Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Hood: Escape plan needed
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 65
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Hood: Escape plan needed

Nov 20, 2012, 9:09 PM

Hood: Escape plan needed

The news broke this weekend that Maryland was bolting for the Big 10, and Clemson's administration needs to have an escape plan of its own in place in case other ACC schools seek riches elsewhere. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My suggestion would be tye a life raft one each on the FSU

Nov 20, 2012, 9:20 PM

and GT Ships so wherever they go -we go.

thats what i hope, i want us 3 together in a league***

Nov 20, 2012, 9:29 PM

Those are all that matters for sure.

Nov 20, 2012, 9:51 PM

As for the ACC, they were willing to not only lock FSU in (50 million exit fee) but also pay them to stay via everyone else. Lets not forget that and the fact that our administration is in so tight to regards to all.

Clemson is not in the cold here!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Those are all that matter for sure.

Nov 20, 2012, 9:53 PM

typo

RUMOR I HEARD TODAY

Nov 21, 2012, 5:40 PM [ in reply to thats what i hope, i want us 3 together in a league*** ]

Take this for what its worth, and no I'm not by any accounts saying its true. FOr now, its just meant to
be taken as a fun read.

Friend of mine called me today after speaking earlier
in the day to someone he knew who said basicly...

(from a Clemson cop)

"clemson is leaving the ACC,definitely. The announcement
will come after the bowl (Mid Jan)"

Take that for what its worth, and right now..not much
And don't ask, how that cop knows that...like to know
that myself.

Re: Front Page Story: Hood: Escape plan needed

Nov 20, 2012, 9:20 PM

Awesome article David...I totally agree!

Nov 20, 2012, 9:49 PM

SHHHHHHHHHH!!! There are some real hard core acc homers on here that will report you to the front office in a heart beat. Treason will be branded to your fore head.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great article.Lets compare our football team's

Nov 20, 2012, 9:22 PM

conference issues with the death of 1500 people.

Common metaphor. Unrustle your jimmies.***

Nov 20, 2012, 9:23 PM

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Common metaphor. Unrustle your jimmies.***

Nov 20, 2012, 9:49 PM

While this article makes sense, I have to believe that our administration is aware of the need for alternative plans. What concerns me is that this is the week of the SC game & it seems that there is way, way too much talk about the lack of post season awards for players, a lack of respect in polls, wanting to play ND, possible bowl games, to go or not to go pro, and alternative plans for ACC membership. Let's get refocused folks. NONE of that matters if we lose this week for a 4th time to SC. Let's cut out all of the extraneous BS and focus on what is at hand and what is readily under our influence and stop chasing these windmills. All of the other stuff will work out provided we beat SC.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Common metaphor. Unrustle your jimmies.***

Nov 20, 2012, 9:58 PM

Ahhhhhh, maybe after we take the coots down on Saturday. The sec will kick them out and bring us in. ROFLMAO;)!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No offense, but our talk has no effect on how they play this

Nov 20, 2012, 10:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Common metaphor. Unrustle your jimmies.*** ]

Saturday. Their focus is on the game. The coaches make sure of that. if they can't focus on a rival that has none of them have beaten, then we got bigger problems than this stuff to worry about. Thats why we have an administration who needs to hear for the fans that pay their salary and support the AD to guide us through this mess. If we don't speak up for the team, then we all get what we deserve. Go Tigers

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

Fans don't need to focus on SCar. We can do anything we want***

Nov 20, 2012, 11:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Common metaphor. Unrustle your jimmies.*** ]

in 1912? My god***

Nov 20, 2012, 9:30 PM [ in reply to Great article.Lets compare our football team's ]

Too soon?***

Nov 20, 2012, 11:27 PM [ in reply to Great article.Lets compare our football team's ]

Good lord, let's just unname the ship in the picture then

Nov 21, 2012, 9:31 AM [ in reply to Great article.Lets compare our football team's ]

Noone is offended. His point is very well made and very reflective of where our athletiics could be headed if our admin is not careful. That lifeboat will have socon on the side of it.

Excellent analysis

Nov 20, 2012, 9:23 PM

I think the ship is taking on water, the Syracuse and Pitt bulkheads have failed and Notre dame is circling in the news chopper...time for the tigers to get the best seat on the big 12 raft.

Little dramatic with a picture of the titanic

Nov 20, 2012, 9:31 PM

don't ya think?

This is definitley shaping up to be more of a Hindenburg

Nov 20, 2012, 9:51 PM

moment anyways.

Agree 100%. I get blasted for saying that our administration

Nov 20, 2012, 9:39 PM

needs to be sitting on ready. And invite, or no invite, they need to be working the phones, schmoozing. doing what they get paid to do. Not a good time for a transition in the athletic director's seat. I hope TDP didn't know something we didn't that made him want to retire. I hope he hadn't decided there was no way out for Clemson and he didn't want it to be on his watch.

Ughhh, that thought just gave me a

Nov 20, 2012, 10:17 PM

very sick feeling. Hopefully, if he did see this coming down the pipe, he realized that he could not handle it and wanted to give the Clemson the chance to get someone who can.

If the MD thing blindsided everyone as appears to be the

Nov 21, 2012, 9:34 AM

Case, I doubt TDP was the only one wo knew

Clemson, FSU , Va Tech and Miami/GT to the SEC ??***

Nov 20, 2012, 9:42 PM

NC State and VTech lead.

Nov 20, 2012, 9:52 PM

VTech boards saying SECede.

Clemson and FSU to Big 12. Offer is on the table right now.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

what offer is on what table? link?***

Nov 20, 2012, 10:28 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FAT TAX NOW!

Might as well ask for a million dollars while you

Nov 20, 2012, 10:34 PM

are at it.

Re: Clemson, FSU , Va Tech and Miami/GT to the SEC ??***

Nov 20, 2012, 9:53 PM [ in reply to Clemson, FSU , Va Tech and Miami/GT to the SEC ??*** ]

UGA, COOTS, FLA says don't even look toward the sec. It ain't happening. VT maybe!!!

They already have 14. They only need 2 more to get to 16

Nov 20, 2012, 10:03 PM [ in reply to Clemson, FSU , Va Tech and Miami/GT to the SEC ??*** ]

It is a buisness decision for the conferences that are in the drivers seat....that's why the SEC wants NCSU and VT- more TVs in new markets for larger # of Contract deals- not for better football. The ACC can't get better contracts because the football product has sucked. That's why we need ND and other powerhouses in football. Problem is, there isn't many ripe for the picking. In the meantime, the ship is sinking.....do we have a plan to bail if needed. If the ACC doesn't get a 'Penn State' and ND as full members, then we will be forced to bail. I hope the SEC chooses to pick "better football" over TV sets and takes FSU and us. Hang on tight boys, it's gonna be a bumpy ride.

RUMORS......Clemson to the..

Nov 21, 2012, 9:25 AM [ in reply to Clemson, FSU , Va Tech and Miami/GT to the SEC ??*** ]

Big 12,along with Miami,FSU and Ga tech.
Duke and UNC to the Big 10
Nc State and Va Tech to the SEC
and Boston College and Wake left out in the cold.

FEAR NOT! All is well on the RMS James Barker! (lol)***

Nov 20, 2012, 10:14 PM

nm

Screw this: Beat the #####!!!!

Nov 20, 2012, 10:18 PM

I will think about this Sunday (after church, of course Rev).

Now THIS is HD at its finest!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Texas fans are begging for Clemson to the Big 12.

Nov 20, 2012, 10:39 PM

I was just surfing their board, and couldn't help but strike a grin after reading this:

"Clemson's the most desirable program of the lot, in my book. It's tradition-rich, has a rabid fanbase & a spectacular venue nestled in the hills of SC, has been steadily emerging onto the national stage under Dabo, and it's a respected academic institution, consistently receiving high marks amongst public schools on the East Coast.

It's certainly one of the hottest programs in America, at the moment, and would add firepower to the conference. I believe Clemson is going to be a force to be reckoned with over the next decade. Dabo's either one hell of a recruiter, or they have a deep gold vault & some very generous boosters, as they've been battling the likes of Alabama, Florida, and UGA for the southeast's biggest recruits... and in many instances, landing these kids.

When it's all said and done, I really hope these guys are in the Big 12."

Re: Texas fans are begging for Clemson to the Big 12.

Nov 20, 2012, 10:43 PM

Its all nice and everything to read the sentiments of one generous Longhorn fan, but believe me, Texas fans believe themselves to be an island unto themselves. They believe they could exist singly better than Notre Dame, and honestly, they can make a financial case for their argument.

Clemson getting involved with the University of Texas in an athletic conference would be a bad, bad deal for the Tigers, IMO>

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed & their desperation is utterly hilarious.***

Nov 20, 2012, 10:51 PM

There's a reason Morris/Venables came to Clemson. They

Nov 20, 2012, 11:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Texas fans are begging for Clemson to the Big 12. ]

saw the recruiting potential and how strategically placed Clemson sits in the Southeast. They left there to start something here. It's happening and there's nothing that Texas or anyone else can do about it. ESPiN, AJC, CBS, SECers,.... too late. The foundation is set and things are only going to get better. It's all about the culture change.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And there's more...

Nov 20, 2012, 11:06 PM

"They weren't that good until Chad Morris got there 2 years ago. They lost to friggin FIU in the bowl before that. They hadn't won an ACC championship since like 1991 before last year."

"And your point? Alabama was a train wreck in the early '00s. Clemson appears to have turned the corner under Dabo & Morris, and will be a big-swinging #### for many years to come. They're likely going to be a top-5 team next season, and with the way they've been recruiting, it's hard to see them slipping back into mediocrity.

I like what they bring to the table, even more so than FSU."

Hilarious.

Re: And there's more...

Nov 21, 2012, 9:30 AM

can you kindly go back on that board and inform them that the bowl loss was to USF, not FIU... and simply for that comment I am withdrawing my committment from the Big 12? haha

Great article...love the graphic

Nov 20, 2012, 11:12 PM

You even got some Tarheel blue on the ship. How appropriate!

I wish I had more faith in our Administration to look out for CLEMSON'S best interest.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ACC football under Swoffy is a DOOOSHRAFT, Swoffy shud

Nov 20, 2012, 11:19 PM

be Fired, killed, & his house burned down for his #### leadership.

we have one less school now and are gonna gain a school that ISN'T EVEN a partner in football.

WHAT A STUPID ####### IDEA THAT IS

null

How about focus on beating the Coots A**

Nov 20, 2012, 11:19 PM

This is ridiculous.............get Notre Dame to man up, Louisville wouldn't be a bad replacement as well. ACC has a BCS lock with the Orange Bowl. I say everyone stays put and quit freaking out. I'm glad Maryland's gone.........Now, can focus on what really matters like beating the #### coots on Saturday........why right this article dude.........pathetic crying..........the ACC is only a few years away from being great.......don't be such a p****!

Re: How about focus on beating the Coots A**

Nov 20, 2012, 11:21 PM

and yes I'm aware of the grammatical errors

*write

As if Clemson has a big TV market & is in the driver's seat.

Nov 20, 2012, 11:46 PM

As if Clemson can just pick what conference to go to.

As if some commissioner's choice would be based on Clemson schmoozing him, rather TV markets, bowl revenue, academics, etc.

As if Swofford has a clue.

I'd be happy if Barker would even entertain an offer to join another conference if it came. I think he'd jump at the chance to join the Ivy League, but I'm not sure about him jumping to any other league.

Unfortunately, Notre Dame's resurgence will probably propel them to another NBC deal and several more years of independence. Otherwise the ACC's best solution would be for ND to replace UMD.

The problem for Clemson is that it's a relatively small big-league school with no major TV market and an in-state rival that won't want Clemson to join the SEC.

TERRIBLE IMAGE & TIMING! Need to focus on Saturday!!***

Nov 21, 2012, 12:38 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TERRIBLE IMAGE & TIMING! Need to focus on Saturday!!***

Nov 21, 2012, 7:42 AM

I agree we need to win staurday..but the future of this program is at a crossroads and this sibject needs to be brought up and discussed...becuase others are talking and making plans

I think its hilarious that so many people are offended by a

Nov 21, 2012, 12:42 AM

picture James Cameron and Di Caprio made 2 Billion off of.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 21, 2012, 1:23 AM

Pitt has made some serious investments in its facilities, and I think moving to the ACC was a part of their plan to escalate their program. With a new move to the ACC and new facilities, it's not hard to believe they could leverage that to step up recruiting. Add to that they have beaten UNC and UK in bowl games in the past few years, and they've proven they can compete at least at a level better than MD has in the last decade. Pitt also has a much bigger and more spread out fan base (money).

Syracuse.......well, they did dethrone Louisville this year. But I'm not as sure about their long term football prospects. And I'm not sure if they bring in more fan revenue for football, but certainly they will for basketball.

Clemson may not need to work too hard on a plan to bolt just yet. (YET is the key word)

Nov 21, 2012, 6:35 AM

The ACC should be proactive and go after Penn State. Great football tradition.

Nov 21, 2012, 10:42 AM

Question is, would Penn St. even be interested in the acc with it's poor reputation in the FB world.

This makes me want to quit reading TigerNet

Nov 21, 2012, 6:50 AM

An escape plan? Seriously? A picture of the titanic? Fanning the flames so that the TN community makes it clear to recruits the ACC is done. Why commit, right?

Some things don't need to be said. It's why the single salient point of the article is that Maryland snuck up on everyone (aka you). They understood things didn't need to be said.

Thank You.....Well Said!...(A little Long)...

Nov 21, 2012, 7:32 AM

I was thinking the same thing....This is becoming another media driven frenzy that is going to get the fan base all lathered up and scaring the Hades out of recruits....again!

Couldn't we at least wait until the end of the season to deal with this? In 3 days, Clemson plays one of its biggest game and I have to tell you that stories like this are distracting and if we come out flat and play sloppy, I will blame in part stuff like this......

Clemson will be fine...We are a strong national brand that TV likes...Our Colors, fan base, stadium and explosive offense is all things that will always protect us. If the ACC collapses, we will be fine.

What I don't want to see is a knee-jerk reaction to something that may not exist. Right all we have lost is a bad program that cannot manage its money and contributes little to nothing to the ACC brand. The addition of a place like Louisville would immediately improve the ACC and I would be fin with that.

We know the Big 12 would take us....that is obvious. They only have 10 teams and plenty of room to grow. The SEC is still a possibility which if we jumped shipped should be our first place to relocate if needed and would hope the powers that be would be working in that direction.

But let's just focus on South Carolina and sto this drama for at least the rest of the week!

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

Re: This makes me want to quit reading TigerNet

Nov 21, 2012, 7:44 AM [ in reply to This makes me want to quit reading TigerNet ]

bye,,,,dont come back

Because recruits would run away from Clemson if...

Nov 21, 2012, 9:19 AM [ in reply to This makes me want to quit reading TigerNet ]

...there were rumors that Clemson was going to the SEC....yeah, riiiiiiight. LOL!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Like recruits read only TNet & it's not mentioned elsewhere!***

Nov 22, 2012, 10:54 AM [ in reply to This makes me want to quit reading TigerNet ]

Nov 21, 2012, 6:57 AM

The only problem with Clemson's escape plan is the $50,000,000 ticket they bought to stay on a ship that was allready leaking water.

Nov 21, 2012, 7:20 AM

ND got what it wanted and is not coming any closer to this conference, especially with the frantic "sinking ship" mentality that is already present. ACC is picking at the BigEast scraps while the big boys get their power conferences. Swofford is working on his bball conference and football is now in the back seat no matter how much money it pulls. Tobacco road croneys own the conference. SEC won't pick up Clemson as they own the SE in TV market and Big12 isn't that attractive to the education proud ACC as the student athletes would be too affected by the extensive travel needs for that conference.

Nov 21, 2012, 7:46 AM

great post Agen7_Orange

Some of you need to chill out

Nov 21, 2012, 7:48 AM

There is no need to get offended that this discussion is taking place. Everyone realizes that our biggest game of the season is on Saturday. I, and hopefully others, know how to multitask and discuss things other than the game. Fans talking about conference expansion should have nothing to do with the football team's focus and preparation for the game.

In my opinion, the ACC is at a critical juncture. Many may think that the loss of Maryland is no big deal, but it really is. The ACC must pick up an additional member and none of the options out there position the ACC to have a competitive advantage over the other conferences. I think the biggest concern should be keeping the remaining ACC institutions in tact rather than worry about a replacement member in the short term. Losing an FSU, GT, VT, UVA, UNC or NC State would be a devastating blow to the conference. More importantly, a devastating blow to Clemson.

Us beating SC or FSU beating Florida would be great for the conference. However, it may not be a prerequisite for a UVA or and NC State to remain in the ACC. Clemson does need to be ready if any defection transpires.

Again, who cares about the timing of it. Maryland did what they did, when they did it. It appears to me that there is much more traction to the expansion this time around than the Dude's predictions last year. I usually only read two Clemson sports sites and both of them are discussing it this go around. The new AD and TDP's departure add additional speculation on my part that another domino MAY fall.

SEC would be my top choice, but don't know if it is in the cards. Who knows? I just hope Clemson is prepared and I appreciate the article by David Hood.

Go Tigers, beat the #####!

Re: Some of you need to chill out

Nov 21, 2012, 8:15 AM

awesome post kpropes....these ACC homers have had their heads in the sand for a long time

Multitasking=Distraction

Nov 21, 2012, 8:17 AM [ in reply to Some of you need to chill out ]

I totally understand and respect your POV, but this discussion can wait a week.....

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

Nov 21, 2012, 7:51 AM

replace Maryland with NAVY ... adds 6 NotreDame games instead of 5.. keeps the DC market and adds more national and international market than Maryland...

I do not think Clemson needs an exit plan... I do not want to imagine not playing GaTech and a couple of NC schools every year.

Nov 21, 2012, 8:15 AM

better get that imagination cranked up....

Nov 21, 2012, 9:26 AM

if it happens....no need to imagine it... I will see it and still pull for the Tigers... I do not think it would be in the best interest of the school or any of our athletic teams. I we go undefeated we will be in the running for the 4 team playoff where we are... If the ACC stopped scheduling FCS teams the tv money would go up.... does anyone really want to see Clemson beat up on a small instate team?

Nov 21, 2012, 10:25 AM

there are several 2 loss teams ranked above us now with one loss...what makes u think that if we are undefeated there wouldn't be one loss teams ranked above us?

David, you should've used SPUD's drawing!!! *****

Nov 21, 2012, 9:30 AM

Actually Clemson puts a lot

Nov 22, 2012, 11:16 AM

Of viewers in front of tv's.

There was some kind of study out last year that showed just that

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Replies: 65
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic