Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Morris on first group: "I thought they stunk"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 79
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Morris on first group: "I thought they stunk"

Sep 9, 2013, 4:43 PM

Morris on first group: "I thought they stunk"

Offensive coordinator Chad Morris is usually blunt and to the point when he talks about his players, and Monday was no exception as he described the effort of the first-team offense against South Carolina St. What does he say about Tajh Boyd? About Roderick McDowell? What about the reserve offensive linemen? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hard to get "up" for SC State.

Sep 9, 2013, 4:49 PM

First team was informed also going in that they were not going to play the whole game. I don't know about you but both of those factors would leave me a little disinterested in playing. Must guard against complacency.

Re: Hard to get "up" for SC State.

Sep 9, 2013, 5:00 PM

and they DID NOT guard against complacency !! if that is how we play against some teams we should beat easily then some of them will beat us..

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 9, 2013, 5:33 PM

I agree absolutely.

Tell 'em coot

Sep 9, 2013, 8:33 PM

41-30

Sep 9, 2013, 8:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Hard to get "up" for SC State. ]

Or, if we don't lose, we certainly take a hit in people's opinion (people who vote on bowl selections.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 9, 2013, 5:01 PM [ in reply to Hard to get "up" for SC State. ]

No excuse if we are going to get to where we need to go. I was disappointed that we didn't completely shut them out and score 70 points. No disrespect to SC State but if we're going to be an "elite" program (which I think we can be) we need to be on our game regardless the opponent. Champions get up for every game, regardless of who the opponent is.

Sep 9, 2013, 5:34 PM

You got it.

Sep 9, 2013, 8:06 PM

TU to you. Champions understand that every game is the one that counts most. There is no tomorrow without taking care of today first.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You mean like Alabama played down? I agree they are not champion material***

Sep 9, 2013, 5:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Hard to get "up" for SC State. ]

Re: Agree. Comparing the last two games :

Sep 9, 2013, 6:05 PM [ in reply to Re: Hard to get "up" for SC State. ]

UGA Game:

Huge implications
Opponent ranked 5th
National Audience
Night game complete with blimp
Heisman Hype
GAMEDAY
Atmosphere/crowd/energy

SC State Game:

....crickets. Nothing to play for but, us.

In the end the players knew the SC State game was not going to "feel" as important as the UGA game, even though it is/was. The coaches need to keep pounding the "playing to a standard" message.

Re: Agree. Comparing the last two games :

Sep 9, 2013, 8:10 PM

They need to recognize that every game we play is important, because the rest of the country doesn't understand that there is football, that counts, past the sec. We need to be in a "Showcase" mode, because we have something they need to see. IMO

i'm not sure how old you are, or if that even matters. you

Sep 9, 2013, 6:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Hard to get "up" for SC State. ]

are dang wrong. if you have ever played any sport, and if you were any good, you realize the other team has got some ball players,too. jeez, i would like to shut every team we play out! but the PRO's don't even do that. be realistic, and enjoy the year we are going to have- i still remember '81.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

SC State was like that fat girl at the bar

Sep 9, 2013, 5:02 PM [ in reply to Hard to get "up" for SC State. ]

You banged around with the hot girl last week. Bragged to everybody, felt good about yourself and life was great. This week, the bar was full of cows, yet you still needed to get the job done. Sure, you could've scrimmaged yourself and had no issues, but you decided to bang the fat girl. Now you did your job, got by with only minor std's that penicillin knocked out. You feel ashamed, you arent going to brag, but it's still a notch on the headboard. It had to be done. Now it's over, so lets move on.

Re: SC State was like that fat girl at the bar

Sep 9, 2013, 5:08 PM

Ha!! That's a great way to look at it.

Re: LOL!

Sep 9, 2013, 5:08 PM [ in reply to SC State was like that fat girl at the bar ]

I didn't expect that analogy. Win pretty, win ugly, but, just win. Playing a lesser team carries that risk. Luckily, we have coaches that are pretty quick to jump in someones poop.

Re: LOL!

Sep 9, 2013, 8:15 PM

We are very fortunate that our coaches expect higher standards of play and higher standards of life. IMO

Sep 9, 2013, 5:35 PM [ in reply to SC State was like that fat girl at the bar ]

Hopefully move on to the next level.

Sep 9, 2013, 6:20 PM [ in reply to SC State was like that fat girl at the bar ]

Well if it wasn't nothing but fat girls in the bar, they should have tore the ### bar down and just left. But not until there was no where for the fat girls to go. And that would have been fun.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 9, 2013, 8:12 PM [ in reply to SC State was like that fat girl at the bar ]

Wow! Not sure about the analogy, but I like your intentions.

At least have enough respect for yourself to...

Sep 10, 2013, 7:26 AM [ in reply to SC State was like that fat girl at the bar ]

satisfy her before you leave her taxi fare and walk off. You don't want to be going around and leavin wimmins unsatisfied, it's just not what a real man does.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 9, 2013, 5:32 PM [ in reply to Hard to get "up" for SC State. ]

> First team was informed also going in that they were
> not going to play the whole game. I don't know about
> you but both of those factors would leave me a little
> disinterested in playing. Must guard against
> complacency.

Silly rabbit, playing against overmatched teams doesn't lead to complacency. An SEC team playing an ACC team in a bowl game leads to complacency. They just don't want to be there, dontcha know? One doesn't have to "rise up" for the small teams, only the really great ones. This happens every week to every team in the SEC and it makes them great but it's very hard to do. That's what the chickens say, anyway.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 9, 2013, 5:38 PM

And you believe the "chickens"??? How did they do this past weekend??

Sep 9, 2013, 5:33 PM [ in reply to Hard to get "up" for SC State. ]

Hats off to Morris for telling it like it was. Of course, you can't do that on this site because of the self-appointed thought police. We have a lot of work to do before going up to NC. State. Keep on telling the truth, Coach Morris. We need this dose of reality in the midst of what seems to be a "cheerleader" mentality, no names mentioned. The final score did not, imho, reflect the true nature of the game.

As Dabo says, we play to a standard.

Sep 9, 2013, 7:30 PM [ in reply to Hard to get "up" for SC State. ]

Not to our opponent. First team didn't play to that standard. Championship teams do no matter who they're playing.

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Sep 9, 2013, 8:02 PM [ in reply to Hard to get "up" for SC State. ]

All year Tajh, et.al. have talked about playing to a standard and not playing up to, nor down to, an opponent, nor getting caught up in the hype, but that may be what we did. It is very difficult to keep that focus when playing a SC State. I think we may have done that Sat. Not saying it isn't human nature, but we lost our focus. This was a good thing to see early in the season while there still is time to learn from the mistake. Lets learn, refocus and move on to our real objective which is Pasadena. IMO

The offense Saturday is what leads to "Clemson-ing"

Sep 9, 2013, 4:59 PM

I hope that's the last time we see that.

Re: The offense Saturday is what leads to "Clemson-ing"

Sep 9, 2013, 5:01 PM

sure agree!! for that reason we should have gone down in the polls!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 9, 2013, 5:42 PM

Man, another dose of reality. What a relief.

Sep 9, 2013, 6:28 PM [ in reply to Re: The offense Saturday is what leads to "Clemson-ing" ]

I actually thought we were and should have lost our ranking. That wasn't a 4th ranked team with a 4th and 1 yard and can't get it. When our guys are bigger and suppose to be better.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The difference now is that we're deep enough

Sep 9, 2013, 7:34 PM [ in reply to Re: The offense Saturday is what leads to "Clemson-ing" ]

To send in the second team to step it up a notch when that happens. We were missing that in 2011 at NCSU. Our 2nd team can beat most of the conference.

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Sep 9, 2013, 5:41 PM [ in reply to The offense Saturday is what leads to "Clemson-ing" ]

You are right, but look out man, you are going to get lambasted by the self-appointed "pie-in-the-sky" sorts who patrol this site.

Sep 9, 2013, 5:47 PM

Ahem, that would be "landblasted".

Sep 9, 2013, 6:56 PM

What are you talking about? What on earth is landblasted?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Maybe they prefer to play from behind.

Sep 9, 2013, 5:45 PM [ in reply to The offense Saturday is what leads to "Clemson-ing" ]

Certainly raises the stakes and creates a pressure situation. I coached a team like that once.

Chad always keeps it real. Love it.

Sep 9, 2013, 5:07 PM

You preach it and teach it, coach.

The last two ACC Champs have gone to Raleigh and lost.

It would be a mistake to overlook our history in Thursday night games.

Coaching staff - do what you've gotta do to get 'em ready.

This guy is head coach material. I hope we can promote

Sep 9, 2013, 5:09 PM

Dabo to Director of Football Activities or something and keep this Morris guy around.

I trust Dabo to hire a good replacement.

Sep 9, 2013, 5:19 PM

He basically found Chad Morris before he was a superstar. When Chad leaves, Dabo will make the right decision. Dabo is the right fit for a head coach.... now that he has grown up a bit and toned down the emotion.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll never be comfortable with his style of coaching

Sep 9, 2013, 5:25 PM

but I'm not saying he should be fired or anything like that. He's done a great job of recruiting and he did make a pretty good OC hire, after his initial mistakes.

His style of coaching has lifted us up from being mediocre

Sep 9, 2013, 5:32 PM

to national relevance. His hyper-emotional behavior was his biggest weakness in my opinion. I think he has reduced it well. If we win 11 or more games this year, he will be only the 2nd coach in Clemson history to win 32 games in 3 years. That says something to me.

Completely Disagree.***

Sep 9, 2013, 5:40 PM

Lolwut

Sep 9, 2013, 6:14 PM

What exactly is there to disagree with? Dabo hasn't put us back on the national scene?

"It was Chad Morris". Right-o. Who hired Chad again?

Dabo had a vision when he took over, and that vision is becoming reality. If you can't see that, you either have something against the guy, or you're just afraid to acknowledge you were wrong about him.

Re: Completely Disagree.***

Sep 9, 2013, 6:59 PM [ in reply to Completely Disagree.*** ]

Well, it is pretty obvious where your 60% rating comes from. I suppose you would like to go back to TB?!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Completely Disagree.***

Sep 10, 2013, 6:02 AM [ in reply to Completely Disagree.*** ]

CharlesTom, nothing personal, big guy, but you don't have a clue on this subject. Sorry 'bout that!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your disagreeing puts a "stamp of approval" for me.

Sep 10, 2013, 8:58 AM [ in reply to Completely Disagree.*** ]

Have you EVER been right on something Clemson?

Re: His style of coaching has lifted us up from being mediocre

Sep 9, 2013, 5:55 PM [ in reply to His style of coaching has lifted us up from being mediocre ]

He has made some good hires, and has learned to let them do their jobs and not meddle. I'm still worried about his apparaent inability to acknowledge an obviously inferior performance. Thank the lord for Chad Morris.

Sep 9, 2013, 6:07 PM

Oh, I think he's aware. He's quick quick to jump in their #### (to quote him from last year).

Sep 9, 2013, 7:00 PM

Exactly. Dabo is really good at letting the assistants do the barking.

Re: I'll never be comfortable with his style of coaching

Sep 9, 2013, 5:56 PM [ in reply to I'll never be comfortable with his style of coaching ]

u must be an idiot! before he took over we couldn't win the games we were supposed to win. now we're loaded with talent, coaches and we're playing to a standard week in and out for the most part.

Sep 9, 2013, 6:02 PM

Here we go again with the personal name-calling by the red-neck faction. I'd almost bet that this dude never attended Clemson, much less completed college. Following the Bowden debacle, Dabo has been showered with a ton of committment and $$ that previous coaches didn't have. I am totally wishing him the best, but will not give him a free ride when I think he's wrong.

Sep 9, 2013, 7:03 PM

What a joke! You criticize him for name calling and call him names. Where does that put you? On top of that, without knowing beans about him, you make disparaging remarks about where he may have attended school, etc.
You need to take a long look in the mirror. You sure don't appear to have any reasons to criticize anyone.

A coot would not be expected to like Dabo. Why not go

Sep 10, 2013, 9:00 AM [ in reply to Re: I'll never be comfortable with his style of coaching ]

back to the hen party on FGF??????????

Sep 9, 2013, 6:14 PM [ in reply to Re: I'll never be comfortable with his style of coaching ]

He said "style", which is different than a coaching "philosophy". No one here is dissatified or upset with progress or results as you suggest. All is well.

Re: Re: I'll never be comfortable with his style of coaching

Sep 9, 2013, 8:26 PM [ in reply to Re: I'll never be comfortable with his style of coaching ]

Amen brother!!!

Dabo hada losing season, wasclose to being fired, had to

Sep 9, 2013, 11:11 PM [ in reply to Re: I'll never be comfortable with his style of coaching ]

fire his first choice for OC and DC. Dabo is NOT why we are winning, Morris is and his hiring was a gamble. Besides, no top tier successful OC was going to come to Clemson given the situation at the time. Morris was a calculated risk that paid off. Period. And he is why we are where we are.

dabo was close to being fired in your dreams. he had five

Sep 9, 2013, 11:18 PM

years minimum, he just took us to the acccg in his first full year.

not only did he get the OC he wanted, he got the DC he wanted even after that & after the OB.

dream a lil dream if you think either of those men were moving half way across the country uprooting their families if they weren't convinced of/by dabo and the direction he lay out for the program.

neither had to go anywhere to move upward in cfb.

Re: Dabo hada losing season, wasclose to being fired, had to

Sep 10, 2013, 5:13 AM [ in reply to Dabo hada losing season, wasclose to being fired, had to ]

You sound like an idiot.

Sep 9, 2013, 7:02 PM [ in reply to I'll never be comfortable with his style of coaching ]

I am one of the most agreeable and enjoy life everyday kind of guy you'll ever meet.....but Tom you test my patience in a big way. Good grief, just let it go! "Please". LOL ;)

Sep 10, 2013, 5:12 AM [ in reply to I'll never be comfortable with his style of coaching ]

I guess you want Tommy West or Tommy Bowden back. You sound ridiculous.

Re: I trust Dabo to hire a good replacement.

Sep 10, 2013, 11:21 AM [ in reply to I trust Dabo to hire a good replacement. ]

I believe you're right in saying Dabo would be able to find a good replacement, but I don't think there are many other Chads out there. I agree with Charleston Tom in the sense that if Chad is really, really pushing for a HC position, we should explore all options available to keep him around.

Re: This guy is head coach material. I hope we can promote

Sep 9, 2013, 5:49 PM [ in reply to This guy is head coach material. I hope we can promote ]

That is an interesting thought. Anyone else notice how defensive Dabo was with that tv reporter following the first half in which our offense was obviously subpar? I like the guy, but what is his problem with this "all is roses" outlook?---when it obviously flies in the facts that even this reporter (and all of the rational fans) could see?

Sep 9, 2013, 6:00 PM [ in reply to This guy is head coach material. I hope we can promote ]

What an idiot

Sep 9, 2013, 6:04 PM

Maybe you are the idiot.

You still won't give up on the Dabo bashing...jeez***

Sep 10, 2013, 4:22 PM [ in reply to This guy is head coach material. I hope we can promote ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Glad Chad saw the same thing I saw Sat.

Sep 9, 2013, 5:26 PM

they stunk!

lol

Re: Glad Chad saw the same thing I saw Sat.

Sep 9, 2013, 6:07 PM

Indeed they did! And that RN calling you an idiot doesn't the facts.

Starters stunk. Others with something to prove

Sep 9, 2013, 6:34 PM [ in reply to Glad Chad saw the same thing I saw Sat. ]

looked good. Especially Stoudt.

Re: CAUTIOUS OPTIMISM

Sep 9, 2013, 6:19 PM

Is not a bad thing.

Tues is going 2 b challenging & Wed is going to be extremely

Sep 9, 2013, 10:43 PM

challenging. He didn't even mention Thursday. Probably impossibly challenging. I love the intensity and drive this coaching staff brings to the table. We never had this under Bowden.

It's pretty bad when GT fans give our head coach more

Sep 10, 2013, 5:36 AM

respect than some of the fans here (there is a post with a link about that). It was not a perfect game. Dabo is not perfect--no one is. But, refresh my memory...when was the last time the Tigers were ranked in the top three in the nation? What on earth do we have to complain about, honestly?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: Front Page Story: Morris on first group: "I thought they stunk"

Sep 10, 2013, 7:48 AM

If you are really in it to win it all. You bring the A game all the time. Cole demonstrated what that is all about. TB was slow and not focused. It is now time for the show. Also the fans need to bring it all the time. SC State is no Georgia, but we have got to be all in as well.

Sep 10, 2013, 7:49 AM

If you are really in it to win it all. You bring the A game all the time. Cole demonstrated what that is all about. TB was slow and not focused. It is now time for the show. Also the fans need to bring it all the time. SC State is no Georgia, but we have got to be all in as well.

This is what I love about Morris, he's no nonsense and will

Sep 10, 2013, 8:30 AM

tell you that you stink, if you stink. The first team offense stunk Saturday. When Tajh went out with the injury then when he came back in, they had a few nice drives to finish the half out. they played better at that point. And to be fair, the second team OL was in since late in the the first quarter. But they stunk. At one point the defense outscoring the offense 14-10. The offense getting stuffed on 4th and 1 vs SCST?! Come on guys, you gotta do better than that. How long was it before the first team offense finally converted a 3rd down? They stunk, they know, Morris told them, I doubt that it happens again. They seem to be very coachable.

agree/disagree

Sep 10, 2013, 8:48 AM

First off everybody needs to calm down and enjoy a season that we've been waitin on since dabo arrived, speaking of dabo, he will without a doubt, in my mind, go down as one of the greatest if not THE greatest coach to come through clemson. I mean look at what the man has a accomplished in only 5 yrs, yeah he's made mistakes but in the end he wins games, like someone said he had a vision and that was to go with a fast past up tempo offense which he probably thought about way before he even knew morris, so HE made the perfect hire and to counter that he gets just as good of DC! So to me the man is an amazing coach....then about our ranking, I completley agree that we did not look like the 4th best team in the nation, no energy, no consistency, poor technique, but like some1 said its hard to get pumped up for sc st but thats what seperates you from the rest, back to the ranking ill take whatever we can get with the bs SEC bias, coming down to the last couple games and were still 6 or 8 how are we gonna jump all the way to 1 or 2 to play in the bcs title game, no way!! So take it while you can get it but play to the standard!!! All in and Go Tigers! !!

Sep 10, 2013, 8:59 AM

You know I have another take on this whole thing...these coaches are smart. Who on this team needed to play well? The backups. Who needed a message sent to them? The first stringers. So maybe the coaches set them up. How would you play if you were told you would only play the first three series? If you are Tahj, who wants to win the Heisman, you would probably be looking for the highlight throw and catch. If you were Sammy or running backs same thing. Offensive line, just play enough not to get hurt. Remember Chad was calling the plays. How much of how bad they looked was his fault? I've never heard of a team being told they would only be playing the first three series regardless of the score...have you? What did that do to their psyche?

Lets face it, the first string guys got a wake up call...maybe they were supposed to. If you were going to pull something like that you would definitely do it against a team that even your 3rd string guys could beat.

The coaches are smart. They knew that coming into that game that we could be flat. Now they have something to teach with. A good swift kick in the pants is coming for most of the players I think.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't see it. You don't toy around with ANY team by

Sep 10, 2013, 10:51 AM

setting your starters up to struggle. Without the defensive scores we are probably looking at a 24-7 ballgame at halftime, and that's not even a big enough lead to pull your starters unless you are doing it due to poor performance.

FIRE CHAD MORRIS

Sep 10, 2013, 11:39 AM

WE DON'T NEED DUMPERS LIKE HIM ON OUR TEAM. WE ARE TIGERS AND TIGERS ARE POSITIVE ANIMALS. WE ACCEPT WINS AND DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE DETAILS. MORRIS NEEDS TO GET ON BOARD OR GET THE HECK OUT OF TIGERTOWN.

Re: FIRE CHAD MORRIS

Sep 10, 2013, 4:13 PM

Seriously hope you are joking! Or that is the most stupidest comment I've ever seen/read in my life!

Sep 11, 2013, 9:52 AM

Chad you are not the only one that thought they looked bad. Over confident, lack of intensity and focus. Buddy had SC State ready and made us look very vulnerable. Sammy is not back to form. Tajh was living on prior success and the D Secondary gave up the big plays again. FSU would have eaten us alive. Bald Man on Campus when reporting on will Clemson disappoint said "Don't let up" - we did. "Avoid the let down" First team did not avoid the let down. Doing the untinkable - Fisrt team did - looked bad against South Carolina State. Clowney has looked unprepared for this season. Our first team offense needs to take a lesson from that. Tajh will be burried by Watson at FSU if he does not step it up. Concrats to Cole Stout. He came to play.

CUTIGERTIM
Clemson Rat 1968
Clemson fan forever

We did give up a big play in the secondary, but we've

Sep 11, 2013, 10:01 AM

also been extremely aggressive in the box these first two games, and that's just naturally going to lead to a few plays like that. On the flip side, we've forced a lot of 3-and-outs and turnovers by being aggressive.

Anyway, we had one opportunity to make the tackle, missed, and SC State took it 75 yards or whatever. Other than that i thought the defense played great.

Replies: 79
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic