Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Brad Brownell
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

Brad Brownell

Mar 18, 2013, 4:16 PM

Anyone who is calling for Coach Brownell's job is just not paying attention or doesn't know anything about basketball.
He has been here for two full recruiting cycles, and look at the players he has added. KJ McDaniels took off this year and will be better next year. Devin Coleman will be a big plus next year when he is back. Rod Hall got better and Sullivan will next year with more playing time.
This year's freshman class was solid, mostly Roper, who is going to be a stud when he gets a little bigger and stronger and more experience.
And the players we're adding, Blossomgame, Rooks and Ajukwa, will contribute what we didn't have this year: scoring and shooting.
This year's team had zero senior leadership. Booker played well and hard but he's not a born leader, and This Being Milt offered nothing in that department and not much else in his play.
Purnell had a good run but he shut down on the program, both in recruiting (we won't have any seniors next year for a reason) and academically. And the program is paying the price for that now. Brownell deserves patience and anyone who is calling for his job is way off base.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Brad Brownell

Mar 18, 2013, 4:28 PM

Yep he will do a little better next year and I look to see a big jump when that Sophmore group are Seniors.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

What if you are on the fence about him

Mar 18, 2013, 4:33 PM

and seriously concerned about the direction that things seem to be headed?

why did we play jennings so much? or at all really?***

Mar 18, 2013, 4:42 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FAT TAX NOW!

Because he was one of our best players?***

Mar 18, 2013, 4:43 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

wow. now that's funny.***

Mar 18, 2013, 4:44 PM

FAT TAX NOW!

Ever check a boxscore?***

Mar 18, 2013, 4:54 PM

ever watch him play?***

Mar 18, 2013, 7:24 PM

FAT TAX NOW!

I attended about 85% of the home games...How many you seen

Mar 18, 2013, 8:13 PM

him play in person?

in person, only a handful. but i've watched every one that i

Mar 19, 2013, 10:35 AM

could on TV. and he sucks. he might be second or third in scoring, assists, rebounds, etc., but that is more of a commentary on the state of our program than anything else. he would not sniff the court at most ACC schools and that's a fact.

FAT TAX NOW!

Booker and Jennings=No. 1 and 3 scorers, top 2 rebounders

Mar 18, 2013, 4:56 PM [ in reply to wow. now that's funny.*** ]

Also numbers 2 and 3 in blocks (all ranking respective). Jennings was 2nd on team in steals and 3rd in 3pt% at 32%. On the downside, they were also Nos. 2 and 3 in turnovers and 1 & 2 in fouls (Jennings led team by wide margin with 91). Say what you will about their performance/effort, but they did contribute a lot to the team.

http://www.clemsontigers.com/ViewContent.dbml?SPSID=657841&SPID=103715&CONTENT_ID=255156&DB_OEM_ID=28500#TEAM.IND

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word: Victory. Victory at all costs—Victory in spite of all terror—Victory, however long and hard the road may be..." - Winston Churchill

Would we have had a much worse season without him

Mar 18, 2013, 5:14 PM [ in reply to Because he was one of our best players?*** ]

in the lineup? This team was going nowhere this year. What was the point of him eating minutes when others could have been gaining experience? Did we really accomplish anything by finishing 11th in the ACC instead of 12th?

Brad needed bodies this yr....two players out for the season

Mar 18, 2013, 5:16 PM

with injury...KJ was out for an extended period of time...we only had 7-8 players who contributed.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I do understand that, however

Mar 18, 2013, 5:39 PM

I don't see why milt got 30 mins per game. If you need a body that's one thing, but 30 mins per game is starter time. Once it was obvious this team was non-competitive I think it would have been smart for him to work Sullivan in more. He's going to be around 2 more years, at least give him a chance to learn on the court instead of sit on the bench and watch us lose games.

I think Brad's a good coach, but he desperately need to recruit a shooter (#251 from behind the arc) and certainly need anyone who can shoot from anywhere (#221 in FG percentage) You can play all the aggressive man defense in the world but if you can't put the ball in the basket you aren't going to win a lot of games.

There are a lot of small schools who manage to recruit kids who can shoot. They just aren't prototypical power conference athletes, but these schools compete and win games against quality teams from time to time. We did neither this year.

completely agree. and my point exactly.***

Mar 18, 2013, 7:25 PM

FAT TAX NOW!

and i'm not saying that decision is a reason to can brad.

Mar 18, 2013, 4:44 PM [ in reply to why did we play jennings so much? or at all really?*** ]

just wondering why he made what seems to be such an obvious decision. milt should have been on the far end of the bench at all times.

FAT TAX NOW!

The OBVIOUS decision is to play him...Unless you prefer

Mar 18, 2013, 4:57 PM

sitting our second best shooter and passer...

I'm not going to come out here and pick on Milt but

Mar 18, 2013, 5:40 PM

He had zero passing skills. None. Nada. A very high percentage of his passes resulted in turnovers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Second on the team in dimes...***

Mar 18, 2013, 7:13 PM

Again, show me the results

Mar 18, 2013, 5:42 PM [ in reply to The OBVIOUS decision is to play him...Unless you prefer ]

We finished 11th in the ACC. Being the 2nd best player on a bad team isn't justification for starter minutes. There was a point in this season where there was nothing left to play for. At that point, milt should have been phased out. All he did was help us finish 1 game out of last place and we have a player in sullivan who could have perhaps polished his game up some for next season sitting on the bench watching us play bad basketball.

Yeah, why did he play our second best player so much?***

Mar 18, 2013, 5:03 PM [ in reply to why did we play jennings so much? or at all really?*** ]

just ridiculous...he should have gone into the stands

Mar 18, 2013, 5:10 PM

and picked that short fat white guy who sat next to me every game...spilled a coke at 4 games...and didn't know the difference between a zone defense and alternating possessions.....what a clown playing Milton.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My Aunt seemed to think that...***

Mar 18, 2013, 5:26 PM

I can't wait for August when we can quit talking about this

Mar 18, 2013, 5:05 PM

over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over

^^^^^^What he said^^^^

Mar 18, 2013, 5:18 PM

nm

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Savior. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

AMEN !!!!!***

Mar 18, 2013, 5:25 PM [ in reply to I can't wait for August when we can quit talking about this ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Why August?? Spring game

Mar 18, 2013, 9:31 PM [ in reply to I can't wait for August when we can quit talking about this ]

is April 13 and that is what I am looking forward to!!! 26 more days!!!!!!!!

Re: I can't wait for August when we can quit talking about

Mar 19, 2013, 9:49 PM [ in reply to I can't wait for August when we can quit talking about this ]

dance Moms, Toddlers and Tiaras, Storage Wars, Auction Hunters,
American Pick ur Nose, Fast n Loud......

Real America like Real ACC Basketball.

Anyone hear Roy whining about the ACC?????

Sheesh.

Re: I can't wait for August when we can quit talking about

Mar 19, 2013, 9:51 PM [ in reply to I can't wait for August when we can quit talking about this ]

dance Moms, Toddlers and Tiaras, Storage Wars, Auction Hunters,
American Pick ur Nose, Fast n Loud......

Real America like Real ACC Basketball.

Anyone hear Roy whining about the ACC?????

Sheesh.

I agree that we shouldnt fire him, but for different reasons

Mar 18, 2013, 5:22 PM

If you're going to praise him, at least pick something he's done well at - recruiting players is not one of those things.

However, he can definitely develop players:

- Jerai Grant went from a rebounder/dunker who couldn't shoot outside of 8 feet to an undersized monster in the post. By the NCAA tournament, he had a full arsenal of post-moves and could sink beautiful jumpers out to 17 feet and be the primary scoring option on the team.

- Bobo spent 3 years under coach Purnell without playing a wink because his basketball skills weren't up to par. By the 2nd half of his first season under Brownell, Bobo was a legitimate scoring option, altered/blocked shots, and played significant (and productive) minutes in big games.

- KJ McDaniels went from an athletic freak and nothing else (as a freshman last year, McDaniels couldn't play defense, couldn't shoot, and couldn't handle the ball). In one short year, he developed a serviceable 3-point shot, instinctive defensive abilities, and the ability to beat someone off the dribble.

Watch how much the players he has already brought in improve from year-to-year. I really believe that by the time the current Sophomore class (Coleman, Hall, Mcdaniels, and company) are Seniors, this will be a NCAA tournament team.

some players made very little progress over that same time:

Mar 18, 2013, 7:56 PM

booker and jennings. for booker, i just don't think he gave 100% game in and game out. he could clearly elevate his game when he wanted to. but he was inconsistent in his desire. for jennings, i just don't think he had any potential. not sure how he was a mcdonald's all-american.

i would not fire brownell this year. but he would have to show me something next year. another year of regression and i'd pull the plug.

FAT TAX NOW!

Mar 18, 2013, 6:12 PM

OMG, I'm so sick of the Brownell supports using the "if you want Brownell gone, you don't know basketball" BS line. I've been following college basketball for 25 years...he's mediocre. He hasn't done anything anywhere to point to the fact that he is anything more than this.

At UNC Wilmington he inherited a winning team, and at Wright State his best year was with another coach's players (same at Clemson). At Wright State he inherited a team with 2 seniors and 1 junior. So his entire tenure there relied on another coach's recruits. He has not been anywhere long enough to bring in his own players and develop them through their entire stay at a school.

I'm not a huge Purnell fan, but he realized that we weren't going to get the best players at Clemson so we needed to rely on athleticism and a style that was not common in the conference. For the most part it was successful. I think he took the program as far as he could and wasn't really sad to see him go. Unless Brownell really proves himself in recruiting and steps it up we won't crack the top half of the conference for a long time.

As far as next year, it's not going to get any better with the addition of Syracuse, Pittsburgh, and Notre Dame. Then we get to look forward to Louisville in 2014.

Mar 18, 2013, 6:30 PM

You missed on some things:

Devin Coleman will be a big plus next year when he is back. Rod Hall got better and Sullivan will next year with more playing time.

Coleman, was coming on, but no guarantee he is ready to play for a full year. He doesn't even have 60 career points. Rod hall did not improve. He still cannot throw a good pass into the block to a big man. He also misses a lot of layups. Bernard Sullivan has yet to average 10 minutes per game. He is competing again Milt, who you claim to be a poor player, so that speaks volumes.

This year's freshman class was solid, mostly Roper, who is going to be a stud when he gets a little bigger and stronger and more experience.
I notice you fail to mention Nnoko and Smith, our two lone prototypical big men.

And the players we're adding, Blossomgame, Rooks and Ajukwa, will contribute what we didn't have this year: scoring and shooting.

Notice, no big men in this class?

This Being Milt offered nothing in that department and not much else in his play.
Milt isn't a great player, but was 3rd in scoring (2nd in ACC play), 2nd in rebounds, first in charges taken, 2nd in assists per game, etc. He did a lot of everything for us. You can't simply write him off.

Purnell had a good run but he shut down on the program, both in recruiting (we won't have any seniors next year for a reason) and academically.
We also had 2 openings in his last class. He filled one, which Brownell couldn't hold onto. There were plans for second in the late signing period; we will never know though.

Brownell deserves patience and anyone who is calling for his job is way off base.

Some patience perhaps, but they are not off base. Purnell had us in the Top 25 at points for 4 consecutive seasons. Brownell has never had us ranked. We were 0-8 against teams that made the NCAA Tourney and lost 7 straight games (OP's longest ACC streak was 5). We have regressed over these last 3 years. We also all know SC has weak college basketball. In Purnell's last 3 years he was 13-0 against the state. Browenll is 10-5 in his first 3. That is pathetic considering there is one major school and he is 1-2 against them.

I am not advocating firing anyone, but honest question:

Mar 18, 2013, 11:34 PM

Which basketball program was in worse shape when the coach took it over:

1. Men's basketball by Coach Brad Brownell

2. Women's basketball by Coach Itoro Coleman

I don't follow the women's program very closely, so I don't have a real feel. Just wondering the differences as to why Coach Coleman gets canned and Coach Brownell doesn't.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The young man just needs what Roy Williams Or Coach K has...

Mar 18, 2013, 11:41 PM

some #### good players...But, doesn't everyone!

Wish there was a Larry Nance, or Tree Rollins, or other gifted players that wanted to wear the Orange..and win for Clemson.

GoTiGERs!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 19, 2013, 6:45 PM

You are wasting your time and breath. Most want an insta acc title or fire who ever is the coach. I think that Brownell is a good coach. And with some time he will be good for Clemson and her fans....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think you hit the nail on the head about the leadership

Mar 19, 2013, 6:53 PM

I think that more than anything absolutely killed us this year. With all the young guys we had on this team we desperately needed our senior guys to mentor them and lead the way. We got nothing from them and it showed. I think it was also a big reason why we collapsed down the stretch and never rebounded. You also hope someone will step up and be a vocal leader for the team, but every now again it just doesn't materialize. It's a shame we couldn't find someone like that this year, but now we move on. Hopefully things will start moving in a more positive direction from here on out.

Ditto to your comments Vegas - McDaniels has some game

Mar 19, 2013, 9:54 PM

Hopefully McDaniels or Roper or Filer will bring some leadership to the 2013-14 team, and we can steal some ACC wins. Sometimes you can win with average talent ... much more difficult to win without on-court leadership.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic