Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Hood: ACC/Irish agreement is great....for Notre Dame
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 61
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Hood: ACC/Irish agreement is great....for Notre Dame

Mar 13, 2013, 11:45 AM

Hood: ACC/Irish agreement is great....for Notre Dame

The ACC announced Tuesday that Notre Dame would join the conference this summer, but the arrangement helps the Irish more than it does the ACC. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Basically the ACC decided it was worth the detriment

Mar 13, 2013, 11:48 AM

of having a half ND membership to the potential gain of ND joining as a full member in the future.

We'll see how it plays out. I, for one, don't see ND ever joining. However, I'm not in the know with the ACC higher ups.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

exactly what the big east did as well***

Mar 13, 2013, 12:53 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Didn't say it was a smart risk assessment

Mar 13, 2013, 1:06 PM

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

right there with you....it's amazing how much we bent over

Mar 13, 2013, 1:09 PM

and took one here...we were dealing from a position of strength...they had to move their non football sports with the Big East falling apart. They weren't going to move them to the Catholic 7....they weren't going to get a deal with the B1G...they weren't going to go to the conference with UConn and Cincy...essentially Conf USA remade....they didn't want to move to the Big12....they really had no options but still got this deal with John and the ACC. That's amazing.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: right there with you....it's amazing how much we bent over

Mar 13, 2013, 1:59 PM

They would have gone to the Big 12 if the deal was not done with the ACC. They didn't want to but were willing to to remain independent. The ACC lost all power when the Big 12 agreed to a partial membership.

null

and how would that have hurt the ACC???

Mar 13, 2013, 2:00 PM

I don't see where they bring value to Clemson.

Re: and how would that have hurt the ACC???

Mar 13, 2013, 2:54 PM

1. TV revenue ND has a national audiance and even 2-3 games + basketball increases the TV dollars.

2. ACC Network along with the national following ND also has a olympic sports following which makes the ACC network worth more money because it would show all sports.

3. Bowl resume. ND makes the bowl line up more attractive to larger bowl games. By adding a chick-fil-a equivalent bowl the ACC stands to make 5-10 million more from the bowl system.

4. Basketball revenue. Yes it is a smaller figure than football but basketball does bring in revenue. If the new ACC had 2-3 teams in the final 4 each year it would bring in upwards of 30 million per year. ND does have a quality basketball program.

All of that combined having ND in the conference could provide Clemson with 2-3 million per year.

null

Don't agree with this article at all...

Mar 13, 2013, 3:10 PM

In my opinion, it's the complete opposite. The ACC is the bigger winner here, not Notre Dame.

OK, so Notre Dame isn't joining for football... So what? As part of their membership, they have to play 5 ACC teams a year, which means that once every 3 years, every ACC team will get to play ND on national television. Oh, and guess what? They're not touching our football money. Not one cent.

Lose to Notre Dame? Doesn't effect your chances of winning the conference.

Beat Notre Dame? Everyone notices, no matter how bad they may be.

It's amazing the folks on here who re-live the two game home-and-home we had with Notre Dame in the 70s seemingly all the time, yet Swofford just arranged so we get to play them every 3 years at NO COST to us... And this is a bad move? How so, exactly?

On to basketball... This may blow your mind, but ND is in the Top 10 in NCAA tourney appearances. They're bigger in basketball than you think and this deal now exposes Clemson basketball to the heartland. But they'll get paid, you say. Yes, they'll get exactly 1/15th of 20% of our TV contract. On the dollar, that equates to 1.3 cents for every dollar we're getting from TV. Not bad.

I don't know if it's arrogance, stupidity, or just Clemson fans acting as if the world doesn't expand beyond the upstate... But Notre Dame is Notre Dame. They're arguably the biggest brand name in all of college football, maybe all of American sports. It is huge exposure for Clemson and the rest of the ACC schools, and Swofford made it happen for absolutely free.

Let's dumb this down and stop over-thinking this thing: Every 3rd year we play the biggest name in college football... FOR FREE. Oh, and did I mention that if we lose, it doesn't matter? Because it doesn't.

At a time when the ACC is fragile, this was an awesome move by Swofford. If ND ever does plan to join, it'll be with the ACC. In the meantime, I'll just enjoy watching them come into the Valley and going to visit TD Jesus. The rest of you can sit on your couches and cry about it.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Don't agree with this article at all...

Mar 13, 2013, 8:13 PM

Ok then, all acc FB schools should have the choice of going independant in FB only. The acc would never even listen to no such #### as that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How would it help these schools to go independent?

Mar 13, 2013, 10:17 PM

None have their own TV deal.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 13, 2013, 8:15 PM [ in reply to Re: right there with you....it's amazing how much we bent over ]

Just say h&ll no and let them go any where they could go.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 13, 2013, 2:39 PM [ in reply to right there with you....it's amazing how much we bent over ]

That's not amazing. That's the only way the Lucky Charm will work. And that little Green Man shoved it right down Swofford's throat. What a freaking Idiot Notre Dame has made Swofford out to be. To think he rules everything in the ACC except ND. What a joke!!!

Re: Front Page Story: Hood: ACC/Irish agreement is great....for Notre Dame

Mar 13, 2013, 11:51 AM

I'd say you pretty well nailed it. They got what they wanted, and we got not very much at all, really.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amen David! People need to open their eyes.

Mar 13, 2013, 11:55 AM

The ACC just bent over and took it in the poop shute like they always do.

I sure hope ND doesnt get a cut of our bowl money***

Mar 13, 2013, 11:56 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I sure hope ND doesnt get a cut of our bowl money***

Mar 13, 2013, 12:03 PM

One of the many reasons as to the Number 1 rule in college football...Always pull against ND no matter who they play!

Re: I sure hope ND doesnt get a cut of our bowl money***

Mar 13, 2013, 12:32 PM [ in reply to I sure hope ND doesnt get a cut of our bowl money*** ]

if swoffie can arrange for them to get a cut they sure will while they CONTRIBUTE NOTHING!! SWOFFIE MUST GO NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They get a cut...here is why

Mar 13, 2013, 12:46 PM [ in reply to I sure hope ND doesnt get a cut of our bowl money*** ]

The ACC will sell ACC football teams to the bowls. The ACC will try to make a deal with the best bowls.

When the ACC sell the first "non-BCS" pick to a bowl. They will certainly highlight Clemson, FSU, Notre Dame, Miami, and L-ville.

Having Notre Dame in the line-up helps make a deal with the better bowls.

If ND helps improve our stinking-pile-of-manure bowl lineup,

Mar 13, 2013, 1:14 PM [ in reply to I sure hope ND doesnt get a cut of our bowl money*** ]

i.e. if having them as part of our negotiations helps improve our chances at better bowls, then I'm all for them getting a cut of the resulting revenue. I can't say I'm a huge fan of them potentially bumping an ACC team out of a bowl, but with them on board it may mean that instead of being bumped from Atlanta to El Paso, a team may get bumped from Atlanta to (just to pick a random city) Tampa. Having ND in the equation will help the ACC to land some better bowls, and in that way it's good. I would still strongly prefer they be full members but at this point it's looking for the silver lining.

how are they going to help us if many of the bowls have

Mar 13, 2013, 1:52 PM

long term partnerships lined up with the B1G, SEC, and Big12? Many of the New Years Day bowls are B1G and SEC match ups....Tampa, Orlando, Jax. Some of the others are SEC Big12 match ups like the Cotton Bowl. The champions bowl is a replacement of the Sugar Bowl and matches up SEC Big12. I see this helping ND with giving them access to a bowl game outside of the BCS but not really helping the other ACC members.

Re: If ND helps improve our stinking-pile-of-manure bowl lineup,

Mar 13, 2013, 8:09 PM [ in reply to If ND helps improve our stinking-pile-of-manure bowl lineup, ]

If they put nothing in the FB money pot. They should get absolutely nothing out. And I don't care about what their name helps to sell. I don't care if their name helps make 50 mil in FB, if they don't play FB in the acc, they get no pay from acc FB PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!

What are the money sharing agreements?

Mar 13, 2013, 12:08 PM

If football is 80% of the ACC revenue then they should be counted as a 20% member and only receive 20% of the revenue everyone else receives. If that is the case, then I don't think the ACC is getting as screwed as it sounds in your analogy.

I also wonder how much thought was put into the fact that the NBC contract is due for renewal in the next year or two. Had ND continued their poor performance on the field the as they have done the last decade, then NBC might not have put up the big bucks and the ACC would be right there to reel them in. Unfortunately they managed an undefeated season and "played" for a MNC so their value may have gone up...

Notre Dame gets non of the ACC's football TV money.***

Mar 13, 2013, 12:47 PM

Mar 13, 2013, 12:09 PM

I think that besides FSU and Clemson the rest of the conference needs NotreDame so that they can have 5 full stadiums every 2 years. NotreDame also ups the value of non football sports. I think the new media contracts will reflect that. Currently the ACC has 2 decent bowl, Orange and ChikFilA ... I exp[ect adding Notre Dame to the non BCS bowls will change that to 3.
Unless Clemson, FSU or Va Tech is in the bowl we do not sell tickets except for north carolina teams in the belk bowl.

Minor point, VT fills up their stadium better than FSU***

Mar 13, 2013, 1:09 PM

Dagdum it!!! It's not just the money - they get to bump

Mar 13, 2013, 12:24 PM

other ACC teams from the tier of non-BCS bowls if they have an equal record. Am I right? That means they could take the CFA bowl from us or FSU if both teams wre 10-2 and didn't get a BCS game. We will be saying more than "Dagdum" when that happens (even if we don't know what that means).

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If that happens some admins in the ACC (and admins at

Mar 13, 2013, 12:27 PM

Clemson) will have to hide for several months to escape Tiger Nation's Anger and Outrage. Tiger Nation would IMHO demand to get the heck out of the ACC at that point or something dramatic to demand justice for such an act.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If that happens some admins in the ACC (and admins at

Mar 13, 2013, 12:36 PM

But that IS part of the deal, isn't it?

If our current bowl line up stays the same...

Mar 13, 2013, 12:40 PM [ in reply to Dagdum it!!! It's not just the money - they get to bump ]

..then you are correct.

That said, word is bowl contracts are very much in flux w/ BE dissolving, other leagues changing, etc. ND will NOT take the ACC championship series/final 4/whatever nor the orange bowl slot (they have to earn that as an independent per reports).

As for the bowls after the orange...yes, they are in line, but due to ND the ACC is reportedly negotiating new contracts. If we add 2 new good bowls for the ACC (i.e. NYD type), then even if ND gets one it's a net win for ACC. I also don't think ND will routinely be better than the top 3-4 in ACC anyway.

IF, and I have no reason to think Swofford will get this done, but IF the ACC office capitalizes for having ND in our bowl line up (for lower)...then we will benefit.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Re: If our current bowl line up stays the same...

Mar 13, 2013, 12:47 PM

But I still don't like the possibility that we end up with the same record as they do, and end up having them take the bowl we should be getting as an ACC team when they are not a full ACC team. Why should we get pushed down a notch in the bowls by a team that doesn't play for the ACC title? We just have to win the ACC championship game every year to avoid this - simple solution.

Message was edited by: clover65®

But even IF ND pushed us "down"...

Mar 13, 2013, 3:56 PM

..if we get 1 or 2 new tie ins due to ND being in the league for selection, then at worst it's a push, likely even helps regardless.

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Exactly

Mar 13, 2013, 12:51 PM [ in reply to If our current bowl line up stays the same... ]

Once again, big IF...but IF Swofford actually does some good and gets us new bowls by advertising Notre Dame as a possibility, then I have no problem with the bowl deal for ND. They already were a threat to steal spots from ACC teams for a few years I know when we had the Gator Bowl, and also maybe the one in Orlando for a little bit.

I mean right now if I was in charge of a bowl, I wouldn't want anything to do with being the 3rd, and absolutely no the 4th option for the ACC. Too much of a risk you get a team that fights to put 50,000 in a stadium for a big time opponent. Now with the possibility of getting ND one out of 3-4 years...I will listen.

AGAIN HUGE IF we actually can get a decent bowl behind the Chick-Fil-A Bowl

Re: Exactly

Mar 13, 2013, 3:54 PM

Bowls are not about putting butts in seats anymore, which actually is good for the ACC w/ the smaller alumni base many of our members have.

3rd or 4th in ACC will be Clemson, FSU, ND, MIami, VT, UNC....even 4th will generally be a top 20-25 team.

here's the thing...the Big East didn't control any bowls

Mar 13, 2013, 12:55 PM [ in reply to If our current bowl line up stays the same... ]

that were desirable that you'd really want their spot...the desirable locations are tied to the SEC, Big12, and B1G...those aren't going away.

Big12 is exposed...and there will be newer

Mar 13, 2013, 3:55 PM

NYD bowls popping up, just watch.

Too much $ not to be.

Worst Case (or maybe just a bad situation)

Mar 13, 2013, 12:41 PM

GT and UVA to B1G.
NCST and VA Tech to SEC.

ACC North Division:
Notre Dame, L-ville, Pitt, BC, Syracuse, Navy (football only)

ACC South Division:
Miami, FSU, CU, UNC, Duke, Wake

Everyone plays 5 divisional games and 1 cross divisional game. The teams with the best record go to ACC-CG.

"Okay, I will watch your cats, only because I am Erectile Dysfunctional because of what the B1G and SEC just did to me."

There will be other cross divisional games that don't affect the divisional standings.

Notre Dame only plays 6 conference games.

CU, FSU, and L-ville will play 8 conference games (plus 1 game vs an in-state rival that draws big TV viewership).

Everyone else will play 9 conference games.

All cross divisional games that don't affect divisional standings will be scheduled for September.

Mar 13, 2013, 12:43 PM

Dang David, you killed it!!

What if this high school crush was Sharon effing Stone?

Sep 16, 2020, 5:08 PM

and could you change that Gerry Faust reference to Ara Parseghian? thanks
Go Tigers. Looking foward to playing and beating ND in everything.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Dude abides

ND is more like Brigitte Neilsen ***

Mar 13, 2013, 1:14 PM

Does that mean the ACC is like Flava Flav?***

Mar 13, 2013, 1:43 PM

Yes, but we should be more like Sly Stallone***

Mar 13, 2013, 5:05 PM

what a great analogy with the guy and the "wife"!!!***

Mar 13, 2013, 1:00 PM

ND is Bi

Mar 13, 2013, 1:14 PM

Conference. Well, half conference half non....I don't know what that would make them.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Irish agreement is terrible for the ACC

Mar 13, 2013, 1:07 PM

Well written, David. The analogy is perfect. Guess Swoffie and all his blue sweater buds live like this.

Can't see the forest for the trees?????

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu--P.

Mar 13, 2013, 1:11 PM

Mr. Hood could I ask you what you would have the ACC change about the situation? I understand that it is not ideal but it is still beneficial to the conference and based on what we know about the situation the best deal on the table. A lot of factors forced the ACC's hand and I believe they came out looking good.

1. Big 12 agreed to take ND as a partial member eliminating the ACC's ability to push for full membership.

2. The ACC needed a team to enhance the bowl line up to sell for the 2014 bowl contract realignment.

3. The ACC needed a national network like ND to make the ACC network more feasible and profitable.

4. The ACC will make more TV revenue when partnering with ND in the Orange bowl than in years playing 2nd team SEC/B1G. 41 Million compared to 27 Million in other years.

Now I understand people are upset about ND not being a full member but under the current situation this was the best option. As much as ND needed a new conference (had multiple options), the ACC needed ND and that is why it was important we land them. I don't understand the need to complain when the ACC came out on top based on the factors we could control.

null

Well done....What is the penalty for a partial ND leaving

Sep 16, 2020, 6:28 PM

the ACC...is there one?

Re: Well done....What is the penalty for a partial ND leaving

Mar 13, 2013, 1:30 PM

I believe the fee was added for ND specifically. So 50 million.

null

I hate Notre Dame!

Mar 13, 2013, 1:28 PM

nm

they are the Ric Flair of CF.....ya love to hate em!

Mar 13, 2013, 8:02 PM

now get their butts to the ACC!!

Just because it's great for ND doesn't mean it's bad for us.

Mar 13, 2013, 2:09 PM

I'll take the 5 ACC games against ND in football over full ACC membership for UConn or Rutgers or USF or UCF or whomever else is out there.

Message was edited by: josephg®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's the big one elizabeth--I agree with Joe----

Mar 13, 2013, 2:23 PM

We will get a home and home with UND every six years. It's not always easy to find quality non con games and now we have a series built in.

Long term I think this is going to be a big win for us and the ACC.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

NBC-ND deal ends in 2015. We will know by then...***

Mar 13, 2013, 2:11 PM

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Its so terrible to play ND every 3 years...

Mar 13, 2013, 5:54 PM

/sarcasm.

Yes having ND join the ACC as a full member would be the best situation, but that does not mean the alternative is bad.

How often does Scar play Bama or LSU?

Mar 13, 2013, 8:34 PM

Once every 7 years?

If the SEC picks up NCST and VA Tech, Scar will never play Bama, LSU, ATM, or any other power from the west again.

All I need to know is.......

Mar 13, 2013, 8:01 PM

when are they joining the ACC in what counts,FOOTBALL!

Mar 13, 2013, 9:01 PM

Love it!! Hood always tells it like it is and cracks me up!

Mar 14, 2013, 8:06 AM

this is the best artical i have ever read on tigernet. your analogy is perfect. if clemson is "all in" then they couldn't vote on accepting notre dame rbecause notre dame wants only to be partially in.

Sep 16, 2020, 4:31 PM

this is the best artical i have ever trad on tigernet. great analogy about the marriage. if clemson is "all in" then they cannot suppoet this arrangement as notre dame wanta to be "conveniently in." i would never let them inside death valley.

So you'd never let ND into Death Valley if they are not full

Mar 14, 2013, 12:40 PM

ACC members? WHY? Why cares? Sounds like you're cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I'll agree ND is a whoar but there's more to it than that.

Mar 16, 2013, 5:00 AM

Their TV contract doesn't end until 2015. It would have been impossible to get their football team before then.

As far as them scheduling games with our football schools I'd imagine they are like everyone else in that they're booked up for the next few years.

I think the idea was that someday if they are forced into a conference we'd be first in line. Like that'll ever happen!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Notre Dame is all about Notre Dame

Mar 21, 2013, 11:40 PM

I say give them 5 years to bring in the football team 100% or take all their sports and get the Hell out. They are NOT college football and after last season, they proved that they are not elite. No matter how much the media wants them to be great again, it didn't happen. They were overrated and got exposed. I'm much happier with Louisville coming in. Screw Notre Dame and their gold domes!

Replies: 61
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic