Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Brownell deserves the chance to make Clemson basketball relevant
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 89
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Brownell deserves the chance to make Clemson basketball relevant

Mar 19, 2013, 12:38 PM

Brownell deserves the chance to make Clemson basketball relevant

The Clemson Tigers missed the postseason for the second year in a row in 2012-13, and the addition of schools like Syracuse and Pitt will make the ACC even tougher. But Brad Brownell deserves a chance to make Clemson basketball relevant again, but he also the deserves the right tools to work with. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

donkeys can run fast......I've seen it***

Mar 19, 2013, 12:46 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think you can say Sullivan is in a funk when

Mar 19, 2013, 12:47 PM

he never even see's the floor.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't think you can say Sullivan is in a funk when

Mar 19, 2013, 12:58 PM

but, but, but,,, if he played better he would play more..is that so hard to understand??

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i never understood

Mar 19, 2013, 1:14 PM

when our players weren't playing well in games and our season was lost, why not play people like Sullivan to see what they actually can do in a game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: i never understood

Mar 19, 2013, 2:54 PM

Are you really an xtiger? what did you play and when?

I bet you were a joy to have as a team mate

Re: Front Page Story: Brownell deserves the chance to make Clemson basketball relevant

Mar 19, 2013, 12:49 PM

Seems like Yall would have learned by now not to make perfect sense on this board. Great article.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Brownell deserves the chance to make Clemson basketball relevant

Mar 19, 2013, 12:52 PM

great article.

null

Maybe 3 more years we can get our winning percentage back

Mar 19, 2013, 12:56 PM

to what it was before he came?

IF we're lucky

Mar 19, 2013, 12:57 PM

he would have to change his recruiting for that to even be a pipe dream, especially with the new ACC.

i'm still looking for an agreement from the supporters that

Mar 19, 2013, 12:59 PM

there MUST be improvement next year and if there isn't then he goes.

Where is the line? Year 4, year 5, year 6?

The supporters always use a moving goal post and were the same people who supported Tommy West in year 5 and Larry Shyatt to the end.

Then they rewrite history and pretend they were the ones getting bashed for knowing these guys weren't working out, years before the change was made.

The line's at 4 for me

Mar 19, 2013, 1:09 PM

I believe there should and will be improvement next year, but I'd like to see his first true recruiting class play as seniors before my final judgement is made.

If u want his guys as seniors you'll have to wait for year 5***

Mar 19, 2013, 1:24 PM

My Bad, Math was never my best subject***

Mar 21, 2013, 1:29 PM

i think that is reasonable and fair, and thanks for giving

Mar 19, 2013, 3:26 PM [ in reply to The line's at 4 for me ]

an actual answer.

While I think a change should be made now, I can respect your position and even agree to it as a compromise position.

Two more years, then evaluate him. See if he has earned

Mar 19, 2013, 1:02 PM

more time.

I'm not saying fire him after two more years. But, evaluate him. See where the program is trending.

Wait, didn't OP make us relevant?

Mar 19, 2013, 1:03 PM

Now in year three we are trying to get back to where we were???

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Where did OP leave us? Did you read the article?***

Mar 20, 2013, 3:46 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The man who 'started the dumpster fire' is now at DePaul

Mar 19, 2013, 1:09 PM

in the sewer...thanks Mr. Purnell--I'll never call you "coach" because your playground style of offense & porous press ruined our program with a bunch of athletes that were not basketball players for the most part.

OP improved every yr

Mar 19, 2013, 1:11 PM

while given a Shyatt of a team.

BB was given a better team and have digressed every yr. The more of OP's players he loses, the worse he does.

Re: OP improved every yr

Mar 19, 2013, 1:20 PM

Yes OP left him in great shape.

1 class full of transfers/Busts and 1 empty class.

That is how we got to where we are now.

null

On this we agree clemmy. And hey,

Mar 19, 2013, 1:22 PM

I'm feeling a little down today and need a boost. I'll give you a point if you give me one :):)

Two Different Styles of Play

Mar 19, 2013, 1:28 PM [ in reply to Re: OP improved every yr ]

Do you seriously not to understand that kids will transfer when the coach they wanted to play for leaves and is replaced by a completely different style? One in which they don't fit?

Clemson Basketball isn't anything like Clemson Football. With basketball, we don't have history or top 25 facilities. The only reason some of these guys come to Clemson is because of the coach and the fact we are in the ACC.

Man up and quit blaming everyone else. Admit that we suck and work on ways to improve.

Re: Two Different Styles of Play

Mar 19, 2013, 1:30 PM

### are you talking about?

I know we suck right now. Who the hell doesnt know that.

You take most Clemson teams that have 90% Sophomore and Freshmen and they will suck. We dont recruit high caliber impact players that do great early in their careers.

null

uh 2 out of our 5 starters were seniors.***

Mar 19, 2013, 1:31 PM

Re: uh 2 out of our 5 starters were seniors.***

Mar 19, 2013, 1:36 PM

Wow really #### I didnt know that.

I am pretty sure we had some people coming off the bench putting in a large number of minutes.

null

Re: Two Different Styles of Play

Mar 19, 2013, 2:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Two Different Styles of Play ]

Does that hold true with the baseball team?

2 transfers happened after BB was coaching here of

Mar 19, 2013, 1:31 PM [ in reply to Re: OP improved every yr ]

kids he recruited himself. He also had 2 commits who decommitted once he was hired. They didn't like his style of play.

Re: 2 transfers happened after BB was coaching here of

Mar 19, 2013, 1:37 PM

Stanton was never a long term solution.

Sapp #### happens.

OP had transfers also.

### do you want him to do change the way he has done his job for his entire life?

You accuse me of being delusional.

null

You cant have it both ways

Mar 19, 2013, 1:38 PM [ in reply to Re: OP improved every yr ]

OP also brought Clemson back to being relevant in the ACC. Something only a select few coaches have done at Clemson. Hard to blame a guy who had one of the highest winning percentages ever at Clemson.

Purnell was simply a program builder. I think it is funny that you call him out for his work at Depaul when he has been there just as long as Brownell has been at Clemson. So if you claim you want more time for Brownell, why call out Purnell in his 3rd year at Depaul?

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You cant have it both ways

Mar 19, 2013, 1:40 PM

Please link to where I have called out him for Depaul....

null

Meant to post under coachmac's post. Sorry for the confusion***

Mar 19, 2013, 1:41 PM

2-16 & 11-21 --- only quality win Rutgers & Providence

Mar 19, 2013, 10:33 PM [ in reply to You cant have it both ways ]

Most of their wins Fairfield, Auburn, Austin Peay, Maryland-Baltimore County, Lewis?!

I'd say Brownell has done significantly better than Mr. Purnell...other than the Coastal Carolina loss, none are to laughing stock programs. Sure, we've been ugly, but at least competitive in most games.

Purnell was a success for Clemson

Mar 19, 2013, 1:22 PM [ in reply to The man who 'started the dumpster fire' is now at DePaul ]

Purnell was a success for Clemson. He recruited well (see NBA talent) and we made it to the NCAA tourney often.

I can't tell if you are trolling or having serious nerd rage or ...

David - Please compare basketball facilities in the ACC

Mar 19, 2013, 1:14 PM

I really appreciate your post and the addition by subtraction is disheartening but apparent.

As for a differentiator between our program and the rest of the ACC, I'd love to see a comparison of the basketball facilities. In my mind, Clemson's problem isn't our coach - it's our facilities.

Keep up the awesome work!

BB's problem isn't as much facilities

Mar 19, 2013, 1:16 PM

but his style of play. It's not a good combo to recruit at a place like Clemson. Come play at a football school and only score 7 pts a game.

Re: BB's problem isn't as much facilities

Mar 19, 2013, 1:21 PM

His recruiting is on the same level as Purnells.

90% of OPs recruits did not contribute a ton when they were Freshmen or Sophomores

null

lmao, you are delusional***

Mar 19, 2013, 1:33 PM

Re: lmao, you are delusional***

Mar 19, 2013, 1:35 PM

Nice retort.

Look at the Rankings Brownell has signed 2 4 Star guys. OP was recruiting around that same level.

How many of OPs players contributed a ton early in their careers?

null

ya and Sullivan turned out to be real steal lol.***

Mar 19, 2013, 1:40 PM

Re: ya and Sullivan turned out to be real steal lol.***

Mar 19, 2013, 1:41 PM

Trashing a kid that just finished up his second year. Classy.

Have a nice day kid.

Still waiting on your huge list of players under OP that came in contributing a ton as underclassmen.

null

If facilities are truly the problem (they may very well be)

Mar 19, 2013, 1:40 PM [ in reply to David - Please compare basketball facilities in the ACC ]

How did Purnell has so much success here? I think it is a combination of both coaching and facilities. I just don't buy the fact that he can't win here because of JUST facilities.

I'm not saying that's the ONLY reason

Mar 19, 2013, 1:52 PM

I'm isolating facilities, because I know first hand there is a huge difference between Clemson and some of the other schools. I'd like to see where we stack in the ACC (I haven't been to them all).

Additionally, let's say we did build top 25 facilities for our basketball program and CBB was still struggling. Would we not be in a much nicer position to hire a new coach?

No i do agree we need better facilities.

Mar 19, 2013, 2:04 PM

Obviously that will attract better coaches in the long run. I just find it odd that the facilities get thrown in these conversations so often. Like a poster said below, if the facilities are so bad here then why did he take the job? Why did Purnell have success and improvement here? I feel like if you recruit the right players for your system and play a style that will attract players it can work. Does our system attract players? I have no idea but I do know that the up and down pace and running the press was able to bring some adequate ACC caliber players in here and right now we lack a lot of ACC caliber players on this team.

we had just redone littlejohn when OP got there

Mar 19, 2013, 9:12 PM

8 years ago. He had good recruiting classes early. His last two were busts obviously. OP was successful by bringing a really good press with good athletes but not basketball players

I'm sure you remember a style of play like that will not get you very far in the tournament.

Not, unless you are like Louisville that runs a variation of the press but with true basketball players that are sick athletes as well.

Notice that Louisville has dumped a sick amount of money into their BB program over the last 5/6 y ears.

We have not and yes its not all about facilites, but we need to let his first recuriting class get to be seniors in 2 years before we pass final judgment

BB had the Tigers in position to win several of the games

Mar 24, 2013, 9:24 AM [ in reply to David - Please compare basketball facilities in the ACC ]

we lost this season. If only the team would have hit more free throws. That was the difference in many of the teams losses. The real solution (at least what we learned from this season) is the team must improve its free throw shooting.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Transfers are on BB

Mar 19, 2013, 1:21 PM

They were on the roster when he got here. If they left thats on him, not on OP. Heck BB brought his "Prized" recruit in stanton and he lasted all of one year. That one is on BB. The other transfers were OP recruits but they left after at least a season or partial season under BB.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Transfers are on BB

Mar 19, 2013, 1:23 PM

Stanton was brought in for one reason and one reason only OP had ONE PG on the roster. Stanton was not an ACC Caliber player and transferred because he knew his PT was going to decrease a ton.

Transfers happened due to the coaching change and those players not wanting to stick it out. Both were freaking busts anyway. that is all OPs prize class had in it.

Milton Bust
Booker Okay Player
Johnson cant do #### on a crappy Auburn team BUST
Hill never heard anything else about him BUST

null

Agreed.***

Mar 19, 2013, 1:26 PM

Not really. They couldn't hack being forced to play in a

Mar 19, 2013, 1:25 PM [ in reply to Transfers are on BB ]

structured, disciplined style. They quit. That's not on BB.

By the way, the transfers have amounted to nothing at other programs. They sucked our depth away and that's about it.

We need depth and experience, and Brownell would coach circles around Purnell.

Sometimes the coach has to change to the players he has

Mar 19, 2013, 1:29 PM

Roy changed his lineup bid stream and it proved to be the right move. Long run recruit what style you like to play. short run you have to change to fit what you have or you will fail.

And BB has stated he's not married to any particular style.

Mar 19, 2013, 1:34 PM

He implemented the style of play based on the talent and experience we had on hand.

I'm not exactly sure what your point is, but I think it's kind of silly to compare to UNC's stable of players to ours, especially right now, and expect BB to implement similar drastic changes.

quit being an a$$, stanton was not his "prized recruit"

Mar 19, 2013, 9:14 PM [ in reply to Transfers are on BB ]

coming in so late he had no other option but to bring in his player from Wichita.

Just win games

Mar 19, 2013, 1:31 PM

Obviously this is a controversial piece on a slow Tuesday. Job well done in getting the pot stirred. Brownell has to improve next year plain and simple. Like any other job, they are results oriented. If I have 3 bad years in a row and do not improve I Likly will get fired as well. He simply can not digress again next year. We all like him as a person and embassador to the university but like you said it is a win now culture and after 4 years if you can not show improvement he can only blame himself. Here is to hoping he turns it around next year. We all want the best for Clemson. Btw, I do not like the Dabo Swinney reference. The only reason he was allowed the chance to become head coach was the fact that Clemson nation made the administration pull the trigger on coach Bowden. There is nothing wrong with criticism it is apart of athletics and in everyday life.

Mar 19, 2013, 1:36 PM

Brownell is an excellent coach. He knows the game and he needs the players and shooters to get it done. A coaching change will put the program further back and Brownell can get it done. He constantly is working the players and coaching on and off the court. Step up IPTAY and give this guy the facilities he needs. We at Clemson claim to be tops in all our facilities and we dont even come close in basketball facilities - how can we expect him to recruit players when our facilities look like they do. His hands are tied - give Brownell the tools everyone else in the league has then lets talk about the job he is doing. Until then, he stays......Keep on pushing Coach B I support you and the team.

I agree we need some facilities upgrade but I still don't

Mar 19, 2013, 1:45 PM

buy the fact that is the reason why we are not doing well. Purnell was able to improve EVERY year he was here with the same facilities. I understand it is harder to recruit at Clemson but I think it could also be the type of players we are recruiting for the system we are running.

depth and experience...........

Mar 19, 2013, 1:49 PM

We had the least depth and the least experience in the entire ACC. The fact that we were on the doorstep of beating tournament teams speaks volumes to Brownell's ability to gameplan and keep the kids believing. Once we have more depth and experience, only then can we fairly judge. Personally, I think we'll see it more like Brownell's first year where he had tons of accomplishments and did something Purnell could never do in his career.

Lets be honest with ourselves....

Mar 19, 2013, 2:00 PM

Did we REALLY win a NCAA tounry game 3 years ago? Sure it was the new 68 team field or whatever they call it. I just feel as though that is more gamecock analogy by saying he won a tournament game. That is beside the point though.

I agree we lacked depth. It did not help losing blossomgame and coleman to injuries. That is evident. However, we have lost a few players now to transfers which may or may not have been for good reason (i dont know the whole story), however at the end of the day it is Brownell's responsibility to get this team to not only "contend" with tournament teams but to be a tournament team. At the end of the day he is going to have to recruit better or use another system. I am not one that is calling for him to fired, I feel as though any coach deserves at least four years to show improvement. After 3 years of digressing next year is a must to show improvement. Depth, or no depth, experience or no experience the time for him to improve is now. I think he has to put this team into the NIT next year or there will be another coach at Clemson.

Yes. We did. The simplest way to explain it is.........

Mar 19, 2013, 2:30 PM

At one time the field was 32 teams or whatever. Then it was expanded. Wins in the expanded field count exactly the same as wins in the smaller field.

Without rehashing and arguing all the same stuff that's been said ad nauseum, I would agree we need to at least make the NIT next year.

And there you go. Can't say it any better than that.***

Mar 19, 2013, 1:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Brownell deserves the chance to make Clemson basketball relevant ]

I hope that BB can kindly, tactfully, and in a motherly...

Mar 19, 2013, 2:55 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Brownell deserves the chance to make Clemson basketball relevant ]

...kind of way convince his players to correct poor skill habits.

BB told us that he was unable to convince Devin Booker to correct his poor FT shooting habit of bringing the ball behind his head for a FT.

Perhaps father Brad did not ask Booker to "please" give it a try his way!

Now that I am "all in" with David Hood on Brownell, I cannot say what I would have said about Bobby Knight's style of asking his players to correct bad basketball habits.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

If our facilities prevent us from even being competitive,

Mar 19, 2013, 1:53 PM

then Brownell should never have taken the job. I agree we need new facilities, but don't take the job and then blame 11th place on the facilities. We were competitive with the same facilities just four years ago. Not only are we 11th place, but we are a distant 11th place, much closer to 12th place. And when Syracuse, Pitt, Notre Dame and Louisville join, we will be 15th place.

How in the world did our administration buy that we were expanding for football when the schoos invited were Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville?

Re: If our facilities prevent us from even being competitive,

Mar 19, 2013, 2:14 PM

I you have ever been in the 'torture chamber' beneath Cameron Indoor Stadium you know that facilities ain't that important. That place was so old and creepy that I was afraid I would find a bathroom ... and that is what I was looking for at the time! I just wanted out of there.
We do need to improve LJ and I am sure that we will but in the meantime we better go find a few guys who can play basketball at a high level or will be sunk regardless of the coach. It only takes one guy to turn a team around. I haven't seen that guy at Clemson in a long time .. if ever. Skip Wise was pretty darn close and there has to be another one of those out there. Street ballers win games.

OK...Hood, I'll give your inside knowledge a chance...

Mar 19, 2013, 2:24 PM

...I'll shut my mouth and buy into the notion that Brownell is more than he appears to be.

However, if by the time his team hits the courts next year and he is having to call EVERY SINGLE OFFENSIVE set from the bench AND IS LOSING, then I will be off the BB bandwagon before mid-season.

I've never had high expectations for Clemson basketball, but Brownell has taken this to new lows that even I cannot stand to watch.

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

Whew! We can all feel better know. Someone with such an

Mar 19, 2013, 2:27 PM

incredible amount of exhibited basketball knowledge should be held in high regard. I'm sure David will sleep better tonight.

Brad Brownell is the GREATEST!!! I can hardly wait...

Mar 19, 2013, 2:36 PM

...for next year's Clemson basketball season to begin.

Can you all not see how David Hood's cartharsis has cleansed my soul?

I am "all in", and Brad Brownell is my favorite $1.2M/year NCAA Division I head basketball coach.

I feel so good. :)

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

Dang you would think Bloosingame and Coleman will be averagi

Mar 19, 2013, 2:46 PM

ng 20 points a game next year if you listen to all these people talk. These guys must be game changers and program changers. Let a new coach handle these guys. Brownell simply CAN'T RECRUIT and the difference between he and Dabo is that Dabo has always been able TO RECRUIT.

#185 in the RPI - not good enough

Mar 19, 2013, 3:07 PM

We need to be 125 next year, and then top 100 the following year with an NIT bid. If we miss any of these marks, then fire him (including after next year if we are not top 125). This is not asking for that much, let's be honest.

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_acc_Men.html

I have 2 problems...

Mar 19, 2013, 3:16 PM

Problem 1: The facilities argument. Everything could always be better. Should Clemson invest money for Basketball? Absolutely! I've had some of my best moments as a Clemson fan with the basketball team. However, what part of the facilities need to be upgraded? What "new and shiny" thing does Clemson need? I know that a new arena has been discussed amongst the message boards and talk radio, but I feel a new arena only continues to put Clemson in debt...that is unless Clemson starts winning. When Clemson was winning, a Top 25 team, hosting College Gameday, one of EA Sports Toughest Places to Play, making the NCAA tournament 4 straight years, Littlejohn was a pretty awesome place. I guess it's gotten too old since 2009. Back when former head football coach Tommy Bowden really got the conversation started about facilities, the first capital project that went through was renovating Littlejohn. I suppose they should have just torn it down and started over. Whatever happens facility-wise, I only ask that Clemson puts the students back on the floor and behind then benches. The endzone seating for the students is unacceptable.

Problem 2: What Purnell did. When Purnell left, it was a jerk move. I mean, it was just a stab through the heart, and it's pretty obvious fans are still pretty raw about it. However, to put any blame on him for the current state of the program, I think is completely unjustified. If were not for his success, we may not be having this conversation. Purnell took over a basement dweller program and took it to heights of relevancy, excitement, and popularity that may have surpassed football in some aspects. He had the same facilities coach Brownell has, and recruited very well. Top 100 players. His brand of basketball, unique to this conference, made Clemson a winner. Purnell gets criticized for not winning a NCAA tournament game. Fair enough, but coach Rick Barnes didn't win a game in 2 of his 3 appearances, but his success in one year relieves him of the similar criticism of Purnell? I don't think it should. Purnell gets blamed for what he left behind. Why? He left an established winner. When coach Brownell came to Clemson, he had 2 seniors, 4 juniors, and 4 sophomores. 10 players. A foundation. Winners. Yet the decline is Purnell's fault? It's Purnell's fault Brownell's only Top 100 player can't play because he can't breath? I don't buy that Purnell should shoulder blame for the decline in the Basketball program.

I do not want Brownell fired. No one could foresee the transfers and injuries. His philosophy is a complete 180 to Purnell's, and it's obvious that big of change has halted the progress of Clemson basketball. I think Brownell is a better basketball coach than Purnell. I think he's even better than Barnes. It's clear Brownell knows the game, and how to coach it. Want to upgrade facilities? Let's do it, but just be willing accept this level of play until the facilities are finished and or coach Brownell can use them. However, I fear that if there isn't a sign of improvement after next season, Clemson may be searching for a new basketball coach. I sincerely hope that doesn't happen.

OP recruited 3 top 100 players in his tenure: Milt, Book

Mar 19, 2013, 10:05 PM

and Noel Johnson, his last recruiting class. None of them were program foundations. KC Rivers would have been except for an injury his senior year of HS. His best players, Trevor, Stitt, Hammonds, James Mays were 3 star recruits.

The heights you speak of were 3 first round NCAA losses. Bill Foster took us to the elite 8, Ellis and Barnes to the sweet 16. OP did a good job but the way he left, with a 1 person recruiting class(Marcus Thornton who transferred to Georgia and has done nothing) and his last full class which was highly overrated left us with 2 consecutive years with poor classes. That has direct effect on where we are now. He bears the blame for this. You could objectively say he missed on 4 of his last 5 recruits, with Booker the exception.

Brownell needs to produce in the net 2 years. But except for the first team he coached with Stitt and Grant, he's had role players OP recruited and his freshmen and sophomores. I loved what Andre Young and Tanner Smith brough to the table, but like Book and Milt, they are 3-4-5th options on good teams, not leading men. Clemson rarely has had freshmen or sophomores as leading men, and that's what Brownell had to work with. Brownell deserves 4 recruiting classes.

As for facilities, mush like football, we fell behind quick. Other than UGA, in our recruiting area, we have the worst facilities. The renovations 10 years ago were patchwork. As we've seen with football, facilities mean a lot. A new coach won't change that

You forgot something very important (Kornblut)

Mar 19, 2013, 4:24 PM

Fat Phil cost us Murphy Holloway.

Clemson doesn't care about basketball....as evidenced by Brown-L getting 14 years.

Mar 19, 2013, 4:25 PM

give brad three more years. this program cannot be turned around in one year.

Mar 19, 2013, 4:28 PM

I think the #1 problem this year was leadership. Milt should have been kicked off the team. Book is a good player but not a leader.

I am sure BB can turn this around once Loui,ND,Pitt and Syr

Mar 19, 2013, 5:09 PM

gets here right???

Mar 19, 2013, 4:35 PM

Agreed

Mar 19, 2013, 5:13 PM

I think Hood's article represents the state of the program pretty well except he seems to have a much higher regard for TJ Sapp as a shooter than I do. . I have been a Clemson fan for over 50 years. In that time I've seen the basketball Tigers in exactly 2 ACC championship games and we've won the regular season championship once in a different season. the history of Clemson basketball since the mid 70's is one of some level of success followed by a few bad years and then the cycle repeats. During that time only Shyatt was an obvious failure and he got 5 years. I'm not necessarily saying Brownell should get 5 years but his task next year will be more difficult. The ACC was a relatively young conference this year and with the addition of the three Big East schools next year, I think the conference will once again be recognized as the best in the country. After losing Rick Ray and not being able to hold onto James Johnson, he has no stud recruiter and I think its something I think he will need to address. At some schools he competes against, BB is the number 1 sport. At Clemson, there is some question whether its even the number 2 sport. Given all of this, realistic expectations for Clemson BB normally should be an overall winning record, somewhere near .500 in the conference,and an invitation to the NCAAs about every third year. Hopefully, well have the occasional run of consecutive good seasons, but after watching for 50+ years, I think this what is realistic long-term. If Brownell can get back to .500 or better next year, he deserves another season. I was impressed how hard his players play throughout. If not, I think its realistic to suggest a change.

Mar 19, 2013, 7:27 PM

Well said. Next year's schedule will be much tougher, so if he can get us above .500 (about 16 wins) then I'm happy the progression I'm seeing.

http://ryankantor.com/2013/03/18/should-he-stay-or-should-he-go-clemson-basketball-coach-brad-brownell/

Mar 19, 2013, 6:12 PM

This is what our Admin paid for when they brought him in to Clemson. He was not the guy from the get go in my opinion. Every year that a players from OP's recruiting graduated or left the team has gotten worse. He has potential with the recruits he has no idea what to do with them barring injuries. He should not get any type of extention unless he wins 20 games next year at a min. He will have all of his recruits with no excuses. No talk about the addition of the new programs into the conference either. It is put up or get out time in my book.

Mar 19, 2013, 8:33 PM

We just did a debate about this topic for one of our blogs. check it out, we would love your input

http://ryankantor.com/2013/03/18/should-he-stay-or-should-he-go-clemson-basketball-coach-brad-brownell/

Mar 19, 2013, 9:18 PM

The man can coach! He does not get to take the shots. To be able to compete with some of his best players out and guards not making free throws has to offer optimism for our chances with a full team he recruited.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 19, 2013, 9:48 PM

Near misses don't count in the win column. We all know that Clemson is a "Show Me Now Or Be GOne School" and that does not matter who you are as a coach. We had 20 plus win season on a regular until the admin chose to turn its back on a coach that had no choice but to leave with a F-U attached.

The request for better improvements denied to Little John although the place was packed and rocking. Now to have 4 close your eyes and click your heels that you wish you were back in Kansas sucks!!

The identity/brand of basketball under BB is....what do we do again? Oh score and guard right it must have slipped my mind clueless. Some of the talent that is present on the time can and could be coached up to be players that could compete but under the watch of BB it will not happen.

Re: OP improved every yr

Mar 20, 2013, 8:36 AM

You clearly don't know much about the game if you think purnell was a good coach. He was by far the worst in game coach in the acc hence us not being able to get over the hump. We would have won many more games if we didn't preas the whole game against unc and duke. You just cannot press teams like that the whole game. What people don't don't realize is that brownell has to play this style of basketball because of the personel he has to work with. You have to adjust coaching style to accommodate your players. Thats simple coaching.

Mar 20, 2013, 10:41 AM

I agree it hasn't been long enough but am having problems reconciling if I would play in this system over others. I just don't think so.

Brad Brownell

Mar 20, 2013, 10:46 AM

the old saying goes, if you're not moving forward, then you're moving backward.
And after 4 years of making the NCAA tourn under Purnell, that just doesn't seem to be happening now.
No one wants to be the bad guy.Brownell seems like a good guy too, right?
But I will say this, he should have his most talented team in 2013/14. So for me, 1 more year. And the jury is out.

Mar 20, 2013, 12:25 PM

Reaching for a story as normal.

Re: Front Page Story: Brownell deserves the chance to make Clemson basketball relevant***

Mar 20, 2013, 1:22 PM

Break ground......

Mar 20, 2013, 1:24 PM

Even if you have to bring in a dump truck full of dirt.......

Worked for TB to start pulling players

Spot on. 100% accurate.***

Mar 20, 2013, 1:48 PM

Brownell deserves the chance to make Clemson basketball relevant

Mar 20, 2013, 9:21 PM

I think Brownell can do it from a technical standpoint. He needs recruits, and he really needs to find some nuggets of there. The ACC, with its new members, will be even more competitive, but will also be even more attractive league to play in. Hopefully we can recruit a broader area and get better athletes.

David, one of your best articles. Agree with you 100%.***

Mar 20, 2013, 10:22 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 89
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic