Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Player Update: Darius Robinson's rationale for joining NCAA lawsuit
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Football Player Update: Darius Robinson's rationale for joining NCAA lawsuit

Jul 19, 2013, 8:40 AM

Darius Robinson's rationale for joining NCAA lawsuit

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

Jul 19, 2013, 8:42 AM

Good luck Mr. Robinson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football Player Update: Darius Robinson's rationale for joining NCAA lawsuit

Jul 19, 2013, 9:03 AM

I see a little bit of both sides.

It sucks that these athletes cant make money, as some of them really need it, or have serious talent as musicians or artists and can't use that talent to benefit themselves.

I could also see a situation where a big name like Jadeveon Clowney gets a job "selling cars" and every coot booster buys from him to the point where he makes 6-figure commissions.

They don't want players to have a "job" because a big time

Jul 19, 2013, 9:39 AM

booster could pay the player $XXX.XXX/year to do a task like sell cars even if he never sells a single car (or shows up for work for 4 years).

Re: They don't want players to have a "job" because a big time

Jul 19, 2013, 10:14 AM

I think there was an issue like that at Oklahoma sometime in the last 15 years or so

Re: Football Player Update: Darius Robinson's rationale for joining NCAA lawsuit

Jul 19, 2013, 9:05 AM

you guys have to look at the bigger picture of what this could become. What if a big name like Tahj, CJ Spiller, Clowney, Lattimore, The honey badger, etc

They could easily start a business selling anything and people would buy it based on their name recognition etc.

I am all for the stipend Spurrier and all SEC coaches approved but will go nowhere due to NCAA issues. They say give them 3500 per year so family can travel to see them play or they can spend it. They can't really work due to school and practice etc so let the school give them something.

Players would get into all kinds of bad scams if they allowed them to do what Robinson may have been doing. What you are missing is that this was a pyramid scheme. The big news is whoever got Robinson involved made more than Robinson based on his recognition name etc

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I see the issues with allowing commission based sales

Jul 19, 2013, 9:16 AM

It would seem easier to regulate if the players were allowed hourly jobs where the paychecks went through the compliance office -

It would be dificult to police every pay check to make sure

Jul 19, 2013, 9:42 AM

the pay check was for a real "job" and not just some laundered money from a booster.

It would be easier to allow a stipend.

Jul 19, 2013, 9:15 AM

Here is the deal for me. No one is making them play football. It is a choice and priviledge. You are trading a lot of restrictions, time - working, etc. to be able to have a college education paid. If you are a walk-on, you have the same restrictions, but with no scholarship. So, if that is not a good deal for you, don't do it. Sell cell phones, work at a car dealership. The reason that their names are know is that they play football. They have an opportunity, though very remote, to learn a trade that could later earn millions, or perhaps earn a coaching position. Either way, it is an internship. Many of you took unpaid internships to earn experience. Same thing.

Remember - they have a choice - don't like the deal, don't take it.

Can't talk out of both sides though

Jul 19, 2013, 9:19 AM

Think about HOW MUCH we as fans and Clemson coaches push to get these talents at our program. You think if Deshaun Watson said he really thinks he should work an hourly job to help around the house, we would just stop right there and let him go? Don't think so. They aren't being greedy when we are playing tug-of-war with them with other schools. Aren't we the greedy ones?

Re: Can't talk out of both sides though

Jul 19, 2013, 9:34 AM

Self serving rather than greedy. The deal is one sided, but the offer is the same for many. It is not like there is no return for their investment. They get a lot more. If they want to get paid, then we need to develop some type of minor league system like baseball. Then, it will be a truly ameteur sport.

Jul 19, 2013, 9:19 AM [ in reply to Re: Football Player Update: Darius Robinson's rationale for joining NCAA lawsuit ]

Yeah but to play football as a career they ARE BEING FORCED, to go through the NCAA which means they are being FORCED to sign these unethical contracts. That's where the anti-trust comes in.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 19, 2013, 9:24 AM

technically if they're good but don't want to go to college they could play in the CFL or AFL for 3 years and then go to the NFL.

I'm not sure why more athletes don't go that route.

Jul 19, 2013, 9:27 AM

Which means they're not eligible for signing bonuses and other things.

So basically what the NCAA is saying is "if you want to make money playing football you have to give us the first 3 or 4 years of your earnings before you can".....

It disturbs me that so many people are making ridiculous arguments to justify these unethical dealings. It's just plain wrong what they are doing. And I can't believe decent people are so hyped up on football that they'll turn a blind eye and just tell these kids to shut up and that they're greedy. All because they want their football.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 19, 2013, 9:38 AM

Don't get me wrong, I fully support some type of stipend. They should benefit more than they do. But when I was in college, I worked on research projects for my professors - no pay, just good experience. Yet the University received millions in research dollars - none of which I saw. Did not seem unfair to me.

I own a company and I pay my engineers a good salary. If we make good profits, we share some, but the bulk is mine - just as the loses are. My risk. Not all Universities make a lot from football or sports. For some, it is a losing effort.

Jul 19, 2013, 9:44 AM

Maybe that isn't fair either. Who knows. But i think this is a different animal. These fat cats in college football and media are doing some unethical practices with the way they're handling all this. These kids are bing used up and hung out.

A guy like JD made clemson, ncaa, and media tons of money and he'll likely never see the amount he deserved.

A stipend would make the poor schools poorer

Jul 19, 2013, 10:20 AM [ in reply to Re: Football Player Update: Darius Robinson's rationale for joining NCAA lawsuit ]

Not all schools can shell out that type of money b/c you can't discriminate a sport like football from one like baseball or golf. There are quite a few student athletes at a school.

You might have made the school millions through grants like Spiller made the school millions through football - but you were allowed an outside job.

Re: A stipend would make the poor schools poorer

Jul 19, 2013, 10:22 AM

And they have time for outside jobs?

They can regulate the stipend.

Jul 19, 2013, 9:40 AM [ in reply to Re: Football Player Update: Darius Robinson's rationale for joining NCAA lawsuit ]

Also, the issue is their likeness. Is Darius' likeness really that valuable without a Tiger Uniform? No. For a select few, it does have value, but for 98% - the value is the name on the front of the shirt.

Jul 19, 2013, 9:42 AM

I agree with this. Which is why I support individual trust that can't be touched until after eligibility that's deposited with funds made on individual intellectual property. needs to be regulated, same rates across the board etc. it can be done.

Jul 19, 2013, 10:37 AM [ in reply to Re: Football Player Update: Darius Robinson's rationale for joining NCAA lawsuit ]

That's the best argument you've had. It supports the lawsuit and provides validity to the monopoly argument.

I wonder if the NFL will become part of this because of the three year rule?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

hello collective bargaining, old friend

Jul 19, 2013, 9:50 AM

This judge could pluck the first string that will bust up the NCAA. What's funny is that all of the stress about grant of rights contracts, tv contracts, licensing deals, etc. are based on one thing: the players. Changing their status from insignificant tools (serfs) to highly-leveraged owners of property (their names and images) and you have finally dismantled one of the oldest shams in American history.

Do you think it has occurred to a few union organizers that there is a unique opportunity here? Bet they are licking their chops.

By the way, remember Curt Flood?

Message was edited by: profuscious®

Rationale?? Getting paid. He's not good enough to play

Jul 19, 2013, 10:29 AM

on Sundays, so he's trying to get what little he can from a class action lawsuit (lawsuits where only the attorneys really win).

On the contrary, Darius' reasons are pretty legit

Jul 20, 2013, 3:28 PM

He can prove actual damages; which is missing from the frivolous lawsuits you're thinking of.

Problems arose when athletes used "jobs" to get money from boosters, often without working. As a result, the rules became so strict that it was impossible for athletes to work certain types of jobs, particularly in product sales. This is almost kinda lazy of the NCAA; because they don't want to go to the trouble of investigating people they'll just keep everybody on a short leash.

Jul 19, 2013, 12:05 PM

Playing college football is a CHOICE. No one has to play football (and don't give me the "they need to play to pay for college" because anyone with a pulse can get student loans). Also, the NFL is a private business. These students have no more "right" to work for the NFL than I have to work for IBM or Microsoft or anyone else. They could go from high school and play arena football, the CFL, or the indoor football league for three years and then go to the NFL. The rule is you have to be three years removed from high school, not that you have to play college ball.

I roomed with football players in college and know that it's hard work. You know what else is hard work? A job! I worked full time driving forklifts 2nd and 3rd shifts for my "scholarship". Wonder how many football players wanted to swap roles with me? Zero. Did it suck at times to do it? Yeah, but I was grateful that God gave me the opportunity to make something of myself. We coddle these kids now and wonder why they walk around with a sense of entitlement. They have a right to go to court over it and have their views heard but I think the whole notion of getting paid for football is too cumbersome, fraught with issues, and patently ridiculous that it will never happen.

That attitude worked in the 60's and 70's

Jul 19, 2013, 7:04 PM

But now there is too much money in the pot to see that there is a huge inequity. The players are getting screwed out of their god-given rights to their own names and images and have collectively lost millions of dollars just in video game licensing.

My suggestion is a lifetime fund guaranteeing players get monthly checks for any licensing revenue derived from their names and images. Kind of like the residuals that actors get paid for their work in commercials.

Simple solution to all this: Request the NFL remove the 3

Jul 20, 2013, 10:01 AM

year eligibility requirement.

If you want to play in the NCAA, you won't see any money excluding scholarships until you are drafted. If you try to go to the NFL immediately, you could end up making millions, or you could not.

Yeah, we'd lose some freshman/sophomore talent, but its a necessary loss to keep things from being an antitrust nightmare.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic