Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Q&A with Athletic Director Dan Radakovich - Part 3
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Q&A with Athletic Director Dan Radakovich - Part 3

Dec 10, 2012, 10:34 AM

Q&A with Athletic Director Dan Radakovich - Part 3

Dan Radakovic discusses what it will take to get back to being competitive with South Carolina and the health of the overall program in the third part of our series with the new Clemson Athletic Director. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What was it like to work with John Candy?

Dec 10, 2012, 10:37 AM

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Q&A with Athletic Director Dan Radakovich - Part 3

Dec 10, 2012, 10:42 AM

There is no doubt thare was a damaged relatiosghip between AD TDP and Athletic Administration including D'Andrea with the both fan base and rank and file Iptay membership. I hope new AD will breathe some fresh air into athletic and Iptay administration and make an effort to repair these relationships. TDP liked to work best behind closed doors and rarely reached out to the people that help make Clemson Athletics strong. Would like to see D'Andrea retired...

Contract extension?!? They JUST gave Dabo 5yrs & $8M buyout!

Dec 10, 2012, 11:46 AM

Just a few months ago, TDP gave Dabo a 5-year contract extension with a ridiculous $8M buyout. (To make it even more ridiculous, the buyout is asymmetrical so Dabo can buyout and leave anytime he wants for a relatively trivial $3M.
http://www.orangeandwhite.com/news/2012/sep/13/dabo-swinneys-contract-features-hefty-buyouts-both/

The incompetent TDP didn't learn from the $4.5M Bowden buyout mistake and needlessly gave Dabo an $8M buyout even though Dabo is a pathetic 0-6 against AP Top 25 Final Poll. As if good teams would want to steal Dabo. With all the head coach openings over the last few years, there hasn't been even one rumor about anybody trying to steal Dabo, unlike Morris, who is a hot commoditiy. Gee, I wonder why nobody wants to steal Dabo.

Dabo beats up on overrated ACC weaklings and non-con cupcakes (in what has been a historically weak ACC for the last few years) but Dabo has never beaten anybody good, including 4 straight drubbings by SCar, and even embarrassing losses to Big East teams like WVU & USF.

Yeah... it might be a tad bit early to talk about a contract extension.

Re: Contract extension?!? They JUST gave Dabo 5yrs & $8M buyout!

Dec 10, 2012, 12:18 PM

Razzmatazz, you are like a number of posters on TigerNet, we could be # 1 in the country and the first thing we would hear is "what took so long" or "yea, but I bet we can't hold it" or "yea, but we should have beaten the coots by more than 30 points" and then we would hear that "Dabo is overrated and we need to clean house." This is not a one night stand, we are building a long term successful program. We are fine!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What an irrelevant reply! You addressed NOTHING that I wrote

Dec 10, 2012, 1:08 PM

Instead you concocted ridiculous speculations about what I might think about some hypothetical situations (like IF we were national champs). How lame! Here... let me make the kind of counterpoint that you made...

I'll bet that if Dabo went 0-12 for 5 seasons you'd still think Clemson should keep him.

See how stupid it is to say such stuff? It's like the little kid in the playground who has no intelligent comeback so he makes up some nonsense like, "I'll bet you eat your boogers."

Re: What an irrelevant reply! You addressed NOTHING that I wrote

Dec 10, 2012, 4:18 PM

Razz, go back and read your post again. You said "why would anyone want Dabo", etc. You are just complaining, mindlessly, about the "Clemson situation" and my response was "right on point" that you are just like a lot of posters on TigerNet, you just want to complain! I am sorry that my response was above your capability to understand it. Next time I will lower myself to your level so you will understand. Oh, by the way, nice adult comments that you made in your response.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No.I made 3 fact-based points. You retorted with insults.

Dec 10, 2012, 4:54 PM

My 3 points:
1) Dabo was JUST given an extention (with an excessive buyout).
2) Dabo is 0-6 against non-con Top 25 teams and hasn't really beaten anybody good.
3) There have been no rumors of anyone trying to hire Dabo.

Your response was basically that I like to "mindlessly" complain and nothing will ever stop that. Brilliant response. Attack the messenger. Very persuassive.

It's funny that when I make positive posts, you never reply that I just like to pump sunshine and nothing will ever stop that.

Re: No.I made 3 fact-based points. You retorted with insults.

Dec 10, 2012, 6:06 PM

First off....both times you tried to state facts about Dabo's winning record you were incorrect. He has won in conference games against ranked teams and has also beaten ranked opponents outside of the conference but were not ranked at the end of the year. Secondly.....please quit talking. Your negativity is obnoxious and annoys me to the point I felt the need to post this. Let's keep some of that to yourself. Thanks, Signed everyone at Tnet.

Sorry. I mis-typed. Dabo is 0-6 vs. non-con AP Final Poll

Dec 11, 2012, 12:52 PM

Sure, Dabo has beaten non-con teams which were over-ranked at game-time, but which turned out not to be very good. For example, in week #3 of 2011, Dabo beat an over-ranked #21 Auburn, but Auburn finished the regular season unranked at 7-5 (4-4) with big whuppings from Arkansas, LSU, Bama, & UGA. (Auburn did manage to get to 8-5 (4-4) by whupping one of the best ACC teams (UVA)in the Chick-fil-A bowl.) So technically, Dabo beat a "ranked" Auburn team, he just didn't beat a good Auburn team.

Dabo has beaten overrated ACC teams that finished in the Top 25. But the top ACC teams tend to be overranked because they have a good W-L record against a weak ACC schedule even though they do poorly against good non-con teams. For example last season, Clemson & VT were over-ranked and then beaten in their bowl games by lower-ranked teams-- the Big East champ & Big Ten Legends runner-up. Or for example, Utah used to be a perennial Top 25 darling when they were romping through the MWC with high winning percentages, but since Utah joined a big-boy conference (Pac-12) Utah has finished with multiple losses and nowhere near the Top 25. Utah has the same coach and is the same caliber of team, but pollsters tend to vote heavily based on W-L thereby overranking the top teams from weak conferences. Similarly, over-ranked WVU also fell off the planet this season when they joined a big boy conference and went 7-5 (4-5), despite having all that talent that spanked ACC-Champion Clemson in the Orange Bowl.

Dec 11, 2012, 1:29 AM [ in reply to Re: What an irrelevant reply! You addressed NOTHING that I wrote ]

Why would you have any desire to become a complete A$$ just to appease Razz My A$$!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2012, 12:00 PM

That comment was directed at razz

Dec 10, 2012, 12:36 PM [ in reply to Contract extension?!? They JUST gave Dabo 5yrs & $8M buyout! ]

If you were an Alabama fan, and maybe you are, you would be screaming for them to fire Saban because he lost to lowly Texas A&M. Complaining all of the time does nothing to improve anything about Clemson athletics. I suppose you would like to fire Dabo and go rehire Tommy Bowden? Maybe no one is trying to hire Dabo because he's obviously happy where he is? How do you hire a guy who gives away money to his assistant coaches? You sure can't offer him more money. Did you ever consider this? I doubt it. With Dabo it is obviously about way more than money, unlike that jerk coach at USC-Columbia.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If fantasy nonsense, then fantasy nonsense. How lame!

Dec 10, 2012, 1:20 PM

Instead of addressing my points, you concocted ridiculous speculations about what I might think about some hypothetical situations.

You suppose that I'd rehire Tommy Bowden? What a ridiculous concoction that has NOTHING to do with ANYTHING I wrote! I wanted Bowden fired a few years earlier and I was opposed to his $4.5M buyout. It turns out that I was right about Bowden and the buyout, despite all of the T-Net pumpers here who said how Tommy was "building a program" and how stupid I was for not being able to see that we needed to keep him and give him a big buyout to keep him from getting stolen.

You think no big-time schools are trying to hire Dabo because they think he's too happy here? C'mon... Big-time schools try to steal happy coaches about a dozen times every season.

Dec 10, 2012, 4:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Contract extension?!? They JUST gave Dabo 5yrs & $8M buyout! ]

Tigerinaiken, you are wasting a really good and accurate post if you are speaking to Razz. Your post was "point on" but, as you and I both stated, Razz just wants to complain. The bus will be by soon to take him back to the "home."

Dec 11, 2012, 1:23 AM [ in reply to Contract extension?!? They JUST gave Dabo 5yrs & $8M buyout! ]

Not as an OC or DC but, Ole Saban did try and get Dabo to Bama. Like many on here would be very quick to give up how they had learned of this. But actually I don't care who does or doesn't believe that Saban would want Dabo. But Dabo was called by Saban with an offer to come to Bama.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Saban offered our HC a low level job a few yrs ago? Yay!

Dec 11, 2012, 1:29 PM

I wrote about no big-league schools trying to steal Dabo for a head coaching job. You come back touting an old rumor about Saban wanting to hire Dabo for a low-level position. Brilliant! You certainly taught me a lesson... not about Dabo's value as a head coach, but about the level of absurdity to which you'll stoop.

5 year contracts are important for recruiting

Dec 11, 2012, 9:18 AM [ in reply to Contract extension?!? They JUST gave Dabo 5yrs & $8M buyout! ]

and basically industry standard now. Dabo just finished the season so he will likely get that contract rolled over to have 5 years.

Recruits want to see stability at the top. I think they've grown accustomed to fact that coordinators and position coaches probably won't be there the entire time the athlete is in school. But they have a hard time committing to a place where the coach might not be there as long as they will.

FSU's recruiting took a major hit between the time it was clear that Bowden would't be there 5 more years and before Jimbo was announced. SCar just gave Spurrier additional years with no change in salary or buyout. The contract extensions are about perception more than anything.

5 yr contract OK. $8M asymmetrical buyout is foolish.

Dec 11, 2012, 12:12 PM

I'm OK with Clemson giving Dabo a contract extension. Four years would have been enough, but OK so it's 5 years. However, as the $4M Tommy Bowden buyout fiasco proved, it was foolish to give Dabo an $8M buyout-- let alone an asymmetrical buyout that essentially lets him leave anytime he wants for a lousy $3M. Basically Clemson didn't lock-in Dabo (despite Clemson giving him on-the-job training that he can take to another school) but Dabo locked Clemson in. That's great for Dabo and foolish for Clemson. There are all kinds of performance incentives for Dabo to get paid more if he does well, but no escape clauses for Clemson to terminate Dabo (with a reduced buyout) if Dabo does poorly-- let alone if he keeps Clemson as a fringe, lower Top 25 team like it was under Bowden.

Recruits don't read the legalese fine print of an employment contract. And contrary to your claim FSU's recruiting didn't appear to suffer as Bobby Bowden's contract came to an end.

Rivals recruiting class rankings:
2010: #10 (Bowden->Fisher transition class)
2009: #7
2008: #9
2007: #21

Just imagine what will happen when probation steve

Dec 11, 2012, 12:18 PM

calls it quits and makes it clear to the world he is a Florida fan. What do you think will be his explanation why he could not win the sec at USCheat.

Dec 10, 2012, 2:09 PM

After havinbg just given Dabo a contract extension, I can't fathom the need to even have that conversation until he proves he can beat S. Carolina. Too many seem to have bought into the concept that S. Carolina is better so we probably aren't going to have much success against them.

Dec 10, 2012, 4:32 PM

No, I don't think it is a situation of people "buying into the concept of SCar is better so we are probably not going to be successful against them." It is a matter of where we are in developing a continuing team which takes time. Spurrier is in his 8th year as the HC and Dabo is in his 4th. IMHO, we had this years game won, but our youth and inexperience showed up where it normally shows up, late in the game, and the Coots controlled the game from there. Next year, I believe it will be different.

Spurrier took over a historically weak, unranked losing team

Dec 10, 2012, 5:19 PM

Spurrier took over a historically weaker SCar team that went 5-7, 5-7, 6-5 and unranked in the 3 years prior to taking over. Spurrier turned them into an SEC East contender that has owned Clemson for the last FOUR years.

Dabo took over a historically good Clemson team, stocked with top recruiting classes and laden with future-NFL talent (like Spiller, Ford, et al) that in the 3 years prior to taking over had finished 8-5, 9-4, 7-6 (twice finishing ranked in the Top 25).

Obviously Spurrier had the more difficult challenge to turn around a weak program, but he did it. On the other hand, Dabo took over a Clemson team that finished in-and-out of the bottom half of the Top 25, and turned them into a team that finished in and out of the bottom half of the Top 25. Little to no improvement. The ACC has been historically weak for the last couple years (according to Sagarin rankings) so Dabo looks good relative to the pathetic ACC, but from a national perspective, Clemson is still a fringe Top 25 team.

Can we ask what are we doing about getting a cirriculum

Dec 10, 2012, 5:53 PM

that will allow us to use JUCO players?

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

AD interview part 3

Dec 10, 2012, 7:24 PM

This has got to be the most woozy response from an AD that I have ever heard... This sounds like an extension of Barker's "let's be sweet to everyone"...if the coaches are not doing their job then the AD needs to kick butt...we play too nice...get tough and slobber-knock your opponent...play like TIGERS !!!!!!!

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic