Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mickey Plyler's Blog: Bowl Tickets
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

Mickey Plyler's Blog: Bowl Tickets

Dec 17, 2012, 11:09 AM

Bowl Tickets

Bowl Tickets
In the late 1970s, South Carolina fans had a bumper sticker that read, "Directions to Clemson? North until you smell it. West until you step in it."

Clemson fans countered with one that said," Directions to Clemson? Ask a bowl scout dummy."

Clemson fans have a great natio

Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Getting rid of the tie ins is the key to fixing the system

Dec 17, 2012, 11:11 AM

That and an eight or, even better, sixteen team playoff

Message was edited by: CTiger423®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

agreed

Dec 17, 2012, 1:43 PM

but the coaches won't go for it....they want to sell to their fanbases a win at the end of the yr means something and many have bonuses in their contracts for bowl wins. Coaches want to sell a false sense of accomplishment to get more $.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Get rid of the tie ins AND required ticket allotments

Dec 18, 2012, 9:21 AM [ in reply to Getting rid of the tie ins is the key to fixing the system ]

Let the schools request tickets if they're available, and keep a large number of them off the market until the teams are announced, but don't burden the schools with being your sales department.

If I was Clemson I'd either find some sort of incentive to offer with the tickets (maybe priority points) or discount the crappier seats to avoid eating the full cost.

Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: Bowl Tickets- NIU

Dec 17, 2012, 11:12 AM

I saw an ad on Chicago tv where they are selling tixs. You'd think coming of a dream season and with the bowl and opponent they would not have a problem but they are using tv to sell to the general public. I think the economy and market for this entertainment is vastly different everywhere than 5 years ago

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because they're NIU and nobody cares

Dec 18, 2012, 9:23 AM

Chicago is a pro sports town, and those that like college sports are almost assuredly B1G fans

Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: Bowl Tickets

Dec 17, 2012, 11:20 AM

ESPN is ruining college football... too many interuption for tv ads. Times are not announced until the week before. But why are bowl games in the middle of the week? If all the bowl games were between Christmas and New Years day I think attendance would be better... of course the expense is also an issue. I am not able to go this year because of finances. But I have never gone to a bowl game before Christmas or after New Years day. , , might make an exception of championship game.

Dec 17, 2012, 11:27 AM

Haselden,

I think the reason for the bowls being spread out is because there are so many of them. I agree with you. If schedule the bowls from 12/25-1/1 you will have a major jump in attendance. Currently the bowl season lasts way too long (Dec. 15th - Jan. 7th)

I remember when I was young watching the Rose Bowl then the Sugar Bowl would come on. Whatever happened to playing two BCS games in one day. It was almost like an event for my family. We took the whole day off just to watch these games. Now its spread over a whole week.

Money talks and it is beginning to be heard.

Dec 17, 2012, 11:20 AM

I have seen a lot of people complaining that it was where those tickets were located. Also you can go to stub hub and get better tickets for less or the same price.

Dec 17, 2012, 11:22 AM

Could not agree more. You cannot argue this when the top teams in the nation are not even buying tickets. UF buying only 6800 for the Sugar Bowl is a joke. Your correct in Nebraska having the best fans. I think they have sold out at home over 100 plus times (and your telling me they have only sold 3800 tickets)

Its time for the bowl system to die. I think the general public has made their answer. The only thing that can kill it is when the money stops coming in. I think we have arrived at that point

Our allotted seat location sucks and tix cheaper on stubhub***

Dec 17, 2012, 11:23 AM

I bought 9 tix

Dec 17, 2012, 11:30 AM

The problem was the e-mail I received from the athletic ticket office. I have 122 IPTAY points which meant I could only order 2 tix. Well fine, I needed 9 so I found an outlet to do so. I am sure the seats that the bowl gave the schools has something to do with it, but the fact that Clemson told me I couldn't order the amount of tickets I wanted just forced me to find them elsewhere.

Same here. I needed 3 not 2.

Dec 17, 2012, 11:34 AM

I needed 3 tickets together not 2 so StubHub got my business.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Same here. I needed 3 not 2.

Dec 17, 2012, 11:39 AM

I think that is a problem the schools need to start discussing with the bowls.

1. The ticket prices you are asking me to sell these for are not fair market value

2. The ticket locations given are not better than what is available in the open market

Clemson is also a part of this. The way bowl tickets are sold through our department is broke. I can still remember to this day purchasing my UT vs CU tickets (Peach Bowl) and then 3 days before the game receiving an email saying my tickets were taken away due to demand. Have not gone through Clemson ticket office since

the athletic dept/ticket office/IPTAY have made their bed,

Dec 17, 2012, 11:44 AM

now they get to sleep in it

Really?? Clemson is going to eat several thousand of these

Dec 17, 2012, 2:45 PM [ in reply to I bought 9 tix ]

tickets, they had people wanting to buy, and they told them no.

They were practically begging people to buy bowl tickets at the basketball game. They made two announcements about it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

problem is they restricted the ammount

Dec 18, 2012, 1:34 PM

people got them elsewhere and
when sales were slow people were told they could get more
too late

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and it's not like it was yrs ago where it was hard to get

Dec 17, 2012, 1:41 PM [ in reply to Our allotted seat location sucks and tix cheaper on stubhub*** ]

tickets before the web...the AD was your only avenue. Today you can get tickets so easily through so many outlets that the method of allocating tickets and forcing a school to buy is outdated. It's merely in place to guarantee revenue for the bowl.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2012, 12:50 PM

The problem with bowls and bowl fan participation is 2 fold in my estimation.

1) bowls are no longer rewards for special teams that have really achieved anything. Teams winning 6 7 or even 8 of 12 games do not deserve to go to a bowl game.
2) Fans have come to realize the tickets schools get are the worst ones they have. You can usually get a much better and cheaper seat through other avenues.

bowls are just a way for:

- espn to fill programming

- the bowl committees to make a crap load of money and

- to provide some sort of sideways payola for the players

100% agree that tie-ins are killing enthusiasm for bowls

Dec 17, 2012, 1:24 PM

If you're a good team, you will go to the same 2-3 bowls every year. In the ACC that's Orange, Chick-Fil-A, Music City, and whatever Champs Sports has been renamed to. My enthusiasm for any of those bowls wanes after about 1 trip. All the other bowls we have tie-ins with, I really couldn't care less about. I *might* go see us play a bowl in Charlotte if the date is convenient, but I'd just as soon watch it at home for free--especially considering the ungodly amount of money spent over the last season just to attend home games (IPTAY, seat equity, season tickets, concessions, gas, hotels, food, etc). However if we had a chance to go to Gator, Capital One, Hall of Fame, etc. every so often, that'd be much more exciting. Honestly I have no desire to go to a bowl in Atlanta ever again.

Tie-ins also kill enthusiasm because you end up playing similar teams on a frequent basis. I'm getting kind of tired of playing geographically close teams every year. One of my favorite bowl trips (except for the score) was when we played Cal in the Citrus Bowl after the '91 season. That was pretty cool because of the "exotic" factor of seeing a team, band, and fans we'd never otherwise see. However 5 of the ACC's bowl 8 tie-ins are against SEC or Big East teams--six, if you count the Orange Bowl. The 7th tie-in is for freaking C-USA--who gives a crap about any C-USA team? The choice of opponents has become incredibly boring.

The other problem with bowls is that the good seats are unavailable except through aftermarket purchases. Why would i want to pay a premium price to sit in the upper corner of a 3/4ths empty stadium?

wow...good points***

Dec 17, 2012, 1:39 PM

Dec 17, 2012, 1:37 PM

Clemson ticket office screwed it up. Too many IPTAY points for poor ticket location. Clemson only received the worse location and the bowl kept the sideline tickets for the same price. Clemson must negotiate ticket location in the future.

the problem is the fans now see the games for what they are

Dec 17, 2012, 1:38 PM

meaningless exhibitions to promote tourism. The current BCS system did more to hurt bowls than help them. Now the current bowl that really only does well is the National Title game whereas in the past most bowls did well in attendance. Today there are simply way too many bowl games....it was a reward back in the day for a good season...today a GT team with a losing record plays in a bowl game.

Dec 17, 2012, 1:48 PM

Here is my opinion on how to make College Football the most popular and make tons of money. You can keep all the bowl sites and all the sponsors and still play a tournament. Simply take the top 16 teams and play the tournament at bowl sights with the same bowl names but now the games mean something. You only need 15 bowl sights, the rest of the bowl sights could go to teams that had a good season and they get a regular bowl game that doesnt mean anything but it is a reward for having a good season. Take the top 15 bowl sights and play the tournament, as you advance you go to the bigger and better bowl sights. Final Four being the Orange Bowl, Cotton Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, and Sugar Bowl. The Rose Bowl would be the final, since it is the grand daddy of them all. Bowls like the Gator and Chick-fil-a would be early rounds, all these games would be must see games, tv ratings would be out of the roof and a real champion would be crowned. You would have first round machups of Notre Dame vs. UCLA, Alabama vs. N. Illinois, Florida vs. Oregon St., Oregon vs. Clemson, Georgia vs. FSU, K. State vs. Oklahoma, Stanford vs. S. Carolina, LSU vs. Texas A&M. Wow! Now thats a tournament worth watching, how fun would that be to watch work itself out. Doesnt matter what confrence you come from, you are simply rewarded for having a great year. This makes all their practice, weight trainning, and sweat worth it. The other teams get their one game bowl just like basketball rewards teams through the NIT Tournament. This system would make tons of money. Play the games right after the season ends, no need for Confrence championship games, win the confrence off of records, cause the have a real championship to play for, its called a national championship!

There are 35 Bowls now. 35. It means nothing anymore.

Dec 17, 2012, 1:52 PM

Most teams go to a bowl every year - it has completely lost it's luster.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

12 game seasons are also hurting

Dec 17, 2012, 2:00 PM

With 7 home games a season it just starts to get to be too much. Counting the bowl game, I've been to 27 games in 3 years. It adds up. The key to entertainment is leaving them wanting more. I'm about to have my fill.

And as I've said, the tie-ins are killing it.

I have 6 Mezzanine tickets and hotel rooms

Dec 18, 2012, 8:24 AM

....rooms are at Omni and you must take both nights (Sun and Mon.) T-Mail me if interested in tix or room or both. I'm going, and you'll be sitting with us, so here's a "nice to meet you" in advance ;)

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Who wants to pay $90 face value to sit in the endzone??

Dec 18, 2012, 1:12 PM

Bowls are not about the fans or else the seating would show it. Its about $$$

Re: Who wants to pay $90 face value to sit in the endzone??

Dec 18, 2012, 1:20 PM

That was my reply to Dan Radakovich. Lousy end zone seats through IPTAY- forget about it!

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I will still be there and spent $250 on 2 seats...but they

Dec 18, 2012, 1:21 PM [ in reply to Who wants to pay $90 face value to sit in the endzone?? ]

are 50 yard line club level.

I think the AD should do a survey and challenge the bowl

Dec 18, 2012, 1:26 PM

Survey how many IPTAY donors bought tickets through other avenues because they knew the schools seats were crap and 2X over price.

I agree with all that's been posted and would only add

Dec 18, 2012, 7:11 PM

that times have changed, not just with the economy, but with people's lives. I work much longer hours each week than I used to and while I used to have some down time at the end of the year, I can't even take the vacation I'm entitled to. If I could take a private jet to Atlanta, I would; anything else is too much trouble.

Message was edited by: CU72Tiger®

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic