Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mickey Plyler's Blog: Clemson's Best Wide Receivers
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Mickey Plyler's Blog: Clemson's Best Wide Receivers

Jun 12, 2013, 9:41 AM

Clemson's Best Wide Receivers

Clemson's Best Wide Receivers
I started watching Clemson football in 1974 and can remember all of the great players over the last forty years. I am in the process of giving my thoughts on the greatest Tigers at every position over that 40 year span. I think it is only fair for me to comme

Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I always felt like Gary Cooper was as talented as they come

Jun 12, 2013, 9:56 AM

While his stats were no where near as flashy, I felt like he gave the Tigers big-play capabilities.

He ran reverses, caught and threw halfback/WR passes, and was a very good blocker. In an era where CU was option oriented, he was as good as they come.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Especially when we played a game at "High Noon."***

Jun 12, 2013, 10:13 AM

Hopkins solidified the #1 spot after the LSU game

Jun 12, 2013, 10:05 AM

b/c theres always the argument about system and he had more opportunities than past WR's at Clemson but to be triple covered for the most of the game (against one of the best D's in the nation) and in huge crunch time series' when everyone knew who they were going to and he still came away with the ball made me a believer.

That joker was the toughest reciever i have seen in my 33 years as a Clemson fan. That kind of stuff is born into you not learned. Wasn't the fastest or tallest just the best.

Maybe Sammy snaps out of it but when he gets keyed in on and is double covered he usually doesn't produce as much. Nuke turned it up when he was put behind the 8 ball. Prove me wrong Sammy!

this does not hold water...

Jun 12, 2013, 10:19 AM

....without Dwight Clark....no way he can be left off unless he was not a wide reciever...Butler had to be the best, but without Clark and Gary Cooper, this list is incomplete...Charlie Waters was no slouch either.

No Dwight Clark?

Jun 12, 2013, 10:13 AM

Dwight Clark's statistics may not have been great, but I would have thought he deserved a mention at the end of the article.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree - my biggest memory of Dwight Clark........

Jun 12, 2013, 10:16 AM

will always be when he made a tough catch right between two Carolina defensive backs to set up Jerry Butler on the very next play when Butler made "The Catch" to beat Carolina.

Re: I agree - my biggest memory of Dwight Clark........

Jun 12, 2013, 10:21 AM

Dwight Clark along with Steve Fuller beat Maryland for the ACC in 1978 I think it was.....look at the film...no bigger "go to" guy in our history

Yep ....one of best games ever and he was good that day.

Jun 12, 2013, 7:03 PM

Jim Phillips made a great call on the long TD. I was at the game but I heard his call on an album I bought.

No way, not by any stretch was Dwight Clark one of the

Jun 12, 2013, 10:36 AM [ in reply to No Dwight Clark? ]

top WRs in Clemson history - at least not if judged by his Clemson career.

He had 33 catches and scored 3 TDs in 3 seasons. He might have made a couple of big catches, but there are lots of WRs who had more impact and more productive careers at Clemson who would deserve to be on this list ahead of him.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

agree-he had a pretty unremarkable Clemson career

Jun 12, 2013, 10:43 AM

you could say he peaked late.

Like Tom Brady, who is probably a borderline Top 10 QB in Michigan history, but he is arguably the best QB in NFL history.

Re: agree-he had a pretty unremarkable Clemson career

Jun 12, 2013, 12:47 PM

same thing with any argument over "the best". Clark played in a run first offense.
No telling what some of our past players would be if they had played in our current offense. At a game last year, listened to Jimmy Bell and Jim Parker talk about how they would have loved a chance to play today rather than the 3 yards and a cloud of dust wing-T.

That argument does not apply in this case.

Jun 12, 2013, 3:00 PM

Yes, the offenses that Clark played in were more run oriented than those of today, but that is not the reason for Clark's lack of relative production. Even on "three yards and a cloud of dust" teams, some guys get catches and are obviously the "go to" receivers; this was never true for Dwight Clark. In 1976, the first year he played at Clemson, he was the 4th leading receiver with 5 catches, behind guys who caught 33,26,9, and 9 passes. In 77, he was 3rd with 17 catches, behind guys that caught 47 and 21 passes. In 78 he was 2nd on the team with 11 catches to Jerry Butler's 58. Other players were getting catches, just not Clark. Yes, he played behind perhaps the greatest WR in Clemson history, but Clark was not even close. Not only was he never the leading receiver on the team, he was only the 2nd leading receiver once. Any way you slice it, Clark's career at Clemson was unremarkable and mediocre at best, and there is no way he should be in the conversation for this list. It is clear that Clark's tremendous success in the NFL has influenced the opinions of many Clemson fans regarding his career at Clemson.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I have to agree - he wasn't really in the top group.....

Jun 12, 2013, 1:01 PM [ in reply to No way, not by any stretch was Dwight Clark one of the ]

at Clemson. I think a lot of people are remembering him as a pro when he caught the TD pass from Montana when they were with the 49th against Dallas - the pass where he was in the back of the endzone.

I still have Jerry Butler as # 1 over Nuk.***

Jun 12, 2013, 10:17 AM

Agreed***

Jun 12, 2013, 11:01 AM

nm

and Amen!***

Jun 12, 2013, 7:11 PM

Pretty close MP. My 10:

Jun 12, 2013, 10:38 AM

1. Nuk
2. JB
3. Terry Smith
4. Rod Gardner
5. Perry Tuttle
6. Sammy Watkins (should be #3 or higher after next year)
7. Aaron Kelly
8. Derrick Hamilton
9. Chansi Stuckey
10. Antwuan Wyatt

Nuk, JB, and TS are 1,2,3 right now because they could do it all including go up high over the middle and catch it with their hands.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wyatt does deserve mention

Jun 12, 2013, 10:45 AM

Did he play more than one year? I seem to recall pot issues got him kicked off team.

But I also remember calling him "Mr. Excitement" because any time he touched the ball he could go the distance. He had special talent.

I'll never be able to forget Airese Curry when he dropped...

Jun 12, 2013, 11:07 AM

a pass over his shoulder right through his hands on a touchdown bomb pass against Georgia one night in Athens - it was a perfect pass only for him to drop it.

We would have won.

I think Stuckey over Currie and Kelly over Hamilton (because

Jun 12, 2013, 11:08 AM

he stayed 4 yrs!) It still drives me crazy thinking what Hamilton could've done if he had come back for his senior year.

Have to say I disagree....

Jun 12, 2013, 11:47 AM

with the list as well,buttttt....

Just like opinions, I have 1 too.
Rate them like this. (no one still playing)

#1-Derrick Hamilton
#2-Nuk Hopkins
#3-Rod Gardner
#4-Terry Smith
#5-Gary Cooper
#6-Jerry Butler-yes,num 6!!
#7-Aaron Kelly
#8-Jacoby Ford
#9-Chansi Stuckey/K Youngblood
#10-Perry Tuttle- bit OR.

Big surprise who you picked # 1;). Hamilton was

Jun 12, 2013, 7:08 PM

Phenomenal after the catch and returns. My only knock is not catching the ball with his hands much and being able to go up strong in traffic across the middle.

J. Ford and Tuttle were two more who couldn't go up high across the middle.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not sure he would make my top 10 either, but Tony Horn

Jun 12, 2013, 12:42 PM

was one of the most electrifying WR we have ever had. He played on some pretty terrible teams, but was always one of the best players on the field. I remember him playing against FSU in the Valley in one of the few close games during that time period...he almost single handedly won the game.

No, Tony Horn should be there...***

Jun 12, 2013, 4:17 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Remember the punt return against the coots in 97?***

Jun 13, 2013, 6:22 AM [ in reply to Not sure he would make my top 10 either, but Tony Horn ]

Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: Clemson's Best Wide Receivers

Jun 12, 2013, 1:14 PM

What about Kendall Alley?

No way Nuk is #1.....

Jun 12, 2013, 1:35 PM

He went 0-3 against the chickens.

Rod Garner is #1.

A nice list to read through. What's cool is that Sammy

Jun 14, 2013, 1:40 AM

could go from #8 on your list to #1 if he has a Nuk-like season this year and we go the distance. He's certainly got the tools to make it happen, and the right environment and supporting cast to boot.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic