Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mickey Plyler's Blog: Program Identity
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

Mickey Plyler's Blog: Program Identity

Mar 19, 2013, 5:05 AM

Program Identity

Program Identity
After the 2010 football season at Clemson I criticized Dabo SwinneyDab

Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: Program Identity

Mar 19, 2013, 7:20 AM

Purnell's biggest problem, it seemed to me, was that his "branding" built tough teams that could frustrate any opponent on any given night; but that it also wore out its own players, such that making a sustained tournament run was extremely difficult. Asking the team to put on a high-pressure defense like that 2-3 times in a 48-hour period was more than the players could handle. And so that glaring hole in his strategy also got built into his brand.

I have no idea what Brownell's brand is. I hope he establishes one soon, before the fans start tagging him with the Shyatt-esque label.

Mar 19, 2013, 8:46 AM

I think Brownell has a brand. It's defense. Ugly, ugly basketball on the offensive end and a ton of defense on the other end. Albeit, the offense isn't supposed to be ugly, but there are absolutely no shooters or great drivers on this team, which seems to be what it's all predicated on.

It's not good enough to play good teams close, but this team hung with some pretty good competition throughout the year. It's Tommy Bowden syndrome, but on a seemingly more exaggerated scale, with loss after loss after loss mounting throughout the season.

I'd say give him two more years, unless next year is an absolute disaster.

Mar 19, 2013, 11:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: Program Identity ]

I agree. Comparing Bronwell to Shyatt ridiculous. Would be like comparing Every blogger that takes the time to have someone proof work or use spell check to Mickey.

Bronwell can coach.

we've got an identity

Mar 19, 2013, 8:53 AM

it's not a good one but we've got one.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 19, 2013, 9:01 AM

I do have sympathy for this years team, but it only raises my expectations for next year. It was an inconsistent year and the frustrating part was this team was capable of being very good, but just could not play consistently.

As far as identity, I hope we can trade the loosing end of a buzzer beater identity for a team that can make a lot of FT's.

Message was edited by: elwyn07®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Off-base Mickey

Mar 19, 2013, 10:06 AM

To say BB doesn't have an identity is plain ridiculous. He has run the same style/identity since he was at UNC-W. The fact we didn't win a lot of games this year does not define a lack of identity.

BB has to improve his recruiting; I'm sure he realizes it. I don't understand the backlash given this is the first poor year he's had, he has two seniors on the team (one who is good but not great, the other is ----) and sophomores/freshmen trying to learn his system and play at a higher level than they've ever seen. BB has all the ingredients to be a very successful coach at Clemson if he can get a little better "talent". I think he should get two more years to see his players through, prove he is building a quality program, improve his recruiting (this takes time) and establish us in the middle of the pack within the conference (which is the ONLY realistic expectation we should have at this time).

I don't know what people expected this year but BB knew last year that this season would be a rough year. We had some tough luck and lost too many close games (see leadership issues above). I did not expect us to win a lot more than we did given our circumstances.

I think this guy can really coach and it would be a mistake not to allow him sufficient time to showcase his acumen. Sometimes you have to ride out a few bumps to get to the smooth road.

We can disagree on BB's tenure here but the Shyatt comparisons are embarrassing for people to make - only showcases their utter incompetence.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "OP's NCAA record was not that great"***

Mar 19, 2013, 11:50 AM

Re: "OP's NCAA record was not that great"***

Mar 19, 2013, 11:53 AM

Mickey, his NCAA record Is horrible!!!! Purnell has never won an NCAA tournament game. Additionally, it took Purnell 5 years to get to the NCAA tourney. I'll never forget the year that the Tigers started 17-0 and ended up in the NIT!!!! That was the year in which FT shooting cost us 7-8 games!

In my opinion last year was a subpar year as well

Mar 19, 2013, 3:55 PM [ in reply to Off-base Mickey ]

so that's two bad years by BB now. I hope he can get it turned around. I like him, but so far the product on the floor sucks.

.500 in league play is sub-par? Who knew?***

Mar 19, 2013, 4:12 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great POST!

Mar 19, 2013, 4:43 PM [ in reply to Off-base Mickey ]

We can disagree on BB's tenure here but the Shyatt comparisons are embarrassing for people to make - only showcases their utter incompetence.

That should be laminated to each one of those idiot's foreheads just so everyone can see who they were when 3 years from now BB is guiding a team into the NCAA 3rd round.

What an absolute bunch of losers.

Jeff Shyatt greatest Clemson hoops scholarship given ever

Mar 19, 2013, 11:09 PM

When Jeff Shyatt who was possibly a hair better than me and most of scrub friends who played pickup at Jervey was taking a scholarship spot on an ACC team it made Clemson more of a joke than it was during the Shyatt years.

Glad we wrestled Jeff away from all other ACC schools that wanted him.

Thanks for saying exactly what I wanted to say.***

Mar 20, 2013, 11:32 AM [ in reply to Off-base Mickey ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How about this Identity?

Mar 19, 2013, 4:41 PM

Went to NCAA and won a game there with full complement of players in first year.

Next two years suffered from poor last two recruiting cycles from previous coach, and from poor first recruting cycle coming in late for first year as coach.

Now rebuilding team with very athletic players.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic