Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Swinney interview, part two
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Swinney interview, part two

May 15, 2013, 12:00 PM

Swinney interview, part two

In part two of our 1-on-1 with Dabo Swinney, Clemson’s head coach talks about the mistakes he made early on and the hires he has made since that time, the losing season and winning the ACC. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So when is it in god's plan to let Dabo beat the coots again***

May 15, 2013, 12:42 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

His only stain...

May 15, 2013, 12:56 PM

BEAT THE CHICKENS!!!!

His only stain?... Uhhh... 6-7 season, 70-33 WVU loss, etc.***

May 16, 2013, 2:53 AM

Do you understand the concept of "progress"?***

May 16, 2013, 2:56 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why don't you ask God that question ?

May 15, 2013, 1:17 PM [ in reply to So when is it in god's plan to let Dabo beat the coots again*** ]

He is only a prayer away.

I refer you to Isaiah 25 ...

May 15, 2013, 1:25 PM [ in reply to So when is it in god's plan to let Dabo beat the coots again*** ]

The hand of the Lord will rest on this mountain;
but the evil will be trampled in their land as straw is trampled down in the manure (or guano as the case many be).

God will bring down their pride despite the wiles of their hands.

He will bring down your high fortified cockroach and lay it low; he will bring them down to the ground, to the very dust.

There's no timetable, just a assurance that th4e day is coming once again.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I refer you to Isaiah 25 ... th4e?

May 15, 2013, 1:44 PM

hidden message or bad typing??

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I refer you to Isaiah 25 ...

May 17, 2013, 10:47 PM [ in reply to I refer you to Isaiah 25 ... ]

As far as I know, Isaih didn't play or coach football.

Re: So when is it in god's plan to let Dabo beat the coots again***

May 17, 2013, 10:44 PM [ in reply to So when is it in god's plan to let Dabo beat the coots again*** ]

If we don't do it this year, then we won't do it for several years to come. Four years ago, Carolina revamped their S&C program, and "coincidentally" started started manhandeling us. Do we really have anyone who can block Clowney? What's his name? Is our offensive line still not a question mark? With Chad Kelly gone, can we really risk running Tajh like we have in the past. And where is that big, fast power back we will need to pick up those 4 to 5 crucial yards, instead of risking Tajh Is it really Rod McDowell, at under 200 pounds? And, Zac Cooper, still at 185. is a joke at running back. I think it will have to be one of the freshmen, and the most likely candidate seems to be Tyshon Dye, since he's already at 215. As a die-hard Clemson fan, I really get nervous when expectations are this high (inflated?), when we seem to have so many unanswered questions regarding the team.

Its gonna happen THIS YEAR

May 15, 2013, 2:30 PM

Then the "Dabo doubters" will all be silent.

I am sick to death of this streak as much as the next guy, but even sicker of the "He hasnt beaten UsC" crowd.

You think Nick Saban gives a Rats fat A.. (now) that he LOST his first 4 YEARS AT ALABAMA....to Auburn???

Dabo's monkey gets thumped of
f the back this year!!

Go Tigers!!!

Re: Its gonna happen THIS YEAR

May 17, 2013, 10:51 PM

Brilliant post. You explained everything. I'm sure all of us feel much more reassured now. Not!

Dabo vindicated my gripe re: his promotion.& newbie mistakes

May 16, 2013, 2:48 AM

Dabo said, "It's just like anything you do- the more experience you get, the better you get. You make mistakes, you grow from them."

Of course.

That's why I wanted Clemson to hire a successful seasoned coach who learned from his mistakes at previous jobs and could hit the ground running, rather than making the team suffer the types of needless newbie mistakes that Dabo made in the early years. (E.g. Fired one of the nation's best DCs in Koenning. Promoted his buddy, Napier. Let Ellington & Harper choose their own playing time. Played low-performing upper-classmen like Dye, over young performers like Hopkins. Poor clock-management. Etc. Those were all mistakes that I griped about and Dabo eventually fixed.) I always praised Dabo for his recruiting, enthusiasm, energy, ethics, etc., and I always said that he's smart and could become a good head coach with experience. (I said the same of Napier.)

But Dabo has gained good experience, learned to be a good coach, and seems to have Clemson headed in the right direction, so I hope he keeps improving and keeps the team improving.

Re: Dabo vindicated my gripe re: his promotion.& newbie mistakes

May 16, 2013, 9:17 AM

You wouldn't have hired Danny Ford either - Right?

Hard to say. Things were different THIRTY YEARS ago!!!

May 16, 2013, 4:14 PM

But in the last decade, how many big-time football programs like Clemson took the risk of promoting an assistant (with no HC or coordinator experience) directly to head coach, and make their players and fans endure newbie HC mistakes? I can't think of even one.

Do you think TDP is just smarter than all of the other big-league ADs out there? (Keep in mind that TDP is the guy who granted Tommy Bowden a $4.6M buyout, with no performance escape clause, only to pay it out a few months later when he fired Bowden.)

Re: Hard to say. Things were different THIRTY YEARS ago!!!

May 17, 2013, 10:56 PM

OMG, you are really in trouble now. Telling the truth can be dangerous to you health.

May 16, 2013, 9:26 AM [ in reply to Dabo vindicated my gripe re: his promotion.& newbie mistakes ]

some of you people kill me. danny had way less experience than dabo. had danny not beaten the coots in 80 the legend of danny ford would have never happened. tdp got the endorsement of tommy on dabo and saw first hand how he handled himself. sometimes you just go on gut instinct. who had ever heard of mike gunsy when tdp hired him.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

4-yr starting QB Gundy has Big 8 record & did 2 OC gigs @OSU

May 16, 2013, 5:00 PM

Aside from a stellar QB career at OKST and holding the Big 8 passing record, Gundy was an assistant coach there for 4 years before TDP became AD of OKST. (And Gundy became HC 3 years after TDP left OKST.) Casual fans might not have heard of Mike Gundy before he become head coach, but he was well known among administrators and avid college football fans. Following is Gundy's bio. HUGE difference from Dabo's 2008 qualifications and a more logical hire, don't you think?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Gundy

Tommy Bowden's endorsement of his buddy Dabo was a compelling reason for TDP to do something no other big-league AD would do?

I guess TDP also went with his "gut instinct" when he granted an upper-mediocre Bowden that needless $4.5M buyout a few months before firing Bowden. I hope Radakovich uses his head instead of his gut.

May 17, 2013, 10:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Dabo vindicated my gripe re: his promotion.& newbie mistakes ]

I still haven't heard of him.

May 17, 2013, 10:54 PM [ in reply to Dabo vindicated my gripe re: his promotion.& newbie mistakes ]

Oops, the thought police on this board are going to be all over you. Good luck.

May 17, 2013, 11:18 PM [ in reply to Dabo vindicated my gripe re: his promotion.& newbie mistakes ]

gosh your confidence will be appreciated by dabo i am sure.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 18, 2013, 7:56 PM [ in reply to Dabo vindicated my gripe re: his promotion.& newbie mistakes ]

I thought it was a bad move. Of course I am a biased observer. That being said, it has worked pretty well. Take away the losing streak to us and I would think most clemson fans have to be pretty happy with him. He and legget both have had the misfortune of coaching against their rivals at their best. He has recruited enough talent to be favored in all but maybe 2 or 3 games each year and for those 2 or 3 to be einnable. So he is in position for an awesome year every year with a few good bounces. Given his inexperience he has done pretty well. I think gameday coaching has been his biggest weakness but thats also the area you would expect the most improvement in with time and experience.

Re: Do you understand the concept of "progress"?***

May 16, 2013, 2:59 AM

He clearly does not.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: Do you understand the concept of "progress"?***

May 17, 2013, 11:12 PM

If by "progress" you mean Dabo going from being a "teenage" cheerleader to being an average coach, I'd have to agree with you. Is he on a level with Spurrier or Saban? In my opinion, no way. But let's wait until the Georgia and South Carolina games, and avoid further "hot air."

May 16, 2013, 5:47 PM

What are you talking about?

Saban beat Auburn in his second season and is 4-2 against Auburn overall.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

May 17, 2013, 11:14 PM

Your point?

"Is he on the level with Spurrior"

May 18, 2013, 5:54 AM

And Saban, no way"

Dude! He has already accomplished more at Clemson than Spurrior has at Sakerlina.

Spurrior is a certain Hall of Fame coach.....because of his successes at FLORIDA, not South Carolina.

Coots need to quit thinking Spurrior has led them to "Elite" status, because he really hasn't yet.

Has he won 10+ games while in Coot country?? Yes

Has any won anything ELSE noteworthy while there???

Hello??? You still there???

Dabo in 4 years vs Ball Sack in 8
tells the story!

Go Tigers!!

You really think the ACC is as tough as the SEC?

May 18, 2013, 6:54 PM

The ACC's Sagarin rank has been (in reverse chronological order) #7, #7, #4, & #4 under Dabo, while the SEC has been #1, #2, #2, #1, #1, #1 under Spurrier, so obviously it's harder to win in the SEC than the ACC.

Yet Spurrier took over a historically weaker SCar team that went 5-7, 5-7, 6-5 and unranked in the 3 years prior to taking over, and Spurrier turned them into a perennial SEC East contender, and a one-time SEC-East champ, that has finished with 3-straight, Top 25 final rankings and 2-straight Top 10, 11-win seasons. He has owned Clemson for the last FOUR years-- even though Clemson historically owned SCar before Dabo took over.

Dabo took over a historically good Clemson team, stocked with top-ranked recruiting classes and laden with future-NFL talent (like Spiller, Ford, et al) that, in the 3 years prior to taking over, had finished 8-5, 9-4, 7-6 (twice finishing ranked in the Top 25), and Dabo continued to finish in and out of the Top 25 (with no Top 10 finishes).

I'm not sure what makes you think Dabo accomplished more than Spurrier unless you think the ACC is as tough as the SEC.

Re: "Is he on the level with Spurrior"

May 18, 2013, 8:00 PM [ in reply to "Is he on the level with Spurrior" ]

I understand supporting your team and coach but you are being willfully obtuse if you believe that.

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic