Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Update: Statement from the ACC Council of Presidents on commitment to the ACC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 73
| visibility 1

Football Update: Statement from the ACC Council of Presidents on commitment to the ACC

Dec 6, 2012, 2:21 PM

Statement from the ACC Council of Presidents on commitment to the ACC

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football Update: Statement from the ACC Council of Presidents on commitment to the ACC

Dec 6, 2012, 2:23 PM

So how's about ND stepping up to the plate and becoming a full-fledged member.

Who sticks out on this list???

Dec 6, 2012, 2:25 PM

Mr. James Barker...

The most distinguished person on the list. Not a doctor nor priest...simple 'ole mister James Barker

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i noticed that too. beat me to it***

Dec 6, 2012, 2:27 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Barker does have the terminal degree in his field. ******

Dec 6, 2012, 2:49 PM [ in reply to Who sticks out on this list??? ]

null

Not really.

Dec 6, 2012, 6:26 PM

He has the terminal degree in his field from Clemson, but you can get a PhD in Architecture from other schools. Not very common, and not required for teaching at the college level, but it can be earned.

Yep, although he does have 2 or 3 honorary doctorates

Dec 6, 2012, 3:03 PM [ in reply to Who sticks out on this list??? ]

Still, it's not that impressive, is it...

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: Who sticks out on this list???

Dec 6, 2012, 3:24 PM [ in reply to Who sticks out on this list??? ]

I've never met a PhD architect...

Nor would I ever want to.

Dec 6, 2012, 4:02 PM

;)

Re: Who sticks out on this list???

Dec 6, 2012, 4:57 PM [ in reply to Who sticks out on this list??? ]

Should Be Mr. James F, Barker, FAIA. He is a Fellow in The American Institute of Architects (AIA) . . . none of the other s are.

2 Fathers, 12 Doctors, and a Mister

Dec 6, 2012, 2:27 PM

You figure it out

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

Re: 2 Fathers, 12 Doctors, and a Mister

Dec 6, 2012, 2:44 PM

I'm just saying...................

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah? What you saying?***

Dec 6, 2012, 2:47 PM

...walk into a bar...***

Dec 6, 2012, 4:37 PM [ in reply to 2 Fathers, 12 Doctors, and a Mister ]

Re: ...walk into a bar...***

Dec 6, 2012, 4:44 PM

the bar tender calls them racist pigs and shoots the lesbian with a daisy air rifle

I pledge allegiance to the flag... ***

Dec 6, 2012, 2:30 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Probably not worth the paper its written on...

Dec 6, 2012, 2:31 PM

If a program is trying to leave and wanting to not let anyone know, of course they'd sign this. If Maryland were still negotiating with the B1G instead of already out, they'd have signed this, too.

and some thought there was a lot of butt hurt round here

Dec 6, 2012, 2:32 PM

over losing 4 straight.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lol. Nostradumbass says this is an act of desparation.

Dec 6, 2012, 2:32 PM

Then went on to say that Duke/UNC are talking to the SEC.

Message was edited by: cutigersJD®

Dec 6, 2012, 2:35 PM

Good message from the ACC Presidents. BTW, President Barker at Clemson has earned his doctorate, and his title should be Dr. Jim Barker, rather than Mr.

I think you may be wrong, Honorary is not an official Dr.

Dec 6, 2012, 2:49 PM

from clemson.edu
2008 Doctor of Humane Letters (Honorary), Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina
2001 Doctor of Humane Letters (Honorary), Mars Hill College, Mars Hill, North Carolina
2000 Doctor of Education (Honorary), South Carolina State University, Orangeburg, South Carolina

1973 Master of Architecture and Urban Design; Washington University, St. Louis, Missouri.

1970 Bachelor of Architecture; Clemson University, Clemson, South Carolina.

wiki --
Early life and educationBarker was born in Kingsport, Tennessee. He attended Clemson University and graduated with a degree in architecture in 1970. He then attended Washington University in St. Louis, earning a master's degree in architecture in 1973.[2]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

Tell that to Sam Walton or Bill Gates. Actions, not paper.***

Dec 6, 2012, 2:53 PM

Wut?***

Dec 6, 2012, 2:54 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Think about genius.***

Dec 6, 2012, 3:03 PM

So Barker is in the same class as these guys, lol. If that

Dec 6, 2012, 3:26 PM

were the case we would not have to worry about tv money.

He is neither a genius nor a billionaire. He is Mr. Barker, President of Clemson University.

Re: Football Update: Statement from the ACC Council of Presidents on commitment to the ACC

Dec 6, 2012, 2:50 PM [ in reply to Football Update: Statement from the ACC Council of Presidents on commitment to the ACC ]

Wrong. President Barker does not have his doctorate. He graduated in Architecture and does not have doctorate.

Interesting stuff going on

Dec 6, 2012, 2:43 PM

Signed,
yorkie

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

I guess you can count me as part of the minority

Dec 6, 2012, 2:50 PM

because I feel this is a very good sign. I know "commitments" aren't worth the paper they're written on, but it makes me feel better about the stability of the conference, at least in the short term.

My take on the whole thing has never changed: If we can't get into the SEC (and we CANNOT), I want the ACC to stay together. Outside of money, the Big 12 is a bad move for us. We'd be the Boston College of that conference and I don't want that. We're a school in the Southeast, a charter member of the ACC, and we have great rivalries nearby, most of which are in driving distance.

Guys, Maryland is going to regret this move. Maybe not the people that have to pay the bills and balance the budgets, but everyone else associated with that school is going to regret it. If they though they were an after-thought in the ACC, just wait until they start B1G Ten play. They are going to be the Minnesota of that conference without any of the rivalries that Minnesota has. Maryland sold their soul.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed.... spot on***

Dec 6, 2012, 2:52 PM

I agree with all of this.

Dec 6, 2012, 2:54 PM [ in reply to I guess you can count me as part of the minority ]

Maryland moved because they screwed up and mismanaged their AD so badly that they had no choice. Really pathetic to be that bad at managing your department. I do not think it will end well for them, but that's not my concern anymore.

null

What a complete load of crap....

Dec 6, 2012, 2:50 PM

Do they really think they're fooling anyone except for themselves maybe?

"The ACC has long been a leader in intercollegiate athletics, both academically and athletically, and the constitution of our existing and future member schools will maintain the ACC’s position as one of the nation’s premier conferences.” LOL

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

What part of that is a complete load of crap?

Dec 6, 2012, 2:53 PM

(minus Louisville)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Well...

Dec 6, 2012, 2:56 PM

The ACC is not a leader in intercollegiate athletics. In fact, the ACC is far from it, so to suggest the league will maintain its position as one of the nation’s premier conferences is laughable.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh .... but it is.....***

Dec 6, 2012, 2:57 PM

I'm sorry, are you blinded by only football? ACC is

Dec 6, 2012, 2:58 PM [ in reply to Well... ]

definitely a leader in intercollegiate athletics.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Too bad football is the only one that matters, genius.***

Dec 6, 2012, 2:59 PM

Football isn't the only one that matters, but....

Dec 6, 2012, 3:03 PM

it's d@mn sure the one that matters most because it pays the bills

They're talking about lacrosse, soccer, and field hockey

Dec 6, 2012, 2:59 PM [ in reply to Well... ]

Football is the last thing on their minds.

and basketball and football....***

Dec 6, 2012, 3:04 PM

I can't wait until we get put of this conference.

Dec 6, 2012, 3:07 PM

I can't believe some of y'all are still blinded and fail to see the ACC doesn't have a future in football. I wish it weren't so sometimes, but it is.

You're right

Dec 6, 2012, 3:12 PM

Clemson
FSU
Miami
Georgia Tech
Virginia Tech

None of them has any future in football. Come on.

Add Louisville

Dec 6, 2012, 3:14 PM

And Syracuse, we can't touch their athletic budgets.

Heck, even UNC has pushed football.

And Pitt***

Dec 6, 2012, 3:17 PM

Totally forgot about Louisville

Dec 6, 2012, 3:17 PM [ in reply to Add Louisville ]

Their HC just turned down Tennessee. UNC and Cuse have potential-- so does Pittsburgh.

When you really think about it, the ACC has just one dog in football year-in and year-out and it's Duke... And even they went to a bowl game this year.

It's the impatient ones that don't see college football is

Dec 6, 2012, 3:18 PM

cyclical and the ACC will be near the top again. Especially when it looks like both Clemson & FSU have finally turned their corners.

And I think the others will turn the corners soon.***

Dec 6, 2012, 3:25 PM

You do realize he said sports which the ACC is a definite

Dec 6, 2012, 3:54 PM [ in reply to Well... ]

leader in. Didn't say football but sports.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm pretty sure that blatant lie makes the document void***

Dec 6, 2012, 2:54 PM [ in reply to What a complete load of crap.... ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Nice quote from Bear Bryant you have .....

Dec 6, 2012, 2:56 PM [ in reply to What a complete load of crap.... ]

It's good to know that our leaders are taking that to heart.

complete load of crap from their propaganda machine***

Dec 6, 2012, 3:20 PM [ in reply to What a complete load of crap.... ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Im going to go throw up now***

Dec 6, 2012, 2:52 PM

Buyout now pegged to 100 years of ACC operating expenses.***

Dec 6, 2012, 2:55 PM

nm

blah blah blah...they are all committed until they have a

Dec 6, 2012, 3:18 PM

better option and at that point all look out for themselves...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: blah blah blah...they are all committed until they have a

Dec 6, 2012, 3:22 PM

I don't disagree with you about that... BUT I'd rather them come out and make a unified statement instead of another several weeks or months or awkward silence and rumors. I think it says SOMETHING.

it says at this exact moment in time we are committed

Dec 6, 2012, 3:23 PM

to each other....nothing more nothing less

Disagree... it's a definitive statement.***

Dec 6, 2012, 3:24 PM

if the SEC came with an open door to Clemson tomorrow

Dec 6, 2012, 3:25 PM

we'd be gone in a heartbeat...we'd wave bye smiling

Ain't gonna happen......***

Dec 6, 2012, 3:26 PM

exactly....we are committed because we don't have better

Dec 6, 2012, 3:28 PM

options...this is essentially it....we have one option and we've got to make the best of it. If a better option came along we'd take it.

Re: if the SEC came with an open door to Clemson tomorrow

Dec 6, 2012, 3:29 PM [ in reply to if the SEC came with an open door to Clemson tomorrow ]

Yes, you're right... But that's not happening. What we've got is better than any of the possible alternatives... So let's hope it works.

Agreed***

Dec 6, 2012, 3:30 PM

it's essentially the only option

Dec 6, 2012, 3:33 PM [ in reply to Re: if the SEC came with an open door to Clemson tomorrow ]

this note today had as much meaning as used toilet paper...we have no other options at this point that are worth pursuing.

What it means is that the member schools are working to....

Dec 6, 2012, 3:37 PM

improve the situation in spite of naysayers and whiners.

I think everyone will work together but obviously ALL are

Dec 6, 2012, 3:39 PM

going to answer the phone if another option comes along that's better. Budgets are tight...if someone comes along and offers more guaranteed money at the right/wrong time someone might be forced to make a tough decision. We've seen this over and over during the past few yrs....Kansas/Missouri 100 yr tradition over....OK/Nebraska over.....Texas/A&M over....Maryland/50 yr relationship with the ACC. Money won out in all of them.

Dec 6, 2012, 3:37 PM [ in reply to Re: if the SEC came with an open door to Clemson tomorrow ]

I hope it works but I don't think that it will...In my opinion the ony thing that saves the cnference is ND as a full member (Slim chance). Next best alternative is SEC (Small chance). The last alternative is BIG 12 along with other teams like FSU, Miami etc.(Best chance)

Dec 6, 2012, 7:18 PM [ in reply to if the SEC came with an open door to Clemson tomorrow ]

not until barker is GONE!!he is determined to keep us in the dying ACC until our sports programs was completely WORTHLESS!!

WHAT did you expect them to say. Better than all

Dec 6, 2012, 4:36 PM [ in reply to it says at this exact moment in time we are committed ]

the "informed rumors" 24/7 by some posters. By their sources GT, Va, NCS and VT should be gone.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why make this statement and not sign a GOR?

Dec 6, 2012, 3:38 PM

I think it basically said every man for themselves rather than giving assurance to the conference.

I just find it funny that the "premier league" has to have

Dec 6, 2012, 4:41 PM

stupid letters like these and $50 million dollar buyouts when most other conferences have nothing...

Says more to not have people bolting when there's no cost to them to do so, doesnt it?....

our conference reminds me of a celebrity couple with a

Dec 6, 2012, 4:58 PM

prenuptial agreement talking about how much they love each other and how committed they are to each other....but yet they have their attorneys review the agreement with a fine tooth comb and bicker over every point before finally signing.

Good move I guess and thanks President Barker. It

Dec 6, 2012, 4:44 PM

doesn't mean that much but if someone leaves soon after signing that, they would look like a complete weasel. That's somthing I guess.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think what matters to the Presidents and BOT's/BOR's

Dec 2, 2015, 10:05 PM

is their integrity. When ND joined the conference they all spoke of it. I doubt very seriously that this statement would have come out if it didn't mean anything.

This means the $50 million buyout requirement is meaningless

Dec 6, 2012, 5:06 PM

and could be done away with.

Dec 7, 2012, 8:25 AM

Statements like this usually come right before one of the schools makes an announcement that they really are leaving.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 73
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic