Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Who becomes the #1 back?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Who becomes the #1 back?

Jun 25, 2013, 11:31 PM

Is it Hot Rod? He has some limitations
Could it be Howard or Brooks?
Which freshman?

This may be the key to the season is the run game. If we can not find an effect solution then teams can key in on the pass. Luckily only USC,UGA and FSU can do that and stand a chance.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

McDowell will do just fine. You'll see.***

Jun 25, 2013, 11:50 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: McDowell will do just fine. You'll see.***

Jun 25, 2013, 11:53 PM

Could he be the every down back? That is key to morris offense as is TE which I am super worried about.

Hot Rod looked good against USC but that is just one game..... heck that is the game that matters. LEts give Spurrier a heavy dose of hot rob in cola.

He's going to have plenty of help.***

Jun 25, 2013, 11:54 PM

check out hotrods ypc for the year.

Jun 26, 2013, 3:23 AM [ in reply to Re: McDowell will do just fine. You'll see.*** ]

we'll be just fine. i,too, am worried about the te position. although leggett looked real good in the spring game, i am not sure how he will do when the lights are on, he seems to have real good hands and decent speed, what i am most concerned about is the blocking aspect of his position.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Steckinger will start. hes smaller but our TEs are meant to

Jun 26, 2013, 9:18 AM

catch not block.

Do you really think our TEs are not required to block????

Jun 26, 2013, 9:29 AM

Really?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Let me clarify

Jun 26, 2013, 9:45 AM

I didnt mean they NEVER would block but Would you rather have a Receiving TE or a blocking TE in our system. a Receiving threat for sure. I was trying to say to the guy who commented above me about Leggett not showing up when the lights go on, thats possible bc he is a freshman and come week one against GA i think we should go with the safer option.

IMO Steckinger will start day one bc of his reliability in the passing game and is the better receiver, heck he use to be a receiver. Leggett will no doubt contribute as well but later in the season its possible Leggett will become the #1 TE i think the ceiling is higher with him and his size is good.

None of our TEs are big enough to block at this time, last i saw Legget was 230-235? and he is our biggest TE on the roster but a true freshman who isnt known for his blocking skills by any means. I have a feeling they will use the FB or Eric Maclain as an extra TE/lineman on more on running plays and put our TEs who are meant to catch in on passing downs.

Leggett is also a converted WR...

Jun 26, 2013, 9:47 AM

He was recruited by Morris as a TE but in HS he played WR. He has done a tremendous job of putting on weight in the short time he has been here.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please figure out

Jun 26, 2013, 9:57 AM [ in reply to Let me clarify ]

how to spell a player's name correctly before you anoint him as a starter.

You'll show much more knowledge of the subject.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

That would give the other teams a key on run vs pass

Jun 26, 2013, 12:13 PM [ in reply to Let me clarify ]

no? I hope our coaches are working on blocking technique with ALL of the TEs. Because if they go with this, then Defenses are going to read that every time based on the personnel.

WHO?***

Jun 26, 2013, 9:53 AM [ in reply to Steckinger will start. hes smaller but our TEs are meant to ]

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

What limitations?

Jun 25, 2013, 11:51 PM

Just curious

Clemson

Re: What limitations?

Jun 25, 2013, 11:54 PM

He is not an every down back. Not big enough or durable enough. He is too small. Situation back at best. We need the Davis or Spiller type for every down back.

Jun 25, 2013, 11:59 PM

He's 5'9" 195 that's about the same size that Ellington is CJ is 5'11" 200

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Jun 26, 2013, 12:03 AM

Ellington wasn't durable. 5'11 is a lot different than 5'9.
Lets be honest. Hot Rod is no Ellington

Jun 26, 2013, 12:18 AM

Ellington was measured at 5' 9" tall and 199 pounds at the combine. Hot Rod is listed at 5' 9" tall and 195 lbs.

Hot Rod will be solid this year but TD will make an impact.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 26, 2013, 12:20 AM

I hope so. I mean with our stable of backs the last 5-6 years just an ok back is not good enough we need that difference maker. We need that James davis, Spiller or heck Gurley or marshall. Without that it may bite us one day.

Hope not because Cali in january is very nice ;)

Jun 26, 2013, 12:34 AM

And what do you suggest between now and 9/31/13 ??

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 26, 2013, 1:26 AM

I'd be more concerned with 8/31/13

Hot Rod is very similar to James Davis IMO

Jun 26, 2013, 9:23 AM

He just hasnt had the opp to prove himself. he is very fast but a power guy with a freakish cut and juke.

However, hes still not a game changer like JD was. JD has that it factor Hot Rod does not.

I think Brooks or Dye will be the guy for us. Brooks is a bigger, faster back but has trouble holding on to the ball. Dye is very similar.

Don't see the comparison at all

Jun 26, 2013, 9:27 AM

JD was a bruiser. If anything, you could compare him to CJ early in his career. Hot Rod isn't a power back, he is shifty.

Re: A RBs Height Means Nothing - - 5'8''--11'' is Normal.***

Jun 26, 2013, 3:22 AM

HotRod will produce better numbers than AE ...

Jun 26, 2013, 4:26 AM

due to being behind a deeper and more experienced offensive line.

The receiving corp will be better rounded and I'd expect Tajh to be more decisive and much quicker of the mind and feet.

These factors will make HotRod much more productive than Ellington.

The younger players will get their shots too.

Message was edited by: ClemsonTiger1988®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What boggles my mind...

Jun 26, 2013, 5:11 AM

Is how you made it to "expert" on this board!!

Hot Rod CAN and WILL be an everyday back. He ran RIGHT AT Clownboy and ate him alive. Had we kept running Hot Rod we could have altered that score.

Is he Spiller, Davis, or Ellington??

Well duh....No! But is is plenty talented to take Ellington's place.

NOTHING about Hot Rod is going to "bite us". Either get on board with our new feature back, or stay away please!

Go Tigers!!!

Tyshon Dye. I can see him and Hot Rod having roughly equal

Jun 26, 2013, 8:52 AM

numbers of carries by the end of the season.

One concern about Hot Rod is holding onto the football as his number of carries goes up from what he has gotten so far in his career. Another is, he's only caught 5 passes in his career. Ellington caught 59 passes during his career.

Ultimately, it's just a guess as to how he will perform because he has yet to prove he can be the guy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

AE didn't work on his catching game till his Jr year.

Jun 26, 2013, 10:23 AM

You know HotRod will grow some good hands this summer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Actually, AE caught 11, 12, 22, and 14 catches in his

Jun 26, 2013, 12:45 PM

four years for a total of 505 yards. Hot Rod has 1, 1, and 3 in his first 3 years for a total of 32 yards.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wayne Gallman says hello. I wouldn't over look this kid

Jun 26, 2013, 8:53 AM

he's going to surprise some people with his toughness and ability to pick up the playbook.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

I'm pretty excited about these freshmen

Jun 26, 2013, 9:08 AM

For two reasons:

1) Obviously more quality talent and depth breeds more competition at each respective position, and adds to who we can give the ball to.

2) Tailback is one of the few positions in this game where a freshman can come in and have immediate impact. (James Davis, CJ Spiller's freshmen campaigns quickly come to mind) I'm not saying they will be outright starters, but let's face it, we don't run a single back offense system anyway so we need a quality stable.

You have to love the "style" of talent that we have on this team. We have flat burners at every position. Speed Kills.

Go Tigers

IMO I dont think we will have a true #1...

Jun 26, 2013, 9:16 AM

between McDowell, Brooks, i think they will be our 1-2 punch. and Dye could factor in too depending on a number of things.

the TWO BEST guys that can HOLD on to the football

Jun 26, 2013, 9:25 AM

That is what separates Brooks and Mcdowell and when Dye gets in he will need to prove he can hold on at this level too.

Re: the TWO BEST guys that can HOLD on to the football

Jun 26, 2013, 12:09 PM

I think it will boil down to which back does the best job of picking up blocks in the backfield and catching passes out of the backfield. IF the new guys can pick up the playbook, that would be plenty of talent for CM to use.

I think you are correct about the blocking in the backfield.

Jun 26, 2013, 12:18 PM

Probably one of THE most important parts of the RB skill set and the one most likely to give Tajh time to make critical decisions.

The #1 Back is the Back who can

Jun 26, 2013, 12:40 PM

PROTECT TAJH BOYD!

If you can't pass block you're not seeing the field!

Also, the back who can hold onto the ball.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

We don't have nor need a #1 back. Hot Rod will get the most

Jun 26, 2013, 1:43 PM

PT but Howard and Brooks and Dye and Gallman will all play and play well.

Leggett will likely win the starting job at TE and at 6'6" and now up to 250lbs he's a beast with WR skills. Personel is not an issue on offense.

I'm more concerned at DE and DB then anything on offense.

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic