Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A word from an old fart
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

A word from an old fart

Dec 22, 2012, 1:43 AM

A few years ago I returned to Clemson after a long absence. I walked around campus and loved every minute of it. A bit surprised at so many changes, I even got lost. Busses? you got to be kidding me , in my day we hiked. Caught our breath , then hiked some more . Lord help you if you did not incorporate geography in your schedule.

I returned shortly thereafter for a football game (2006 I think) and was appalled. The big glitzy video screens, the mechanical tiger roar, TIGER RAG being played as a recording with a perfectly good band sitting right there, and then this totally foreign WOO HOO incorporated into long traditional cheers. I felt I was on another planet. Perhaps in a pro stadium.

Not only appalled, horrified. This was not my Death Valley.

Over the years I have come back 2 or three times a year for spring games/baseball games and the thrill of the Valley.

Like everything else, one has to adapt to change . I love the Valley once again.

And, hold on to your seat, I even embrace the WoooHooo after sitting above the student section this year.

We really can't fight change, but there will allways be something in those hills

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A word from an old fart

Dec 22, 2012, 3:36 AM

Just imagine the shock for a guy (me) who was a "rat" in 1957!Yes it has changed,but even with all of that change the love affair never ends! The pain of a poor season in any sport still chills to the bones! I was there in Jaunary 1958 when we did everything but beat LSU on the scoreboard.Paul Detzel was the coach and their defense featured Beau Strange and the Chinese Bandits.We put the ball on the ground twice and lost 7-0! Go Tigers. Our time is here!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 22, 2012, 4:39 AM

I will never embrace or say WHOO HOO!!! It should be banned!!! Somethings should never change.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm with you on this one. CU '71. ****

Dec 22, 2012, 5:54 AM

If you consider yourself an "old fart, " then, I suppose

Dec 22, 2012, 7:04 AM

I will have to deem myself a "living zombie." lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If you consider yourself an "old fart, " then, I suppose

Dec 22, 2012, 9:57 AM

Lets not take this "old fart" issue too far! My time at Death Valley was from 1946-1950. Basically I like all the modern changes that have occurred on campus.But having not been able to attend recent games I have to depend on my Clemson Grad son for an evaluation of the "WOO HOO" issue.
So, it's negative!

One time I was in the Raleigh- Durham Airport for a trip to Washington, DC and Coach Howard was also boparding the plane. Going to an IPTAY meeting in DC. We sat together and he talked about the LSU game and said that based on practice before leaving for the bowl game that he didn't think the team"could stay on the field" with the LSU tigers.Also told several recruiting stories about the inability to "truly evaluate" an athlete.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If you consider yourself an "old fart, " then, I suppose

Dec 22, 2012, 10:11 AM [ in reply to If you consider yourself an "old fart, " then, I suppose ]

Me too, '66! Oh, I need to vent. I live down on the coast and have been watching Tigers play BB since Press Maravich (Pete's father) was coach, and the game against Chanticleers (a french chicken) was the worst I have ever seen Clemson play, even though there were many blow-out games against big National Powers, there was no fire in this team, except for Booker, who also seemed to give up in the second half. However humiliating, the
worst thing, was brownie not even getting angry for their lacksadial play! I hope it it is a one time thing, as I had enjoyed their other games!
GO TIGERS BEAT LSU!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 22, 2012, 10:28 AM

I bet you had to swim Lake Hartwell just to get to class

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 22, 2012, 10:34 AM

some of us old farts remember when there wasn't a lake hartwell

Kinda like the end of "Deliverance".***

Dec 22, 2012, 10:40 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

uphill, both ways, in the snow

Dec 22, 2012, 2:34 PM [ in reply to Re: A word from an old fart ]

!

I was afraid it was going to be, "Pull my finger!" :-O *****

Dec 22, 2012, 10:45 AM

Dec 22, 2012, 1:24 PM

I read. I don't post. But, I must say this is the best post I've ever read on T-Net.

Dec 22, 2012, 1:32 PM

Having to hump it across campus to get to class became an issue, especially if you were burning a heater back in the day, and ran into a hot young coed in a halter top. Those were the days (mid -70's, post USAF).

That was absolutely awesome***

Dec 22, 2012, 4:06 PM

i'm with you right up to the woo hoo, i refuse to woo hoo!***

Dec 22, 2012, 2:18 PM

I was a dedicated hater of the WoooHooo

Dec 22, 2012, 2:40 PM

Until I sat among the students. Being in the middle of it was pretty cool. So I said "what the HeII, give it to em ...it is THEIR time, THEIR day in the sun, let them love and cherish every moment .

The woo hoo during tiger rag SUX!!!!!!!******

Dec 22, 2012, 4:19 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

I wholeheartedly agree*****************

Dec 22, 2012, 4:53 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds like a bunch of drunken rednecks in the ..........

Dec 22, 2012, 4:55 PM [ in reply to The woo hoo during tiger rag SUX!!!!!!!****** ]

trailer park on Saturday night.

Dec 22, 2012, 4:33 PM

Embraced the woohoo?

Figures.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic