Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mickey Plyler's Blog: Clemson's Best Quarterbacks
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

Mickey Plyler's Blog: Clemson's Best Quarterbacks

Jun 6, 2013, 8:34 AM

Clemson's Best Quarterbacks

Clemson's Best Quarterbacks
I started watching Clemson football in 1974 and can remember all of the great players over the last forty years. In the next couple of weeks I am going to give my thoughts on the greatest Tigers at every position over that 40 year span. I think it is only fair

Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's amazing to me how much the game has changed in such a

Jun 6, 2013, 8:49 AM

short amount of time. Woody's numbers were outstanding at the time, but since Charlie and Tajh have come along what Woody did (numbers wise) doesn't look impressive.

I also had Woody near the top of my all-time Clemson quarterbacks. I think he was one of the 1st of the new age quarterbacks. In a system like the one we run now, his numbers would have been much better.

Woody didn't have the greatest arm, but he was a true dual threat guy. One fun Tiger to watch.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgtnt_user_logo.pngbadge-ringofhonor-elswann.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Drow

Jun 6, 2013, 8:51 AM

was awesome.

Re: It's amazing to me how much the game has changed in such a

Jun 6, 2013, 8:54 AM [ in reply to It's amazing to me how much the game has changed in such a ]

When the last time we had a qb rush for 1000 and throw for 2000?

Those number are still impressive and wood should have won the hardware his sr. yr

I'm not saying what Woody did wasn't impressive. And I've

Jun 6, 2013, 9:01 AM

always had him in my top 3, but the game is much different now and the passing numbers show it. That takes nothing away from Woody and his rushing stats. Like I said, I'd like to see him playing in this system.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgtnt_user_logo.pngbadge-ringofhonor-elswann.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To me, woody will always be near the top in the list of my

Jun 6, 2013, 1:22 PM

favorite players. But I think as of today, whitehurst is best QB we've had. If Tajh does what he's supposed to this year then I'll probably put him #1. But gotta beat USuC. Can't be the best Clemson QB ever and never beat the chickens. Just can't be.

Woody always seemed to get second billing because of the

Jun 6, 2013, 3:58 PM [ in reply to Re: It's amazing to me how much the game has changed in such a ]

love affair the media had with Michael Vick. Woody is my favorite all time Clemson QB. Even named my golden retriever after him.

I still think Woody's numbers were impressive. Charlie and

Jun 6, 2013, 8:56 AM [ in reply to It's amazing to me how much the game has changed in such a ]

Tajh have both thrown for more yards than Woody but neither has rushed for 1,000 yards in a season. That's quite an accomplishment for a RB, much less a QB.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: I still think Woody's numbers were impressive. Charlie and

Jun 6, 2013, 6:06 PM

Basically Woody WAS a RB playing out of the QB position. One of the best athletes ever at Clemson and in college football, but IMHO, not one of the bet QBs.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's amazing to me how much the game has changed in such a

Jun 6, 2013, 10:52 AM [ in reply to It's amazing to me how much the game has changed in such a ]

Woody could also be be considered as a great Clemson RB. The guy had no fear what so ever with putting his head down and pick up the extra yards. Woody was an out standing athlete in any since of the word.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: Clemson's Best Quarterbacks

Jun 6, 2013, 8:54 AM

Whoa where's Rodney in all of this

Jun 6, 2013, 10:02 AM

....Not to slight anyone who ever played at Clemson...but I have to say that if Woodrow Dantzler would have played his senior year under RichRod instead of Scott/O'Cain, his numbers would have been untouchable. But all in all its how you measure greatness...Fuller committing to Clemson over Tennessee was landmark; Dantzler could do it all, but my favorite was Billy Lott...maybe you are too young to remember what Fuller meant to the program at that point in time...if you went back another 5 years, I would throw Pengitore into the mix also

Jun 6, 2013, 3:50 PM

Fuller and Rodney are my all time favorites

First game was CU vs ND

I would like to see Fuller or Whitehurst with Sammy and Nuk

Jun 6, 2013, 11:07 AM

to throw to, and Chad as their OC. Would have changed their numbers

I agree CU 90, we may have had Heisman hardware in Tigertown***

Jun 6, 2013, 11:58 AM

Fuller had Butler and Tuttle. I agree, though, Morris is key***

Jun 6, 2013, 4:09 PM [ in reply to I would like to see Fuller or Whitehurst with Sammy and Nuk ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd have Whitehurst #1 right now.

Jun 6, 2013, 1:20 PM

still school record holder in most career passing categories. 4-0 vs USuC is a huge factor too.

I'll second that... Tajh stands a good chance of surpassing

Jun 6, 2013, 2:34 PM

but as it stands NOW... Big Shooter should still be number 1...

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm sticking with Fuller until Tajh either

Jun 6, 2013, 3:43 PM [ in reply to I'd have Whitehurst #1 right now. ]

beats SCAR or wins a National title ... or both!

I sincerely believe our "best ever" QB will have to have won at least one game vs SCAR ... that's just me.

Tajh would've been 4-0 against those mediocre coot teams

Jun 8, 2013, 11:36 AM [ in reply to I'd have Whitehurst #1 right now. ]

too. They were 5-7, 5-7, 6-7, 7-6 (23-27) in the 4 years that Charlie started against them. They've been 11-2 in each of the two seasons that Tajh has started. That's 1 less win in 2 years than they had in the 4 years CW played. Everyone loves to ignore that fact.

Whitehurst was QB for most of the years i was at CU and I was a big fan, but i don't thing he belongs higher than #3. He forced things too much and threw a ton of INTs. IIRC, his best season was 21 TDs and 14 INTs. That's too many picks, and he also had games like the beatdown we took at WFU where his 4? INTs caused the snowball that led to us getting embarrassed.

He was also the starter for 3.5 seasons which is why he holds so many of the career (aka accumulation) records. Give Tajh his 3rd yr this season and see how many records he holds.

You know what's odd? I don't hear anybody arguing that

Jun 6, 2013, 2:40 PM

Willie Simmons should be playing over Woody AND Charlie or Will Proctor playing over Charlie now like I did when I was in the stands... Funny how history has a way of settling things...

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Obviously you aren'tld enough. Harvey White, Jimmy Addison,

Jun 6, 2013, 2:41 PM

and Lowndes(sp) Shingler......and Jim Parker wasn't bad.
Boyd has the stats, but all around it is very hard to top #4 and the #4 to #15 combination!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ld = old***

Jun 6, 2013, 2:42 PM

Re: Obviously you aren'tld enough. Harvey White, Jimmy Addison,

Jun 6, 2013, 3:27 PM [ in reply to Obviously you aren'tld enough. Harvey White, Jimmy Addison, ]

what about Charlie Waters.....all theses guys were different eras, but they were all good enough to star for us....

Re: Obviously you aren'tld enough. Harvey White, Jimmy Addison,

Jun 6, 2013, 3:40 PM

Loved Charlie Waters, but he never contributed at Clemson as a QB ... he was a highly touted QB out of North Augusta HS, but he only came into his own when he finally got moved to Flanker at Clemson.

Yep..........didn't Billy Ammons become QB?***

Jun 6, 2013, 4:09 PM

I'd have Tajh at #3 poised to move up to #1 this year:

Jun 6, 2013, 4:14 PM

1. Fuller
2. Woody
3. Tajh
4. Homer Jordan
5. Charlie Whitehurst

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you lost me with Homer Jordan

Jun 6, 2013, 8:02 PM

and I had already debated that many times.

Woody Dantzler

Jun 6, 2013, 9:58 PM

I was eight years old. It was my first game, & it was awsome!

Where is RICHARD MONCRIEF?

Jun 6, 2013, 10:07 PM

That guy was great! He is one that people forget about.He was solid and sported gear with the saying "Moncrief on the run" above his caricature. He really was fun to watch.

Homer has the skins

Jun 6, 2013, 10:10 PM

untill anyone else does it , he is the man.

Fuller may have been the best pure quarteback

I was there, hard as heLL to beat that***

Jun 6, 2013, 10:52 PM

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic