Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Update: Clemson vs. Georgia Depth Charts
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

Football Update: Clemson vs. Georgia Depth Charts

Aug 26, 2013, 4:18 PM

Clemson vs. Georgia Depth Charts

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sammy returning kicks and punts?

Aug 26, 2013, 4:32 PM

Figured that would go to some of the younger guys to let Sammy focus on receiving, but if we can get a few more moments like the Maryland game his freshman year and keep him healthy I'm all for it.

Big boost with Sammy back there

Aug 26, 2013, 6:43 PM

Teams will kick away from him giving us good field position.

Thoughts about the secondary:

Aug 26, 2013, 4:38 PM

I pray to God that Travis and Robert stay healthy. WE ARE THIN AT SAFETY. The fact that Breeland is on the 2 deep at safety is a prime example. Hopefully we get some of these young guys healthy and bring them in. I like our corners and their experience. May not be the best but they are all back and a healthy Jenkins definitely helps. I like this group and I think they will improve over last year's. I mean, we cant possibly get worse haha.

Brewer was on the 3-deep last year***

Aug 26, 2013, 4:40 PM

Tis true but he also moved from CB to S then back to CB/S

Aug 26, 2013, 4:44 PM

He had to play everywhere because safety was so weak last year. Then corners got hurt and he had to move back. This is the first I've heard of Bree being considered at safety. Also, Korrin Wiggins will start at Nickel. Good for him!

I heard they were cross training Breeland because of depth

Aug 26, 2013, 4:49 PM

Put simply Venables doesn't trust the young guys to play behind Smith yet either because they are inconsistent or injured. If Kearse comes back fully healthy then I expect him to take the 2 deep spot behind Smith.

Also keep in mind the injuries we have

Aug 26, 2013, 4:41 PM [ in reply to Thoughts about the secondary: ]

The depth chart will shift and fill out as more guys come back

Clemson

"we can't possibly get worse"; that's what concerns me.

Aug 26, 2013, 5:05 PM [ in reply to Thoughts about the secondary: ]

The guys who couldn't be any worse are the guys we're counting on.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: "we can't possibly get worse"; that's what concerns me.

Aug 26, 2013, 5:58 PM

I like our chances. Actually outweigh UGA on the O-line by 1 pound and more experienced on defense. Close but Tigers by 3.

"We cant get worse than Meeks and Hall."***

Aug 26, 2013, 7:41 PM [ in reply to "we can't possibly get worse"; that's what concerns me. ]

Re: Thoughts about the secondary:

Aug 26, 2013, 5:52 PM [ in reply to Thoughts about the secondary: ]

Really hoping Kearse puts himself into that mix by the time the season gets rolling along.

290 pounds?!?!?

Aug 26, 2013, 4:55 PM

For a NT? That's really small for a 3-4 defense.

A good NT needs weight and lots of it (at least 320). Plus they need to have a good motor. They must demand double teams from the OL in order to free up LBs to get pressure at the line and disrupt the back field or else your LB corps is going to get "eat up" by a larger OL.

I think Grantham is in for a nightmare. LB's to cover 3 or 4 WR's out of the 3-4? Vast amount of inexperience vs Morris's misdirection?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dawgs are counting on constant blitzing

Aug 26, 2013, 5:29 PM

they know LBs can't cover our WRs for long, so they'll hope to get to Boyd and not have to cover.

Whether or not it'll work all nice is a different story.

Clemson

Re: Dawgs are counting on constant blitzing

Aug 26, 2013, 6:35 PM

Never been a heavy blitzing team. Will try to get pressure from the edges. Plus, it you blitz on Boyd and come up with zero ... then we are in a world of hurt.

Hm, thought i'd heard other dawg fans saying that was

Aug 26, 2013, 7:18 PM

the plan. Unless I was mis-interpreting what they said and they meant what you said.

Clemson

Re: It's a good thing fans don't get to coach the game.

Aug 26, 2013, 8:07 PM

The fan's answer to any defensive strategy is to blitz.

Re: 290 pounds?!?!?

Aug 26, 2013, 5:46 PM [ in reply to 290 pounds?!?!? ]

Thornton is an enigma to most of us. He's described as being very athletic and plays with good leverage and power. But the last time we played with a nose that light we got blown up pretty good in the middle. We'll rotate Mayes and Atkins in behind him and they are both around 320.

aren't you the same guy who said our d-line was too light

Aug 26, 2013, 8:21 PM

to stop the run for 4 qtrs.?, when we're running d-tackles out there bigger than y'alls nt.

Re: aren't you the same guy who said our d-line was too light

Aug 26, 2013, 8:31 PM

That was hyperbole. Thornton will rotate with 2 other guys who go 320.

so what you are saying is sec 290 is bigger than acc 290.

Aug 26, 2013, 8:36 PM

i got ya. jeez, y'all got it bad! hyperbole my ####.

Re: so what you are saying is sec 290 is bigger than acc 290.

Aug 26, 2013, 8:39 PM

Whatever, 290 is 290. You've got SEC envy pretty bad. What I was really getting at is I think the strength of your line is in getting after the passer. Not so much when it comes to stopping the run. Yall look athletic but I dont think yall have what it takes to stop our running game.

Thats not hyperbole, thats opinion.

uh, thats what our line does (better than attack the qb.)

Aug 26, 2013, 8:45 PM

we need to get more pressure, the run part, we'll more than hold our own. i just don't think y'all have the passing game to defeat us, that's what i am saying. not saying we'll shut y'all out, just that we'll score a few more times than y'all do.

Re: uh, thats what our line does (better than attack the qb.)

Aug 26, 2013, 8:51 PM

You might, it wont surprise me to lose this game. We just have too many ?? on defense. Seriously Sgt...watch some UGA game tape on youtube this week before our game. Our passing game is lethal. Murray makes some ridiculous throws and our receivers are top notch. They run great routes, get good separation and have good hands. Some have track speed (Justin Scott-Wesley), some are as athletic as Watkins (Mitchell), and some are great posession receivers (Bennett and Conley). I think you'll be surprised at what you see.

Surprised about your WRs? Have you seen ours?

Aug 27, 2013, 11:28 AM

It'd take a lot to surprise me. We've got the track speed (Bryant, GHop), the super athletic freaks (Sammy, Peake), the great possession receiver (Humphries).

We lost Nuk, but the guys replacing him are experienced and have even higher upsides physically. And you can bet the farm that we'll see Sammy back to form after last year's "re-motivation".

Re: aren't you the same guy who said our d-line was too light

Aug 27, 2013, 7:15 AM [ in reply to aren't you the same guy who said our d-line was too light ]

No, wrong guy man.

Even though their base is a 3-4,

Aug 27, 2013, 4:53 AM [ in reply to 290 pounds?!?!? ]

one of the trolling mutts on this sight said they'll play a 4-2-5 most of the game when they face a spread. He said they ran the 4-2-5 50% of the time last year. I know what you're thinking, and it's the same question I asked him. He did not want to say they had to adjust what they do on D to try to match-up with our O. In the end I told him it didn't matter what scheme they ran trying to replace 8 starters on D. Just messing with the guy I asked...."if you run a 3-4 50% and a 4-2-5 50% of the time, doesn't that fundamentally mean you don't have a base anything?" Either way, replacing 8 starters and trying to teach them 2 schemes would seem difficult. Did they spend practices in their 3-4, or did they game plan for us in a 4-2-5? If they game planned for us in their practices, good luck with the coots next week. IMO, UGA starts 0-2.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't tell that to CDF or Rob Bodine!***

Aug 27, 2013, 10:47 AM [ in reply to 290 pounds?!?!? ]

So I guess Richt decided to let his Kicker get a free pass?***

Aug 26, 2013, 5:42 PM

Looks that way...***

Aug 26, 2013, 5:44 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So I guess Richt decided to let his Kicker get a free pass?***

Aug 26, 2013, 5:47 PM [ in reply to So I guess Richt decided to let his Kicker get a free pass?*** ]

Nah, thats really not the official depth chart. I dont believe Morgan will play.

Has there been any statements from Richt on him playing?***

Aug 26, 2013, 7:01 PM

Re: Has there been any statements from Richt on him playing?***

Aug 26, 2013, 7:05 PM

The only thing Richt has said is to ask him agains about Morgan's status at halftime. I've seen 2 depth charts, both slightly different, but both list him as the kicker.

Still, everything I hear from unofficial sources is that because it was a BUI and not a DUI he only got 1 game suspension instead of the customary 2.

so richt don't think people can die in the water ? did he go

Aug 26, 2013, 8:27 PM

to uga before he coached there, or what? no wonder his son attended clemson!

Re: Football Update: Clemson vs. Georgia Depth Charts

Aug 26, 2013, 6:08 PM

We've gotten bigger this off season on the O and D line. Anthony up to 245 now...we finally got some size at the LB position too.

Re: Football Update: Clemson vs. Georgia Depth Charts

Aug 26, 2013, 6:26 PM

Is anyone a little concerned about Todd Gurley? He's up to 232 lbs. I hope the front 7 is ready.

I hear he runs a 3.9

Aug 26, 2013, 6:45 PM

and can press a buick.

Hes obviously been training with Logan Thomas.

Aug 27, 2013, 5:12 AM

Gurley must be 6'5" by now too I suspect. In all seriousness, Gurley is a heck of a RB. However, the RB from LSU was over 230 when we played them, but he really only had those two long TD runs. We did hold them to less than 100 yds (99 to be exact if memory serves me) on the ground despite giving them 70+ on those two runs alone.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think almost all of LSU's RB's were around that size

Aug 26, 2013, 7:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Football Update: Clemson vs. Georgia Depth Charts ]

when we played them

Wouldn't worry about it

Aug 27, 2013, 11:31 AM [ in reply to Re: Football Update: Clemson vs. Georgia Depth Charts ]

They gift a few inches/pounds here and there. Also, while not impossible, gaining that weight will affect agility/mobility in some way. It's possible for the impact to be minimized, but we'll see to what extent that is the case during the game.

I doubt he put on twinkie weight like Tajh did a few years ago, but I'm OK with slower and stronger. Shuey will be happy to see him.

Crap, look at the size of those lb's. The dang outside guys

Aug 26, 2013, 8:45 PM

are bigger than the inside ones. 265 and 246 compared to 232 and 242 on the inside. Hope the A-gap is working like Morris wants.

More size but with less speed... It's in our O's favor.***

Aug 26, 2013, 8:50 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: More size but with less speed... It's in our O's favor.***

Aug 26, 2013, 8:53 PM

Not so. DeLoach can really move for a big man but he's more quick than fast. Jenkins on the other side is lightning fast. Floyd, who will play probably as much as DeLoach is the Black Superman.

I'll say it again, our LB's are hell on wheels.

Apparently so is your kicker! Well, #### on lakes

Aug 27, 2013, 5:17 AM

anyway. ;)

Takes a lot of gas to move bodies that big

Aug 27, 2013, 11:34 AM [ in reply to Re: More size but with less speed... It's in our O's favor.*** ]

Will be interesting to see how they're moving after halftime. I don't even say that to flame, I am genuinely curious. They've got to worry about a mobile QB, the short/mid pass game, and we'll see if our running game is working or not (who knows).

I'm sure you've practiced against a simulated up-tempo spread, but I think you'll find us a lot different than the teams you've faced last year. Going to be a very interesting chess game.

Re: Crap, look at the size of those lb's. The dang outside guys

Aug 26, 2013, 8:52 PM [ in reply to Crap, look at the size of those lb's. The dang outside guys ]

the SEC `roids sure are working in Athens

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Crap, look at the size of those lb's. The dang outside guys

Aug 27, 2013, 3:41 AM [ in reply to Crap, look at the size of those lb's. The dang outside guys ]

Georgia is running a 3-4 defense meaning one less defensive lineman in preference of an extra LB...in that type of defense the OLB need to be big because they are are like hybrid defensive ends...3-4 isn't as stout at point of attack, but those who like it tend to champion its versatility.

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic