Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mickey Plyler's Blog: Clemson Basketball
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 1

Mickey Plyler's Blog: Clemson Basketball

Jan 7, 2013, 10:24 AM

Clemson Basketball

Clemson Basketball
I am Clemson basketball fan.

My story is sad. I have years of frustration pinned up inside of me. My guess is that this is what Duke football fans feel like. I guess Auburn and Alabama basketball fans can feel the same way. Kansas football fan shares our pain.

I

Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: Clemson Basketball

Jan 7, 2013, 10:29 AM

young team missing a couple of guys who could have helped. the closer we got in the comeback the more chances we squandered. I think that shows guys who are still learning and not comfortable with what to do yet.

after the coastal loss I dont expect this to get corrected this year. I just dont think these guys have it or will find it

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am a Clemson Basketball fan...

Jan 7, 2013, 10:33 AM

I hope without hope. Go Tigers!

Et tu, Mickey

Jan 7, 2013, 10:36 AM

Yes, it's frustrating but this is a very young team and this is Clemson Basketball. That means that we need to develop a program like Grobe does at WFU, with undervalued prospects that can be developed through experience to be able to compete as Jrs and Srs. If this team doesn't compete at a high level in 1-2 years then Brownell should be shown the door. OP left us in a bad spot. BB deserves an opportunity to fix it. We won't know for a while so in the meantime try to enjoy watching some talented kids grow up

Re: Et tu, Mickey

Jan 7, 2013, 11:07 AM

Pretty much agree. Brownell is a very good coach of X's and O's and is always teaching. I have been a BBall season ticket holder for 20+ years. He deserves a chance. Not sure we wouldn't be better off without Jennings.... especially next year by developing and giving young players the experience this year.

I agree and disagree

Jan 7, 2013, 12:27 PM [ in reply to Et tu, Mickey ]

I agree that we shouldnt run Brownell off yet. He should get the rest of this year and the next two before that decision is made.

BUT. I totally disagree that OP left us in a bad position. Brownell walked into a great situation. Clemson had just been to two consecutive NCAA's. We have just remodeled our gym. We had just competed for the ACC tourney title. We had just beaten our rival SIX straight times. At no other point in my lifetime has the Clemson basketball name been as big or as popular. Clemson was a program on the rise with an exciting style of play. Yet all Brownell has done is get worse each year. He took OP's players to the NCAA tourney and now we are looking at a 12-18 type season now. He has totally wrecked what little that OP had built up. He cant recruit to save his life. He better turn it around or he will need to go. I want to see just one game where his "X's and O's genius" actually schemes us to a win vs a good team.

Re: I agree and disagree

Jan 7, 2013, 1:25 PM

??? Just totally remodeled our gym? Do some research on our basketball facilities, then look up some of the other teams in our conference. A MAJOR overhaul is needed to ever recruit against the other ACC teams. And that crap we pulled with the LJ upgrades 10 years ago (really??? it's been 10 years???) was ridiculous. We kicked the can down the road when we had a chance to ante up and really change the culture of our basketball program. I'm really hoping D-Rad can fundraise for some big time facilities improvements in this area.

Some people only see what they want to see...***

Jan 7, 2013, 2:46 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

pretty big typo in there

Jan 7, 2013, 10:37 AM

Final Four...I wish. I remember watching that game vs UCLA on a 7" B&W Zenith as a 7 yr old.

Was wondering about that, not being familiar with it.

Jan 7, 2013, 10:44 AM

What was it actually, Sweet Sixteen?

Re: Was wondering about that, not being familiar with it.

Jan 7, 2013, 10:47 AM

I think it was final 8 as I recall

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 7, 2013, 10:56 AM

yes. west regional final, i think.

only 32 teams invited back then.

Fixed-Elite Eight***

Jan 7, 2013, 10:59 AM [ in reply to pretty big typo in there ]

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No typo - we played UCLA in the Elite 8 in 1980***

Jan 7, 2013, 12:40 PM [ in reply to pretty big typo in there ]

I agree with the "3 strikes" but

IMHO Jennings will continue to get PT until we are out of contention - then he sits it out while others get experience. Can't blame BB for using him as long as he might help win a few games. The team has such limited experience (esp. in the ACC) and few scorers, Brad has to give it a try and not write the season off too early.
Go Tigers....

From what I saw @ Coastal; Dook by 30***

Jan 7, 2013, 10:57 AM

Jan 7, 2013, 11:10 AM

Unfortunately you have nailed it. In 1990 or so, after we lost to Southwest Missouri in round 1 of tournament, I put a sign on my wall simply saying Clemson does not have an NCAA Division I basketball program. Nothing has changed much since then. It will not until the culture of accepting things like missed free throws, not blocking out, etc. is changed. That is not likely to happen as long as we get the 10th to 14th best recruits in the league. I like Brownell as a coach and he seems to be a good man. Time to turn the light on in recruiting or his tenure will be short and the revolving door will open again. Sad thing is, it doesn't have to be this way. Enough talent within 300 miles of here to be competitive and fan base will show up when the team looks like a Division I team.

Jan 7, 2013, 11:24 AM

Mickey:

I feel your pain. I have watched Clemson Basketball since Bobby Robert's was coaching. I believe Brad Brownell may be the best coach we have had. Rick Barnes would be his main competition. Brad's teams will continue to improve as the season progresses. I agree with the other comment that his teams will be good when he gets juniors and senior playing that he brought in. Clemson would be making a huge mistake by not allowing him the time to succeed. Once he has established the program with his players and the records improve which I believe they will, he will then be able to attract better players. Is this guaranteed? No, but I think there is a really good chance that oculd happen. To give him some assistance, we should have bulldozers running the day we play our last game this year and tear down Littlejohn. Build a 7,500 to 8,000 seat arena with corporate boxes etc for an ongoing revenue stream. If our football facilities looked like our basketball facilities, we wouldn't be playing in major bowl games. Let's give basketball a chance to succeed. Get it done Brad (and DRad)!

Jan 7, 2013, 2:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: Clemson Basketball ]

well the way it sounds here---we just need to kill the
basketball program and start football practice in
january------i follow all tiger sports and some of ya'll
are so spoiled by our"quick sucess with barnes and noble"
the basketball team will get there--hang tough!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 7, 2013, 11:18 AM

Not to be too picky, but if you're a BIG Clemson fan, how could you think the 1980 team went to the Final Four? Or misspell Elden's first name?

Brownell should not continue to get free passes for losses

Jan 7, 2013, 11:26 AM

Start of game woes: The confidence, energy level and motivation are not there. Why not?

Three point defense: Dropping off three point shooters for a "weak" inside double team is costing us big time.

Jennings and lineup management: Makes you wonder - no "team chemistry". Does it hurt player confidence?

Generating points off defense and hustle: We lack big time scorers so creating offense other ways is critical.

So yes, half court defense and half court offense seem to be more fundementally sound under Brownell. Unfortunately, our offensive talent level (i.e lack of shooters) limits the effectiveness of our half court offense.

Recruiting is ALWAYS part of the solution but adaptive coaching may help.

(Please insert the standard "Reply", what makes you think you know more than the coaches? I don't but it is painfully obvious what we are doing is not working. TigerNet is also a "discussion board" where questions and comments are meant to be aired.)

Fantastic post. You nailed it.***

Jan 7, 2013, 9:19 PM

Jan 7, 2013, 11:51 AM

Mickey--
You have got to realize the Coach Brownell is playing with a sparely delt hand. The feeling on MJ is shared by many Tiger fans; in one way or another. He has got to have time to stock a cupboard left very bare by OP and his assistants at Clemson. He has to find a couple of scorers somewhere in the HS basketball ranks; likely in Indiana, NYC, Kentucky or Illinois. He has to find a way to nurture them w/o injuries decimating the level of talent he has to utilize. And he has to sell Clemson basketball to the fan base and the recuits he needs. With the Duke game coming up, it will not get better on the road this week. I agree about the FSU game. But the fact we cannot score from the perimeter often enough and turn it over too much are killers. We aren't the only group with that problem! Check out UNC with 10 or 12 HS A-A on the roster and see how they did vs UVA last night. Let's pray he [BB] gets some more talent in the tent of his roster and gets the two injured well enough to contribute next year. You obviously realize that next year's team will have zero seniors; thanks Oliver and crew for such a bountiful cupboard.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, if your hero, OP "the PROGRAM BUILDER" hadn't left the

Jan 7, 2013, 11:55 AM

cupboard SOOOO bare when he ran off in the night...Maybe BB could afford to let Milt go, but seeing as he is prolly our most talented player, BB has to ride with what he got...

Well if Milt is our most talented player, that says all I

Jan 7, 2013, 12:17 PM

need to know about the recruiting ability of Brownell then. He might as well just move along.

How many 6-9 dudes who can shoot over 40% from 3

Jan 7, 2013, 2:02 PM

have you seen in a Clemson Uni? And Milt was the highest rated recruit "the Program Builder" signed, not BB...And if you don't like BB...Maybe it's time for you to move on...

Jan 7, 2013, 12:03 PM

My time perspective on Clemson B-ball goes back to late 60's with Coach Roberts, the Mahaffeys, Butch Zatazelo, and your perspective is generally the same as mine. I was present during the Skip Wise years, and I actually tutored for athletic deparmtment with Col. Robbins etc. and met Skip Wise, Tree, and the other players. What none of the temporarily successful Clemson coaches has ever been able to do is develop continuity, and take advantage of a successful season or two and get a good consistent pipeline of players. What I saw Saturday was a team with no experienced guards to take charge at the end of a close game. One of our two "experienced" players, Booker, played hard and well (except for missed free throws) and Milton Jennings the other, made three very bad plays at the end when the game was on the line. To give him his due, he did make a key 3 pointer, although his mistakes negated the positive. Coach Brownell is clearly the best "x and o's" coach at Clemson in my lifetime, and if he can get comparable or slighly less than comparable talent to Duke and UNC, he will make us competitive. Losing his first year in recruiting (i.e. no junior class) is very painful, and we are feeling the pain now. I think we have to give Brownell two more years after this year to be fair to him, because after his first year, the cupboard was pretty bare. Losing both Coleman and Blassingame for the season hasn't helped the cause. Being a Tiger fan, I will always hope that one day we will win the ACC Championship (i.e. the tournament) in my lifetime. My time is running out, but if notin mine, I hope it happens in my childrens' lifetime! Go Tigers!

Good X's and O's?? We couldn't inbound the basketball at

Jan 7, 2013, 9:23 PM

the end of the game down by 4. We had like 3 chances.. seriously??

Not really Mickey, Auburn just beat FSU so they know

Jan 7, 2013, 12:10 PM

what it feels like to beat a pretty terrible FSU team this year.

Brownell is totally overrated as "X and O genius"

Jan 7, 2013, 12:15 PM

at what point does his X's and O's genius scheme us to a good win?

FSU is a completely mediocre team this year. Look at the list of teams that has beaten them, yet we couldnt with this mastermind on our bench.

Agree. Can't even inbound the basketball with 3 chances

Jan 7, 2013, 9:25 PM

and the game on the line.

This year is going to be difficult (and we knew that)......

Jan 7, 2013, 3:11 PM

but I am concerned about next season as well.
Coleman and Blossomgame would potentially make this team better. But the bigger concern is our lack of interior depth. People can rail on Jennings (which I totally understand), but Booker seems to be doing what he can without any serviceable depth behind him. Nnoko and Smith may develop, but they can't give quality minutes right now. Sullivan is still finding his way and is undersized for a power forward.
What scares me is next year without Booker. Pretty sure the guards can find their way, although I fear that eventually we'll have another transfer (like Sapp) as Hall, Coleman, Filer, Roper and the freshman guard signed for next year can't all play at the same time (I'm assuming Harrison will be gone on his mission). McDaniels should be locked into the 3 spot along with Blossomgame...and McDaniels may move to the 2 some to play alongside Blossomgame, crowding the backcourt even more. We need to sign 2 big guys down low that can play and I'll feel a little better about next season.

To make the NIT this season would be a masterful coaching work. Seriously. Last year's team did not even make the NIT. I think it would help the "rebuilding" to do so this year, but they can't lose games like the one on Saturday at home. The NIT is more difficult to get into these days, as they have to accept small conference regular season champions that don't win their tournaments.
After Duke, there are opportunities to win and get back on track with home games against Virginia and Wake. Those will likely be must-wins. To get back to 2-2 in the conference would be big. The schedule is not friendly on the back end (more home games up front), so it is critical to win the next two after Duke and gain some confidence.
On another note, posters should save the whining during the Duke game and accept the reality that it would take a miracle for this particular team to beat them this season. Miracles can happen, but I'm already looking ahead to the Virginia game as a more important game for this team to keep their head above water. Hopefully we can find a way to win at FSU in a couple of weeks and return the favor. Games against the likes of BC, Va. Tech, UVA, Wake, and GT are where this team needs to show up and get some wins. Plenty of those on the schedule. Maybe steal one or two against the N.C. States, Marylands, Miamis and UNCs of the world. Get in the 7, 8 or 9 conference win range. That would be good for this particular team.
Next season, there needs to be improvement for Brownell....unfortunately it is only going to get more difficult from a competition perspective (Syracuse and Pitt come in).

same old story time and time again....we simply don't

Jan 7, 2013, 3:14 PM

have enough talent to compete...or when they mature it's time for them to graduate and we start over.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 7, 2013, 5:02 PM

Outside of Shyatt years, this has been a respectable BB school for 40 years. Analogies to Duke and Kansas football are rediculous. Outside of Florida and Ohio State, don't know too many football schools with consistently excellent BB programs.

Do what SCAR football has done? We've had a consistent

Jan 7, 2013, 5:15 PM

stretch of winning seasons before, won a regular season conference championship ONCE in history, and found ways to lose in general with great regularity, so I'm not sure I follow that comparison.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To those critics who say the fans do not support the team -

Jan 7, 2013, 6:03 PM

One thing will cure all of the "lack of support" problems - Winning. Start winning and you will fill Little John every night. Win an ACC Tournament, heck, win one tournament game (that would be an improvement). No one follows a loser. That is the world we live in.

We have a basketball team? Seriously?***

Jan 7, 2013, 6:26 PM

Home Atmosphere

Jan 7, 2013, 8:52 PM

Something that is fixable is the lack of fan energy near the court. The administration needs to find some way to put lots of high energy fans and students near the court.

All of those empty seats, and no energy fans near the court drive me nuts.

There were a lot of fans there and the students were

Jan 7, 2013, 9:15 PM

still on break.... you won't have energy when you're down by 20 right from the tip.

We got our DOORS BLOWN OFF FROM THE TIP

Jan 7, 2013, 9:13 PM

There's little to no excuse for that. It's the ACC HOME opener. Why did it take us so long to guard FSU and play some defense? Yes, FSU couldn't miss to start the game, but I saw no emotion. I saw no LEADERS. Heck, does D Book think he's automatically going to get drafted because his big brother is there? Clutch free-throw misses down the stretch by a SENIOR. I don't have the answers but something has got to change. You say FSU has lost to some bad teams this year? Well, they looked like gang-busters against us. They looked to be on another level athletically. I expected this to be a tough year.... but will it get any better??

Still complaining about Milt getting another shot, Mick?

Jan 9, 2013, 8:38 AM

Get over yourself, bud, and support every last player on the team. The guy didn't kill anybody, rape anybody, drive drunk down the road, beat up a man or woman, or anything else like that. He had a grades issue, an issue with Brownell on the court Brownell said himself wouldn't have got most players suspended, and he got arrested with a small amount of pot. That is Milt's horrible sins as a person that should have got him kicked out in your mind months before the guy becomes a Clemson graduate and begins the next phase of his life that won't include a basketball in it unless he is playing pick up ball. The guy hasn't lived up to people's expectations as a basketball player, and I'm sure he feels the same. Time to move on, Mick, and support the guy or read once again what Brownell had to say about him after his decision to keep him on the team after the arrest.

Re: Still complaining about Milt getting another shot, Mick?

Jan 9, 2013, 8:42 AM

nm

You know I don't speak Spanish.***

Jan 9, 2013, 8:45 AM

Replies: 43
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic