Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Questions about offensive line future
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1,056

Questions about offensive line future

Dec 8, 2012, 4:05 PM

I have seen major strides with the offensive line this season and in the last few seasons . Caldwell is doing a good job with this group. I understand that the state of South Carolina does not produce all that many FBS BCS conference offensive lineman prospects and the ones we do produce we have ended up splitting at best with South Carolina. Who thinks we will ever be able to routinely produce All-American offensive lineman like Alabama does? This is the final step to becoming elite. I think Region is going to be a great one! Question is, can we routinely go into Atlanta (northern Georgia)and Alabama and pull offensive lineman? When we can, we can shift to an Alabama style offense. Will this happen at Clemson?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Doubtful, one of the reasons these high speed offenses

Dec 8, 2012, 4:16 PM

came to be is so that teams with inferior talent had a way to compete with the big boys. At the skill positions, we are the big boys, but I don't see how we become an OL place to be, especially with this style offense. Fortunately, we have home grown talent to become a dominant defensive line.

Re: Questions about offensive line future

Dec 8, 2012, 4:27 PM

The first need is for D-secondary players. Next is DEs and DTs (imo). Our O-line is adequate. The problem we've had is stopping a good opposing offense between the 20s.

Could we use better O-linemen? Of course - just like we can always use a better player at any position, but I'm satisfied with the progress made over the past few years with WRs, QBs, O-linemen, TEs, RBs and now LBs.

If we can get the secondary fixed and shore up the D-line, then we could use some fire-power in the O-line and reaally make the running game go without as much reliance on the pass.

I actually think it's the other way around

Dec 8, 2012, 6:15 PM

I think our D line needs to pick it up in the pass rush department. If that were so, it would take a lot of pressure off the DBs, especially if passes are forced causing bad throws to go into one of those DB's hands, thus making them look ten times better.

If we had a Da'Quan, or someone similar, and not so many unfortuate injuries I think we would have been a great deal better on D.

Dec 8, 2012, 4:32 PM

We have bigger issues at DB and LB than OL. It has improved but still not a strength. That is why we run the type of offense we do.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 8, 2012, 5:03 PM

I think the new inroads we have to the northeast are going to be best shot we have to pluck out a few great olinemen.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

Until we get physically stronger we will struggle.

Dec 8, 2012, 6:19 PM

And it is not all about recruiting.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Until we get physically stronger we will struggle.

Dec 8, 2012, 7:05 PM

how long do you think it actually takes to make that much difference in physical strength, when these kids have been lifting since hs. i'm sure this program (type of s&c), or that program (see above), takes at least a few years to make much difference- with the time constraints put on by the ncaa. they are not able to be with the s&c coach 24/7.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Until we get physically stronger we will struggle.

Dec 8, 2012, 9:10 PM

I like what we are doing with the O-line. Using converted FBs like Tyler Shatley gives us pulling guards who know how to block. The downside is that FBs are getting harder to find given today's offenses.

I also like the fact that we are recruiting the best DEs we can fine - and a lot of them. Some of the HS DEs with the right body grow up in college to be good DTs and OTs. Some TEs do as well.

I gusee my point is that we need to recruit athletes who can play football - then sort 'em out after they spend some time at the trough and in the weight room.

Other than the big eaters, we still need athletes as WRs, RBs, DBs, TEs and DEs..... all the time with an eye on speed and aggressiveness.

Our O-line has done well this year. For the past 2 years, they pass-block as well as anyone. They could run-block a little better, but that might not come to pass until the O-line is upgraded a half-notch. But before that's the real problem, we need to resolve the DB issue and step up the LBs about a half-notch. Fix that and we're a solid top-10 team.

Replies: 8
| visibility 1,056
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic