Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mickey Plyler's Blog: Lost Hope
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 87
| visibility 1

Mickey Plyler's Blog: Lost Hope

Apr 24, 2013, 10:54 AM

Lost Hope

Lost Hope
Monday was a bad day for me. It was one where I lost some hope.

I knew it was a long shot, but I had hope that we could one day get into a better league. I knew the Big 12 was a geographical nightmare but I loved the idea. I knew the SEC had no plans at the time to expand bu

Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

they spent "$20 more than Clemson".. REALLY?

Apr 24, 2013, 11:02 AM

Please proof read - at the very least - your stats.

Otherwise, who cares. I think we get too wrapped up in the scenery from the fans' points of view. College sports is, sadly, not about fans. It's a business. They can only sell so many tickets. So many memebrships. So many seat equity plans, and they can get only so much for those things. So it can't be about fans. College sports is about - ALL about - long term success, steady & secure income and solidarity between its members. The ACC achieved everything it should have from a pure business point of view. As long as we're winning our conference and going to a BCS bowl for most of the next 13 years, who cares! In other words... control what we can control.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

^^^ doesn't go to away games.***

Apr 24, 2013, 11:05 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

THE TIGERS ARE IN MY HEART..... BUT THE DUCKS ARE IN MY PANTS....

time to move on Mick

Apr 24, 2013, 11:29 AM [ in reply to they spent "$20 more than Clemson".. REALLY? ]

Reading this blog today gives me a visual picture in my mind of a little boy who didn't get the newest, fanciest bike in the store, and proceeds to walk down the street, head down, kicking at the loose rocks as he goes.

Best to buck up, and soldier on. Let's tune this sucker up and make it the best GD bike we can and quit whining about the other guy.

Point.***

Apr 25, 2013, 2:45 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: Lost Hope

Apr 24, 2013, 11:03 AM

AMEN!! Mickey....my thoughts exactly.... but not of our leadership.

We don't love Clemson because of the Tigers. We love the Tigers because ofClemson

Good blog Mickey. My sentiments exactly.

Apr 24, 2013, 11:24 AM

We are going to have to make the most of it though.

Perhaps we hold contests like can we bring more fans than Duke, Wake Forest, and Syracuse to their own stadiums? Can we create mini Death Valleys in those stadiums with our fans and have a hell of a time beating the crap out of them.

Mini Clemson Tailgate parties from Boston to Durham. That's all there is. Show them we are football and we love it and mean business.

We cannot allow the small-time football feel of the ACC zap our big time SEC football feel. We are a Southern Football School and football is our passion!

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message was edited by: AThomas®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is bigger than football

Apr 24, 2013, 11:26 AM

I take pride in Clemson as a school as much as a football program. I am proud of my degree (That I will be getting in two weeks) and the prestigious conference that I am a part of.

Stop acting like this is the end of the world. So we added Pitt and Syracuse. So what? For every BC, Syracuse, and Duke there is a FSU, GT, Miami, VT, and several others with a solid football tradition. The strength of conferences comes in shifts. I don't really see how the Big 12 or the Big 1o is really that far ahead of the ACC from a football standpoint

I like being able to play geographically logical rivals. Who wants to travel to Iowa State or Texas Tech for away games? How many Maryland fans do you think will make it out to Minnesota or Wisconsin?

Staying in the ACC was the best move for Clemson. Deny it all you want, but it's true

Geographically logical rivals? Syracuse? BC? Pitt?

Apr 13, 2019, 8:58 PM

How about UGA, Auburn, Florida, Tennessee, etc. Now those are geographically LOGICAL Rivals.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How about playing against the GB Packers and Dallas Cowboys?

Apr 24, 2013, 11:33 AM

Since we're lamenting these opportunities that didn't exist (joining the SEC), I thought I'd go for broke.

null

Let's not kid ourselves

Apr 24, 2013, 12:09 PM [ in reply to Geographically logical rivals? Syracuse? BC? Pitt? ]

we all knew the SEC wasn't going to invite us, mind as well make the best out of the cards that we were dealt

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

please let me know when you go for interviews if ANYONE

Apr 24, 2013, 11:31 AM [ in reply to This is bigger than football ]

ask or mentions the ACC.....Just one....come back and let us know how the ACC got you a job. As a 20 yr member of the work force I have conducted and sat in on many interviews. The individual is all I care about. You've got a degree...check...now how can you make an impact within our team. The degree is merely a check box to complete to get you in the door...after that it's never discussed....never.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I mentioned before our affiliation with the ACC got me a job

Apr 24, 2013, 7:03 PM

My employer here (many, many miles from the US) was familiar with Duke, UNC, and UVA and the only reason he had heard of Clemson. He made the offhand remark how we were in really good company and it was how I got my foot in the door and eventually got the job.

You're right, it's the individual that counts, but name recognition is a catalyst for getting in front of someone to show what you're made of. Contrary to what you may think or have experienced, I have discussed my degree on numerous occasions. It has been a selling point for me and a successful one at that.

'The strength of conferences comes in shifts.' That WAS

Apr 24, 2013, 11:32 AM [ in reply to This is bigger than football ]

true. But the current shift is due to more money and more marketing (ESecPN). Over time, I don't see how other conferences can combat that - and it's just going to get worse.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Unless its the Ivy League, what athletic conference the

Apr 24, 2013, 11:37 AM [ in reply to This is bigger than football ]

school your degree is from participates in is of little to no consequence. ...and before you ask, yes, I am a Clemson graduate.

agreed....most people you interview with unless it's a grad

Apr 24, 2013, 11:38 AM

of that particular school don't care where you went to school at all. Just doesn't matter. Hard to hear and most people may not agree with it but it simply doesn't matter.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not true, see my comment above.

Apr 24, 2013, 7:34 PM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=13838990#13838990

We have seen it. It is a rare situation***

Apr 25, 2013, 8:21 AM

Vt may never be what they were and Gt has its issues as

Apr 25, 2013, 8:28 AM [ in reply to This is bigger than football ]

Well. We need Miami to get real good reall soon and I think that will happen. As far as the money goes, it is what it is nd I event thought the big ten had a better deal than the sec. Acc needs to win nc in football, get its own tv network, and maybe they can level the plying field in terms of revenue .

Good Grief Mickey....you are smarter than this..I think

Apr 24, 2013, 11:28 AM

There was no way we were ever going to be invited to the SEC. AND we are rid of the terps.

Regardless of who we play...WE ARE CLEMSON and we are blessed indeed to be what we are.

We play on one of the prettiest campuses in one of the best stadiums in America. Embrace that instead of this absurd SEC envy.

I'm happy for the stability and am looking forward to seeing Louisville and the Irish in Death Valley.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

Re: Good Grief Mickey....you are smarter than this..I think

Apr 24, 2013, 2:19 PM

Louisville yes but ND is a tease. Swofford offered them a parachute when they get locked out with conferences going to 9 conference game schedules. Mickey has a point.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Then you will have no trouble giving me your

Apr 25, 2013, 2:02 PM

ND tickets in 2015.

Orange Googlers Unite

Somebody please Give Mickey an all expenses paid trip

Apr 24, 2013, 11:30 AM

to Starkvegas.

Orange Googlers Unite

When the SEC chose MIssouri the writing was on the wall

Apr 24, 2013, 11:30 AM

Yes it would have been nice for us to join the SEC but it obviously was not going to happen.

The Big 12 is/was in as much danger as the ACC and it would have killed our recruiting.

So, accepting those realities, this is great news for Clemson. It will make the ACC stronger and with the additions of Louiville and Syracuse (Pittsburgh was a bad move IMO) we could end up being the #2 or #3 conference in football. It will keep Fl State in the fold.

I am really sick about hearing about So Carolina. Who cares? Kentucky is the same league they are and all that money hasn't helped their football program. We just need to get back to beating So Car on a regular basis.

Apr 24, 2013, 11:32 AM

The ACC has had issues the last few years but so do all the other conferences when compared to SEC football. The prize the ACC is looking at now is an ACC channel like the Big 10 has had and SEC is working on. Please tell me what sport you would watch on the SEC channel? College baseball maybe... All the football games are already televised as are all the ACC football games.
We are positioned now to have a channel to rival the Big10 and I think the basketball, soccer, baseball, tennis and golf in the ACC is excellent. With ND, Syracuse, Pitt and Louisville joining the exisitng members we may reach more households than the Big10! There is money to be made in other sports than football with the proper marketing and quality. The Big10 has proved that! The Big10 pulls more cash than the SEC and it ain't because of the excellence of its football teams!

Excellent post

Apr 24, 2013, 11:37 AM

nm

No it's not. Not even a little bit.

Apr 24, 2013, 12:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: Lost Hope ]

What makes a conference network valuable are the number of eyeballs it can attract.
The ACC has no fans, the rest doesnt matter.

The SEC has more fans that care more, thus more money.

We screwed away any leverage we have with the ACC.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No it's not. Not even a little bit.

Apr 24, 2013, 12:59 PM

The SEC has more football fans. The ACC has more fans of other sports that are not currently being televised.
Tell me of one football game last season that you wanted to watch that was not on broacast TV, nor cable nor ESPN3? Football is booked and it is the only sport most SEC fans watch. Football, Football recruiting and spring football, fall camp dominates. Adding ND to the mix in other sports may give us a national audience in non-football broadcasts. The SEC nor the Big10 can match that.

Sorry, Mickey, but it boils down to this:

Apr 24, 2013, 1:12 PM

As it stands, there are just two conferences that make sense for Clemson:

1. The SEC
2. The ACC

The SEC is not happening. Probably ever. So we confirmed our place at the table with the next best thing.

I think you're certainly in the minority thinking the Big 12 is a better fit. Are there advantages? Sure. Football is the priority and the money COULD be better, marginally. The advantages end there. The fact of the matter is that we have nothing in common with any of the schools in that conference. NONE. There is not a rivalry to be had. Maybe had we jumped ship along with FSU, we'd have one sort-of-rival. Just ask an honest West Virgina fan (if you can find one) if they'd prefer the ACC or the Big 12-- the answer is obvious, for a lot of reasons. WVU is stuck on an island in that conference and we would be, too.

While you lament road trips to our neighbors in Durham and Winston-Salem, you neglect to mention what we DO have: Georgia Tech, FSU, and Virginia Tech... All within driving distance. Same goes for UNC and NC State. You think Frank Howard would approve of never playing the White Meat up in Charlottesville anymore? Absolutely not.

The ACC isn't perfect, but that's more a reflection of college sports and expansion than it is our conference. We HAD to get schools like Pittsburgh and Syracuse in order to survive. It was done out of necessity, not out of want. Most power conferences have made similar moves.

Putting our name on the GOR agreement ensures that our best option remains stable. It was the smart move.

As they say, the grass is always greener on the other side of the street: I know that trips to Norman and Austin sound awesome, but the novelty of a few great opponents & road trips will wear off. Clemson will be on an island, an after-thought, much the way Maryland will be in the B1G and WVU in the Big 12.

Good, common sense post.

Apr 25, 2013, 12:17 AM

The whiners will always be with us but this agreement is good for Clemson. Time will prove it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 24, 2013, 11:20 PM [ in reply to Re: No it's not. Not even a little bit. ]

The SEC network will carry football games, and thus ESPN will have control of every SEC football game other than the CBS game of the week. So if any cable provider doesn't want to provide the SEC network, ESPN will just start putting their local teams games on the SEC network until the pressure to put the network in the basic cable package is too much.

For example, if Comcast in New Orleans refused to carry the SEC network in the basic cable package, ESPN could just put a couple of big LSU games on there, essentially forcing their hand.

The SEC Network will carry awful games...

Apr 25, 2013, 11:16 AM

Those typically reserved for ESPN3 or worse. It's not about great programming, it's about forcing that network onto cable providers and ultimately onto the paying subscriber. It's about money, nothing more. Please don't try to convince anybody that there's a real market for that network, because there's not. It's all cr@p, for the most part.

Apr 26, 2013, 10:39 AM [ in reply to No it's not. Not even a little bit. ]

It's also just a size disparity between the ACC and the SEC. Larger schools generate larger alumi bases which generate more money. The SEC schools, on average, are much larger than the ACC schools.

Oh for goodness sake. Ridiculous. ******

Apr 24, 2013, 11:34 AM

null

I"m not one to usually criticize blog posts

Apr 24, 2013, 11:38 AM

But it undermines your point when you make mistakes like "$100,000,000 more million dollars" and "$20 dollars more than Clemson".

I disagree with much of the post, but I understand his sentiments. However, he does himself a disservice by making such odd mistakes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apparently I'm not good enough for Mickey Plyler...

Apr 24, 2013, 11:39 AM

I'm from the north. I went to Clemson. I love Clemson. My family loves Clemson. We all wear orange every Friday. I donate to IPTAY. I donate to TigerNet. I travel to many games a year (football, basketball, baseball). I might eat more okra than any other person in the Adirondacks.

Mickey Plyler in this blog made statements that come off as making it seem that I'm not like him. I'm not from the South, so I'm not like him.

I've always enjoyed your blog Mickey, I probably still will, but I feel you stretched a bit to far on this one.

I agree, the ACC has issues and I'm not extremely happy with many decisions they have made. That said, calling out other fan bases and people from outside the south is not going to solve anything.

I may not have been born in the Southland, but I love Clemson and bleed purple and orange just as much as any other Tiger.

Your being kind. The blog post is absurd.

Apr 24, 2013, 11:48 AM

I've pointed out before, Clemson's students are from the east coast. When they graduate, they stay on the east coast.

The SEC was not offering Clemson an invitation.

The Big 10 was not offering Clemson an invitation (and talk about having nothing in common).

The Big 12 is a midwestern conference. Very few Clemson students come from there and very few go there after graduating. We have far less in common with that region of the country than we do with the north.

null

Re: Your being kind. The blog post is absurd.

Apr 24, 2013, 2:33 PM

Very true. When I was a student at CU (1988-1992), I was surprised how many of my fellow students were from the northeast, especially New York and New Jersey. Apparently at the time (and perhaps still...I haven't really looked into it), out-of-state tuition at Clemson was significantly less than in-state tuition at their own state schools (never mind private institutions).

Anyway, the line about northern fans not looking, dressing, talking or eating like him is pretty stupid. Heaven forbid one should meet and interact with people of different backgrounds three or four times a year.

This applies to me as well. Good post.***

Apr 24, 2013, 4:42 PM [ in reply to Apparently I'm not good enough for Mickey Plyler... ]

Apr 24, 2013, 12:10 PM

Absolutely love this article. Amen...

Lost Perspective***

Apr 24, 2013, 12:19 PM

NAILED IT 100% MICKEY

Apr 24, 2013, 12:33 PM

How or why the presidents at CLemson, FSU, or VT agreed to this nonsense is beyond me.....well, Barker is a buffoon, so I guess I get that one. Oh well, it is what it is at this point, and we have to move on and hope the ACC eventually stops sucking at football. (Not holding my breath on that one)

Well, try holding your breath. About

Apr 25, 2013, 12:21 AM

two minutes should do it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I get the impression that a lot of people either don't get

Apr 24, 2013, 12:49 PM

what a huge deal the money discrepancy is between the SEC and ACC, or, more likely, they do get it and just pretend that it isn't and everything is just fine.

i get the feeling a lot of people don't have all the

Apr 24, 2013, 1:07 PM

information & are waiting before they comment.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm staying by my computer!***

Apr 24, 2013, 1:09 PM

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

you're a thoughtful poster...

Apr 24, 2013, 1:11 PM

which helps offset gwp's shenanigans.

i point you for it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I get the impression that a lot of people either don't get

Apr 24, 2013, 1:10 PM [ in reply to I get the impression that a lot of people either don't get ]

Clemson will never be competitive on a athletic budget with Texas nor Alabama! We are competitive with every member of the ACC. We have advantages over most of them, we are in the top 4 in athletic revenue and will remain so except for ND. But we do not fight with ND for a conference title in football. I want Clemson to get to the NC game, to the playoff next year... the best shot of us doing that is playing in the ACC.
We could schedule better teams out of conference if we want a stronger schedule. But FSU or Miami may get to the NC game before we do. I do think that FSU, Miami, Louisville, and Clemson are recruiting well enough to compete with the SEC.

here's the challenge though...

Apr 24, 2013, 1:12 PM

we aren't competing with most of the ACC for the recruits....most of the time we are competing with SEC members....SC, GA, Auburn, and Florida. So we aren't playing on a level playing field in a very important area....getting the kids.

Re: here's the challenge though...

Apr 24, 2013, 1:22 PM

The last 3 years our recruiting class has been better than USC. I expect that difference to be evident in the game in November. We are competitive with SEC schools for players, GA UF FSU have a state advantage not an SEC advantage. Clemson and USC are now signing most of the better players in SC, a few years ago we were losing 5 of the top 10 to out of state schools. That bleeding seems to have stopped and now we are poaching in Ga, Tenn, and Fla and NC and Va.

hopefully so in November

Apr 24, 2013, 1:25 PM

I will disagree on GA and FL....they both have an SEC advantage that Auburn does as well. Many kids want to play in the SEC right now. Winning has done that with the national titles in a row.....ESPN and CBS have helped them build a great brand that is helping w/ recruiting. The lack of ACC results on a big stage have contributed to this being seen as a little brother conference. It's going to take sustained winning for a long time for this SEC advantage to go away.

we seem to lose too many of our top targeted ol & dl. i'm

Apr 24, 2013, 1:33 PM [ in reply to Re: here's the challenge though... ]

not saying we don't get good kids at those positions, but too many people i think put value on an overall ranking and don't break it down.

adams was a big loss. i'm not questioning our coaches ability to target talent, but no doubt we took mav morris, giff and a number of others because our first line targets went elsewhere. this is where i believe the sec makes their hay over clemson.

agreed......very thoughtful and intelligence post as always.***

Apr 24, 2013, 1:38 PM

Apr 24, 2013, 5:23 PM [ in reply to Re: here's the challenge though... ]

> The last 3 years our recruiting class has been better
> than USC. I expect that difference to be evident in
> the game in November. We are competitive with SEC
> schools for players, GA UF FSU have a state advantage
> not an SEC advantage. Clemson and USC are now signing
> most of the better players in SC, a few years ago we
> were losing 5 of the top 10 to out of state schools.
> That bleeding seems to have stopped and now we are
> poaching in Ga, Tenn, and Fla and NC and Va.

according to Scout Rankings you haven't. Rivals ranking are a few spots apart. There will be no difference in November. Fear the thumb!

Apr 25, 2013, 9:59 AM

no fear.....

We will have a better team this year than last year... better OL and DL, better receivers, more depth at RB, better LBs.

The only position I am not sure we will be better at is DBs.

Re: I get the impression that a lot of people either don't get

Apr 26, 2013, 10:42 AM [ in reply to Re: I get the impression that a lot of people either don't get ]

I agree. Long term, as long as the ACC holds onto it's BCS bowl status, Clemson has a much easier path to a NC than being anywhere else.

what do you mean....

Apr 24, 2013, 1:10 PM [ in reply to I get the impression that a lot of people either don't get ]

..there's none of that on here...

how many nanners did it take to get gwp, lbu & dave

Apr 24, 2013, 1:45 PM

to sit still for that glam shot?

or is that bob, joey & hartins? it's so hard to tell; pumpers all look the same.

Gotta be gwp, lbu & dave. I'm not that hairy.***

Apr 24, 2013, 2:23 PM

Perhaps you could enlighten us? ******

Apr 24, 2013, 1:13 PM [ in reply to I get the impression that a lot of people either don't get ]

null

A lot of people don't get the facts. You can cry all

Apr 24, 2013, 1:53 PM [ in reply to I get the impression that a lot of people either don't get ]

you want but it won't change the fact that we were not going to the SEC. You can speculate why but if it was going to happen it would have.

Now with that reality in place what is best for Clemson?

Hoping that we get picked up by the Big 12 or Big 10 or making sure the ACC stays as strong as possible?

This was the best possible move. It kept Louiville, Fl State, Va Tech and Miami in the fold. Without it, they could leave.

If Clemson and those teams get their act together there is no reason that we can't get to the level of the SEC. I remember the SEC when Alabama was terrible. Things rise and fall.

I guarantee that the Clemson board, Pres and AD know way

Apr 24, 2013, 2:26 PM

more than Deadsolidperfect does about the financial ramifications of ACC stability versus any other option Clemson had. And they chose a stable ACC.

null

Re: I guarantee that the Clemson board, Pres and AD know way

Apr 24, 2013, 2:32 PM

I just hope they have made the right call..

Umm, pretty sure that's what dsp was saying -- that those of

Apr 24, 2013, 2:39 PM [ in reply to I guarantee that the Clemson board, Pres and AD know way ]

us without knowledge of the entire situation should wait to comment until we have more facts. But maybe your reading comprehension is better than mine.

Whoops. No, you're right. That response was meant for

Apr 24, 2013, 4:07 PM

surroundedtiger.

Apologies to DSP!

null

no worries wookie...

Apr 25, 2013, 4:00 PM

but dinner & dancing are definitely out of the question now.

;)

That's what they all say...at first. ******

Apr 25, 2013, 5:12 PM

null

is that some sort of icebreaker big fella?

Apr 26, 2013, 10:55 AM

:)

You two really need to get a room.***

Apr 26, 2013, 10:57 AM

i'm holding out for the ritz...

Apr 26, 2013, 11:02 AM

wookie's supplying the hookers & blow.

You don't know what can happen next!!

Apr 24, 2013, 1:59 PM

Over the next few years the SEC may fall and (for example only)the PAC could take over being the top football conference, or which ever conference may rise up to take over. (ESPN will rewrite its contracts to make money for ESPN.)
The reality is that these things are cyclical.
Mickey, who is to say that if Clemson does leave for conference "next" and then the ACC rises up to take over as the best football conference after Clemson is gone? Then what? May be worse may be better?

As for Clemson,the key will always be to win games. Just win, get into the playoffs and keep producing wins. Everything else will take care of itself.

Dear Mickey,

Apr 24, 2013, 2:28 PM

I will be MORE than happy to proof-read your blog posts for you before you post them to the front page. Seriously. Just let me know and I will give you my email address.

MauldinT, where are you???

Misspelled "Deer". But due to your gif, you are excused.***

Apr 24, 2013, 3:10 PM

Re: When the SEC chose MIssouri the writing was on the wall

Apr 24, 2013, 3:27 PM

Kentucky uses their football money to cheat at basketball

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Stop Whining and Get Over It

Apr 24, 2013, 3:32 PM

I don't understand this whining about what wasn't and isn't going to happen. If we win against ACC competition we will be fine. As others have said, football success goes in cycles. With Clemson, Fla St, Miami, Va Tech, Louisville, UNC, Ga Tech plus Notre Dame we can have quality football - maybe not all of these next year but they have done it before. Last time I went to see Syracuse and Clemson play they beat the crap out of us - so did Pittsburgh. Both a long time ago but so was our NC. Lets drop the complaining and play football in the ACC.

Re: I agree with Mickey

Apr 24, 2013, 3:37 PM

the difference in the money is already showing in football and baseball, the SEC money is blowing away the ACC money and it is going to get worse. With the exception of football stadiums, CU's facilities are far behind what chickens have. I have seen reports that they took in over $20 million more in revenue than CU this past year, I hope that these figures are wrong but the new SEC network will widen the gap even more.

Odd how nobody mentions the $100 million disparity or

Apr 24, 2013, 4:00 PM

simply chooses to ignore it.....Mickey has a valid point there no matter what your position is.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Re: Odd how nobody mentions the $100 million disparity or

Apr 24, 2013, 4:10 PM

O`yer!! lets not talk about that or that the advantage the c$$ts have over us will only increase..we will be called coots

Repost for the afternoon crowd...

Apr 24, 2013, 4:10 PM [ in reply to Odd how nobody mentions the $100 million disparity or ]

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=13837294

Can I get back my lost 43 seconds reading this?

Apr 24, 2013, 4:46 PM

How about trailing Texas by over $900,000,000 the next 13 years in athletic spending with a move to the Big 12... They are still spending $130 Million a year while Clemson spends $60-65 million.

Now the ACC makes the same if not more than the Big 12 with a bump to 20 Million in TV rights. If Mickey actually followed expansion rather than spouting non-sense he'd know this.

Let it go Plyler...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 24, 2013, 5:32 PM

Thanks Mickey: I said the same thing Monday......this is a win for everyone but FSU and Clemson, football wise. But hey, what do I know? The litmus test will be our football record (and scores) versus SC from 2013-2027. Let's see who was right in 15 years! BTW, I truly hope I'm dead wrong about this, but I'm afraid I'm exactly right.

We were not going to get invited to the SEC. They were

Apr 24, 2013, 6:08 PM

licking their chops over the possibility of getting UNC, UVA, VT, NC State, or even Duke. They wanted new states for their conference footprint. Now they can go after East CArolina and Richmond.

Without an invite to the SEC, this GOR is the best outcome. It is actually better. We are in a conference where we are one of the big dogs. We could have competed in the SEC at least as good as SC, even better I'm sure, but this is a better situation. We, along with FSU, VT, Miami are the big dogs.

Are we really a football school?

Apr 24, 2013, 8:08 PM

We say we are, but only 20,000 showed up for the spring game, whereas Auburn, a similarly sized school had 80,000 show up for their spring game.
We say we are a football school, we say we want a winning program, but most of our fan base doesn't really act like it.

Re: Are we really a football school?

Apr 24, 2013, 8:19 PM

I believe we had 30,000. Also, Auburn took the trees down. They don't typically get 80,000. If we were taking away the Rock forever, we would get 80k too.

Ha ha ha!...wait...you're serious!?!

Apr 25, 2013, 9:36 AM [ in reply to Are we really a football school? ]

"Are we really a football school?"

Wow.

According to NCAA.com, we averaged more fans per game last year than:
Notre Dame
Wisconsin
South Carolina
FSU
Michigan State

I could go on but we hit up against schools that will never get near Clemson due to stadium capacity (ie, VT).

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2012/Internet/attendance/FBS_AVGATTENDANCE.pdf

Our stadium is consistently listed as one of the top five in the country.

Our game day atmosphere is consistenly listed as one of the top 10 in the country.

Our entrance tradition is consistenly listed as one of the top three in the country.

We have the highest paid assistant coaching staff in the country.

We consistenly recruit in the top 15 in the country.

Our spring game attendance is top 15 in the country (although, admittedly, "30,000" is an AWFULLY round number). Ahead of Oklahoma, LSU, Penn State, FSU, Michigan State, Michigan, USC, and Ok State.

Are we a really a football school? Geez, I dunno.

null

Is this 2013 or 1863?

Apr 25, 2013, 1:57 AM

Dude, you sound like you are still fighting the Civil War. Let it go. They play Football in New York and Pennsylvania too. So what, they don't dress like you dress, or eat what you eat. I was born and raised in Spartanburg, SC and I probably don't eat what you eat or dress like you dress either! It sounds to me like you are just another SEC groupie to me.

Couldn't agree more Mickey!***

Apr 25, 2013, 3:46 PM

Sorry but

Apr 25, 2013, 5:17 PM

I would rather stay in the ACC and win the conference every year then to go to the SEC and be in the middle of the pack like we would be. Sorry but we have trouble winning the acc

Replies: 87
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic