Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Dabo says Steward's year not wasted
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 51

Front Page Story: Dabo says Steward's year not wasted

Jan 15, 2013, 11:28 AM

Dabo says Steward's year not wasted

Dabo Swinney said that Clemson linebacker Tony Steward needed to get on the field and get some snaps under his belt after 2 ACL surgeries. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Dabo says Steward's year not wasted

Jan 15, 2013, 12:09 PM

Look forward to seeing him on the field more next year.... but loved watching TIG and wish him well in the NFL....

Re: Front Page Story: Dabo says Steward's year not wasted

Jan 15, 2013, 9:49 PM

It takes a year to fully recover fron a torn ACL, and he had two. In my opinion, playing him and not redshirting
hin abd give him a chance to fully rehab and work out in the weight room (become a beast) was poor judgement, poor coaching, etc. It was a wasted year, and a disservive to Steward. Shame.

Amazing control of the English language, bravo!***

Jan 15, 2013, 11:19 PM

I have employees ask me about some of my decisions

Jan 15, 2013, 12:10 PM

And then I tell them why their opinion is invalid (to put it nicely). Dabo doesn't have that luxury. At least not to the extent that most people do. Let the coaches coach.

Thats right!

Jan 15, 2013, 12:57 PM

if the coaches screw up...the fans have no right to say anything about it....u tell em!

Just remember that it's infinitely easier to criticize

Jan 15, 2013, 1:24 PM

Based on your pulse I see you do a lot of that. Have a good day.

Re: Thats right!

Jan 15, 2013, 9:54 PM [ in reply to Thats right! ]

No. According to the thought police on this board we have no say whatever. BS!!

I'd hate to work for you***

Jan 15, 2013, 1:28 PM [ in reply to I have employees ask me about some of my decisions ]

Really? I'm quite reasonable.

Jan 15, 2013, 2:58 PM

You shouldn't judge my entire character based on a single forum post. Besides, my pumper pulse is higher than yours which somehow makes me better than you right?......Probably not. Have a good afternoon.

Re: I'd hate to work for you***

Jan 15, 2013, 9:57 PM [ in reply to I'd hate to work for you*** ]

Given that I have a low tolerance for stupidity, lazinesss, low motivation, and fools in general, I'd never consider employing you.

Re: I have employees ask me about some of my decisions

Jan 15, 2013, 2:25 PM [ in reply to I have employees ask me about some of my decisions ]

Their opinion is invalid? Wow way to treat your employees and as a boss myself that isn't the way to treat or conduct business. Also very arrogant of you to think they can't help you improve. My wife works at JCI and her supervisor and many there can tell you she knows more about what should be done than the Plant manager himself.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ha. You haven't heard the opinions

Jan 15, 2013, 2:50 PM

Trust me. The valid ones I encourage people to run with and give them all the credit. I work to create mini-managers on my teams as they are much closer to the situations than I am. The "invalid" opinions are typically complaints for the sake of complaining with no accompanying suggested solution much less constructive criticism. By no means am I perfect, but let's have a discussion to go over the facts before making a hyperbolic comment. Much like most of the stuff you see on TNet unfortunately.

If you actually knew me you'd know that I'm quite open minded, approachable, and willing to listen to all forms of feedback/suggestions. Although I can see how my brief comment may cause you to react that way. I provided little context and the internet is good at conveying a condescending tone. Enjoy your evening.

Re: I have employees ask me about some of my decisions

Jan 15, 2013, 9:52 PM [ in reply to I have employees ask me about some of my decisions ]

Yeah, and let them make lousey decisions without any accountability. So, they are omnipotent?? Dream on.

Dabo's idea of a wasted year is different from mine

Jan 15, 2013, 12:13 PM

Just like last year was a wasted year for Lateek. Played in only a handful of special teams plays. Now he and Steward both only have two years of eligibility remaining.

To me, that's wasted time.

Re: Dabo's idea of a wasted year is different from mine

Jan 15, 2013, 12:49 PM

Like Dabo said, had TS not played this year, that would've been 3 years that he had not played a snap at linebacker. He needed to get experience in game situations to get him ready for next year.

Who cares if they only have 2 more years of eligibility. How many LB's make any kind of a significant impact in their first 2 years? I'd say less than 1%.

Jan 15, 2013, 10:02 PM

My god, he's had two ACL injuries. Give him time to recover. Given a chance, he will be a stud.

I'm sorry, but your football intellect is lacking.

Jan 15, 2013, 12:52 PM [ in reply to Dabo's idea of a wasted year is different from mine ]

Steward's situation is being handled correctly. He's gotta learn the game again. You gotta crawl before you can walk.

Every year, every team - similar situations. It's just the way it is.

And, gasp, even Danny Ford did it!

Exactly. Who knew who Mantai Te'o was until this year

Jan 15, 2013, 1:38 PM

and he was a senior!

You don't watch much football if you didn't know who Te'o

Jan 15, 2013, 1:40 PM

was until his sr year...

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow! Hadn't heard of Manti Te'o & still can't spell his name***

Jan 16, 2013, 11:18 PM

Could not disagree more!

Jan 15, 2013, 6:58 PM [ in reply to I'm sorry, but your football intellect is lacking. ]

Dabo does a lot of things right and should get credit for it but CLEARLY this was a poor and mindboggling decision. You don't waste a redshirt year for ST!!

Do you realize how talented this kid is??? Best LB recruit in 10+ years. Even BV wanted to redshirt him.

Getting on the field for ST does not qualify as "crawling before walking". This was a horrible decision and I am hopeful he doesn't make it again. You can add several players to this list such as Brooks but Stewart is the elephant in the room.

Why do you think Dabo is defending this publically? Because it was a mistake and anyone with a football IQ above marginal knows it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm sorry bud, but you can disagree as adamantly as you like

Jan 15, 2013, 8:30 PM

But it doesn't make you right. In fact, not at all.

Fact is, again, Steward needed some playing time. There was no way he should been held out again. It's the same way you like to start out most young players, i.e. ease them in. And in Steward's case, he's basically a freshman. He needed to play some, but he wasn't at a point where he was ready to take a position from another LB. It's the way things are done in college football. Funny you mentioned football IQ, but we'll get back to that.

You asked me do I realize how talented this kid is? Well, no, not really. Neither do you. He's had time on the field, and while he played well against the likes of Furman, it was clear he needs time to grow. You grow by crawling before you walk. Not by sitting on the bench. And he didn't only play on ST, but even if that was the case, lots of talented players get their starts on ST. Again, calling anyone out for their "football IQ" is funny when you didn't even realize this simple fact.

Dabo WILL make similar decisions again. Because it's the way you bring players along. Especially when you're not ready to take a position from another player, and even more so when sitting out for a 3rd straight year would be even more detrimental to growth.

Dabo didn't "defend" anything. He was asked a question, and he answered.

Now, back to the silly "football IQ" thing. Hopefully some of the logic and facts above help you to see your error, but if not, hopefully the fact that every year, every coach does similar things will. Pick a team, any team. There are talented young players with minimal snaps, getting them acclimated or over injuries. It's the way that it is now and has always been.

Re: I'm sorry bud, but you can disagree as adamantly as you like

Jan 15, 2013, 10:17 PM

Remarkably, you make no mention that this player had suffered two ACL injuries (yeah, that's two). Having suffered one myself, I know what it takes to come back from one. This WAS a very bad judgement call on Dabo's part not to redshirt him. A wasted year for a very talented player? Yes!! Live with it.

Re: Could not disagree more!

Jan 15, 2013, 10:09 PM [ in reply to Could not disagree more! ]

I totally agree. This was a major mistake on Dabo's
part. Bad, bad decision. Oh god, here come the true believers and thought police. Well, you are still wrong in spite of the shrill, intolerant tone. Shove it!!!

Agree. Not a smart decision.***

Jan 15, 2013, 12:56 PM [ in reply to Dabo's idea of a wasted year is different from mine ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Agree. Not a smart decision.***

Jan 15, 2013, 12:59 PM

just wondering uttles is there any decision that dabo could make that would please you. i have a good one, ban you from any clemson event.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah uttles would love it if Dabo came out and said the

Jan 15, 2013, 2:31 PM

troops don't fight for his freedom and that he hates America, uttles would love that

Re: Agree. Not a smart decision.***

Jan 15, 2013, 10:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Agree. Not a smart decision.*** ]

You are dealing with the thought police enforcing the party line. Forget reason and objectivity.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Apparently you

Jan 15, 2013, 1:03 PM [ in reply to Agree. Not a smart decision.*** ]

like exposing your cluelessness?

Re: You have no idea what you're talking about. Apparently you

Jan 15, 2013, 10:20 PM

Brilliant. Any point there?

This is hilarious!

Jan 16, 2013, 1:35 PM

You logged in and proceeded to make at least 13 rapid fire posts in this thread, and not one of them has a valid or supported point. I guess that's pretty common when you have a pulse hovering around 25%. And you asked me if I had a point? That's funny. My points have been made very lucidly. Feel free to argue them. Your reply to this post certainly offers nothing along the lines of a rebuttal, but you can try again if you're so inclined. Otherwise - FAIL.

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=13485256

Just as a side note, do you snort cocaine before you log on to Tigernet?

Jan 15, 2013, 1:18 PM [ in reply to Dabo's idea of a wasted year is different from mine ]

ATC since you know so much, why aren't you a head coach making millions? Ever think that the coaches who get paid for this and go to practice every day just might know more than you do? Must be sad to be one of those that never sees anything good about our staff...........

Jan 15, 2013, 10:39 PM

Does the big money make them immune to mistakes? If that were the case, every high paid coach would be successful. And, any criticism or questioning of a coach's is not a personal attack or a sign of disloyalty.
Coachs like anyone else can make bad decisons. It is what it is. This deal with Stewart was a clusterf$$k that harmed him and the team as well. Get over it.

Jan 15, 2013, 6:43 PM [ in reply to Dabo's idea of a wasted year is different from mine ]

I bet his check for coaching has a lot of difference there also.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 15, 2013, 6:48 PM [ in reply to Dabo's idea of a wasted year is different from mine ]

U sure are right.. year wasted BUT Steward refused R/S year so what could Dabo do????

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 15, 2013, 10:41 PM

Be a coach and a leader and not let a player make his decisions.

Jan 15, 2013, 7:04 PM [ in reply to Dabo's idea of a wasted year is different from mine ]

Then your idea sucks balls, cause i'd say Dabo knows 100 times more than you coot

Jan 15, 2013, 10:42 PM

Your IQ must be about equal to your age.

Jan 15, 2013, 9:59 PM [ in reply to Dabo's idea of a wasted year is different from mine ]

My god, a voice of reason. Good work.

The guy definitely needed some live game experience. You

Jan 15, 2013, 1:25 PM

can't put anyone, much less a LB that needs to play with instincts and physicality, on the shelf for 3 entire years and then expect them to come in and really contribute.

If Tony had sat out this year, next year probably wouldn't have looked a lot different for him than this year did.

It would have been nice if he had gotten some more snaps this year, but I'm not going to sit here and criticize and second guess the coaches on everything like some others on this board.

Like he would come out and say he squandered a year...***

Jan 15, 2013, 1:36 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wasted yr. Illogical excuse. But maybe Dabo had good reason

Jan 16, 2013, 11:43 PM

It was definitely a wasted year and Dabo's excuse makes no sense. Steward could have practiced against the 1's on scout team, etc, to maintain his football skills. Plenty of guys redshirt and warm the bench for years before starting. But perhaps Steward adamantly opposed redshirting or something. Dabo may well have had good reasons that we'll never hear about. Or maybe he just screwed up. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Replies: 42
| visibility 51
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic