Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Watson thinks Tigers can have a Top 10 defense in 2013
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 44
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Watson thinks Tigers can have a Top 10 defense in 2013

Mar 12, 2013, 12:13 PM

Watson thinks Tigers can have a Top 10 defense in 2013

Defensive tackle Josh Watson thinks that Clemson’s defense can make even bigger strides this season and be a top 10 defense, if not better. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Typo

Mar 12, 2013, 12:19 PM

You must have a typo, because the article said he was benching 655. Holy shizzle!!!! Dat is a mane!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Typo

Mar 12, 2013, 12:26 PM

Probably not a typo if he just maxed out at that weight.

Would have trouble beleiving he could do his normal reps at that weight though.

he was board benching; in the vid around the 3:46ish mark

Mar 12, 2013, 12:27 PM

jw mentions it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: he was board benching; in the vid around the 3:46ish mark

Mar 13, 2013, 9:29 AM

That's less impressive, but still pretty impressive.

lol, no doubt.

Mar 13, 2013, 9:30 AM

it's still man material.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

655? Big deal, I curl that every day***

Mar 12, 2013, 2:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Typo ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 655? Big deal, I curl that every day***

Mar 12, 2013, 2:22 PM

I bet you are pretty drunk after that work out;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No way I can only curl 550 drunk***

Mar 12, 2013, 3:56 PM

It's pounds not grams!***

Mar 12, 2013, 6:09 PM [ in reply to 655? Big deal, I curl that every day*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's pounds not grams!***

Mar 12, 2013, 6:15 PM

Hey, it his story, let him tell it his way.;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's right***

Mar 12, 2013, 10:02 PM

Twice?

Mar 12, 2013, 12:28 PM [ in reply to Typo ]

Dear Lord, please pity the fool that lines up against the Hulk.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Typo

Mar 12, 2013, 12:43 PM [ in reply to Typo ]

I was just about to say the same thing. I really think they meant squat 655. If he is benching 655, he is eating the whole deer horn, and the rest of the whole deer, and that's daily. And a whole moose on the weekends!!!

OKLAHOMA! OKLAHOMA!

Mar 12, 2013, 12:25 PM

While clapping my hands above my head.

Who knows what movie?

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, you silly Ruprick ...***

Mar 12, 2013, 12:31 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: Front Page Story: Watson thinks Tigers can have a Top 10 defense in 2013

Mar 12, 2013, 12:26 PM

Love the confidence-of course not hard to understand considering the energy and preparation Josh puts into it!
I think everyone expects our D to be much improved but boasting a Top 10 D would be so awesome!

IF we have a top 10 total D for the seson in mid-December

Mar 12, 2013, 12:34 PM

there is no way we aren't in the NC game ... IMO.

That's an all caps IF, however.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

I have a hard time thinking we'll ever have a top 10 defense

Mar 12, 2013, 12:40 PM

with a spread attack 100 play HUNH type offense. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but a top 10 defense would be phenomenal.

Florida did***

Mar 12, 2013, 2:09 PM

florida did not run clemson's offense bryant.***

Mar 12, 2013, 2:23 PM

Urban Meyer didn't run Morris offense?***

Mar 12, 2013, 3:57 PM

no.***

Mar 12, 2013, 4:01 PM

Looks the same to me, didn't run up tempo the whole game

Mar 12, 2013, 10:14 PM

but in spurts. Looks more like Morris at Tulsa with a lot of running.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGGEwR6e-9U

you just answered your own question. they both run the

Mar 12, 2013, 11:18 PM

spread, some plays are the same, but you can run the read option out of any formation.

florida ran 74 plays in that national championship game in time before the clock changes, that's 60-65 plays tops now. they huddled, they didn't not run the hunh.

some people hate the spread, i agree with them, i think it's ##### football and was in fact designed to offset bigger stronger teams by spreading them out. it was an admission that we can't out physical your team so we'll try to beat you in space. this offense[spread] many think provides soft defenses because they must practice against it week in, week out. florida would be a good example here of a team that brought an excellent defense, but florida's offense took time off the clock which allowed their d to rest. you can run the clock in the spread, they did.

enter morris and the hurry up, no huddle which is a balls to the wall snap it as soon as they put it down, don't allow the defense to shuttle in sets or players, force them into committing to 5 or 6 dbs and wear them out with volume. this offense when it ##### the bed like against scar and fsu allows the opposing offense to get back on the field and wear your defense down, at least that's the theory.

not every spread offense is the same or has the same theory crafting behind it. not every read option offense has tim tebow or cam newton running the ball. many look the same because of plays or sets, but that does not mean they attack the defense or the game as a whole the same.

florida may line up like clemson does as times, but they weren't anything close to what morris preaches.

You can't teal the difference? Shocker....***

Mar 12, 2013, 11:30 PM [ in reply to Looks the same to me, didn't run up tempo the whole game ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL! Read it as "It's ############" first time. Glad to

Mar 12, 2013, 12:51 PM

learn that it's actually maturation. If it were the other, it would make for some interesting practices!!

Well stuff happens when you hold Peters

Mar 12, 2013, 12:57 PM

out at practice.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

this reminds me of a couple of years ago when

Mar 12, 2013, 1:34 PM

I think it was Corico came out and said the Tigers would have the #1 run defense prior to the season. Ohhhh boy he was wrong that year!!

Hopefully this guy is more accurate. After last year, I'd be extremely pleased with a defense ranked in the top 25.

Coot^^^***

Mar 12, 2013, 2:11 PM

We will be top25 in DL and LB

Mar 12, 2013, 2:11 PM

it just depends on the secondary. Our DL and LB's are gonna be studs

I agree with this. We need to wait for fall camp for the DBs

Mar 12, 2013, 2:15 PM

Alexander, Wiggins, Baker, Kearse all arrive and all of them could avoid a RS. I definitely expect Alexander and Kearse to avoid one. I think Baker needs more weight and Wiggins is on the fence for me.

Our secondary was pretty bad, but with a marked

Mar 12, 2013, 4:08 PM [ in reply to We will be top25 in DL and LB ]

improvement in our DL, it will definitely help our secondary by not having to cover guys longer. A QB will pick apart a secondary if he is given an ample amount of time to plant his feet and deliver a great pass. More pass rush equals an improved secondary even IF the secondary talent remains the same.

It doesn't hurt to have some studs coming in for our secondary though. This D could have a pretty drastic turn around this coming season and onward.

I hope you're right

Mar 12, 2013, 4:13 PM [ in reply to We will be top25 in DL and LB ]

I dont have any faith in our LB's. I've seen some godawful LB play since Steele has been here and continuing under Venables. Every year I think the LB's have to be better this year, but so far they havent gotten any better as a group. I'd love to see Parker, Steward, and Anthony finally live up to their billing.

We may be alright at DT, but at DE we are full of ???'s. Crawford hasnt done squat since being here. I really like Vic, he's a pass rushing machine, but he only plays on 3rd downs in passing situations. The other DE spot....who knows??? It's gonna be manned by a really young, inexperienced guy.

The secondary may be alright if Breeland is 100% healthy. I like him a lot. Blanks should be better than what we had last year at safety. The second safety spot is anybody's guess. Martin Jenkins should be really solid as the 3rd CB. But the other CB position will be a toss up between Peters, Robinson, and Alexander once he gets his feet under him and learns the defense. He (Alexander) really should be starting by mid season if he can learn the defense.

and again ^^^^^^COOT^^^^^^***

Mar 13, 2013, 7:52 AM

We need a DE who commands a double team.***

Mar 12, 2013, 4:15 PM [ in reply to We will be top25 in DL and LB ]

Shaq Lawson. Wait and see.***

Mar 12, 2013, 4:16 PM

Re: We need a DE who commands a double team.***

Mar 12, 2013, 6:29 PM [ in reply to We need a DE who commands a double team.*** ]

Better yet, a DT who commands one.

You still get the same result - a running back having to stay in to help on Vic Beasley instead of going out for a pass. And you get the penetration in the run game.

Re: We need a DE who commands a double team.***

Mar 12, 2013, 6:56 PM

If Vic Beasley holds down one DE spot and put the weight on that is being asked of him he will be a beast. He played only a qtr of the snaps and just about led the team in sacks. Think full time production and no mental head case problems with being penalized.

I call VB with 10 sacks if not more this year alone.

this clowney for heisman campaign..

Mar 12, 2013, 11:16 PM [ in reply to this reminds me of a couple of years ago when ]

reminds me of a few years ago when coot fans and national media had all bug gave marcus the heisman how did that turn out? clowney will be out of the heisman race come november.

We don't need a great D just an above average one

Mar 12, 2013, 2:13 PM

Our O will keep us in every game all that we need is an above average D. Had we had this we would have been undefeated these past two years more likely then not. We definitely would have been undefeated this past year as both loses can be attributed to the D not being able to stop/get the other team off of the field.

Why doesn't an O lineman

Mar 12, 2013, 2:20 PM

ever come out and put his name and his unit on the line? Especially the guy protecting Taj's blind side? I'm tired of being taunted by that funny fellow in Cola.

bench 655?????!!!!!!!!

Mar 12, 2013, 2:55 PM

BEAST

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 12, 2013, 9:58 PM

"Thinks"? It is easy to "think" about it in March and actually do it in the fall. Give him a TNet account.

Mar 13, 2013, 10:57 AM

like this attitude; need to get out of the defense's second class citizen category.

Replies: 44
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic