Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Swinney says he would love to play top-ranked irish, says polls are "ridiculous"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 50
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Swinney says he would love to play top-ranked irish, says polls are "ridiculous"

Nov 20, 2012, 12:34 PM

Swinney says he would love to play top-ranked irish, says polls are "ridiculous"

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney said Tuesday that he doesn't understand Clemson's lack of respect in the rankings, and that he thinks the Tigers can line up and play with any program in the country. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Swinney says he would love to play top-ranked irish, says polls are "ridiculous"

Nov 20, 2012, 12:49 PM

I think the whole thing here is normally beating Auburn would help. No one could have predicted how lights out terrible they would be this year though. Ball has done well in the MAC and beat Indiana so that is something but beating Furman doesnt get you anything. Then most of the ACC teams we played have been middling at best so those wins arent boosting ou rating much either.

We've done well and played well but the only big time team we played we lost to unfortunately.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, but we have drilled those teams, not just beat them, &

Nov 20, 2012, 12:56 PM

shouldn't be punished for those teams losses. They are not ours. Especially when you take in our 2 to 1 scoring average when beating those teams.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Swinney says he would love to play top-ranked irish, says polls are "ridiculous"

Nov 20, 2012, 7:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Swinney says he would love to play top-ranked irish, says polls are "ridiculous" ]

When TB was consistently taking us to 4 loss seasons, the doom and gloom on these boards was rampant. Now we're 10-1 and nothing has changed. The sentiment I get from most of these post is we could be 1-10, and as long as that one win was against the coots, we were successful. Ridiculous! We win, Dabo gets criticized for not winning big enough. He gets asked a question, he criticized for not answering totally out of context and going off on the coots. He can't win with most of you. I don't guess anyone can. In the meantime, I'm proud of our Tigers and I'm a Dabo fan. He shows integrity and sportsmanship and quite frankly, that's a lost attribute these days.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did anyone ask him about Maryland leaving, future conference

Nov 20, 2012, 12:58 PM

expansion, etc.?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Be Careful with that question....

Nov 20, 2012, 1:49 PM

Some people will get upset that you're not talking asking questions directly related to the coots.

LOL.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I sometimes wonder...

Nov 20, 2012, 1:06 PM

if Dabo has a passion for this rivalry yet.
Doesn't seem that way (TO ME)

Re: I sometimes wonder...

Nov 20, 2012, 1:07 PM

you serious lol? Did you not see the rant last year?

some of y'all mistake rah-rah for wins..we lost to that team

Nov 20, 2012, 2:24 PM

on the field and he did that rant after the game. Talk is cheap unless it's backed up on the field

win saturday and the speech has meaning, lose 4th straight and that speech was worthless

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That rant / speech / monologue / dissertation from our Coach

Nov 20, 2012, 2:47 PM

was:

1. DEAD ON THE MONEY regarding our University and that wanna-be, dump in the armpit of our state - REGARDLESS of how many we have lost in a row or how many we have won in a row. TOTALLY unrelated issues.

and

2. TELLS ME WITHOUT A DOUBT that CDS GETS the rivalry. He gets it. Period.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Nov 20, 2012, 1:17 PM [ in reply to I sometimes wonder... ]

I've felt like that too. I have never questioned Dabo's desire to win, but I always felt the he (and the coaches staff in general) looked at the SC games as just 1 loss in a season. It is so much more than that. ACC championships are nice, but you have to beat the Shamecocks first.

BING-O (thank u)***

Nov 20, 2012, 1:58 PM

Can either of you gentlemen explain...

Nov 20, 2012, 8:17 PM

..where the hell you get that from? Please cite something tangible, i.e. not your "feelings". Thanks.

Nov 20, 2012, 10:47 PM [ in reply to Re: I sometimes wonder... ]

Their always last...where they belong.
:)

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 21, 2012, 1:06 AM [ in reply to I sometimes wonder... ]

I think he does, because he knows his paycheck is ultimately gonna depend on it. The good thing is I garauntee morris and venables want to send a message saturday

Nov 20, 2012, 1:23 PM

Offense yes. But Dabo, Tigers can not line up with a very poor and porous defensive secondary. Just can't do it. The offense carried Tigers Saturday as they have on numerous occasions this year.

Yeah - I'd much rather our head coach come out and say this.

Nov 20, 2012, 1:34 PM

You bashers are clueless and never satisfied . . .

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Nov 21, 2012, 2:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Swinney says he would love to play top-ranked irish, says polls are "ridiculous" ]

Spot on! Our "improved" defense remains awful, and that ws painfully evident against NC. State. I'm a bit uncomfortable too that he's talking about wanting to play Notre Dame with the Carolina game coming up Saturday. I hope he doesn't have eat a late Saturday night snack of crow.

Why make such statements now? Dabo should wait and see...

Nov 20, 2012, 1:34 PM

how Saturday turns out against a quality opponent before popping off about being able to play with anybody. Just beat the ##### for goodness sake and quit thinking about ND and polls.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Step back from the ledge...

Nov 20, 2012, 1:50 PM

it's just Tuesday. Hope you can make it till Saturday night.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

my guess is he was asked the question and he answered it***

Nov 20, 2012, 2:14 PM [ in reply to Why make such statements now? Dabo should wait and see... ]

Did you read ? He was asked a question about us getting

Nov 20, 2012, 2:51 PM [ in reply to Why make such statements now? Dabo should wait and see... ]

stepped on in the polls and he stood up for his team, our team, our University . . .

Geeeezzzzz - - other coaches of ours in the past would have chewed on grass and looked bewildered by the question - "Polls - you mean there are polls???" or something like that . . .

Our guy now stands up for his guys and talks for 4 minutes about what he sees is wrong with the deal. Jimbo did it too . . . .

There is absolutely no winning any more with a whole buncha ya-hoos on here . . .

Ole Dabo.

Nov 21, 2012, 1:08 AM [ in reply to Why make such statements now? Dabo should wait and see... ]

somebody needs to put a shock collar on him when hes talking to the media and when he starts to adlib off his prepared speech...just give him a little shock to get him back on track

Re: Why make such statements now? Dabo should wait and see...

Nov 21, 2012, 2:02 PM [ in reply to Why make such statements now? Dabo should wait and see... ]

Exactly!

Why the hell is he talking about the polls and the Irish

Nov 20, 2012, 1:36 PM

when we have USuC coming up, who we haven't beaten since 2008?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Most likely...

Nov 20, 2012, 1:48 PM

B/c someone asked him a question.

Big Deal.

Cause he was asked--- A$$ hat

Nov 20, 2012, 2:11 PM [ in reply to Why the hell is he talking about the polls and the Irish ]

You focus on marching and we'll football.

Real nice, Clark.***

Nov 20, 2012, 2:39 PM

He's got a good point.***

Nov 20, 2012, 8:19 PM

Some people wouldn't know sarcasm if it slapped them

Nov 21, 2012, 6:05 AM

And ###### their moms.

Yes, or course. Sarcasm.***

Nov 21, 2012, 10:51 AM

Dabo needs to FOCUS. If he loses to SCAR he sounds like

Nov 20, 2012, 1:36 PM

an idiot. Tweet that.

He knows we're gonna smoke those #### suckers***

Nov 20, 2012, 2:01 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dabo needs to FOCUS. If he loses to SCAR he sounds like

Nov 20, 2012, 3:56 PM [ in reply to Dabo needs to FOCUS. If he loses to SCAR he sounds like ]

Kinda like some are acting b/c he says he believes his team is as good as any of them. Nothing wrong with that. Some act as if beating the coot is the only game that matters, even over the NC. I'm as die hard orange as you can get. But I would take winning the NC over beating the coots any time. There is nothing they could say or feel that would take the National Championship Trophy out of our trophy case and put it in their's. There has been plenty of one loss NC's. And I would love for us to be some of those one loss NC's even if it meant our one loss was to the coots. My one and only answer for them would be. Who's trophy case is that Crystal FB sitting in. Clemson's, nuff said coots. No matter what they would say, that is all we would have to say.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It would be nice if you put the question in that elicited

Nov 20, 2012, 1:42 PM

that response instead of cherry-picking quotes to make it look like Dabo just up and started talking about the polls.

This is actually a brilliant move...

Nov 20, 2012, 2:15 PM

By creating some more national attention towards Clemson by essentially calling out the polls & BCS on how crappy the system is right now, he essentially putting Clemson into the minds of the voters of the Coaches and AP.

Now, if we took care of business this week (as we better), we just might get that extra bump in voting being top of mind.

If we don't, he's now said that we are better than any 2 loss team, if we have the unfortunate position of being a 2 loss team next week, we shouldn't drop below some of the other 2 loss teams around us.

The reality of it all. What Dabo says to the media is irrelevant. It how the coaches study and players practice this week and how the game plays out that will determine how much we beat the dirt peckers by this Saturday. Once we run down the hill, those words are LONE forgotten by the players and coaches.

Re: This is actually a brilliant move...

Nov 20, 2012, 4:00 PM

If Clemson beat USC and FSU beats Florida we will jump a few spots.... probably to 4 or 5 .... if we lose we drop out of top 15, if FSU loses we staty where we are and USC drops.
If we both win at GTech wins .... that would be a huge bump.....

hmm

Nov 20, 2012, 2:52 PM

I could have swore we were ranked 11th...

Don't lose to your rival 3x or the previous bowl game by 70

Nov 20, 2012, 2:53 PM

We need to build some cred after the O Bowl. We know what we've got that is special, but the BCS and the nation still remember WVU scoring again and again and again.

Here's another idea, don't schedule Furman, El Cid, C of C, Winthrop or SC Gov School for M&S every year.

Take a lap...Clemson is 11th in the standings***

Nov 20, 2012, 3:29 PM

The question comes 30 min after talking about USuCk....

Nov 20, 2012, 3:48 PM

yet people are having heart failure on the boards.

Step back from the edge, folks. We can't afford to lose you before Saturday night. The Valley needs to be rocking and we can't afford to lose our biggest loudmouths.

Re: The question comes 30 min after talking about USuCk....

Nov 20, 2012, 4:48 PM

I wish you guys chill the hell out with the scheduling. Our schedules have ALWAYS had Furman on them. WE play instate colleges all colleges do it. The ACC hasnt always been terrible.. These are down years for the ACC it will get back to the way its been.. Miami has had a couple down years they wont always be like that.. FSU is getting back to where they were UNC will be back and then we will have some type of cred in the ACC.

Huh?

Nov 20, 2012, 4:54 PM

responded to wrong post?

Re: Huh?

Nov 20, 2012, 4:57 PM

hahaha dang it.. I did..

Pollsters don't realize Clemson left so many TDs on the

Nov 20, 2012, 3:55 PM

field to vote us higher.

Dabo took his foot off the pedal too many times this year being Mr. Nice Guy rather than letting our team play. Not only has this come back around to hurt Clemson on the national scene as a team but it also knocked several outstanding individuals out of deserved awards.

I now see us matched up with a Baylor in some second tier bowl on a weekday night covered by ESPNU.

Maybe next year.

Re: Pollsters don't realize Clemson left so many TDs on the

Nov 20, 2012, 10:54 PM

Someone commented the other day, that the number of points wasn't' figured into the calculations. If someone truly did their homework they would know, we've rotated many people. I guess their not doing that.
Positive note, that keeps the team more healthy, and more ready for the next week.
GO TIGERS!!!

I think CU would be more likely to beat ND than other Top 10

Nov 21, 2012, 1:00 AM

Notre Dame is overrated and they are so lucky that Barkley is out or I think USC would have beaten them. Their offense isn't very good-- so they'd be a good match for Clemson's D. And their defense is good-- so they'd be a good match for Clemson's O.

They barely beat Purdue at home on a last second FG.

They barely beat Stanford at home in OT on a questionable (I think bad) call that denied Stanford a tying TD.

They barely beat BYU at home in a 4th quarter comeback.

They barely beat Pitt at home in 4OT in part because of an outrageously bad pass interference call against Pitt in the 4th quarter and in part because Pitt's PK missed a chip shot FG in 3OT that would have sealed the deal.

Clemson beat BC by 13. ND beat BC by 14. Close enough.

Clemson beat Wake by 29. ND beat Wake by 38. But it's hard to compare since both Clemson & ND pulled their starters in the 3rd quarter of a slaughter.

In fairness, ND did have a very good road win against OU, and I'm not surue Clemson could have done the same.

But I'd like our chances against ND more than the other teams ranked ahead of Clemson.

Re: I think CU would be more likely to beat ND than other Top 10

Nov 21, 2012, 3:34 AM

i'd like our chances against florida just a tad better. both have good defenses, but i think nd's "o" is better than uf's. i do think we would win both these games.

Re: I think CU would be more likely to beat ND than other Top 10

Nov 21, 2012, 12:00 PM

I'd like our chances more against ND, even though ND has the better offense. The reason? Speed. Even though ND has a fantastic defense, I'm not quite sure they've got the speed to keep up with Clemson's offense. I think UF does.

Re:David Hood

Nov 21, 2012, 12:44 PM

Clemson is ranked 11th in the BCS not 12th. Now to the reason I am commenting. Some of you Clemson fans needs to go back to school and learn how to read or something. You people must of read just the headline and jumped to conclusion that he just spoke out of his mind. When it states clearly that he was asked the question, and he answered the question. If you was asked a question 97% of the time you would respond with a answer also. He stood up for Clemson and fans. It also pains me to think samething Dabo feels to. We dont control what other teams do in the ACC we only can control what happens at Clemson.

Nov 26, 2012, 8:15 AM

Having read this article late, after the USC game, I realize how clueless we tiger fans were. Notre Dame? We couldn't handle the #####. They beat us up on both sides of the line. Knifing up D's in the ACC is easy but SC made our offense look barely average. As it did our coaching staff. Thank God we're not in the SEC. I knew defense wouldn't win it but I thought the Morris "O" train would've at least been on the tracks. Not one trick play. One misdirection that worked and we forgot about it. Are you kidding me??????

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 50
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic