013, 12:45 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Might as well drop the hammer on him, It's just Wake.

Sep 24, 2013, 12:47 PM

Still seems too harsh and unfitting for the severity of what he did. What next, sitting out a game for hitting a guy too hard (legally)? I wouldn't over-sensitize a football player toward socially acceptable behavior to the same extent but hey, that's just me.

I think it is.....

Sep 24, 2013, 12:50 PM

"right on target"!!!! I call it like I see it and it was a "thug" move, no question about it and there is no place for that kinf of trash in college football. If the Pros want to do it....so be it, that's way I don't watch Pro ball to begin with. I've always said if you talk like a thug, walk like a thug, look like a thug and act like a thug....then you must be a thug. If you don't want to be associated with it, then don't act like it. Maybe one day this kid will "get it"??????

Can you choose only two of those options and still NOT

Sep 24, 2013, 12:52 PM

be considered a thug? Let's say I want to walk and talk like a thug, but not look like a thug or even act like one. Maybe I want to talk and look like a thug, but walk fairly non thuggish?

i'd better add that i don't personally condone c0ck-fighting

Sep 24, 2013, 12:56 PM

or dog-fighting...those were just used for examples to make my point. lol

i'm humane, but i like my football played brutally

Go Tigers

Re: Can you choose only two of those options and still NOT

Sep 24, 2013, 12:56 PM [ in reply to Can you choose only two of those options and still NOT ]

Then that would just make you a "punk".....Punk

Okay, okay....settle down. I can sense you bowing up

Sep 24, 2013, 1:22 PM

over the keyboard, maybe even looking to do a shirt rip here in a sec. Relax, don't be a redneck.

Surely Dabo has heard of wind sprints, up downs, and

Sep 24, 2013, 1:06 PM

running stadium steps. The penalty would be 15 yards unsportsman like conduct......no ejection. We are going worse than the rules.......congrats for your best game???

Overreaction by Coach Swinney...

Sep 24, 2013, 1:10 PM

Listen I am not a young man anymore, but most of these kids make that gesture across their chest to signal "Game Over". I normally support Dabo when it comes to disciplinary actions, but this seems a little ridiculous. You're punishing a player for an on field gesture that didn't garner a flag or penalty.

Go Tigers!!!

I agree with the Battle suspension but I disagree with suspending Bryant!***

Sep 24, 2013, 1:12 PM

Don't agree with this call...

Sep 24, 2013, 1:18 PM

I usually support Dabo 99% of the time, but these are kids out there having fun trying to make statements for themselves and the team. A cutthroat gesture should not be taken in its literal context on the field. Although he didn't get flagged, he very well could have, so make and example of him in private amongst the team, not in public. This, for all of you who think Dabo is just being a good representative of our program, is really demoralizing from a player standpoint. We're trying to recruit at a high level, and honestly kids want to go to a university where they can showcase their talents and have fun doing it. When a player scores and turns around to run back to the bench deflates all excitement for the player as well as the fan. Let the kids play and have fun without demoralizing them. After all, a celebration is merely a celebration in my book. Whether Tahj flashes the "Manziel Money" or Bryant flashes the "cutthroat", it is what it is and that's all that it is.

Agree 100%***

Sep 24, 2013, 1:19 PM

Sep 24, 2013, 1:27 PM

In my opinion this is foolish. Make him do some extra sprints or something like that at practice. This is a guy who needs to build confidence, not get suspended for part of a game when he finally starts getting some. The gesture was stupid, but this is too much in my opinion.

Let's see how long he's out...

Sep 24, 2013, 1:52 PM

I haven't seen Dabo quoted anywhere about how much time it will cost him. The stuff about him being out for a half sounds like speculation (and a little much).

I think he could sit him for a series or two, cost him his "start" and have the message stick for everyone without going overboard.

That is pretty much what would have happened if he had taken a 15-yard personal foul during the game and no one would have batted an eye at it.

Sep 24, 2013, 2:01 PM

It will be the 1st qtr just like Yeldon. Why are coot fans on here acting like he should be suspended for multiple games or something lol...talking about itching for something serious. So sry it wasn't a huge offense like a DUI or underage drinking or whatever else. The punishment will fit the crime period.

A COOT LOGIC: "OH MY GOODNESS A CLEMSON PLAYER DID SOMETHING WRONG, QUICK LETS MAKE IT OUT TO BE LIKE HE COMITTED A CRIME! AND MAKE FUN OF HOW HE WILL ONLY BE SUSPENDED A PLAY OR A QTR."
PS: I'M A COOT AND I'M AN IDIOT.

People need to realize that their definition of "class" is

Sep 24, 2013, 2:02 PM

completely random and arbitrary. Why do so many Clemson fans irrationally hold other people to standards that have nothing to do with morality? Should a player be judged because he makes a hand gesture? Who says which hand gestures are "classy" and not "classy?" This makes no sense whatsoever. People love to be able to judge others, even for completely irrational reasons.

Lack of self awareness, baseless moral judgments and hypocrisy should be seen as classless. The silly "values" modern sports culture has created is nothing more than a house of cards.

Coming soon...Bryant loses starting position to Williams....

Sep 24, 2013, 2:07 PM

No one to blame but himself.

So making a hand gesture and having one bad game...

Sep 24, 2013, 2:11 PM

means he deserves to lose his job?

It's amazing football players have any loyalty to any program/school with the large amount of hypocritical a-holes that so quickly throw their own players under the bus. For nothing.

Recruits are treated like gods, and then once they qualify and start to work hard for Clemson they are put under a ridiculous microscope and easily tossed away if they make minor errors in judgment or don't play up to their "star" potential. What a screwed up world sports is.

Not saying immediately. Bryant has been in program for 3 ...

Sep 24, 2013, 2:16 PM

years and still can't get it all together. Just saying that he has had plenty of opportunity to "lock it down" and I predict he will continue to "not lock it down", thus leaving the door open for another talented, more hungry and focused player.

I thought he had a good year last year. He was overshadowed

Sep 24, 2013, 2:22 PM

by Watkins and NUke. Not only that he has competed with Adam and Charone. What exactly has he done poorly before the Georgia game, other than not get the ball thrown to him more?

Re: Not saying immediately. Bryant has been in program for 3 ...

Sep 24, 2013, 2:55 PM [ in reply to Not saying immediately. Bryant has been in program for 3 ... ]

Honestly, I think he's got it together. This isn't a big deal and he's far too talented. I guess it'll be good to see some of the younger guys come in and play immediately, but in my opinion Dabo's taking this one too far.

Not to excuse Bryant but I think I've seen other

Sep 24, 2013, 7:29 PM

players on other teams do that this year too. Is it a trend? Anyone else seen other players on other teams do it?

I have watched the replay several times and I think Bryant

Sep 24, 2013, 7:39 PM

Is reaching for a knife he has tucked in his sock.

I saw it***

Sep 24, 2013, 11:08 PM

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

I noticed this and questioned what he was thinking

Sep 25, 2013, 9:53 AM

Martavis had a very tough game against Georgia, dropping a lot of catchable passes. I didn't criticize him at the time and don't criticize players period, unless they aren't giving it their best. If they are trying hard and making mistakes, that is on the coaches to get the best players on the field and recruit better ones if our best ones aren't getting it done.
But after struggling early on, why would you showboat or make a demeaning gesture to anyone after finally making a big play? Act like you've been there or like you expect to be there more often. You've already let the team down with some dropped passes earlier in the season - why hurt them more with a 15 yd penalty, especially at such a crucial point in the game when NCSt is looking for anything to get a momentum swing back in their favor?
Sometimes a short memory helps these players forget their mistakes and keep a high level of confidence in themselves, but sometimes it makes them look like selfish egomaniacs out there. I know Martavis is better than that and hope this discipline helps him play to his full potential for himself and the team.

Replies: 100
| visibility 201
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic