Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
History Lesson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

History Lesson

Dec 21, 2012, 12:26 PM

There was a time from the late 70's (Fuller era) thru the early 90's (Ford departure & Hatfield hire) when Clemson was vilified by our opponents and glorified by our followers. Clemson routinely thumped our competition thru the Ford era. We were merciless and vicious hitters. We won all the big games. Rival schools and media whined and moaned that Clemson cheated, recruited thugs, and ate 'roids for breakfast, lunch and dinner. They reasoned that we must - we were just unacceptably dominant.

By all non-Clemson opponents, we were hated. We were also respected. By AP and UPI pollsters. By recruits. We were feared by our competition. Lawrence Taylor was once asked, as a NY Giant star, had he ever been intimidated? He said once. As a freshman at UNC, on a road trip to Clemson, when the Tigers ran down the Hill and the crowd erupted.

For too many now, the Tiger Net board has become the haven of the whiners and the moaners. They say the SEC cheats, and the SEC players are thugs. They hate it when ESPN and other media states the obvious - the best of the SEC owns the rest of the country for now ... for now. The same charges that were leveled at Clemson back in the glory days.

I am first and foremost a Tiger. And I am also a sportsman who gives credit where credit is due. Hats off to the SEC. If we beat LSU, we will receive the credit we will have earned. To the victor goes the spoils. Accept it. Man up. And win baby! Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: History Lesson

Dec 21, 2012, 1:20 PM

Amen brother. Ditto and go Tigers! We're coming back!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2012, 1:30 PM

Clemon team now is as good as any team in that time frame with the exception of the 1981 team! Don't act so old!

Dec 21, 2012, 8:35 PM

No this team would not stack up with those teams because of OL, "D", and kicking game. Offense skill players - yes, but that hssn't led to domination like we did in the 80's.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2012, 9:25 PM [ in reply to Re: History Lesson ]

you are full of sheet or dumb as hell this team would not score more than 17 on any team from 87-92 and that powerhouse offence under west would score 30 or this years defence

Truer words have never been typed. Go Tigers!***

Dec 21, 2012, 1:35 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2012, 1:37 PM

AN OUTSTANDING AND ACCURATE POST, SocMan2!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2012, 1:53 PM

Good post;till your last sentence.
If we beat LSU,ESPN will spend all of two minutes saying how uninspired LSU was,or did not want to be there.Then they will switch to the New Years day games with UGA,and USC and what other SEC schools would be playing that day.
That is about as much credit as I suspect we will get.

Dec 21, 2012, 11:03 PM

Its Christmas time, lets try to be positive although I agree with your last sentence.

Dec 21, 2012, 1:55 PM

Bravo. Send this man straight to the hall of fame.

Dec 21, 2012, 1:58 PM

well said.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2012, 2:19 PM

You should be banned from Tnet. Much too sensible.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

SEC best? YES SEC Bought and spoiled, YES!

Dec 21, 2012, 2:26 PM

I want Clemson to play mean tough physical Fb like the 80's but i will still complain about the ESPN's love fest with the SEC and their unwillingness to admit some of their success was bought with espn $ and favortism.

Re: SEC best? YES SEC Bought and spoiled, YES!

Dec 21, 2012, 8:43 PM

> I want Clemson to play mean tough physical Fb like
> the 80's but i will still complain about the ESPN's
> love fest with the SEC and their unwillingness to
> admit some of their success was bought with espn $
> and favortism.

How was the SEC's success bought with ESPN $ and favoritism?

Get off here man, go back where you came from.***

Dec 21, 2012, 9:37 PM

Dec 21, 2012, 8:27 PM

Thank you so much! I have said the same thing on this board many times and been vilified for it. What we now accuse Carolina of......that's the exact same thing they said about us in the 1970's--1980's when we were seriously kicking some azzes, and laying the wood to people on both sides of the ball. We have lost most of our physical presence and intimidation factor over the last 20 years or so. Yeah, I for one was impressed as #### when Swearinger spun around Ellington, because I remember when we saw several plays like that each game, and the Tigers were the ones dishing out the punishment, not the ones on the receiving end!!

Well said sir, well said...***

Dec 21, 2012, 8:38 PM

Very true, Those were the glory days, a different time,

Dec 21, 2012, 8:50 PM

It was almost boring, we expected to dominate the ACC and we did .

Now we have the interwebs and anyone can "claim" to be a Tiger .

The loss of Danny was the beginning of the demise of Clemson dominance. I was very upset . I left the state around that time and I am ashamed to say I left the Tigers for a while.

But I eventally returned home to visit, went to THE UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA and walked around the most beautifull campus in the south . Got choked up. I got my head back.
Began coming back for some games.

I was in school during those glory days . Went to the Orange Bowl as a student . The best days of my life have been at Clemson.

Those were the glory days, we cannot go back. But we sure as heII can go forward.

I like our progress .

Win or lose, I am still a son of dear old Clemson !

Pell build it Danny drove it and the admin killed hell out

Dec 21, 2012, 9:32 PM

it

Re: Pell build it Danny drove it and the admin killed hell out

Dec 21, 2012, 9:34 PM

very well said,,so sad, but so true!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Pell build it Danny drove it and the admin killed hell out

Dec 21, 2012, 9:39 PM

Pell built it, Danny drove it, and the NCAA killed it.

pretty much sums it up !***

Dec 21, 2012, 9:36 PM [ in reply to Pell build it Danny drove it and the admin killed hell out ]

Hats off to the entire conference?

Dec 21, 2012, 10:11 PM

I don't thinks that's necessary. How bout hats off to Bama, LSU, and sometimes Florida? What has the rest of the conference done?

Dec 21, 2012, 10:58 PM

Make me want to put down this beer and do something! Keep it coming my friend! Go Tigers!

Dec 21, 2012, 11:06 PM

great thoughts, i live and will die a tiger fan, we'll be back sooner than later. thanks and go tigers!!!!!!!!!!
f usuck and their fairweather fans they are only there for the goodtimes while we are committed to our beloved univ. no matter what

The problem is that the coots

Dec 22, 2012, 1:13 AM

are,whether we choose to admit it or not, are having the "good times." They have whipped # 1 Alabama, Georgia, Gators, UT, and us 4 freaking times in a row. We talk about measuring ourselves against the SEC - heck, just measure us against our arch enemy. 2013 is really going to be a measuring stick. A great start would be to whip LSU - upsets happen. Clemson can beat these guys.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 23, 2012, 8:18 AM [ in reply to Re: History Lesson ]

Well, I've definitely been committed to Clemson since I was 10 years old, but I sure want to see some real improvement in our football program (read that as being able to keep up with, and compete with the 'big boys')before much longer. BTW, why do you think Carolina has "fairweather fans who are only there for the goodtimes"? If I'm not mistaken, didn't they sell out all home games during that 0-21 streak about ten years ago? That truly baffles me, because if we hit even 0-10, I ain't coming.

great post***

Dec 22, 2012, 9:23 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I bet 75% of tigernet doesn't remember the glory years...***

Dec 22, 2012, 10:11 AM

No it isn't

Dec 23, 2012, 8:22 AM

We have no D

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic