Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Slimmer Barnes looks to avoid the 10-lap penalty
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 2,037

Front Page Story: Slimmer Barnes looks to avoid the 10-lap penalty

Aug 15, 2013, 11:58 AM

Slimmer Barnes looks to avoid the 10-lap penalty

Defensive end Tavaris Barnes lost 13 pounds over the summer and hopes to play at 275 pounds this season. His position coach, Marion Hobby, checks Barnes' weight every day, and has a penalty for being even just a pound over that magical 275 mark. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Slimmer Barnes looks to avoid the 10-lap penalty

Aug 15, 2013, 12:24 PM

first tip off he is heavy- you see the broad side of a Barnes.

:)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2013, 2:03 PM

Yes but, Our coaches have found the right attitude buttons to press with ours guys the last couple of years. Our guys seem to be a lot more willing to do more of the right things that will make them a better player. They are learning how to push their bodies and mine beyond the pain level it takes to make them better. That is what develops 3* players into becoming a 5* talent, working through the pain. I do believe that IF we could keep the now coaching staff together a few more years. Clemson would be sending more NFL type players that will make it on the first team they try out for. To beat the man across from you, you have to out train and out work him to the point that you beat him every time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Does dedication come to mind when you recap that post?

Aug 15, 2013, 4:59 PM

I agree with what you said and though I'd throw that out there for your approval.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Does dedication come to mind when you recap that post?

Aug 15, 2013, 5:59 PM

Exactly, dedication is the key. Dedication to getting through/past the pain is just another level of dedication I would think. That is what I was meaning about our coaches getting our guys to go that extra mile to a higher dedication level. As in just being good isn't good enough. Work through a greater pain and be great. That is where I believe our guys are at now, to be greater than ever. We weren't there a couple of years ago, or I don't think so.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

High 4s and 5s don't hurt......***

Aug 15, 2013, 8:51 PM

Aug 15, 2013, 9:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Slimmer Barnes looks to avoid the 10-lap penalty ]

I agree with most of what you say, but believe that strength, size, and toughness starts mainly in the weight room. You can talk being physical, but if you haven't developed the raw strenth and size in the weight room, then it's all talk. In my opinion, we have a problem building players up in terms of size and strength. It's just my opinion, but I think we have a problem with our S&C program. Examples: Spencer
Region, with all the talent in the world, still allowed to languish at 30 to 35 lbs overweight. Useless. RB Zac Cooper (Or Miller, whatever his name is) still playing at 185, the weight he played at in HS. Perhaps our best defensive end (potentially) still 15 to 20 pounds below his best playing weight. By comparison, Gurley at UGA is up to around 230. Their "scat back" (whom some say is better than Gurley) weighs 217. As I understand it our biggest back weighs 205, and he's a true freshman. Now, we don't have a credible tight end, touted defensive ends just haven't "shown up." Secondary once again decimated. How do we win this game? Input appreciated.

Great stories

Aug 15, 2013, 3:52 PM

I'm loving these stories. I think Barnes is going to be nasty. Beasley showed last year that you don't need to start to put up good stats. How do they say it... We Too Deep

He sounds like another guy that is going to destroy people when he is on the field. It could be in crucial situations towards the ends of drives when we need to mix it up that he gets his chance. Last year was pinball football where some of our stats were made to look worse just because our offense was so efficient that the other team often had 75 yards and the ball after our o scored in 3 mins. We have some great talent and I am pumped to see all of these guys shred it up.

It's all from his interview yesterday........***

Aug 15, 2013, 8:49 PM

Great Stories

Aug 15, 2013, 3:54 PM

I'm loving these stories. I think Barnes is going to be nasty. Beasley showed last year that you don't need to start to put up good stats. How do they say it... We Too Deep

He sounds like another guy that is going to destroy people when he is on the field. It could be in crucial situations towards the ends of drives when we need to mix it up that he gets his chance. Last year was pinball football where some of our stats were made to look worse just because our offense was so efficient that the other team often had 75 yards and the ball after our o scored in 3 mins. We have some great talent and I am pumped to see all of these guys shred it up.

^^^ Sorry for double post***

Aug 15, 2013, 4:06 PM

Dedication

Aug 15, 2013, 9:54 PM

Dedication is essential of course. I was just track and field at Clemson, but I know I was pushed so far beyond what I thought were my limits (my scrawny pathetic frame looked more or less like a coat rack). People are capable of so much more than they think they are. I'm sure those on the board that were in the military could attest.

All of these guys seem like they could get paaaaiiiid someday if they just 100% focus on being better men every day on and off the field. That also gives them a better chance to make it that much better season anyway.

Another who might not start is Kellen Jones but he will get himself on the field somehow I would imagine. Any of these guys could do great things individually.

Replies: 11
| visibility 2,037
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic