Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
We need to Challenge the Media About "Clemsoning"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

We need to Challenge the Media About "Clemsoning"

Sep 22, 2013, 9:59 AM

I posted this on my Favorite ACC Fan site Southern Pigskin to Challenge their Writers of that site: (My handle is CU_Tigers4life over there..I can't get this site to change it....)

http://www.southernpigskin.com/forums/viewthread/10047/

Here is what I wrote:

Clemson has the Mark of the Beast stamped on them with the “Clemsoning” label that at one time was well deserved.

You media people need to go after other programs with the same zeal….Like Arkansas, Oregon State, Southern Cal, West (by God) Virginia, Kansas State, Texas…Just to name a few…..

"Clemson’s wins and consistency in the top 25 far exceed the few eggs we laid….In fact the last time we actually “pulled a Clemson” was Nov 19th 2011 When we got blasted by NC State on the road….

If you want to use the Orange Bowl then so be it…But you( sports media) should equally for what has happened to WVU since that Blowout."

Please jump in...I am tired of it....

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

Totally disagree on so many fronts.

Sep 22, 2013, 10:15 AM

First, less than two years removed from the NC State game and the Orange Bowl debacle is not much tine at all to shed our reptuation for being a team that chokes.

Second, the GT game in 2011 was really our Clemsoning moment that year not NC State. Winning the ACC should have erased much of the Clemsoning idea but then the Orange Bowl happened.

Yes there are many other programs that choke but we can't worry about them. We just need to play our games and win when we are expected. There are s number of potential minefields on the schedule-Syracuse, Maryland and Georgia Tech that we are expected to win but if we lose would be Clemsoning. Let's not step on any of these landmines!

Advocating we have moved past Clemsoning is very premature. I will say that in 2012 there is no evidence of us Clemsoning as there was no shame in losing to two top ten schools and we went on to win our bowl game. This team has the potential to put a lot of distance between the Clemsoning tag but we aren't there yet.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

totally disagree, baltimore tiger. in cfb, 2 years is an

Sep 22, 2013, 12:56 PM

eternity. a lot of your best players, you don't have but 3 years, (and they are a freshman in year 1 of those years.) it's not like we can put the franchise tag on them and keep'em here! 2 years is more than long enough.1/2 the team is entirely different, and a lot of the time, so is a coach or two.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You forgot FSU

Sep 22, 2013, 12:19 PM

I think they're by far the worst offender in the ACC. Every year they are crowned as being "back", and have done the least with the most.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree 100%...Thanx....***

Sep 22, 2013, 12:49 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

Agreed - I am sure there are teams out there

Sep 22, 2013, 12:54 PM [ in reply to You forgot FSU ]

that have had more unexpected losses than Clemson. Why single them out? FSU, for sure, is one of them, as one of the Palmering guy's proteges pointed out to him on the air.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

FSU over the last decade is worse than us.***

Sep 22, 2013, 12:51 PM

Re: FSU over the last decade is worse than us.***

Sep 22, 2013, 1:25 PM

I'm not exactly sure what Clemsoning is, since the media changes it to fit their agenda, but the most common seems to be losing a game you shouldn't as a high ranked team. I decided on top 15 AP ranking losing to a team more than 10 spots below. Went back 10 years starting with 2003 season.
Clemson has 5 such losses
FSU has 7
Texas 6
Oklahoma 9
Michigan 10

Only other teams I looked at were Alabama and Notre Dame, each with 2.

There was only 1 such loss between 1993-2002, so the term didn't originate earlier.

You have to be highly ranked to even get the opportunity to pull a Michigan, so that eliminates most teams.

Clemson has won 23 games as a top 15 team since 2003, including 5 against ranked teams.

The Media Is Largely To Blame For "Clemsoning"!!!!

Sep 22, 2013, 1:24 PM

The "pull a Clemson" stuff got started in the mid 2000s. The reason was largely because of undue hype brought on by the media. Yes we had some good players, but we were hardly loaded and deep across the roster. Even in 2008 with all the skill we had the media gurus ignored the all Freshman hardly played a down offensive line we had. We were overrated period. We had 8-4 type teams period. But because of our brand (from the days of Danny Ford) the media elevated us prematurely. And now when we have finally gotten a roster back to at least top 15 levels we get this crap because of the media's failed prognostications in the past. And if I heard the idiot Palmer right the other night if we lose to a good Maryland team on the road it is "Clemsoning"? What idiots!

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic