Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Update: ESPN: ACC plans on continuing FCS games
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Football Update: ESPN: ACC plans on continuing FCS games

May 16, 2013, 11:07 AM

ESPN: ACC plans on continuing FCS games

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NO

May 16, 2013, 11:13 AM

No this is BS. All power 5 conferences should play FBS teams ONLY. Maybe only other power 5 but that is worth discussing.

It's not our responsibility to keep bad football programs alive.

I'm with Dabo here

May 16, 2013, 11:40 AM

fine with playing 1 per year so that we can see some proud FCS programs try to pull an App State-like upset and increase exposure for some of our lesser in-state programs.

Plus it gives my friends and relatives...

May 16, 2013, 3:28 PM

...one more Saturday each year where they can schedule a wedding and only receive a scowl instead of a beating.

Why does it have to be FBS?

May 16, 2013, 11:41 AM [ in reply to NO ]

What's the difference in beating Kent St. 45-0 compared to beating SC State 48-0? If a program is inferior having the title of a FBS school means nothing.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson doesn't care about basketball....as evidenced by Brown-L getting 14 years.

Plus, SC State has a much better band!***

May 16, 2013, 1:30 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it doesn't make any difference at all...nothing***

May 16, 2013, 1:51 PM [ in reply to Why does it have to be FBS? ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe we should schedule Duke twice?***

May 17, 2013, 8:57 AM [ in reply to Why does it have to be FBS? ]

We are playing 2 FBS because Cent Mich pulled out right?***

May 16, 2013, 1:19 PM [ in reply to NO ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Is that why the article claims we are playing two?***

May 16, 2013, 3:31 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FCS teams aren't automatically bad because they come from a

May 16, 2013, 1:20 PM [ in reply to NO ]

smaller school or give fewer scholarship.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ask Michigan how "bad" FCS teams like App State are...

May 16, 2013, 1:30 PM [ in reply to NO ]

I'm holding a likely minority opinion in this matter, but I'd like to see each of the smaller SC schools play on a rotating basis in Death Valley.

Sure it's a whupping most of the time for those guys, but the combination of keeping money in state, maintaining some traditional bonds between Clemson and these schools and the chance for hundreds of kids who otherwise never would have the thrill of playing in the Valley makes it a plus for us.

If the day comes that playing such a game might actually hurt Clemson, then regretfully we'll need to cut the cord. But that day isn't here yet.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that day probably won't come....playing a game against an

May 16, 2013, 1:49 PM

instate program is tradition...Clemson and Citadel have played 36 times...Clemson and Furman have played 56 times. There's a lot of history there.

While I understand....

May 16, 2013, 12:22 PM

the concept of playing teams like Wofford, elCid, Furman, SC State and Coastal in order to keep the football revenue in state, my position has alwyas been and remains that as long as there are sufficient non-BCS Division 1 teams willing to play at Clemson without expecting a return home game, continuing to schedule FCS opponents should be done out of necessity and as a fall-back option only.

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Clemson must win least 7 games to become bowl eligible

May 16, 2013, 12:43 PM

After SC State and The Citadel games

Now that Tommy Bowden is gone, hopefully the 7 win season

May 16, 2013, 1:01 PM

is too! (I know Dabo had one but he's 21-6 since.)

having been part of an FCS program that traveled....

May 16, 2013, 1:19 PM

to Arkansas, SC, Air Force, Army during my four years for the kids of those programs it's an incredible experience. It gives those kids a chance to see where they stand against the bigger boys. It generates a ton of cash for the smaller programs. The downside of only playing FBS schools is it hurts the kids/programs at the smaller schools. You're playing a football game...it really doesn't matter in the end if the team is from the Southern Conf or the Sunbelt. The big boys get a guaranteed home date and in most cases a win.

Not the case when my team went to Arkansas or SC.

:)

I bet you know my buddy Dwayne Smalls

May 16, 2013, 1:32 PM

who also played for the Citadel team that beat USC-lite.

I do....what really got us fired up for that game is at the

May 16, 2013, 1:46 PM

time The State paper had an writer that would provide a preview of each SC game...game plan...etc. He said in his write up before that game that all SC had to do to win that game was show up. Coach Taaffe brought that into the team mtg and read it to the guys...we were ready to play. I remember staring into the stands after that game and Big you should have seen the fans faces...they were in shock. As a Clemson fan growing up it was an incredible day. Only wish my dad could have lived long enough to be there to share it with me.

I definitely remember the game....

May 16, 2013, 2:05 PM

We were on our way home from Raleigh after watching Clemson beat NC State 24 - 17 when we heard the score on the radio.

Re: I definitely remember the game....

May 17, 2013, 12:28 PM

Wasn't there another game where Citadel actually blew out Scar, like 45-0?

Let's just play GT twice...problem solved***

May 16, 2013, 1:56 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic