Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Sturgis: Clemson Fans “Get It”
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Sturgis: Clemson Fans “Get It”

Sep 16, 2013, 10:31 AM

Sturgis: Clemson Fans “Get It”

Clemson fans understand that college football is a celebration that comes only to your campus but seven times a season. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Sturgis: Clemson Fans “Get It”

Sep 16, 2013, 10:43 AM

in a dream world this article makes sense. but there are also those fans who go to a game to get drunk. So every game is a drinking event for some. Sad, but that is the truth.
to take your children is to put them in front of some fans (minority of the entire population) who are going to stand up and scream bull sh$%^t in front of children.
maybe I am the only who has kids....

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 16, 2013, 10:56 AM

No, you are not the only one with kids. I have 4 who are grown and on their own now.
You can't expect to protect your kids from everyday events in life. Use things like this as a learning experience and point out to them what foolish behavior they are witnessing and what not to do with their lives. There is simply no way you can prevent your children from seeing things of this sort eventually and it is much better for you to be present when they do.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 16, 2013, 11:18 AM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Sturgis: Clemson Fans “Get It” ]

I've heard language in Wal-Mart far worse than anything I've heard at a Clemson game. Do you avoid taking your kids to Wal-Mart too?

Walmart? You go there? I would hope Clemson fans

Sep 16, 2013, 1:34 PM

are somewhat above that.

Re: Walmart? You go there? I would hope Clemson fans

Sep 16, 2013, 4:21 PM

the only time I go to walmart is when I absolutely have to. like the other day I was going to go for a run but my headphones always fall out of my ears. so I went and bought me a pair of those sweat resistant headphones. They work by the way. if you're a runner and you don't have some, GET EM! but as far as shopping there, I cant stand it.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 16, 2013, 7:46 PM

I'm not as elitist as you guys apparently are, so I do shop at Walmart. Congratulations on being among the jet set and apparently the power elite. I have NEVER heard foul language or observed loutish behavior at Walmart. Just honest hard-working people trying to make it. Frankly I think you are as full of BS as a Christmas turkey. As for your elist club, I think I'll pass. In fact shove it where the sun never shines. Go tigers and Walmart.

Sep 16, 2013, 9:48 PM

its not that I think I am an "elitist" as you say, its just not my favorite place to go. mostly because the closest walmart to me is thirty miles lol. GO TARGET!

Seriously? Above that? And here I thought all Clemson fans

Sep 16, 2013, 8:03 PM [ in reply to Walmart? You go there? I would hope Clemson fans ]

had class...

Sep 16, 2013, 7:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Sturgis: Clemson Fans “Get It” ]

At Walmart? That's pure BS. Accept the fact that, like any other major program, we have some obnoxious fans who are a disgrace to the university. The police should provide them with a free ride from the stadium to jail.

Really??? Where do you live?????***

Sep 17, 2013, 9:20 AM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Sturgis: Clemson Fans “Get It” ]

Sep 16, 2013, 11:32 AM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Sturgis: Clemson Fans “Get It” ]

I have kids from age 9 to age 4 and I have no problems bringing them to the games, and have since they were 3 years old. Not everyone in the stadium is there to get/be drunk (unless you're next to the student section). Sure, all of us have a bad experience or a bad fan near us now and then, but overall it's a positive experience.

Sep 16, 2013, 11:41 AM

Can't agree with Rock Hill on this one. I have attended most Clemson games in the Valley since 1960 and rarely have I witnessed bad behavior. This does not include fans of unc, uga, scu and a few others. They seem to enjoy being arses!

I'm not saying I've never seen a Clemson fan act badly

Sep 16, 2013, 2:18 PM

because I have, including one extremely drunk Clemson fan who fell on a little girl, traumatizing her, and didn't even say sorry. If the dad had decided to kick that guy's a$$ I would have helped hold him down. And I'm guilty of using some blue language in the stands, though most people (myself included) try to tone it down when there are kids around. By far the worst experience I've had with that was last year when two SCar fans--middle aged white-haired men, even--above and to my right couldn't control their language. All that being said, I've been to probably 100 Clemson home games since I graduated and probably 95 of those have been incident-free.

Re: I'm not saying I've never seen a Clemson fan act badly

Sep 16, 2013, 4:25 PM

I actually about got tossed form a game once because some guy called my sister and girlfriend (at the time) stupid B******. I didnt even get "all up in his face" as people say, I merely told him he needed to watch his mouth and he got very defensive and it attracted a lot of attention. I cant remember what game it was, but he wasn't a Clemson fan. I want to say it was Miami.

Re: I'm not saying I've never seen a Clemson fan act badly

Sep 16, 2013, 4:39 PM

My favorite story was I was either in or very near the student section with an NC State fan who I'd invited to the game...the students behind us were very drunk. The NC State fan wasn't too bright (he wasn't a friend, fortunately) and decided to start jawing with the Clemson fan, despite being the only Wolfpacker within about 20 rows. I turned around to ask the Clemson fan to calm it down and he issued me a death threat. I just laughed it off, but it could have gotten ugly I suppose. They left at halftime anyway...this was the Thursday night game where Philip Rivers torched us all night. I think it was 38-6?

Sep 16, 2013, 7:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Sturgis: Clemson Fans “Get It” ]

I agree. How did these other neanderthals (posing as elitists)bring Walmart into the equation?

Agree. Some of the best times with the kids growing

Sep 17, 2013, 9:25 AM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Sturgis: Clemson Fans “Get It” ]

up were at the Clemson games. Had a great group of fans in our area. Worse times were at away games when you had the luck of the draw and usually got the drunk that knew it all. Just told the kids that thankfully we would not have to see them again.

I'm glad you weren't my Dad.

Sep 16, 2013, 2:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Sturgis: Clemson Fans “Get It” ]

Some of my best memories are from when I was a kid taking in a game with my family, from 'get up' games of football before the game to sliding down 'The Hill' after big wins. These were the best times of my life and the few bad incidents don't even come close to overshadowing the great times of growing up a Tiger Fan.

Re: I'm glad you weren't my Dad.

Sep 16, 2013, 8:04 PM

I agree. I've had very few bad incidents at Clemson games. I do recall the Georgia Tech fans being particularly obnoxious. Typically, Clemson fans reflect our classy program. I spoke with several UGA fans after that game and they commented on how gracious the Clemson fans were, typically offering to share tailgating with the dawg people. That to me is Clemson.

Clemson is as good as it gets. If Clemson fans scare you...

Sep 16, 2013, 8:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Sturgis: Clemson Fans “Get It” ]

... your kids are going to grow up socially retarded.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Ahh. The voices of old -

Sep 16, 2013, 12:14 PM

Dave Diles, Chris Schenkel and Bill Flemming, to name a few.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

Sep 16, 2013, 1:14 PM

Clemson backers make visiting fans feel welcome

WE MUST ALWAYS BE COUNTRY GENTLEMEN (AND LADIES).

My brother and I (both University of Georgia fans) were guests recent­ly at the Clemson-UGA game. On numerous occasions, while tailgating and at the game, Clemson fans made a point to come up to us, welcome us to their beautiful campus and wish us good luck at the game. They were all genuine in their hospitality.

Even while we were standing in line for refreshments, etc., the folks in orange always struck up pleasant conversations with us and asked us to be careful as we left the game and traveled home.

And even though the Dawgs came in second (and that was the only thing I would have changed about the day), the experience was the best we have had over many years of traveling to away games.

Other schools should take notes from Clemson on how to treat guests who visit their campus during game day.

Who knows, maybe we will all be back together at the BCS Champi­onship Game!

Noel Hendley

Greer

Sep 16, 2013, 8:07 PM

Thank you. I hope we can all continue as fans to represent Clemson as it deserves to be.

Sep 17, 2013, 8:42 AM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Sturgis: Clemson Fans “Get It” ]

Thanks for that, Georgia bulldog fan. Clemson fans pride themselves on being hospitable to opposing team fans.

We had four Georgia fans next to us on that day and as they left, we told them good luck the rest of the season, beat the gamecocks next week, and be careful on the way home.
One of those fans stopped to say that they had never been treated so well at any away game they had attended, and she said 'that includes our own fans'.

Other people are just as passionate about their beloved team as we Clemson fans are. It bodes well to treat all of them with respect and hospitality.

Thanks, UGA fan

Sep 17, 2013, 9:01 AM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Sturgis: Clemson Fans “Get It” ]

Most of us were taught to treat others as we want to be treated. Thank you for taking the time to express your feelings about Clemson. We feel the same. Congrats on beating South Carolina.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

All teams have good and not so good fans

Sep 16, 2013, 1:55 PM

I have heard some really foul language at some Clemson games but nothing I don't hear at work everyday, but people are going to be people and say stuff they shouldn't especially if they have been drinking. But answering the question of why some schools have the fans and other don't its a matter of having a good product or team to put on the field if you don't have a team that can or won't compete people don't show up, winning equals better crowds of people showing up for the games.

True, but even when we went 6-7 back in 2010

Sep 16, 2013, 2:03 PM

You still saw no less than 75,000 at any of our home games.

Not saying that continued years of losing seasons couldn't make our attendance dip but it just seems like Clemson fans, at least since 2000 or so, are willing to show up regardless.

GO TIGERS

CU's foes had comparable or inferior talent so hope lived.***

Sep 16, 2013, 3:47 PM

Re: CU's foes had comparable or inferior talent so hope lived.***

Sep 16, 2013, 8:22 PM

Regarding Carolina's fans, look at the example they have: Steve Spurrier. Is he really someone who would insprire loyalty among the student body? He will throw anyone under the bus. He's a 60+ year old spoiled brat who can't take any responsibility for his team's performance. Now he's throwing his fans under the bus. His coaches fist-fighting on the sidelines?? I may be wrong, but I get the sense of a program unravelling. Why would any decent recruit want to commit to this program? Spurrier's days are done.

I'm not so sure the Scar students "get it"...

Sep 16, 2013, 3:05 PM

Link to the article:

http://www.fitsnews.com/2013/09/15/south-carolinas-student-section-needs-a-pep-talk/

Third quarter against Vandy:

We'll see. My over and under for The Citadel game is 60,000

Sep 17, 2013, 5:05 PM

It's one thing to show up for opening day. It's another to be there for a scrimage the last home game of the season.

The chances are all precious but it doesn't mean that they are all valued.

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic