Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Dabo says Clemson "might as well be in the SEC"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 56
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Dabo says Clemson "might as well be in the SEC"

Dec 28, 2012, 1:44 PM

Dabo says Clemson "might as well be in the SEC"

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney talks about Clemson's schedule, and has plenty to say about what makes the SEC a power conference and the SEC's television contract. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Dabo says Clemson "might as well be in the SEC"

Dec 28, 2012, 1:46 PM

Well Dabo, first you have to hold a opponent to less than 70 points in a bowl game, before you should worry about a national championship #firstthingsfirst

1 game does NOT tradition make.

Dec 28, 2012, 1:59 PM

He needs to learn how to win the "big" games.

Re: 1 game does NOT tradition make.

Dec 28, 2012, 2:09 PM

agreed, a must win game for Dabo and Clemson.

Dec 28, 2012, 2:37 PM

Not even close to being a must win. Clemson is a major underdog to the SEC in this one. A Clemson win would be Dabo's biggest win since he has been at Clemson. To beat an LSU team that was one play from being in the National Title game would be huge. If Clemson puts a huge whupping on LSU then they should be top 8 preseason next year. FEAR DA PAW !!!!!!

Dec 29, 2012, 11:01 AM

You are very accurate in your assessment. This game is no "must win" game for us. If we win, it would be great for our recruiting, our morale, the reassurance that maybe we are moving in the right direction, but we go into this game as big under dogs, and we are not expected to win in most of the pundit's minds. I think we can, but don't forget that we operate in an environment that most sec teams don't have to deal with, from a conference standpoint and from a university athletic standards standpoint.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

how is the second best team in the ACC underdogs

Dec 29, 2012, 11:06 AM [ in reply to Re: 1 game does NOT tradition make. ]

to the 3rd best team in the SEC?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

11-2 or 10-3 (big difference)

Dec 29, 2012, 1:42 PM [ in reply to Re: 1 game does NOT tradition make. ]

losing this game means you took a step BACK from
last year...but winning the game means you took a
step forward.

IMO

Re: You have got to beat them. Playing them is nothing.***

Dec 28, 2012, 2:44 PM [ in reply to 1 game does NOT tradition make. ]

Dec 29, 2012, 5:07 PM [ in reply to 1 game does NOT tradition make. ]

you learn with better players

Dec 28, 2012, 3:04 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Dabo says Clemson "might as well be in the SEC" ]

Incredible, just incredible! Our coach is asked a question and he gives an answer which includes where he wants to take our program and what do we hear, "Well, Dabo, you need to hold an opponent to less than 70 points in a bowl game, etc." INCREDIBLE COMMENT.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 29, 2012, 11:02 AM

You are so right. What an idiotic retort! I really hope that person is not a Clemson fan.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I love Dabo***

Dec 28, 2012, 2:13 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's your first problem***

Dec 28, 2012, 2:15 PM

You know what...

Dec 28, 2012, 2:52 PM

I'd love to beat SC 50 years in a row. I'd love to have the #1 recruiting class. I'd love to go 14-0 every year. But you know what? It ain't gonna happen. Apparently, that's what it's gonna take to make all of you happy.

Were you happier under TB? Or perhaps you were more satisfied in 98?

Dabo is turning the program around. Yeah I get it...losing 4 in a row to SC sucks. But Spurrier is a great coach and has been there longer and has had time to turn that program around.

Dabo is a great guy. He loves Clemson. He loves his players. He loves the fans. He's a great face of the program and he hires great staff around him. He is a h3ll of a recruiter. He's taken us to 2 conference championships and a BCS bowl. He's had us ranked in the top 25 consistently. He's had back-to-back 10 win seasons with another one on the horizon.

Can you not see the direction we were heading before, and the direction now? What is it gonna take to convince you people that Dabo is building something here.

Ok, he ain't Saban. But would you have been happier with Saban? Who then, since you clearly know everything there is to know, would have been a better coaching hire and would have produced more in the last 4 years?

I noticed you said spurrier is a GREAT coach, but

Dec 28, 2012, 10:45 PM

dabo is a GREAT guy...

all that talk and you never said Dabo is a great coach...interesting

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I noticed you said spurrier is a GREAT coach, but

Dec 29, 2012, 3:37 PM

I thought all the facts about him as a recruiter, having us consistently ranked, and taking us to conference championships spoke for itself

Re: You know what...

Dec 29, 2012, 1:56 AM [ in reply to You know what... ]

Totally agree with you CU2013!!!!

Go Tigers!!!

Dec 29, 2012, 11:03 AM [ in reply to You know what... ]

Absolutely right on!!!

Dec 29, 2012, 1:07 PM [ in reply to You know what... ]

Dabo is a nice guy, a good man. I don't think anyone questions that. However, the issue of his talent as a coach is still open to question. In my opinion, his failure to recognize potential major problems in our strength and conditioning and player-development programs is troubling. I hope I'm wrong, but I fear this game has already been lost. During the game look at the physical difference between the LSU players and our players. Coach Swinney is paid to be an expert in all phases of the game, but seems blind to what (in my humble opinion) are major problems that are holding the program back. Ifear this will be painfully obvious New Year's eve. Hope I'm wrong, and if so, it'll be the best tasting crow I've ever eaten.

50% Atlantic Titles, over 50% against USC, 50% in bowls

Dec 30, 2012, 2:44 PM [ in reply to You know what... ]

It's a simple formula. The rest will take care of itself.

Bowden was good at 1 of these things. Dabo is good at 1 of these things.

and SCAR is 6-8 vs. ACC while CU is 10-10 vs SEC***

Dec 31, 2012, 3:12 AM

Re: That's your first problem***

Dec 28, 2012, 3:08 PM [ in reply to That's your first problem*** ]

And do you know your "first" problem? It is called attitude!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

/facepalm***

Dec 28, 2012, 2:20 PM

Uh oh....***

Dec 28, 2012, 2:22 PM

null

Anyone who thinks this is a must win doesn't get it...

Dec 28, 2012, 2:30 PM

Must we win this game to save Dabo's job? NO!
Must we win this game to bring in better recruits? NO!
Must we win this game to shut up the coots? NO! (they beat us, remember.)
Must we win this game to become nationally relevant? NO! (win 11 reg season games next year and that happens.)
Must we win this game to be a top 20 pre-season team? NO!

When you're the underdog and everyone, including 99.9% on this board are picking you to lose, then this is in no way, shape or form, a "must win." That's ridiculous. What this is, is a chance to show the college football community that we're tough, competitive, and capable of pulling an upset. But a MUST WIN? Come on. To who?

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Re:Then, when must we start winning the games that

Dec 28, 2012, 2:46 PM

count? When do you get tired of losing bowl games?

Re: Anyone who thinks this is a must win doesn't get it...

Dec 28, 2012, 3:25 PM [ in reply to Anyone who thinks this is a must win doesn't get it... ]

POST OF THE YEAR, RU4GOD2! I also note your commitment to "all things Tiger Nation" by being a "paying subscriber" to TigerNet, unlike a lot of posters here. I am sure the TigerNet staff appreciates it. Sorry if I over stepped my bounds, TigerNet staff.

Its a must win game for the fans

Dec 28, 2012, 6:39 PM [ in reply to Anyone who thinks this is a must win doesn't get it... ]

A lot of us want to know that we are on the right track. We have not beat any real good teams this year...we beat a bunch of gimmes...this game will set the tone for next year. If we lose this game and then happen to lose again against the dawgs to start next year Dabo simply may lose the fan base. This game is extremely important and if you think not then sit back and watch.

it's like he reads all my tigernet posts!

Dec 28, 2012, 2:38 PM

I am influential!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did anyone actually read his comments?

Dec 28, 2012, 2:43 PM

He was just making a joke that because we will have played 4 SEC teams within two years and 3 in a row, "we might as well be in the SEC." Nothing more. I can't believe people are actually reading into this, but I guess if it serves their agenda, they'll go to any lengths to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Re: Did anyone actually read his comments?

Dec 28, 2012, 2:49 PM

Seems to me that people just don't understand Dabo. He's pretty laid back and make these kind of comments all the time, and every time somebody blows it way out of proportion.

Dec 28, 2012, 8:51 PM

If there hadn't become a need to be forced to read so many stupid things that he says, we could stand to let one pass without comment occasionally. If he were able to coach with his mouth, Clemson would be national champs.

I loved the one about Carolina and USC not being located in

Dec 29, 2012, 12:02 AM

Cootlumbia. Bet that really upset you coots to hear the truth and what every fan in America including the SEC knows.

Re: I loved the one about Carolina and USC not being located in

Dec 30, 2012, 1:56 PM

Well, I guess I would just look at the scoreboard for the last 4 years and call us winners.

Dec 28, 2012, 3:29 PM [ in reply to Did anyone actually read his comments? ]

GOOD POST!

Dec 28, 2012, 7:20 PM [ in reply to Did anyone actually read his comments? ]

that should be tigernets motto......

making mountains out of molehills since 1998

Hint, Hint

Dec 28, 2012, 2:58 PM

I like the poke or jab trying to get a little possible positioning to perhaps get the ball rolling in trying to get in the SEC. Honestly I don't want Clemson begging to get in, but if we can show that we can beat and compete with SEC opponets consistently, then all the media and conferences will have no choice but to have national respect for us. I really would only be cool with Clemson going to the SEC only to keep and sustain the interest of having more southern rivalry and competition in this region.

Dec 28, 2012, 3:18 PM

Someone needs to clue Dabo in on the fact that FSU didn't join the ACC until 1992 and Miami joined in 2001. That means an ACC team has won the National Championship 4 times in the past 30 years (Clemson, GT, FSUx2).

Dec 28, 2012, 3:24 PM

What he's saying is that current ACC teams, regardless of prior conference affiliation, won 10 or 11 national championships in the past 30 years. He's not saying that they necessarily won them while a member of the ACC, just that they won them period.

Dec 28, 2012, 3:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Dabo says Clemson "might as well be in the SEC" ]

ACC has only won 3 times in past 30 years. ...1981 was 31 years ago.

"Fruedian Slip" ???

Dec 28, 2012, 3:33 PM

Of course the blind squirrels around here neglect to acknowledge going to the SEC would mean returning to .500 in football...course it would help Brownell's Boys to come in second to Kentucky alot of years.

Whonarebthe 11 ACC national champs from the ACC

Dec 28, 2012, 7:16 PM

He referred to from the last 30 years.

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe he's talking about

Dec 28, 2012, 7:45 PM

basketball too! But Miami won 3 or 4, Fla St 2, Ga Tech shared one and we had one. And maybe he's counting ND's in 88! It's a stretch for sure.

Re: Whonarebthe 11 ACC national champs from the ACC

Dec 29, 2012, 8:50 AM [ in reply to Whonarebthe 11 ACC national champs from the ACC ]

There are roughly 9-10 if you start with ours and count Miami. Add one more if ND is counted. ACC math.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"You don't get control of the game when you're air-balling layups." - Brent Venables

Dabo has to do everything around here...

Dec 28, 2012, 3:46 PM

Even get us to the SEC!!!

Dec 28, 2012, 4:18 PM

Not a must win by any means but I feel like we need to keep it competitive. If we have another debacle bowl game, beating an Aaron Murray lead (and likely Top 5 ranked)UGA team right out of the gates will be a very tall task...Probably going to be a long 2014 season regardless of how we fair in the ACC if we lose both games.

Dec 28, 2012, 5:20 PM

on the money; just as dabo usually is. the sec has had more than two dominate teams--ala, lsu, fla, georg, ark, tcu, tenn(traditionally), southcar, aub(not this year).

Dec 28, 2012, 5:25 PM

TCU ???

Your Name Says It All "SIDELINER"***

Dec 28, 2012, 5:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Dabo says Clemson "might as well be in the SEC" ]

"Several years"?????

Dec 28, 2012, 7:33 PM

Dabo says the SEC has been the power house conference the last several years? What planet has he been on the past 10 or 15 years? Didn't you go to Alabama? Just say it.... The SEC is and will be one if the top conferences every year. Clemson should do everything in their power to join the SEC.

Dec 28, 2012, 10:08 PM

11 National Championships in 30 years, try 4 for the acc.

Try 1 (yes ONE) conference championship in 110 years.

Dec 29, 2012, 12:09 AM

And no hope for any others, LOL!!

Dec 29, 2012, 8:58 AM

Recruiting is why he said this. When SEC schools use the conference to their advantage he has to use this to counter that argument.

My bags are packed

Dec 29, 2012, 9:27 AM

I'm ready to go. The SEC bus is outside the door, oh babe, I don't hate to gooooh. I'm leavin' this basketbal conference, ain't never comin' back again...except for warm up non-conference play...
Tune by John Denver

Dec 29, 2012, 2:21 PM

Apparently being in the SEC means Play an SEC team, wait 3 months, play another SEC team, wait a month, Play an SEC team, wait a year, Play an SEC team.

Dabo is clueless

Dec 30, 2012, 9:34 AM

When he ends up 1-3 against those SEC teams, he'll be reminded he's not ready for prime time.

Replies: 56
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic