Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mickey Plyler's Blog: Harbison
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Mickey Plyler's Blog: Harbison

Dec 10, 2012, 10:27 AM

Harbison

Harbison
I want to preface today's blog with a few major thoughts on Charlie Harbison
flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: Harbison

Dec 10, 2012, 11:57 AM

I could not agree more with your assessment of the DB coaching position.It is also the head coach's responsibility to let his DB coach know what he expects in all these areas you mentioned(technique,etc.)We have too many "hand-holders" on this staff-including the head coach.I am all for having Christian coaches but there is no law against being tough-minded when it is called for.I like Dabo but it is time to "man-up" and CONVEY that attitude to his team.The LSU game is a pivotal one for the future of Dabo's program.If we sustain another embarassment,it will not bode well.-Lee Manatis

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it amazes me that we'd keep him another yr with those #s

Dec 10, 2012, 12:13 PM

I guess friendship outweighs stats and that's been a problem at clemson for yrs

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: it amazes me that we'd keep him another yr with those #s

Dec 10, 2012, 3:12 PM

I'm not sure friendship was the motavation for keeping some of Dabo's staff as long as he did.

I think the school decides when cleaning house is expedient with consideration of the new coach. I'm glad Clemson didn't clean house when Tommy left. I suspect emotion is involved when firing everyone on a coaching staff. I know most of the folks here on t-net who wanted everybody from the president to the waterboy fired were influenced by emotion.

Decisions which are made slowly and with reason are much more likely to be fruitful than those contaminated with emotions.

All that being said it was a truth that start to finish Harbison had the secondary which has failed to pull their weight for much too long.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 10, 2012, 12:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: Harbison ]

I doubt Koenning, Spence, Napier, Steele. Blackwell. West and the ex-RB coach consider Dabo a "Hand-holder".

Dec 10, 2012, 10:04 PM [ in reply to Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: Harbison ]

With all due respect.....how do you know what communication has transpired between Dabo and his staff?
Do you have information on the number of times he's sit down and laid it out concerning expectatons and made it clear that improvement was needed?
Coaches like Dabo who have character and respect for others don't go public and throw people under the bus like coach Spurrier does.
I believe your assumption that it's all hand-holding and singing kumbaya is probably not accurate.

Dec 10, 2012, 12:30 PM

Yep. Mickey is all over this one. Could not have said it better. The bad thing in this blog is the point that Dabo was going to sit there one more year, after two years of struggle, and not make a move. In business,you can't let personal relationships interfere with management decisions. Either the recruiting or the coaching was bad. I know we had injury issues at that position, but the players that were there as seniors did not progress and the younger talent looked awful. Either way its on the coach.

How do you know that?

Dec 10, 2012, 3:43 PM

Did he tell you he was planning on retaining Harbison? With the exception of Spence he has always waited until after the bowl game to evaluate and make staff changes.

Re: How do you know that?

Dec 11, 2012, 10:41 AM

You are correct with that. And with that being said, who knows that Dabo didn't tell Charlie that the Auburn job would be the best for him. And that maybe Dabo had already told him that changes in that area was on thin ice. Who knows that Dabo didn't tell Charlie to look at auburn for that vacant position at auburn. Who knows what was said or done where Charlie and Dabo was concerned. I feel that it has worked out for the best for them both if a change at that position was coming.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 10, 2012, 12:45 PM

No one knows what Dabo's plans were in this regard. All of the comments assume that Dabo was going to keep Harbison but we don't know that. I surely do not see any evidence that Dabo tried to keep him. Dabo could have counter offered whatever Auburn offered but nothing indicated that he did. For all we know, Dabo was greatly relieved that Auburn hired him.
If you look at past moved by Dabo, you will see that he has made tough decisions about assistant coaches when necessary. He sure didn't have any problem firing the offensive coordinator a couple of years ago and they were friends, too. I believe saying Dabo keeps coaches out of friendship alone is completely wrong and unfair.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 10, 2012, 1:10 PM

I read somewhere that Harbison needs a few years to be fully vested in Alabama state retirement system and that is not an area that Clemson can compete. It would not surprise me if Harbison coaches at Clemson again in a few years.

We don't know what lead to this move...

Dec 10, 2012, 1:45 PM

Dabo and Harb could have "agreed" it was time for him to search. I've made that agreement with employees before and we parted on great terms. Sometimes, both parties just know it. I'm betting Dabo has someone in mind he's already contacted.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

with all due respect, wish I could say......

Dec 11, 2012, 8:38 AM

I agree with this post, but....I don't.
sorry, thanks for trying.

Always good for coaches to leave on a good note.

Dec 11, 2012, 10:26 AM

Micky, your statement that said that the secondary was the weak link is true. But it isn't the weakest link by far. I know that continued beating of a dead Horse is never a good thing. But our S&C program goes far beyond a dead horse. That Horse has been in Rotting for so long that there is nothing left to beat. Being that Charlie (coach Cheese) Harbison is leaving on his own free will. That leaves Dabo with just one firing that must be done IMHO. Batson must go this year for the best interest of Clemson Athletics PERIOD. Batson's methods don't work for getting maximum results. When our front Four can't get past the front Four of the Furman type FB teams. There is a problem with our S&C program. And most have recognized this for a long time now. When new science has proven that the old science doesn't work as well. And Batson refuses to change to the new and proven ways. Then he leaves Dabo/Clemson with only one alternative, change the old ways for the ways of new science. I know and understand that Batson has family I think on the board of trustee's. But no person is above the success of one Clemson. It's time for Dabo to hire Clemson a S&C person that teaches and believes in the proven new science that maximizes the athletic abilities of today's Football athletes. Untill this change has been made at Clemson. We will continue see our 4 star guy's getting pushed around by the like of the Furman's smaller 0/2 stars player's.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe taking Sumner/Gardner isn't a bad thing then***

Dec 12, 2012, 12:30 PM

Shouldn't Venables

Dec 14, 2012, 10:45 AM

be allowed to hire his own defensive coaches? I know they are ultimately 'hired' by the head coach, but shouldn't the DC find the coach he feels fits his scheme?

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic