Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mickey Plyler's Blog: A Postseason Plan
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Mickey Plyler's Blog: A Postseason Plan

Dec 4, 2012, 10:44 AM

A Postseason Plan

A Postseason Plan
It is very clear to me and may other observers that the way we finish our college football season is completely broke. We will fix part of the problem in 2014 when we have our first playoff system in place but other problems still exist.

The hope is that eventually we

Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds good in theory, but will never happen because...

Dec 4, 2012, 10:54 AM

The reason for all the bowl games isn't for mediocre teams to go to a game, it's because when you are bowl eligible, the coaches get an extra 3-4 weeks of practice. That is extremely beneficial for the development of younger players, and extremely beneficial for the teams going to bowl games. If you allowed all teams to pratice in december regardless of bowl participation, then your system may work. Otherwise, the coaches and schools would never allow it to happen.

Re: Sounds good in theory, but will never happen because...

Dec 4, 2012, 4:22 PM

It's easy to come up with a plan that you like and makes sense. It's next to impossible to make that plan a reality. There are a number of reasons why this won't happen, at least in the short term.

Schools like the bowl system. It's a reward to the team and the coaches. It's another game for the football starved fans. It's a great excuse for a long weekend in a warm climate just before winter sets in. Coaches get to more practice for their veterans and they get to see how the younger guys are doing before they set up their spring practice plans.

Too many little guys get left out of this scenario. Too many non-destination cities lose their bowl games. I live in Hilton Head and know how much the Heritage means to our community. It's not Augusta and perhaps the sport of golf would be fine without it, but restaurants, hotels, and bars would all suffer. There are also a number of local charities that get a big chunk of their funding from in our case the Heritage and in the case of many of those smaller cities, their "minor" bowl game.

Whether or not a bowl game exists isn't dependent on whether sports writers or football fans in general think it should exist. It exists if it can make a profit and fill some hotel rooms.

16 Team playoff is the most fair

Dec 4, 2012, 9:36 PM [ in reply to Sounds good in theory, but will never happen because... ]

Been rehashed many a time, each winner of each FBS Conference + 5 wildcards determined by rankings.....

The reason "they" don't do this?

Yes, lots of games... fix, shorten the regular season.... I know, lost revenue, the pox on the cupcake games!

Lastly, the argument that one Conference is naturally more superior then another because ... bullchit! Line 'em up and prove it !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They are not making winning a conference a requirement

Dec 4, 2012, 10:58 AM

to get into the 4 team playoff. So that idea is out the window.

He's not making any predictions about how it will be

Dec 4, 2012, 11:41 AM

100% hypothetical

Mickey, stop confusing the public with logic!!***

Dec 4, 2012, 10:59 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jacksonville is a "destination" city?***

Dec 4, 2012, 11:01 AM

What about Los Angeles?***

Dec 4, 2012, 4:23 PM

Plans are well and good but a lack of a viable plan is not

Dec 4, 2012, 11:05 AM

the reason we have the system we have. There is too much resistance to change because the entities making money now might not make the money if we have a playoff, even though there will be more money to spread around.

I like your playoff rules, that would work.

But the other bowls shoudl bid for the right to pick teams, regardless of conference, and they can exist if they can make money at it. If 35 bowls can do it, so be it.

But the conference tie ins all the way down to #8 is ridiculous.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Using the bowls as playoff sites won't work.

Dec 4, 2012, 11:08 AM

People can't afford to travel to multiple cities in order to watch their favorite teams play and the locals prob. don't care about the teams involved. Ergo, the games wouldn't make any money from the gate. Campus sites are more logical locations except for the championship game. This is what happens at every other level of NCAA football and in the NFL - and for good reason. If there is a future for the bowls, it is as an NIT of sorts- create the best match-ups of the best teams who do not make the playoffs. In other words, the bowls as exhibition games (without conf. tie-ins), which was their original purpose.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word: Victory. Victory at all costs—Victory in spite of all terror—Victory, however long and hard the road may be..." - Winston Churchill

Re: Using the bowls as playoff sites won't work.

Dec 4, 2012, 11:36 AM

I think you fix that making them Regional still. So Clemson's lower "brackets" would be all in the Southeast until the later rounds. Such as Outback to Peach to Sugar. Yes you are still traveling but no worse than three trips to Boston College, FSU and Maryland. The NCAA Tourney does not seem to have attendence issues.

Basketball arenas don't hold 70,000+ either***

Dec 4, 2012, 11:56 AM

I like it but I'd put a stipulation to have OOC games

Dec 4, 2012, 11:13 AM

to try and eliminate rematches within conference.

I like conferences playing each other in bowls. I agree with the No Tie ins.

"broken" not "broke"

Dec 4, 2012, 11:16 AM

It is very clear to me and may other observers that the way we finish our college football season is completely broke.

The bowls, nor the schools are "broke"

The process is "broken"

Sorry Mickey, you lost me at one team can win MULTIPLE

Dec 4, 2012, 11:28 AM

bowls. That goes against everything college football has ever stood for. No reason for example Alabama should win the Sugar Bowl and the Rose Bowl.

If you want to do it with 8 then do it this way.

1 vs. 8 in Rose Bowl
2 vs. 7 in Sugar
3 vs. 6 in Orange
4 vs. 5 in Fiesta

The four winners then move on and the "playoffs" officially begin. If you win a semifinal game then you've just won your semifinal game and earned a berth in the NC.

For those who say there are "too many bowls"

Dec 4, 2012, 11:28 AM

I have a solution...if you don't like them, don't watch them. Personally, I love coming home every night during the last two weeks of the year knowing there will be a game on. Every bowl other than the national championship is just an exhibition in the current system anyway. FWIW, I think the eight team playoff the best, but who cares if there are extra games for lesser teams?

Simple answer. The players care. Bowls are rewards for all

Dec 4, 2012, 12:03 PM

those long days of practicing, studying film, pumping iron, and juggling academic requirements with an athletic schedule. This post is only looking at the perspective of the fans and doesn't address anything in regards to the players. Maybe someone could take the time to ask them how it should be. They're the ones living it and making it happen. We're just watching.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: For those who say there are "too many bowls"

Dec 4, 2012, 12:55 PM [ in reply to For those who say there are "too many bowls" ]

I agree. Turn it off if you are not interested; however, you watch way too much TV. Get a life.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So...

Dec 4, 2012, 2:35 PM

I make one post about watching a football game when I get home at night, and you know my life? Maybe it's you who should get one.

Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: A Postseason Plan

Dec 4, 2012, 11:42 AM

The good thing about having 70 teams go to bowl games is it gives those teams 15 more practices. And that has helped with parody in CFB, and has giving the majority of CFB teams more time to practice.
I'm one of those people that enjoy watching football no matter the level. I usually will watch at least part of all the bowl games.

I've only flamed you once before. but this is stupid

Dec 4, 2012, 12:23 PM

Exhibit A: Kent State 11-2, no bowl game. Yeah right. That makes sense. If Clemson was 8-4 your article would have allow for 42 bowl teams, or whatever it took to get them in. Sorry, but dumb idea.

Dec 4, 2012, 12:27 PM

I've seen a lot of different viable match-up solutions to the playoff bowls, but I've yet to see anyone mention how an 8 or 16 team playoff could be scheduled. The latest bowl game we currently have is on January 7 with conference championship week on December 1. That leaves five Saturdays in between. For an 8 team playoff, we could push the final game back another week in January and give each team two weeks to prepare per opponent, but that's still a lot to ask players and coaches to prepare for, especially with exams in the middle. I don't see how a 16 team playoff would be scheduled. One week to prepare for an unknown opponent in a destination city during exam week would be rough.

Dec 4, 2012, 12:30 PM

You know Mickey one thing about your statements above struck me....on one hand you are saying the system is broken because an 8-5 Wisconsin team is going to the Rose Bowl and the other advocating the playoff system. Didn't Wisconsin earn the right to go to the Rose Bowl by destroying Nebraska? Haven't we all said for a while that the problem with the system is that it is just a popularity contest? We need a playoff structure that rewards a complete body of work not just the winning of a conference championship. I don't like the conference tie in for that reason. Again unfortunately, it would still come down to perception. Right now that would mean that the SEC would get the most teams in the playoff (and maybe they should - much as it pains me to say so) but all things are cyclic and I see the SEC eventually deteriorating. All conferences have over time so I don't see why the SEC would be any different. All I am saying is that the best 8 teams should get in based on a panel of impartial (as much as they can be!) choosers. As the number dwindles to 4 it will be much more difficult to choose. For instance is KSt worse than Oregon or better than Florida? Should Georgia be penalized for losing to the #2 team in the nation? Should three teams from one conference play in the playoff? What if they have already played each other? Should the loser be eliminated? I see more questions than answers. Lets face it we are never going to be happy with the selection process. If the number is 4 then #5 and above will say they got robbed. We see it every year with the NCAA BB tournament. Someone is always pi$$ed off!

My plan is this...we form 4 super-conferences with the 48 best teams in the nation who have to play everyone in their conference to determine the conference champions (12 games). Then the 4 champions will play in a playoff. Basically the whole season becomes a playoff. No out of conference teams or games would be allowed. The best team would rise to the top of each conference in head to head competition to determine the conference champion. Maybe to allow the lower tier teams a chance we have a wildcard game that allows the lower tier champion to play the #4 seeded conference champion in a short week wildcard game. Now that would be fun!!!!

Dec 4, 2012, 12:50 PM

When did Jacksonville, FL get to be a "destination city?" Give me a break.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Obviously never been to a Gator Bowl. Tradition merits it.***

Dec 4, 2012, 12:53 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Obviously never been to a Gator Bowl. Tradition merits it.***

Dec 4, 2012, 1:01 PM

other than the BIG FOUR Gator is BY FAR the best of all the bowls!and swoffie lost it for us!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

**yawn**

Dec 4, 2012, 1:05 PM

no argument.
sounds good but cash is King.

until ESPN annoints the next format, it will not change.

Too many bowls?

Dec 4, 2012, 1:20 PM

I don't know about that, but I do believe we should change the number of wins it takes to be eligible. The number was set at 6 when there was a 10 game schedule. Now we play 12. Raise the eligibility by just one game. I love watching as many games as I can during the Christmas Holiday, and a lot of times a smaller school will surprise us, but I think it should be a reward for the season. With the weak out of conference schedules and the extra games, I don't think 6 wins qualifies as a reward anymore.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like it!

Dec 4, 2012, 1:56 PM

Just removing the meaningless "also ran" bowls would make the ones that count more exciting and attract more viewership in my opinion. I honestly am shocked these meaningless bowls are able to attract sponsors when no one watches and no one really attends.

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

So what do you propose for the Conference Champions of the

Dec 4, 2012, 2:56 PM

Sun Belt, WAC, Conf USA, Mid-Atlantic, Mountain West?

There has to be another level.

The whole process is messed up. This new thing is just anot

Dec 4, 2012, 3:52 PM

another bandaide that will not make the masses happy. And their in lies the problem. And any "proposal" that is currently built off of the current college football landscape is not going to be any better.

For the system to work better, the whold system needs to be scrapped. Everyone would have to be willing to give/ share money evenly. New Divisions would have to be formed so that divisons could yeild a champion, that would compete for a regional championship, that would lead to a final 4 and national champion.

But for this to happen atheletic departments would have to sacarfice control, and that is something that is not going to happen.

To make this thing right, to many things would have to change. And no one wants to let go. So what we have is what we have, and it really is not going to change.

LNT

Microcosm of the current financial order in general.***

Dec 4, 2012, 5:35 PM

Atlanta must have a bowl.....no way to lose their success.

Dec 4, 2012, 5:30 PM

One of the very best in attendance and non BCS payouts. Entertsaini ng city and indoor stadium.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great Start! Only glaring concern

Dec 4, 2012, 5:40 PM

Washington DC as a destination city?

Tempe, San Antonio or Houston would be better weather and better stadiums.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Dec 5, 2012, 9:05 PM

Sixteen team playoff. Ten game regular season. Conference champs ONLY. This would encourage smaller, regional conferences and reverse TV's inevitable march toward eating the goose that laid the golden egg.

Have a second tier playoff. CONFERENCES apply two or three years in advance for top-tier consideration. OK, so there'll be two champs, a top-tier and a second- and maybe third-tier champ. Let the speculation roll. So effin what. Like high school. More teams can say "we are champs." That's a good thing.

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic