Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Update: Spurrier and Clowney comments on Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 1

Football Update: Spurrier and Clowney comments on Clemson

Nov 25, 2012, 8:34 AM

Spurrier and Clowney comments on Clemson

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They are correct in those statements.***

Nov 25, 2012, 8:36 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football Update: Spurrier and Clowney comments on Clemson

Nov 25, 2012, 8:37 AM

I won't speak for everybody.....but I have no interest in what either of those ##### have to say.

Second that....

Nov 25, 2012, 8:39 AM

Although they earned the right to say what they want.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Right now, you are speaking for me!***

Nov 25, 2012, 8:53 AM [ in reply to Re: Football Update: Spurrier and Clowney comments on Clemson ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Gamecocks aren’t ready to take college football by storm just yet. They’re not even ready to compete in their own state – Clemson will still own the territory. Gamecocks fans would be smart to keep their heads buried until that time. Avoid talking trash to a much better Clemson program.” -Dustin Tackett

Well, if somehow we manage to win next year Clowney just

Nov 25, 2012, 8:39 AM

gave us something to put on a billboard

Re: Well, if somehow we manage to win next year Clowney just

Nov 25, 2012, 8:40 AM

Don't bet the farm

Nov 25, 2012, 8:46 AM [ in reply to Well, if somehow we manage to win next year Clowney just ]

I don't care what Clowney says or what Spurrier says if we could not win last night with everything in our favor....do you honestly think we are going to Columbia in 2013 and win?

Nov 25, 2012, 9:53 AM

Emphatically YES!! Our freshmen and sophomores will have another year under their belts and our coaches will have another year under their belts. Spurrier has been at SC for 8 years. Dabo has not been at Clemson 8 years. We will be fine!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe the joke is on us...

Nov 25, 2012, 8:56 AM [ in reply to Well, if somehow we manage to win next year Clowney just ]

For years, we ridiculed SC fans for their unabashed love of the SEC. However, as we see every year, SEC teams take conference pride seriously. When an SEC team succeeds, the selfsame team and its fellow conference members often boast "SEC, SEC, SEC!" The conference's fans and coaches remind me of an old adage about Afghan (methinks) tribesmen.

I against my brother.
My brother and I against our cousins.
My brother, my cousins, and I against the world.

Such fanatical solidarity means something. It creates a hyper-competitive environment which encourages teams to get better and represent the conference well. This situation has led to a national reputation and lucrative television contracts.

In the meanwhile, Clemson fans seethe with ill will for the ACC and rejoice in the failures of each individual member.

Which conference model for fandom is working out better?

Re: Maybe the joke is on us...

Nov 25, 2012, 11:24 AM

I don't know about you, but I didn't want FSU to lose and make the ACC look bad.

Bingo!

Nov 25, 2012, 1:54 PM [ in reply to Maybe the joke is on us... ]

You are on to something very important, but little appreciated by Joe Sixpack fans. Six straight national championships from the SEC, soon to be seven, is a huge recruiting tool even if your team did not win the NC

Re: I think Taj is less interested in what is on the....

Nov 25, 2012, 9:14 AM [ in reply to Well, if somehow we manage to win next year Clowney just ]

bulletin board than in finding anybody who can block Clowney.

Re: I think Taj is less interested in what is on the....

Nov 25, 2012, 9:28 AM

we are not going to get in the sec, we had our chances to go that conference many years ago and didnt. sc got out of the acc and played an independant schedule and took their licks and finally joind the sec and took their lumps and now it is paying off for them big time. we cant dwell on the acc, but we MUST dwell on winning. we can recruit with the big boys if we win. if we had just won at fsu we would have been in the hunt for the nc this year with a god awful defense! just keep on winning.

clowney is probably right

Nov 25, 2012, 8:41 AM

I dont see us beating them anytime soon

Re: clowney is probably right

Nov 25, 2012, 9:58 AM

That sounds exactly like the old USC when they had a negative attitude. They did something about it and now they have a positive attitude about winning. We are fine and we keep recruiting well, like SC has done, and we will be fine. It hurts right now,I know!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm sure Clowney didn't write his

Nov 25, 2012, 8:41 AM

(All the words are spelled correctly). But there is truth in what was said. Those of you who think simply moving to a different conference will right the ship couldn't be more wrong. We will just be exposed more frequently.

We have the players. We just don't have the attitude or the physical play on the LOS.

And you miss the point about switching conferences

Nov 25, 2012, 8:48 AM

completely. If we will be exposed even further than we either fix the problem which will help us compete against our rival or we go 7-5 and coaches lose their jobs. Either way the problem corrects itself. Right now we have a head coach who says we had a great season even though we lost to our rival for the fourth straight year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^ very true***

Nov 25, 2012, 8:52 AM

O I agree

Nov 25, 2012, 8:58 AM [ in reply to And you miss the point about switching conferences ]

My point was that simply increasing competition alone isn't going to fix anything. Other changes need to be made.

I agree the faster they are exposed the faster they will be fixed. But at the same time they can be fixed where we are now.

I have always advocated getting out of the ACC, but for monetary reasons as well a to get away from the Big 4.

good points***

Nov 25, 2012, 9:10 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

so which conference is as good as the SEC?

Nov 25, 2012, 9:08 AM [ in reply to And you miss the point about switching conferences ]

the way I see it, if we can't get in the SEC, there's no point in switching conferences AT THIS TIME.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Re: And you miss the point about switching conferences

Nov 25, 2012, 10:00 AM [ in reply to And you miss the point about switching conferences ]

10-2 is a great season!! Could it have been better, yes!!!

Re: And you miss the point about switching conferences

Nov 25, 2012, 8:24 PM

"Great season?" As a loyal tiger fan, I just can't buy that Kool Aid, as much as I'd like to. Fact: We didn't beat anybody; lost to the only 2 decent teams we played.
Make that 1 decent team, since Fla. State got thouroughly exposed by Florida (yep, another SEC team). Second rate S&C and player development, and I don't believe Dabo's going to fix it; he thinks were great in that area.

Clowney doesn't know how it feels

Nov 25, 2012, 9:51 AM

To take SAT either and he never will

Re: Clowney doesn't know how it feels

Nov 25, 2012, 7:25 PM

Clowney would be playing for the Tigers if he had wanted to! Don't know how smart he is, but he sure can play football. These type of comments are stupid and make Tiger fans look like the sore losers many here have become.

Clowney's probably right.***

Nov 25, 2012, 10:30 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 25, 2012, 11:09 AM

I noticed on Facebook last night and today that the #### Lovers keep posting the picture of Swearinger taunting Andre Ellington. But they neglect to say he was flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct.

South Carolina football is a no class program from the coach all the way down to players and fans. They are arrogant when they win (which historically isn't often) and cry like babies when they lose. Despite last night, I am so glad to be a TIGER and support a program with much higher standards of conduct.

Nov 25, 2012, 11:26 AM

I know what you mean. When Sammy got caught smoking weed, he handled it with class.

Way to win with class Spurrier ***

Nov 25, 2012, 11:54 AM

Dabo can't really think this was a great season.

Nov 25, 2012, 11:58 AM

Can he?

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

4 comments....

Nov 25, 2012, 12:44 PM

And all 4 are correct. As I have posted before, they are better in every sport than us..flame on. Things changed in 1992 and it will never go back. We lost our way and they found theirs.

Re: 4 comments....

Nov 25, 2012, 12:59 PM

it comes back to money. In the last few years their athletics budget has exploded and ours has been relatively stagnant. When your rival has 25% more money then this is what will happen.

Nov 25, 2012, 1:47 PM

I would say it is a combination of things:

money
conference affiliation
recruiting
fan bases

South Carolina hired Steve Spurrier and they collectively sold recruits on the idea that they could make history at South Carolina and play against the best teams in the country. (and eventually become one of them) They still have a terrible campus (located in a lame city) and play in a stadium that is part of a chicken farm, but they
have found a way to recruit top football players to The University of South Carolina.

Clemson has been held back by their coaching transitions, affiliations with a conference that isn't perceived to be one of college football's elite conferences, (in football) and a fractured fan base that can't agree what color our players should wear. I think if Clemson fans worked together, they would be able to get a lot more accomplished and make Clemson special again.

Nov 25, 2012, 5:03 PM

I also wonder how legit their athletic success has been, (including their national championships in baseball) considering the NCAA found their athletic department to
have lost institutional control.

(and that is based on what they found out about...)

Nov 25, 2012, 1:33 PM

Kendall is wrong. Spurrier opened with "We are very fortunate.". He also mentioned Clemson is a very good team. Kendall likes to stir the pot.

Guess that confirms Clowney is 3 and out******

Nov 25, 2012, 1:46 PM

Nov 25, 2012, 2:47 PM

Well no offense (no pun intended), but the announcers last night attributed to Dabo those exact comments. Said SC didn't beat them and all the Tigers needed to do was to go out and not beat themselves to be successful.

I guess for once it would be nice to hear from the opposing team whom you beat 4 years in a row that maybe "they played better than us." Spurrier will say we got our butt whipped every time it happens.

Ok, SCar beat Clemson last night, happy now? Now go peck

Nov 25, 2012, 5:06 PM

Dirt

I guess you miss him saying this

Nov 25, 2012, 5:10 PM [ in reply to Re: Football Update: Spurrier and Clowney comments on Clemson ]

“They disrupted our rhythm. We only got two plays in the third quarter and their 86 plays to our 59 was huge. You have to give them a lot of credit. Tonight was very disappointing. We played with great effort but that third quarter drive was critical.”

On South Carolina quarterback Dylan Thompson:

“We couldn’t disrupt him. He threw the ball incredibly well. He was the difference in the game. We just couldn’t turn the momentum. Overall, you have to give them credit. They made just enough plays and ran the ball just enough to keep us off balance.”

Sounds like he was giving them credit

Nov 25, 2012, 8:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Football Update: Spurrier and Clowney comments on Clemson ]

You are suprised? That's Dabo. We are physically dominated in every phase of the game and he implied that we beat ourselves?? He gives new meaning to the term "denial'" and bodes ill for the future.

The SADDEST PART....

Nov 25, 2012, 7:14 PM

they(USACar) are better than Clemson at every sport!!
(right now)

Are we better in golf? Just asking...
Not sure Brownell,Leggett and Dabo~ "Get it"

If SC beats us at their place next year, not only will it be

Nov 25, 2012, 7:24 PM

the first 5 game winning streak ever for them, but the first time for either side since before the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. Dang.

Their both right. Meeting adjourned

Nov 25, 2012, 7:51 PM

nm

Replies: 43
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic