Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: TigerNet Talk: Catching up with Cliff Ellis
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1,957

Front Page Story: TigerNet Talk: Catching up with Cliff Ellis

Apr 4, 2013, 9:25 AM

TigerNet Talk: Catching up with Cliff Ellis

This week former Clemson Men's Basketball Coach Cliff Ellis sits down with Lawton to talk about his days at Clemson. What was he told about the job in 1984? What would he think about coaching in the ACC with the additions of Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt, and Notre Dame? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

one of the best recruiters we ever had imo

Apr 4, 2013, 9:32 AM

some of our programs best ever players came during his tenure. Grant brothers, Davis, Campbell, Whitney(still my favorite pg), Marshall, White.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes- he got the job done. I was so impressed with his

Apr 4, 2013, 9:53 AM

passion for Clemson. He had some great thoughts Brad Brownell's position in the ACC as well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgtnt_user_logo.pngbadge-ringofhonor-elswann.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But he never knew when to call a timeout***

Mar 26, 2024, 8:03 PM [ in reply to one of the best recruiters we ever had imo ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

i don't recall that but his main problem

Apr 4, 2013, 9:58 AM

was being a 50-50 coach. We either sucked or we made the tourney. Not much middle ground if I remember. Weird but some of his teams that made the tourney wouldn't even get a sniff today based of record.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: i don't recall that but his main problem

Apr 4, 2013, 10:06 AM

Couldn't shoot free throws, well I don't know if he could, but the team couldn't

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seems like we can NEVER shoot them. If we hit the front end

Apr 4, 2013, 10:42 AM

of the 1 and 1 vs UCONN the name Tate George might not mean anything in Clemson basketball history.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgtnt_user_logo.pngbadge-ringofhonor-elswann.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we had that draining loss to UConn and the Buckingham

Apr 4, 2013, 11:00 AM [ in reply to one of the best recruiters we ever had imo ]

fiasco after year 6. He could never regain his mojo after that. Recruiting was a struggle as other teams used buckingham against us.....Cliff could also go after JCs which we cant very much these days.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

Great interview. Coach Ellis genuinely loves Clemson.***

Apr 4, 2013, 10:56 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Thanks for the kind words. As much as he loves Clemson

Apr 4, 2013, 5:38 PM

Tiger fans would be hard pressed not to take him back if he ever wanted the gig again. Not saying it would happen, but if you want someone who really loves Clemson he's the guy.

Re: Thanks for the kind words. As much as he loves Clemson

Apr 5, 2013, 9:22 AM

I'm a big BB supporter and hope he stays a LONG time at Clemson but we will likely run him out of town next year. I always liked Cliff and think a large contengent of Tiger fans would like to see him back. That's a tough sell though for numerous reasons but I could see it as possible. I thought he really developed his craft at Clemson; not a real good X & O coach in general, particularly early, but I felt he grew a lot in that area during his tenure.

Good interview and I certainly wish him well at CC.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 1,957
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic