Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Clemson's improved front seven will lead the way on defense
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Clemson's improved front seven will lead the way on defense

Jul 28, 2013, 1:33 PM

Clemson's improved front seven will lead the way on defense

Clemson's defense allowed just 102 yards rushing per game over the final six games last season, and will look to improve on those numbers this season? What does Dan Brooks think about his depth at defensive tackle? What does Brent Venables think about the depth at linebacker? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

... and ALL but Shuey and Christian should be back in '14.***

Jul 28, 2013, 2:10 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Defense wins championships

Jul 28, 2013, 2:19 PM

Go Tigers!

amen

Jul 29, 2013, 12:07 AM

you need about 16 guys you can rotate in and out who all want to punish folks...create turnovers and take over the game so the offense can shred them and demoralize them.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tossing out LSU, the other 5 teams average ranking in

Jul 28, 2013, 2:43 PM

rushing offense was 105. The jury is still out, although I do think we are better.

Good stat Spud, we'll see. thanks***

Jul 28, 2013, 7:06 PM

Excellent point, the schedule definitely got easier the 2nd

Jul 29, 2013, 9:26 AM [ in reply to Tossing out LSU, the other 5 teams average ranking in ]

half. The only two good teams we faced beat our defense. NCST put up over 600 yds and like 41 pts. And USuC put up 27 pts and had over 40 mins time of possession and converted crazy long 3rd downs at will. And we faced a Lattimore-less USuC.

But Usuc did it passing the ball, and if you watched the

Jul 29, 2013, 7:38 PM

biggest change was just that players started getting to the right gap. The FSU game was abysmal, mostly b/c players didnt know where to be.
But later, and I think it started in the 2nd half of the VT game, the defense was in the right places and forced teams to beat them physically, which they didn't do.
Mainly, the gaps were filled better later in the season, where there was always a gap for a rb to find early on.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tossing out LSU, the other 5 teams average ranking in

Jul 29, 2013, 10:24 AM [ in reply to Tossing out LSU, the other 5 teams average ranking in ]

:) If you can remember the D that I called the "Keystone Cops" when Steele was the DC, then you'd know our D is 100 times better than that nonsense. The D players would still be jumping around when their O started the play, never seeming to know what they should do or where to position themselves. It was demoralizing on almost every play. Our D today is freaking awesome compared to those days (only a couple of years ago).

That said - our D absolutely MUST win some games for us this season, or we will be sorely disappointed. I hope we can attribute at least 4-5 wins to our D this year. I truly hope that.

Re: Tossing out LSU, the other 5 teams average ranking in

Jul 29, 2013, 8:33 PM [ in reply to Tossing out LSU, the other 5 teams average ranking in ]

EXACTLY! 4 of the last 6 teams were Wake, Duke, Maryland, and NC State. I agree that this is an inflated stat.

We have 5 men at DT that are tough and experienced

Jul 28, 2013, 2:54 PM

Watson, Williams, Reader, Watkins, and Jarett will handle their end of the bargin. We just need some DEs to step up as well.

I'm not worried about Beasly, Barnes and Crawford. But I will keep my eye on Dodd, Aiken, Lawson and Ebo. All four have the talent to be huge additions to our DL but we'll have to see how they all fair.

Re: We have 5 men at DT that are tough and experienced

Jul 28, 2013, 5:47 PM

And they will I believe prove their selves to be very adequate!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I just hope Crawford shows some burst this year. He looked

Jul 29, 2013, 8:55 AM [ in reply to We have 5 men at DT that are tough and experienced ]

slow coming off the ball last year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Re: Front Page Story: Clemson's improved front seven will lead the way on defense

Jul 28, 2013, 3:19 PM

The defensive interior linemen will be the strength of our defense. If the DEs step up, the DL will make the LBs and secondary look much improved over last year.

I was actually going to post on this topic this morning.

Jul 28, 2013, 4:07 PM

I certainly appreciate the optimism. I keep reading posts saying our front 7 is going to be great.. they're going to lock it down. I'm not convinced of this. (See Spuds post).
I do believe our front 7 is the strength of our D and the potential is there for a great season. However, just because they are the strength of OUR defense does not mean they are a great front line. I havent seen anything overly convincing to this point.
Great news is we find out fast what we have. I hope we can keep Gurley/ Marshall off the field and I expect a great effort. I hope for a tiger win, but I equally hope tigernet isn't being set up for an epic 08 style meltdown.
BV will put these guys in the best position, I just hope the talent and discipline are there to keep uga off the field.
Can't wait to see the boys prove they're worth the praise! Go tigers!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

If it's another '08 style meltdown, I may have to forego any

Jul 28, 2013, 4:28 PM

football of any kind for the rest of the year. I personally feel Dabo has the program in a completely different place with much better coaches and different player mentality. To meltdown would imply our program has not progressed in 5 years. UGA is a team that's known for getting beat by 30 once a year, let's hope we're the ones.

I agree the program is in a better place. I don't expect

Jul 28, 2013, 7:32 PM

one loss to lead to several if the Tigers indeed lose.

Ironically, to your point, we were on the wrong end of a 30 point loss the last Clemson-UGA game I attended. It would be nice to return the favor.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

looks like you say the glass is 1/2 empty, while i look at

Jul 28, 2013, 4:36 PM [ in reply to I was actually going to post on this topic this morning. ]

the same glass as 1/2 full. our front 7 will be a strength, allowing our db's to look much improved over last year. if, and i do mean if, we can limit the # of "chunk" plays (as is the popular nomenclature nowadays) we'll be in the top-20 - DEFENSIVELY - at the end of the year. that, combined with what we know our "o" can do, is a very, and i stress the word VERY, good combination.
just being in the 2nd yr. of bv's scheme will allow our guys to react, more than think, which in and of itself, is a huge gain.
i'm just sayin - watch out for our "d". bv cut his teeth in the big-12, and that is an offensive conf., to say the least. he has seen, and stopped, many a good offense.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Right now I just see a glass with some stuff in it.

Jul 28, 2013, 7:33 PM

Looks good, hope it doesn't taste like crap.

null

Ye of little faith... I would explain but that last Bloody

Jul 28, 2013, 4:44 PM [ in reply to I was actually going to post on this topic this morning. ]

decided I shouldn't bother. Clemson by 10+. Vegas is my baby.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I was actually going to post on this topic this morning.

Jul 28, 2013, 5:58 PM [ in reply to I was actually going to post on this topic this morning. ]

And does spud work with these guys in the same way our coaches do. I think not, so I'm at least going to trust what our coaches feel they have until I see different. I'm not dissing Spud's number at all. But our D hasn't played a down this year, and I'm going with what the coaches believe what they will have with THIS defense.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For simplicity, coaches can go one of two routes...***

Jul 28, 2013, 7:35 PM

null

Oops.. anyway, they can do one of two things. They

Jul 28, 2013, 7:38 PM

can downplay their team or they can build them up. I want to believe them, I see more reasons for optimism rather than pessimism, but even the coaches don't know what's there until after the first game.
I'm not knocking our boys, I just see them more as an unknown than a strength and think this might be the coaches attempts to inspire. Hopefully the whole mix works and the kick some UGA ###.

null

Defense!

Jul 28, 2013, 5:59 PM

Our DTs will be the strenth of our front 7, they are the only ones who have proved themselves so far... 3 things that our D needs to improve on... 1. DEs provide a better pass rush... 2. CBs can "catch" some of the dropped ints this yr... 3. Safetys tackle more consistently

After rewatching the LSU game

Jul 28, 2013, 7:23 PM

sober ha..i'm not near as worried about our defense as i am our offensive line. Hell 80 of 101 plays Taji was on his back. To be a national contender we've got to protect the QB a hell of a lot better. We were extremely luck Boyd made it through that game.

Re: After rewatching the LSU game

Jul 28, 2013, 7:44 PM

Was thinking the same thing. LSU D line was nasty but come on, TB was getting killed almost every play.

Re: After rewatching the LSU game

Jul 28, 2013, 7:52 PM

It was much worse than i initially thought for sure. Of course I was hammered for the first viewing. Nonetheless, even with an injury or two a D-I offensive line should be able to protect there QB more snaps than not. Hell I'd be willing to bet TB was picking himself up off the turf 80 of 101 times the ball was snapped. of course that includes all the runs..which was questionable IMO after seeing the game again as well. We need some pretty serious improvement if were going to run the board.

Funny how TNet can take a great win....

Jul 29, 2013, 9:07 AM [ in reply to After rewatching the LSU game ]

and turn it in to we were luck and didn;t deserve to be there and the sky is falling.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Where was this awesome front seven

Jul 29, 2013, 9:31 AM

against USuC? We couldn't pay for a stop on third down.

A year younger and playing against upperclassmen.***

Jul 29, 2013, 10:43 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Believing that these guys have improved is reasonable...

Jul 29, 2013, 10:41 AM

without the stats. These guys have matured. We can certainly expect better from them this season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic