Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: High expectations lead to huge Fan Appreciation Day turnout
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: High expectations lead to huge Fan Appreciation Day turnout

Aug 18, 2013, 7:22 PM

High expectations lead to huge Fan Appreciation Day turnout

Expectations for the 2013 season are high, and with plenty of star power on Clemson's roster, approximately 20,000 people showed up for Clemson's annual Fan Appreciation Day. While some people got to meet their heroes, plenty of others were turned away. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I got there

Aug 18, 2013, 7:31 PM

At 10am, got Tajh, Sammy and Dabo's sig. Was a good day. All these people complaining should have got there early. Took me 10 minutes to get Tajh and Sammy sig after they open the gate.

Worse Fan day ever!!

Aug 18, 2013, 10:42 PM

Next year why dont you get a life and go to church at 10AM. Sad is when you get there when the gate opens at 230 and you see the players from outside the gate. Worst fan day ever!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I take it you go to church....

Aug 18, 2013, 10:49 PM

"why don't you get a life"?? I'm sure your god is impressed.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I take it you go to church....

Aug 19, 2013, 9:00 AM

Getting Tajh Boyd's autograph >> going to church

Re: Worse Fan day ever!!

Aug 19, 2013, 11:31 AM [ in reply to Worse Fan day ever!! ]

My family drove up from Charlotte. I wouldn't say it was the worse, but it could have definitely been better. Tajh, Cat-man, and Hot Rod were all so awesome!!!! They acknowledged you, signed your item, and even engaged in conversation. Matarvis Bryant and Sammy were too busy eating popcorn and yapping with the sharpie helpers behind them. Not to mention...the sharpie helper behind them wanted to stand in between them constantly...WHO WANTS HER PICTURE????? I think these boys know how to pass along the next item. Really? All in all, i would say that the organized line was much appreciated to avoid ill-mannered hooligans that line hope and jump in front of you after you and your children have been standing there all day. Could it go faster - sure! But, it really made people respect the line and each other. A few improvements:
- tell the players NOT to eat while signing autographs
- do NOT allow any people other than security to stand behind the players (they distract the players and take away from the 'fan moment')
- perhaps give the players photo cards to sign to help speed up the line and avoid letting them sign other memorabilia
- don't let fans line up before a specified time
- host an ALL day event that really appreciates the fans (longer autograph sessions, viewing practice, games for the kids, etc...)

Why would a Duke fan want Clemson autographs?***

Aug 19, 2013, 2:50 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Well you know if you miss a day of church

Aug 19, 2013, 2:49 PM [ in reply to Worse Fan day ever!! ]

you're going straight to ####

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Heck you could make it to church

Aug 19, 2013, 2:54 PM

but if it's not the right church you're still screwed.

I think they should just discontinue the whole thing.***

Aug 19, 2013, 11:41 AM [ in reply to I got there ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I got there

Aug 18, 2013, 7:32 PM

At 10am, got Tajh, Sammy and Dabo's sig. Was a good day. All these people complaining should have got there early. Took me 10 minutes to get Tajh and Sammy sig after they open the gate.

I got there

Aug 18, 2013, 7:32 PM

He's so happy...he can't stop telling us about it

Aug 18, 2013, 7:35 PM

Also....you waited over four hours . Yeah, you win

no.. just promoting for the EBAY/Craig's list ad...***

Aug 18, 2013, 7:39 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

yupppp

Aug 18, 2013, 7:40 PM

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xsammy+watkins+audiotgraph&_nkw=sammy+watkins+audiotgraph&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

What exactly is an "audiotgraph?"

Aug 19, 2013, 9:21 AM

Is that better than a Johnny Football signature?

DID YOU GET THERE?!***

Aug 18, 2013, 9:12 PM [ in reply to I got there ]

sorry

Aug 18, 2013, 7:34 PM

### phone

so u got there at 10

Aug 18, 2013, 7:49 PM

and waited 4 1/2 hours like we did.. Happy to say that I barely made it as we were one of the last people before the players left.

No sell out here

Aug 18, 2013, 7:53 PM

My stuff going on my wall, not eBay. 4 1/2 hrs went by quick with a canopy, chair and a cooler full of beer.

Picked the wrong line to stand in...

Aug 18, 2013, 8:36 PM

Got there at 11 and was the second in line for Dabo. Didn't get any players signatures because of the size of the other lines. Had to do all over again, would have camped out at offensive side and then gone over to get Dabo. Still disappointed, though.

Re: Front Page Story: High expectations lead to huge Fan Appreciation Day turnout

Aug 18, 2013, 9:08 PM

How many did they have last year?

Were you there?

Aug 18, 2013, 10:08 PM

who were the 3 trapped in the cage? (or 4)

Last yr, it was Ellington, Sammy, Boyd and Hopkins.

Just curious.

Re: Were you there?

Aug 18, 2013, 10:24 PM

Nobody was in the cage this year. They were all together.

thanks***

Aug 18, 2013, 10:34 PM

Re: Front Page Story: High expectations lead to huge Fan Appreciation Day turnout

Aug 18, 2013, 10:39 PM

Wrong! What Fan appreciation day were you at.. UGA? It was not because we had "20K" fans. The problem was they wouldnt let you in the stadium.. EVER!

Worse fan day ever. I will not go back!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 18, 2013, 10:57 PM

wut?

Aug 18, 2013, 10:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: High expectations lead to huge Fan Appreciation Day turnout ]

I was literally like second in line when they shut the gates, lucky for me I snuck in to get my daughters ball signed..shhhhh don't tell anyone.

Wow! Never going back? Need to change your member name.

Aug 19, 2013, 10:22 AM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: High expectations lead to huge Fan Appreciation Day turnout ]

:)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Shame some fans' health won't allow them to stand that long***

Aug 18, 2013, 11:10 PM

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

Aug 19, 2013, 1:57 AM

I truly hate that people were turned away, especially kids. But if you payed any attention to the rules and layout, you had to see this coming. We were warned that NO ONE would be allowed inside before 2:30 and the players would leave promptly at 5:00. They warned us that this could happen, yet people still showed up at 2:30 and were mad that they didnt get in. I have never been to Fan Appreciation Day before and even I knew that I better be early because there was no way everyone would make it in. Be thankful that the Athletic Department and the players put forth this effort for their fans. Other schools have stopped it all together.

Aug 19, 2013, 10:21 AM

Are you implying that if all 20,000 fans had gotten there at 12:00 that everyone would have gotten in. IMO they either need to figure out a way for everyone to get in or stop it all together. Otherwise there will always be folks who are heartbroken and most them are kids.

Re: Re: Front Page Story: High expectations lead to huge Fan Appreciation Day turnout

Aug 19, 2013, 11:26 AM

The "if everyone can't have it nobody can" attitude is what's wrong with America.

we talking about kids showing up to see college athletes

Aug 19, 2013, 11:34 AM

not an oceanfront villa and a BMW.

Tailboard 73........

Aug 19, 2013, 11:49 AM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: High expectations lead to huge Fan Appreciation Day turnout ]

You are right about the rules being spelled out so we were warned. So what are 20,000 people suppse to do when the Clemson officals only allow 2.5 hours get everyone through and obtain autographs? Should we have all stayed home thinking we weren't going to get in, not knowing what to expect since this was a new policy?

You said other schools have canceled their Fan App. Days...well, what makes Clemson special is that we are different. We have the best fans in the US and need to be treated in a way that emphasizes that! We pay for the athletes' education, every #### penny of it and we deserve their complete attention for one day out of 365 days in a year. It is our day; we are in charge, not them! It is their way of thanking us for paying their way to school.

I have given $10,000 to Iptay every year during the recession when my better judgement and budget says I should not and I think I (and my wife, son, daughter in law, 13 mo. old grandson and 2 year old grand daughter) deserve better. I could hardly walk back to the car (back, knees, feet were killing me) after we finally got through just before they closed the gate and even then, 1/3 of the offensive players were gone.

I promise you that the policy will be revised next year.

Re: Tailboard 73........

Aug 19, 2013, 12:40 PM

Gonna throw that "10k a year" weight around and get something done about it. I hear ya. That's what I'm talking about.

Aug 19, 2013, 4:35 PM [ in reply to Tailboard 73........ ]

I am not saying that no one should be disappointed. Apparently you and I were in line close to each other because there were only about 20 fans behind me when they cut the line. And there were only nine players left when I made it to the table. And I was very appreciative to those guys for staying behind. My issue is with all the outrage being displayed on these threads. Disappointing, yes, but not reason for the kind of anger displayed by "tiger fans".
I was only able to get in line by 1:30 because I worked night shift Saturday night and had to sleep. I slept only 3 1/2 hours to have time to get in line by then and had to be at work by 6:30 Sunday night. Just to make it to work on time I also had to skip a meal. I did this knowing full well that I might not get an autograph, I knew that was a possibility when I set my alarm clock for 3 1/2 hours.
Was I disappointed to wait in line 4 hours and not get the O line's autographs? You bet I was, I had a panel on my football reserved just for them. Do I hope that the university can fix this? Yes I do. Do I think this is reason for people to say things like "I'll never be back" or show such hostility as I have been reading? Absolutely not, not when we were warned that being turned away was a possibility before we stepped in that line. I've never understood why so many IPTAY members feel that the players owe them something, I'm glad my Grandfather didn't feel that way for the 20+ years he was IPTAY!

Aug 20, 2013, 9:32 AM

I didn't go and maybe I have no business commenting, but it sounded like a logistical nightmare. Sounds like many people couldn't even get in the gate and many stood in line for hours, just standing and standing and standing, which is pretty boring for a kid.

Also, I think if they held it on the practice fields, they could spread the players out more. The kids could could run around and play catch on the fields and get some autographs from the 2nd stringers and walk-ons.

I understand the excitement may have added to the crowd. But when I was a kid they held a special fan day after winning the NC. Logistically, I had no problem getting my football signed by most of the team including all of the "star players."

Aug 19, 2013, 8:28 AM

long day, but a good day. we got there at 1 and got the names of all the defensive players. the offensive line was so long we didn't even bother with that one. we had a great time talking to the players. most, if not all, the players seemed genuinely happy to be there, but they were all friendly and polite. it would have been nice to get to see boyd and watkins and dabo, but a big-time program brings a big-time crowd. it was organized as well as it could have been. you have to remeber that these kids are volunteering their time and can't sit all day long to accommodate every person that comes along. got a poster framed and hanging proudly on my son's wall. a big thank you to all the players for being there.
oh yeah, the players are all really excited about playing georgia. they lit up as soon as i mentioned it.

Aug 19, 2013, 11:07 AM

Grown men should not be waiting in line for an autograph. That's just creepy.

The autographs should have been for the kids only.

MAJOR FAILURE BY THE CLEMSON PLANNING COMMITTEE******

Aug 19, 2013, 1:24 PM

BOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

There were NOT 20,000 fans there. Was there, 5K at best.

Aug 20, 2013, 9:26 AM

There were

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic