Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Brownell proud of his team despite mounting losses
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Brownell proud of his team despite mounting losses

Mar 12, 2013, 10:56 PM

Brownell proud of his team despite mounting losses

Clemson head coach Brad Brownell said Tuesday that he thinks his team hasn’t given up on the season, and might surprise some people in the tournament. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he senses his time is limited....

Mar 12, 2013, 11:17 PM

new AD fires womens coach...

brownell is on high alert....

he will get one more year, but i see NO WAY we are any better next year...

lol @ those who think a rs freshman coming off a BROKEN LEG and a rs soph coming off a SHREDDED ACL is going to be the saviors of the team....and oh by the way...3 total bigs on roster (6'11, 6'8, 6'8)...

brownell if he gets fired...does anybody honestly see another school saying "thats our guy"......

worst seed ever in acc tourney? did i read that right. wow

The guy with the broken leg has been practicing for 2 months

Mar 12, 2013, 11:31 PM

the guy with the torn ACL didn't tear his ACL, rather he had a ruptured achilles tendon. Neither is viewed as a savior, but both clearly would have helped this year. Coleman would have started. Brownell and Rad will sit down after these season. I'm sure expectations will be set. Brownell would have a job tomorrow. His reputation is that good in the coaching ranks.

The "worst seed" thing is silly.

Mar 12, 2013, 11:34 PM [ in reply to he senses his time is limited.... ]

Yes it's the highest (numerically) seed we've ever been, but seeing as how there haven't been this many teams in the ACC for very long that is a silly thing to argue. Indeed we are next to last, and we've been last quite a few times in history.

Nothing to hang your hat on at all. But not exactly "Oh no, we've never been this low before" territory.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Shhhh, don't try to educate the idiots who clearly don't

Mar 13, 2013, 8:41 AM

know anything about the history of Clemson basketball...or follow college basketball whatsoever...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Brownell senses that his time is limited due to women's

Mar 13, 2013, 12:00 AM [ in reply to he senses his time is limited.... ]

coach getting fired? Smoke signals????

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You read it

Mar 13, 2013, 1:32 AM [ in reply to he senses his time is limited.... ]

but it sounds like you need a history lesson.

I like Brownell a lot, but successful coaches at Clemson

Mar 13, 2013, 5:54 AM [ in reply to he senses his time is limited.... ]

make a splash with an unusual style of play (Barnes' D, OP's press) that takes advantage of the fact that we can't attract the talent that can compete with the elite teams of the ACC. I know Brownell wants to run a motion offense and supposedly one can recruit hard-working, smart, non-NBA types to be successful in that system, but so far we just don't have it.

I said before this season that Brownell needed a signature "big win" to get the fan base enthused. He came close with Miami, but didn't get it. And we really weren't even close at all with UNC or Dook, teams that casual Clemson hoops fans would care about beating.

So yes, I kind of agree with you, as much as I like Brownell, I think he has to make some noise next season, or he's on his way out.

Too bad, because I really like him.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The only people that will be surprised are the ones that are

Mar 13, 2013, 8:10 AM

expecting us to do well in the ACC tournament.

sorry the reply was supposed to be under the main subject :)***

Mar 13, 2013, 8:12 AM [ in reply to I like Brownell a lot, but successful coaches at Clemson ]

Re: he senses his time is limited....

Mar 13, 2013, 7:54 AM [ in reply to he senses his time is limited.... ]

Your last sentence is idiotic how long has the ACC had this many teams.

null

Ya'll are stupid-Sound like Coots back in the day

Mar 13, 2013, 8:43 AM [ in reply to he senses his time is limited.... ]

BB is a good coach. If his time is limited, then the chances of Clemson ever getting better are limited. OP ruined this program, no one wanted to come here to play for him. He got a McD's All-American big whoop, the kid is cancer. You want a good program, give him time. Kids aren't going to come here if the coach gets fired every few years.

You guys remind of Coot fans in the years that they sucked. BB can build a winning program. Leave him alone and you will see, run him off and become mediocre.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Brownell proud of his team despite mounting losses

Mar 12, 2013, 11:21 PM

I'm not a big BB guy but i give him credit for not throwing the team under the bus and not taking responsibility for the results this season.

Mar 12, 2013, 11:31 PM

Winners never do that. Winners take their beatings and come back fighting with everything they have to fight with. And I personally think that BB will do that exact same thing. Some times you have to walk around the bottom before you see the best way to get to the top. Don't count BB out just yet, b/c he ain't done yet.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson fans are the ones who throw guys under the bus

Mar 12, 2013, 11:33 PM

sadly

Let me fix that for ya

Mar 12, 2013, 11:35 PM

Clemson fans are the ones who throw guys under the bus

When a team is down, a subsection of every fanbase does this.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed, we live in a world that constantly looks to lay

Mar 12, 2013, 11:53 PM

blame based on emotional reactions to singular events. The big picture is non-existent. Every loss is met with a cry for someone's head. A bad game by a player means they quit. A bad season for a coach means they can't do what they clearly can or they wouldn't be here in the first place. I'll tell you this. If Rad had the choice at GT of Gregory or Brownell, he chooses Brownell

Re: Agreed, we live in a world that constantly looks to lay

Mar 13, 2013, 12:14 AM

Not really. Fans are bad after a loss, but I mean come on.....the guy has lost 9 out of his last 10, had a horrible season last year, and the outlook on next season is bleak. I don't see how any fan in his right mind would not have blame to go around for that.

Thats just pointing out the obvious.

Last year we were 8-8 in the ACC

Mar 13, 2013, 8:45 AM

that's hardly awful by Clemson standards. No need to get in to the how's and why's this year was indeed bad. Any fan that expects Clemson to be competitive in basketball when 85% of the roster is freshmen and sophomores is fooling themselves. The question we have to ask is, was it Brownell's fault the roster was so inexperienced this year? I can't see how you blame the guy for playing the hand he was dealt. The coaching transition, the way it occurred, and basically 2 years of recruiting classes that netted all of 2 players(and those being Milt and Book) spelled "struggle" this year regardless

Mar 13, 2013, 11:16 AM [ in reply to Re: Agreed, we live in a world that constantly looks to lay ]

What appears to be the obvious isn't always the obvious. It's a ghost hovering over and around the obvious. With time, Brownell will get this team turned around. Patience is a virtue that could be a smart choice when it's pertaining to the character and abilities of Brownell's ability to coach. IMHO, Patience will be the deciding force of allowing Brownell to turn the corner with our basketball program. The man has been a winner at every school he has coached at. With a fair amount of time there is no reason he can't turn our program around as well. IMO he will!!! The old saying that usually comes to be true is this, the best things come to the ones with the patience to wait. In this case, wait for all parts to fall in place. I waited this long already, so a couple of more years is just a drop in the bucket. Clemson basketball has actually never been a house hold name in any house in the country. Glimpses here and there that never took hold. Anything that is rushed, will always end up ruined. Building from the ground up will make it easier to withstand the storms through the bad years. I hope that our fans will try and understand that when Brownell gets a strong foundation, the rest will fall into place and will last for a very long time. Even Dook and the Tar Holes have a bad year from time to time. But their foundation doesn't crumble and makes it easy to rebuild. I believe it will take Brownell 5 years to build Clemson that very same type of foundation. If that isn't worth the patience and time to build, then Clemson should just do away with our BB program b/c our fans feel that it isn't worth the time to build it right. We now have a coach that can do just that, build it right from the ground up. I'm sure there are plenty of coaches that can get us to the tourney. But I want more than just getting there. I want a coach that can take the necessary time to get us there, and to keep winning when we get there. IMO, Brownell is that coach.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 14, 2013, 7:14 AM

I agree that year 5 will be the year to make a decision, not next year. We need to be patient and let him build his program. In year 5, his first class will be seniors and there will be a large group of upperclassmen that they have been able to develop. That's the formula for success with his system.

Based on what they were able to do with Jerai & Bobo, they can develop Landry & Josh in the same way. Hopefully by their junior year, they can be decent offensive options while playing good defense. We still need more bigs, but I'm sure they are working on that.

With Coleman, Roper & Blossongame here & Rooks on the way, this team will have better offensive perimeter options right away. But they will need a season to learn, develop and gel. It all points to year 5.

I agree that Brownell looks frustrated. But I don't think he's surprised. Nobody should be. He said as much in year 1 immediately after the tournament. He said that things were going to get worse before they got better. So what is taking place should not be unexpected.

We have to be patient.

Right now we don't have a true, go-to point guard.

Mar 13, 2013, 11:18 AM [ in reply to Re: Agreed, we live in a world that constantly looks to lay ]

Football teams without at least decent QB's don't do well either.

Mar 13, 2013, 3:19 AM

Surprise some people.How about surprise FSU!

Brownells recruiting just makes no sense

Mar 13, 2013, 7:53 AM

It seems he's recruiting for OP's style of play. Simply good athletes. Yet he's running a scheme that basically needs four people on the floor at all times that can knock down a shot to make it effective.

He needs to get players in that may not be as physically gifted as Filer or McDaniel, but can just simply shoot the dang ball. Those are the players that fit in a motion offense. They will be lower ranked in the so-called stars, but those are the kind of grinders we need in this system.

We need to recruit like a lower conference team and build cohesion, not just get three star guys and sprinkle in a four star and expect it to work.

None of our young big men can shoot a lick. Nnoko, Smith, Sullivan. I simply don't understand what system he is recruiting for when he keeps talking about this motion offense.

i agree 100%***

Mar 13, 2013, 8:25 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

his system needs players that traditionally we haven't been

Mar 13, 2013, 8:34 AM [ in reply to Brownells recruiting just makes no sense ]

able to recruit.....ie....good shooters. I've watched Clemson basketball for almost 40 yrs and I can count on my two hands the good pure shooters we've had. Our best teams have relied on their athletic ability, defense, had a few difference makers to get us through the lapses offensively.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson also has no size

Mar 13, 2013, 8:45 AM [ in reply to Brownells recruiting just makes no sense ]

Landry is the only big man next year and we saw what he could do.

big men are the hardest position to recruit as well

Mar 13, 2013, 8:51 AM

in our history even our best big men have developed during their time here. Elden Campbell led the Lakers in scoring during the 1990's but when he got here he wasn't that good. Horace Grant was a starter on 3 NBA title teams and he was an ok player when he got here. They were simply raw talents. We aren't going to get big men to come here who can come in and dominate from the start.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson also has no size-Nnoko is only 6'11"***

Mar 14, 2013, 8:13 AM [ in reply to Clemson also has no size ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd argue he is recruiting that way

Mar 13, 2013, 8:54 AM [ in reply to Brownells recruiting just makes no sense ]

mid majors thrive on cohesion produced by playing together 3-4 years. That's Clemson's formula for success also. He didn't have that this year. He'll begin to have a little next year. In 2 years he will have it and that's his litmus test. As for those successful mid major programs, only a few are elite. And the Gonzaga's, Butler's, Creighton's and Wichita St's of the world manage to get guys who fit systems that have been in place for years. Brownell's system has been in place 3 years with only 2 of his recruiting classes to implement it.

Re: I'd argue he is recruiting that way

Mar 13, 2013, 11:21 AM

Teams that you have mention is in there year in and out.

Exactly, and how have they accoplished it

Mar 13, 2013, 1:06 PM

Gonzaga-2 coaches over 16 years running the same system and getting players that fit the system, and now some better guys because of their rep

Butlet-multiple coaches playing the same style(promoted from within) and now same as Gonzaga, getting better players

Creighton- see above, and the coaches son being a first team AA doesn't hurt

Wichita St-Marshall's first 3 years were not nearly as good as Turgeon had before heading to aTm, but they were patient and now look at them. Marshall plays basically the same style Turgeon did, smothering half court D with an opportunistic offense.

Oh really?

Mar 13, 2013, 8:05 PM [ in reply to I'd argue he is recruiting that way ]

Brownell= Larry Shyatt

you can see the frustration over all his face this yr

Mar 13, 2013, 8:22 AM

he hasn't hid it well even though he's clearly tried to push through it.

Indeed. I have no issue with him not hiding it well

Mar 13, 2013, 9:02 AM

either(not saying you do). He's shown class though in not going off on some emotional tirade(like another prominent state coach). He understands he didn't have the horses this year, or that they simply did not have the experience to consistently play the way he wants to. I believe he believes it will improve as his guys get older, stronger and better through player development. And in spite of what some want to downplay, the 2 guys he could not suit up due to injury this year would have been major contributors and helped us win games this year. He played from a short deck all year, fought through it, and I'm sure is ready for off season workouts to begin to as he puts it, "grind" out improvement next year

I've got no issue with him not hiding it either

Mar 13, 2013, 9:05 AM

when you put in the hours he's putting in and investing in the program like he is and getting these results you're going to be frustrated.

And I believe that's the main point

Mar 13, 2013, 9:16 AM

the decision Rad needs to make should not be based on results from a year where even the most optimistic fan should have epected a struggle, but rather, is this the right guy and formula to build a program that is unlike any other that Clemson has ever had. I've always felt that if Clemson were going to be consistently successful in hoops we'd be a program that looks like what Virginia had when Terry Holland was there. Tough, hard nosed over achievers. Then, if you do happen to get that one elite player(ie. Sampson), you can truly take it to the next level. That is something we've never had and if we are to have it, it will take time to build it the right way. It's as much mental as it is physical, and it takes time and patience to instill that type of mentality when you've never had it consistently before

By AND large. Not by in large. Not by enlarge.

Mar 13, 2013, 3:56 PM

Sheeze. If you're not sure then look it up.

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic