Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Swinney says new recruiting rules will further separate haves and have not
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Swinney says new recruiting rules will further separate haves and have not

Feb 7, 2013, 1:59 PM

Swinney says new recruiting rules will further separate haves and have not

The NCAA opened up the proverbial can of worms late last month with proposals that will deregulate the rule-book concerning college recruiting. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow, if I was a recruit facing unlimited amounts of

Feb 7, 2013, 2:07 PM

text messages, I think I would throw away my phone.

Nice job Presidents and NCAA, you have totally focused on the business and forgotten about the kids. Now what was your job description again?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Any semblance of a level playing field would be out

Feb 7, 2013, 2:11 PM

the window. They might as well sub-divide the FBS into two separate leagues, with no affiliation. "Haves" and "Have Nots"

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i think regulation is untenable at this point... hopefully

Feb 7, 2013, 2:14 PM [ in reply to Wow, if I was a recruit facing unlimited amounts of ]

they can bring a greater focus to those things they can actually control.

my son was visited over christmas break[dead period] by 3 wise men from a D1 program that i won't name. they walked right on his high school campus and asked if "name redacted" was around.

it happened to be my son they were looking for. it's sorta, kinda a violation.

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well aren't you a [name redacted] dropper

Feb 7, 2013, 2:15 PM

:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

nah, just know the riff raff around these parts...

Feb 7, 2013, 2:21 PM

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Say no more

I already know you're talking about CUTigerDave

i was hoping to protect that soccer luvers feelings...

Feb 7, 2013, 2:22 PM

you know how easily he bruises.

Re: i was hoping to protect that soccer luvers feelings...

Feb 7, 2013, 11:46 PM

If it was a school I didn't support I would report them to the NCAA. If it was a school I didn't mind I would give them a warning and possibly keep my son from going to the cheating program.

From a sales guy, it's not quantity, it's quality...

Feb 7, 2013, 3:05 PM [ in reply to Wow, if I was a recruit facing unlimited amounts of ]

I'd think the schools that text the most/non-stop would probably be more of a turn off than antyhing else.

Just my 2 cents.

^^My thoughts as well^^

Feb 7, 2013, 3:18 PM

I get annoyed when people I know text me too much. To have anywhere from 5-15 people I only just met texting or calling me 10-20 times a day?

No thanks, sounds like every 13-year-old girl with a facebook account's dream though.

Clemson

Re: Wow, if I was a recruit facing unlimited amounts of

Feb 7, 2013, 7:21 PM [ in reply to Wow, if I was a recruit facing unlimited amounts of ]

They kill me. They first don't want a playoff, because it might take a little more time away from focusing on studies, but then this? Give me a break.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Money makes for strange alliances. All about the big boys.***

Feb 7, 2013, 11:10 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The NCCA is now and has always been a cartel.

Feb 8, 2013, 11:20 AM [ in reply to Wow, if I was a recruit facing unlimited amounts of ]

They are uninterested in students or athletes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Man....this really sucks...

Feb 7, 2013, 2:10 PM

How can the NCAA not see what it is doing here? This is going to be a nightmare for these poor kids.

If you think the drama surrounding Nkemdiche was bad, things are only going to get worse

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I didn't know we were an Elite program

Feb 7, 2013, 2:13 PM

does our O-line know it yet ????

null

ask our #8 OG in the nation recruit

Feb 7, 2013, 2:17 PM

who is going to redshirt next year or the #1 Center from last year who redshirted if our o-line knows we are elite...

our O-line will be very good next year

Feb 7, 2013, 2:26 PM [ in reply to I didn't know we were an Elite program ]

so what are you talking about?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Personally I didn't think it was bad last year

Feb 7, 2013, 2:35 PM

Especially since it was a major question mark going into the season, I think they performed well. Yes, Clowney got through the line some, but really what line was able to contain him?

I think the sky is the limit for the OL, and I expect big things from this group.

We were somewhat beset by injuries and lacked ...

Feb 7, 2013, 3:02 PM

experienced depth. You can't recruit depth but they got much needed experience.

I'd have to agree, all in all our line did a good job.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

all in all, I too think our line did a good job, but

Feb 7, 2013, 4:05 PM

I don't think we are elite yet

I do like Dabo and think he has us headed in the right direction.

I just pine for the times when other schools REALLY dreaded playing because our O-line would MASH their ####### heads in.

I just want to blow the other team off the ####### ball and the QB to fear for his ####### life or at least for the set of teeth given to him by God.

I want those ####### to hate playing against Clemson again.

too much ?????

null

Too much? Not at all, we're certainly in agreement there***

Feb 7, 2013, 4:16 PM

Re: all in all, I too think our line did a good job, but

Feb 8, 2013, 11:24 AM [ in reply to all in all, I too think our line did a good job, but ]

I think you just have a poor choice of words

Poor kids

Their egos are going to be massive from the attention. Schools are going to be making lifesize posters of these kids. At least the NCAA set aside some time for the kids to be kids or focus on school. NOT!

This will mimic the Wall Street collapse from deregulation in the 90s. The dirtiest and richest will rise to the top.

I don't have a problem if a kid wants this kind of attention, but there needs to be a route for a kid who knows what he wants and wants to be left alone.

Re: Poor kids

Feb 7, 2013, 3:37 PM

A "Do Not Call or Text" rule would be nice. Any kid that wants to be left alone by a particular school can submit a form or something. Any school that texts or calls after it has been banned will be in violation of NCAA rules. It could get complicated, but how else - other than becoming a hermit - could you avoid all the extra contacting.

Your Wall Street analogy was my first thought. We all know

Feb 7, 2013, 4:46 PM [ in reply to Poor kids ]

how that turned out in 2007/08. 'Too big to fail" was a free 'Stay out of jail' card. The NCAA was bought and sold some year's ago if their recent actions/ inactions are any indication. +1.

Tell us what you need Dabo, and we'll do all we can to make

Feb 7, 2013, 2:28 PM

everything available for you!

Thanks a lot Obama!!!!***

Feb 7, 2013, 2:48 PM

Re: Thanks a lot Obama!!!!***

Feb 7, 2013, 10:24 PM

For gods sake i hope this is a joke

I don't get how this is so bad for "the kids", but I do get.

Feb 7, 2013, 3:00 PM

....how bad it is for lower 'financed' programs. The part that seems less believable is the idea that personnel would simply bury kids in calls, texts, etc. If a recruit says stop and it doesn't stop to his liking, why is that a good thing? It would pi** me off completely.

It's one thing to be tempted by gifts/graft/money/women and all the other accusations. But I at least give teenage footballers the benefit of the doubt when it comes to stopping unwanted contact. So for example, if a guy from Bama keeps texting because it's all he's hired to do (theoretically) but it doesn't do anything for the kid, he says, "stop texting me." If it doesn't stop it's annoying. Not a good impression. If it's really bad, it's harassment.

Now, if the context in all of these hypothetical texts are are more than just benign contact, that's a different story.......(go to this store at that time to get your Nikes, for example....)

That's a step 180 degrees in the wrong direction as far as

Feb 7, 2013, 3:12 PM

I'm concerned. I think schools should get 2 visits with recruits - that's it. Those visits could take place at the school, at the home of the recruit, or wherever, and any in-person contact with any coaches or or school representatives would count as a visit. Any school found in violation gets 3-years probation first offense; 15 scholarship limit, no bowls, no tv. Second offense = death penalty.

There should be severe limitaions on all other forms of contact - phone, e-mail, texts, skype, snail mail, etc., just enough to allow questions and concerns to be addressed.

The gist of it all should be to allow the recruits to visit and learn about the schools, to meet and talk to the coaches, and then to follow up with questions and concerns. This would also give schools and coaches a chance to sell their programs and put their best foot forward. That should be it. Anything else is representative of what is wrong with college athletics.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

It makes me want to run out and vote for Obalambanla too.***

Feb 7, 2013, 3:16 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What if in your proposed clamped down system....

Feb 7, 2013, 3:17 PM [ in reply to That's a step 180 degrees in the wrong direction as far as ]

.....after a visit and an email/text (two total), the next school comes in and dazzles the recruit. The original school is SOL? No chance to win them back?

Doesn't make any sense. And certainly doesn't feel natural. I guess after two dates, if she doesn't want to marry a guy, then he's SOL if the rules applied to that.....

The NCAA has some of the stupidest SOB's on the planet.

Feb 7, 2013, 3:21 PM

The NCAA goes out its way for years and years to create more parity and to level the playing field for everyone (the haves and the have nots).

Remember when they decided to limit the number of color photos schools could use in the media guides?

Then they come-up with something like this.

Of course, this is the same group who selectively and inconsistently enforces its own rules so is anyone really surprised by this?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Who do you think the NCAA is?

Feb 7, 2013, 3:54 PM

It is the college presidents (including ours). That's who is calling the shots. They have embraced the concept that college football is Big Business, even while they pontificate about the "student athlete". We are well on our way to superconferences that function as an all-out developmental professional football league...

Re: Front Page Story: Swinney says new recruiting rules will further separate haves and have not

Feb 7, 2013, 3:26 PM

I just said this a couple of weeks ago. I said that it will take a relations department just to keep up with the texting and the phone calls. It seems like the NCAA goes out its way with ### the rules to help the SEC to be an even bigger monster. It also seems that they are in on crushing the acc. Swoffy sure better do something to get the acc money up to the sec money.

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

Re: Front Page Story: Swinney says new recruiting rules will further separate haves and have not

Feb 7, 2013, 3:33 PM

I know the parents of these recruits better have unlimited messaging in their plan!

Here's the good news:

Feb 7, 2013, 3:38 PM

Clemson is a HAVES

I could and may well be wrong on this but

Feb 7, 2013, 3:43 PM

wasn't Barker on this "rules changing" committee ??

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Boy that was alot of talking in circles....***

Feb 7, 2013, 3:44 PM

Being a designer, I'm sending my resume to DMunson tonight:)***

Feb 7, 2013, 3:53 PM

Feb 7, 2013, 4:14 PM

OK, so the haves should hire about 100 new recruiters at $70,000/year. Many of these will be members of player's posses and hot chicks. Budget about $9,000,000/ year for this, and you won't win any games.

What a great use of public university money.

Man how annoying is it gonna be for recruits***

Feb 7, 2013, 4:56 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here's a big idea (literally) - balloon

Feb 7, 2013, 6:03 PM

A giant hot-air balloon. Solid orange with a giant white paw print on both sides. Take it to the campus if a big recruit; inflate it on the practice field nearby, tether it, and hover during the game. Bonus: give free rides to local fans to garner support for Clemson.

6 passenger balloon, about $150k

Here come high school steroids and tests...

Feb 7, 2013, 7:56 PM

Kids paying off the policeman/security guard at the school. scary times ahead

Re: NCAA has no cahoonas. They pass a bunch of rules

Feb 7, 2013, 9:08 PM

and enforce none of them--at least not fairly. Certain teams and coaches can cheat and they turn and look the other way.

I doubt being able to communicate infinitely will help

Feb 8, 2013, 11:19 AM

the elite programs much, and it might even help the "little guys" more.

Either way, I highly doubt recruits will respond more favorably to a coach that calls them 10 times a day. Just sayin.

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic