Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Time to step up: Defense
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Time to step up: Defense

Jul 5, 2013, 11:00 PM

Time to step up: Defense

If the Tigers are to have the kind of year the fans are expecting, there are players that need to step and take their game to the next level. In the first part of a two-part series, we take a look at the defense. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Breeland could be the weakest link....

Jul 5, 2013, 11:05 PM

....here's to hoping he has learned to wrap up and stop them in their tracks. Too many bumps and misses last year before he went out.

Breeland was our best cover corner last year

Jul 6, 2013, 12:09 AM

The one who had the most problems was Robinson which is why he lost his spot to Peters, who also had his ups and downs, until he too was injured. Breeland is the one I have the least concerns about. It's Robinson and Peters trying to hold down the other CB spot that is the most in the air imo.

Why are we talking about Peters again?***

Jul 6, 2013, 12:12 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Martin Jenkins could end up taking the other corner spot.

Jul 6, 2013, 9:39 AM [ in reply to Breeland was our best cover corner last year ]

He was our best corner by the end of 2011 and before his injury. Maybe Jenkins and Alexander will start eventually, though I doubt we start a true freshman in the Georgia game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jenkins is probably too short for the outside CB spot

Jul 6, 2013, 11:29 AM

which is why he played mostly NB until he got hurt but pound for pound I agree that he might be the best CB.

Shuey to the outside doesn't make sense to me. Hope that

Jul 6, 2013, 7:52 AM [ in reply to Breeland could be the weakest link.... ]

isn't a mistake.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed

Jul 6, 2013, 8:14 AM

I thought the same thing. While I truly love the way he plays in the middle, I'm not sure he has the speed to cover RBs and TEs. He is the most fundamentally sound LB we have so I'm assuming BV wants his mind/leadership on the field. We also play Nickel about 40% of the time so he might be the one who comes out in these situations.

Hopefully Anthony doesn't continue to run into the wrong gaps or get lost in the middle of all the linemen as has been his MO. The fact Shuey is being moved could be an attempt to get the best two LBs on the field.

BV has shown the propensity to find players that perform on the field and we have a lot of LBs to choose from so perhaps the starters at the end of the year will be different than the beginning. I'm ready to see Clemson renew its mantra of being one of the premier LB programs in the country.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Agreed

Jul 6, 2013, 9:01 AM

afraid we're going to miss Tig's tackling in the flats. Watch Auburn 2011...Tig refused to get beat wide.
(probably helped that Gus stopped feeding it to Dyer)

Shuey will defend the run fine. His instincts are the best

Jul 6, 2013, 11:41 AM

on the team his toughness will play well agaist TE's blocking him. In 3rd down situations either Steward(if finally healthy) or Jones will be on the field in nickel situations and only Anthony in dime

In Venables system the Mike and Will are both pretty much

Jul 6, 2013, 12:06 PM [ in reply to Shuey to the outside doesn't make sense to me. Hope that ]

inside guys. Its almost more of a 4-2-5

Darius

Jul 6, 2013, 10:59 AM [ in reply to Breeland could be the weakest link.... ]

poor guy!!!! Could not play on JV for any team I know of.
watch some footage of him. Pathetic!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

hmmmm, I saw something different but regardless this is

Jul 6, 2013, 12:06 PM [ in reply to Breeland could be the weakest link.... ]

how I see the secondary shaking out (my prediction).....

S Blanks and Smith lock it down, backups are Geohagan, Wiggins, and Kearse (with Kearse playing some at Nickel).

CB I think Breeland holds one spot, I think Robinson starts the other but is eventually overtaken by either Jenkins or Alexander (later in the year) but I also think Jenkins ends up being the "starter" at Nickel. People keep forgetting two years ago he really emerged as Nickel (the year before Blanks). I know he is smaller, but he is very physical so he fits there well.

So of the 8 freshman DBs, I justed mentioned 3 who would play. I think MAYBE 1 more plays (probably Johnson or Tankersly) and the other 3 RS (carter, edmunds, baker). So that would be 4 and 4.

Re: Breeland could be the weakest link....

Jul 5, 2013, 11:31 PM

Another full year with coach V and coach Reed should help everyone.

Re: Breeland could be the weakest link....

Jul 6, 2013, 5:05 AM

I feel like if the defense is to improve then #34 needs to play better this year. Hoping he has a great Sr. year. I thought at times last year he was afraid of contact.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Any thoughts on Kelan Jones? Think he will get PT***

Jul 6, 2013, 9:49 AM

Re: Any thoughts on Kelan Jones? Think he will get PT***

Jul 6, 2013, 10:31 AM

absolutely.

Jones is working on the MIKE and WILL. 34 plays SAM LB

Jul 6, 2013, 11:33 AM [ in reply to Any thoughts on Kelan Jones? Think he will get PT*** ]

For some reason the staff has yet to put another LB behind Quandon Christian to push him and I think that is a mistake given the way he's been playing.

Re: Any thoughts on Kelan Jones? Think he will get PT***

Jul 7, 2013, 11:42 AM [ in reply to Any thoughts on Kelan Jones? Think he will get PT*** ]

I wondered why no one mentioned him. I doubt BV brought him all the way over from OK only to keep him on the bench. Guy had a great Spring and Spring Game performance, is willing to do whatever to play at any of the LB positions and is a team leader. I expect him to play a bunch.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Re: Agreed

Jul 6, 2013, 9:27 AM

Rig will be missed the most. % wise he made a lot of tackles for downs played. A lot better than others who had more playing time.

Wow, it's amazing you see nothing about steward. I thought

Jul 6, 2013, 9:48 AM

He would contribute from day one! Granted his injury held him back, but I was hoping he'd get it together and be that stud LB we saw a few years back.

Re: Jones is working on the MIKE and WILL. 34 plays SAM LB

Jul 6, 2013, 12:13 PM

For the number of plays qc plays he doesn't make many tackles...

Sorry, have to disagree about Pinion.

Jul 6, 2013, 7:03 PM

In the fact that...Benton UNDERACHIEVED tremendously.
IN all areas. IN fact, Penion should have been awarded
the starting job early in the year,but... for some reason
that never happen.

Re: Sorry, have to disagree about Pinion.

Jul 6, 2013, 7:16 PM

Maybe coaches had their reasons?

Possibly Benton was following strategy.

I may not agree with the strategy either, but UNDERACHIEVED tremendously.
IN all areas.

That's way over the line.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Benton played to his potential last year ... and

Jul 6, 2013, 10:04 PM [ in reply to Sorry, have to disagree about Pinion. ]

Pinion's play on kickoffs and punt team will be a dramatic improvement from last year and could be the difference is one of the three big games. regular season games.

Most coaches in the high school and college game play the upper classman whom they consider the safe bet - at times this means the more talented underclassmen rides the pine for a year watching a less talented but more experienced veteran take the snaps.

IMHO this approach allows the Tigers and other teams to win the games they're expected to win ... but sometimes fall short on the intangibles when playing equal or higher ranked teams.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Re: Sorry, have to disagree about Pinion.

Jul 6, 2013, 8:47 PM

Benton's value was in the fact that he was a pretty good kicker and a good tackler. That effort probably earned him his spot.

Re: Martin Jenkins could end up taking the other corner spot.

Jul 6, 2013, 9:34 PM

At the end of 2011, Sensabaugh was our best corner.

Re: Front Page Story: Time to step up: Defense

Jul 6, 2013, 10:31 PM

Good points!***

Jul 7, 2013, 3:42 AM

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic