Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Update: Secondary coach search update
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

Football Update: Secondary coach search update

Dec 17, 2012, 1:26 PM

Secondary coach search update

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is bound to make the natives restless...

Dec 17, 2012, 1:33 PM

I hope B Dawk unplugs his fax machine.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Excuse me? I don't go down to your work and tell you how to flip the burger!"

I asked Jeff Davis that question............

Dec 17, 2012, 1:42 PM

a few years back about Levon Kirkland coaching at CU and he gave me the exact same answer.

its a nice way to say..

Dec 17, 2012, 1:59 PM

I don't want anyone who knows more than me.

lol

Re: Disagree

Dec 17, 2012, 2:43 PM

We want someone who has a passion to coach and someone who has the ability to teach others, not just someone with great ability who played at a high level himself.

It continues to be amazing that so many fans assume that because a guy was a great player in a Tiger uniform and went on to be a star in the pros, that he would necessarily have the desire or ability to be a great coach.

Actual examples of guys who were truly great players and then became great coaches are pretty rare.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

While I completely agree with everything you said,

Dec 17, 2012, 3:17 PM

I don't think there is a hire out there that could make our DB's performance any worse.

Plus I'd imagine that a former Pro would do well recruiting young kids with big ambitions.

Don't think that hire is going to happen anyway...

you're right

Dec 17, 2012, 4:03 PM

I don't either...
It just bothers me that Dabo won't hire,or consider
hiring anyone whos played here before his coaching
days at CU...especially after several have expressed
interest.
Makes me wonder if Dabo doesn't want anything to do
with Clemson's glory days.
(hey, thats just me!!)

Re: you're right

Dec 17, 2012, 7:57 PM

Fill me in Who has expressed interest here in coaching that preceded Dabo.

Dec 18, 2012, 8:24 AM

You know he can't. Just likes to spew crap out of his arsehole.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Dec 18, 2012, 10:42 AM

Yep to some people who call themselves Clemson fans, Dabo will never be good enough. The ones who make the best coaches are the good players who had to work at it or even those who were scrubs. Lou Holtz wasn't even a player - he was a manager. These guys get a better picture of what it takes. Greatness on the field doesn't necessarily translate to the personality it takes to be a coach. Can you really see Brian Dawkins going around kissing up to some high school hotshot that already thinks he is so great that Dawkins couldn't carry his jock strap??/

Danny Ford and Frank Howard being two rarities.

Dec 17, 2012, 3:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Disagree ]

Both were outstanding OL at Bama.

Re: Danny Ford and Frank Howard being two rarities.

Dec 17, 2012, 4:08 PM

They were both "very good" players, but neither would be classifed as "great" ... no NFL careers or even particularly strong college honors like All American.

It helps to have been a "good" player although even that's not a necessity. But, guys who were great frequently don't know why they were great and get frustrated trying to understand why the players they coach can't be just as great as they were.

One exception, I suppose could be Stever Spurrier who was certainly great as a college player ... however, he sucked as a pro both as a player and a coach.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Danny Ford and Frank Howard being two rarities.

Dec 17, 2012, 7:04 PM

SN said it back then...LOL

Danny Ford and Frank Howard weren't mulitiple times pro...

Dec 17, 2012, 7:50 PM [ in reply to Danny Ford and Frank Howard being two rarities. ]

bowlers.

Re: Disagree

Dec 17, 2012, 7:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Disagree ]

The thing with Dawkins is that everyone said he would coach up the younger players, and be the field coach. He is very knowledgeable about the game and not just a natural athlete. I think he would make a great fundamentals coach. I think the thing that he won't want to do is fly around the country and stroke the egos of a bunch of teenagers trying to get them to come to Clemson. The recruiting part doesn't seem to be something that he would put up with for long.

Re: I asked Jeff Davis that question............

Dec 17, 2012, 6:59 PM [ in reply to I asked Jeff Davis that question............ ]

I believe Levon Kirkland is coaching a high school team somewhere near Greenville now, and it was a start up program, too, so I would say he does have a passion to coach.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2012, 6:59 PM [ in reply to I asked Jeff Davis that question............ ]

I believe Levon Kirkland is coaching a high school team somewhere near Greenville now, and it was a start up program, too, so I would say he does have a passion to coach.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2012, 7:00 PM

Sorry for the double post.

Dec 18, 2012, 4:05 AM [ in reply to Re: I asked Jeff Davis that question............ ]

And if you ask the coaches who compete against him his defense is a complete dumpster fire and not because it lacks talent (which they do) but because they have no idea what they are doing the field....

Dec 18, 2012, 8:17 AM

I have not asked anybody how they are doing, but I will take you at your word. Remember, it was a start up program, and sometimes it takes a little time to get what you want, or he may just not be coaching material. Remember this, though, almost all successful coaches were players, and Dawkins was an elite player, and so was Kirkland, not just at Clemson but for many years in the pros. Kids eat that up, and I can't help but think either of them would be a huge asset to our program, if they wanted to be.

Totally different world

Dec 18, 2012, 6:06 AM [ in reply to Re: I asked Jeff Davis that question............ ]

One of my cousins quit his DII coaching position and took a high school coaching job because of the hours involved meant he never got to see his family. He said between recruiting, planning, etc.he might get two weeks off a year, and that was at a DII job. Imagine what it would be like at a major program like Clemson.

Re: Totally different world

Dec 18, 2012, 8:26 AM

It is not for the faint of heart. It is grueling, but some people are driven by that. I doubt Dawkins life was very slow when he was a player. Most don't understand how much time and commitment is involved in being a player, either. It is a full time job, on top of school in college, and it certainly is a full time job as a pro. He may be tired of that grind, though. Some, however, never want to give it up, like Bobby Bowden, Joe Pa, etc.

Make him Special Assistant in Charge of KPTFO

Dec 17, 2012, 1:51 PM

That way he doesn't have to be a full time coach and he doesn't count against the 9.

Re: Football Update: Secondary coach search update

Dec 17, 2012, 1:57 PM

To be honest if your Dawkins or Kirkland your a millionaire. Set for life. You just finished up a lifetime of football. If that were me. I am ready to relax for a while

^^^^^ This ^^^^^

Dec 17, 2012, 3:05 PM

I'd probably want a few years with the family, then, maybe I would slowly get back into it after a few years away.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2012, 2:00 PM

Doesn't want to coach college? He's a DB coach in high school now.

You mean like for his kids' team or he moved to take a job?***

Dec 17, 2012, 5:06 PM

Re: You mean like for his kids' team or he moved to take a job?***

Dec 17, 2012, 5:24 PM

I think his son is on the team. High school in Colorado.

Dec 17, 2012, 5:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Football Update: Secondary coach search update ]

You gotta think, an FBS assistant coach involves hours and hours of recruiting, watching film, and clinics. Not really the same as helping out a local HS.

This is why reporters shouldn't ask questions based what...

Dec 17, 2012, 7:49 PM

some fans send them in an email. And doesn't Dawkins have a TV gig now with like the NFL network.

Re: Re: Football Update: Secondary coach search update

Dec 17, 2012, 7:49 PM

Really look at your post and think.

Dec 17, 2012, 7:54 PM

BD is on ESPN and appears to want to be in broadcasting. I doubt being an Assisant coach is high in his list

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic