Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
General Update: Groundbreaking for Tiger Band Plaza set for homecoming weekend
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 68
| visibility 1

General Update: Groundbreaking for Tiger Band Plaza set for homecoming weekend

Nov 8, 2012, 10:25 AM

Groundbreaking for Tiger Band Plaza set for homecoming weekend

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If I purchase a brick

Nov 8, 2012, 10:28 AM

can I put a former hoops player's name on it? It just seems appropriate. :)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger Band Plaza should be another nice addition to our

Nov 8, 2012, 10:33 AM

beautiful campus!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Will it come with a new band :-)

Nov 8, 2012, 10:51 AM

nm

Great! Wannabe coaches now wannabe band directors.

Nov 8, 2012, 10:54 AM

Don't mess with TigerBand.

Dude, our band is not that good...

Nov 8, 2012, 10:58 AM

I understand why in that we don't have a music school or scholarships that I'm aware of for band members. It's okay to call it what it is. I know they try their best.

Re: Dude, our band is not that good...

Nov 8, 2012, 10:54 PM

Dude, I played in Tiger Band '83-'87. I can tell you that Tiger Band students work their ...es off to fulfill their obligations. Tiger Band may not be a very large band, but they are actually pretty good musically. Come to the game on Saturday and support Tiger Band, along with 400 (yes, 400) members of the Alumni Band in celebrating Clemson and beating Maryland!!!!

Nobody said they aren't talented

Nov 8, 2012, 11:19 AM

but their shows are so boring lately... I mean "Primary Colors"??? What does that even mean?

The show selection does need work

Nov 8, 2012, 4:55 PM

I joined the year the new director took over. The music selection went from "simple, loud, and fast", to kind of "artsy fartsy".

I suspect Dr. Spede wants to showcase musicianship, but really, we just need loud, fast, catchy stuff instead of the more quiet, fancy stuff.

Two of My Life Time Friends and Very Successful Tiger Alums

Nov 8, 2012, 11:24 AM [ in reply to Re: Dude, our band is not that good... ]

are going to be in the Alumni Band Saturday (after much prodding). They marched in Tiger Band our freshman year back in '72 and I'm proud of them doing this. Always enjoy the hard work of the kids who volunteer in Tiger Band!

Dude, our fans aren't that great either

Nov 8, 2012, 11:16 AM [ in reply to Dude, our band is not that good... ]

Last game I got to go to two old fat and bitter guys were complaining about every call. It was either the coaches or the players. They didn't do this or they didn't know that...

We're the fans. Our job is to support our team. The players job is to play and we want them to do that well. We may wince but we do not boo. Our coaches get paid to coach. They don't always do that effectively (and it just kills me when our DB's look clueless) but, again, wince, moan, face-palm if you must, but do not think for a minute that you know a fraction of what these guys know. If you were so good, then you'd be on the sideline. But you're not, you're a fan.

Same with the band. They work hard, get paid nothing and there job is to play Tiger Rag 147 times per quarter. If you want to become a Tiger Band major donor and throw your weight around, great. But you don't, you're a fan. Your job is to support your team, so get busy getting better at doing that and leave the band alone.

Haveaniceday. :)

And one more thing...

Nov 8, 2012, 11:20 AM [ in reply to Dude, our band is not that good... ]

you want to see pure unadulterated love for Clemson Tiger football? Go sit next to the band. These guys love the team with a devotion and fierceness that would be spooky if it wasn't my team too.

Such ignorance

Nov 8, 2012, 12:06 PM [ in reply to Dude, our band is not that good... ]

Just like we're watching amateur athletes on the field, we're listening to amateur, volunteer musicians.

What they do is very difficult. The fact that they even sound like they do is quite an accomplishment.

Go listen to some highschool bands and hear the difference, it's night and day. But like football, where there are unrealistic expectations of perfection, the same holds true for marching bands, even if they don't get the full ride schollies that the football players do.

I hope you feel special pooping on such a hardcore group of Clemson's most rabid and loyal.

Sorry to hurt your feelings on this

Nov 8, 2012, 12:24 PM

I stated an opinion that is widely shared. It's no different than stating an opinion about any of our athletes. Most athletes at every school try as hard as they can...doesn't mean they are going to be great because of their effort.

I am not saying they don't try or aren't good people. I'm saying collectively, they aren't that good compared to other bands. Maybe they are all super talented musicians and being assembled in the best way. Who knows.

I can tell you that anytime another band comes into DV and starts playing you can't even hear our band. I sit diagonally across from them, too in the lower level and I have trouble hearing them. Also, they rarely come up with any new stuff that gets the crowd into it, which should be one of the goals of the band. And lastly, they often start playing when the crowd is chanting or doing the other things that make our gameday environment great.

So my opinion is they aren't that good, they need to up their game, and they need to be more in sync with the actual game and the fans instead of doing all their quirky antics amongst themselves.

Maybe I can explain it so you can understand it

Nov 8, 2012, 12:39 PM

Your expectations are silly, and your words absolutely petty.

Would you expect one of our club football teams to do well against the other scholarship teams that come into the valley? No, it's a whole. different. level.

If you want them to improve, instead of b!tching, donate to their scholarship fund. As it is, a few select people get a few hundred dollar scholarship to play, at most. This won't allow them to "win" against most visiting bands.

Otherwise, you're just a silly whiner pooping on a great volunteer organization.

You just restated my earlier point...thank you

Nov 8, 2012, 12:44 PM

I said I understand why they aren't good without a music school and scholarships. I know why they aren't at the level of schools like FSU. I know they don't have the same resources as other bands that are way better. I didn't say they should be as good or better than bands like FSU, etc. I just said they aren't that good...and they aren't.

Jeez, we have a bunch of band groupies on here today that don't want to hear the truth.

'Good' is relative and subjective. Your comparison is flawed

Nov 8, 2012, 12:48 PM

Our football team is not "good", when you compare them to the Atlanta Falcons.

If you're expecting an FSU band, then yes, Tiger Band isn't very good. But you're a moron for expecting FSU :)

That is the point. You're being a moron. You're comparing an apple to an orange.

Well this moron believes that I should be able to hear our

Nov 8, 2012, 12:54 PM

own band in our own stadium. You can't honestly say they resonate throughout DV. If you can't be good, at least be loud.

And good isn't relative in this case. They aren't good.

Also, a million dollars to the band garden isn't a good use of money.

Says the guy who has probably never donated

Nov 8, 2012, 1:11 PM

You really should tell the AD to let you take over the band. Sounds like you're full of great ideas.

You are right...I choose to donate to academics and IPTAY

Nov 8, 2012, 1:34 PM

you are so laughable in your interpretation of what I'm saying you moron. I said they aren't good. I didn't say I wanted to take over the band or know of how they can sound better. I'm not a band alumni and proud of that fact.

I also think gas prices are high, but I don't want to be the President. I don't think the Dallas Cowboys are good either, but I don't want to take over their team.

Lighten up Francis and get your band panties unwadded.

Not a matter of lightening up

Nov 8, 2012, 4:09 PM

Put up or shut up about the band. They are a good band for what they are (a non-scholarship program). They are as good or better than the other non-scholarship programs.

That said, this all works out. You call them a 'not good' band, I think you're a 'not good' Clemson fan. You also ashame your Clemson education in being so moronic as to compare them to scholarship programs.

You just don't get it do you?

Nov 8, 2012, 4:44 PM

And I guess you shouldn't because as you said below you are biased. Saying they are not good isn't comparing them to other bands. I just don't think they are that good. I've had other folks with me at games that are music majors from other schools and they comment on how bad our band is. There certainly is no comparison to other schools, so you are wrong about my doing so.

I get it you were in the band and your feelings are hurt that I made a comment about the band. Your calling me not a good Clemson fan because I don't believe everything at Clemson is the best in the world is your opinion, too.

Go ahead and post again about how I'm comparing them to other schools. You actually just sound like you are making excuses for a rag tag bunch of musicians.

Could you be any more stupid? Are you a coot?

Nov 8, 2012, 4:52 PM

> Saying they are not good isn't
> comparing them to other bands.

Moronic point #1: There can't be a "good" or "not good" without a basis for comparison. If your basis for comparison is FSU or any other school with a music major, you are making a moronic comparison. Stop doing that.

> I've had other folks with me at
> games that are music majors from other schools and
> they comment on how bad our band is.

Moronic point #2: They are a music major, something we don't have. Of course we're not going to be as good as them or their school.

> Go ahead and post again about how I'm comparing them
> to other schools. You actually just sound like you
> are making excuses for a rag tag bunch of musicians.

Are you sure you're not a coot?

Thanks for making my point yet again.

Nov 8, 2012, 4:55 PM

It's like arguing with dumb and dumber and you sir are both of them.

You can't be serious

Nov 8, 2012, 4:58 PM

The guy with a music major friend who says the school without the music major sucks is telling me I'm dumb? :)

Meanwhile, you've got other people telling you the same things I am (about being a selfish whiner).

We are all idiots

Nov 8, 2012, 9:38 PM

Still arguing with him aren't we?

He's drug us down to his level and now he is going to beat us with experience.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

I like to think of it as an expose

Nov 8, 2012, 5:07 PM

... of sh!t attitude. I'm hoping that some other people will see this and strive to not follow in his footsteps.

That's constructive, I think.

I am neither an alum or an ex band member. But I think your

Nov 8, 2012, 4:54 PM [ in reply to You just don't get it do you? ]

statement is offensive. Those kids work very hard for the band. I know as my son is in a marching band at another ACC school......

A LOT OF TIME GOES INTO THIS....and time they may get one or zero credits for.....

These kids bleed Orange.

Have a little respect.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^ Gets it

Nov 8, 2012, 4:56 PM

These kids work their tails off. Saying they aren't good, but not offering to help is pointless b!tching that only hurts us.

You are right

Nov 8, 2012, 5:00 PM [ in reply to I am neither an alum or an ex band member. But I think your ]

I didn't mean to be offensive to the kids. And my original statement wasn't trashing the kids or the time and talent they put into it. I just stated an opinion.

How's it any different than saying "Maryland's offense is horrible". It's true but those kids put in a lot of time as well, but the bottom line is they aren't that good. It's okay to say something or someone isn't good. That's all I pointed out in the beginning and then got jumped for it.

Thanks for a level headed reply though.

Your original statement sounds like trashing

Nov 8, 2012, 5:03 PM

Maybe you need to rethink your delivery......I am no sunshine pumper...but when it comes to an ALL VOLUNTEER organization.....they get sunshine, help(money, instrument donations, time) or I just keep my mouth shut.

Sports teams don't get as much slack

Message was edited by: MackDaddy®

Re: Your original statement sounds like trashing

Nov 8, 2012, 5:06 PM

So are walk-ons worthy of criticism or just scholarship players?

They have nothing BUT walk-ons***

Nov 8, 2012, 5:06 PM

Maryland football is a D1 team with a large coaching staff

Nov 8, 2012, 5:04 PM [ in reply to You are right ]

They're getting paid to play. They've got adult supervision. They're supposed to be good.

Making fun of Tiger Band is like going to a little league game and telling the kids they suck.

But if that makes you feel better about yourself....

Not to mention when they miss class, they have tutors to

Nov 8, 2012, 5:05 PM

help them. The band has to suck it up and make it work.

So now you are saying your fellow band members

Nov 8, 2012, 5:08 PM [ in reply to Maryland football is a D1 team with a large coaching staff ]

are like little league kids that suck? Wow, I didn't take it that far.

I'm sorry that you can't say someone or something isn't good in today's world without having something wrong with you.

It's an "advanced" thing called an "Analogy"

Nov 8, 2012, 5:12 PM

But I'm sorry if they don't teach that in Cootlumbia.

If that analogy looks silly, it's because you're holding Tiger Band to an unrealistic standard, and you're seeing how silly that is.

Here's another one: Your brain is like a piece of swiss cheese. Full of holes, and smelly.

your analogy is "not good"

Nov 8, 2012, 8:17 PM

too funny that you run out of ways to tell me the same thing and to out of ways to keep proving my point and you call me a coot. That's great but try again.

You are so full of excuses...no I'm holding them to an unrealistic standard. That would be you because you know they aren't good and they weren't good when you were part of it. I simply said from the beginning that the band isn't that good...and we are here now.

I will start typing it in Spanish if you like so you can pretend I'm saying something different.

You say you sit diagonally across from the band - can YOU

Nov 8, 2012, 1:32 PM [ in reply to Well this moron believes that I should be able to hear our ]

say that Tiger Band doesn't resonate throughout The Valley ?

How do YOU know ?

How old are you ? Maybe you need new hearing aid batteries ?

You gonna yell at me all game while I stand up on D in front of you and yell my guts out for my alma mater ???

Probably.

Seriously - just stay home. Would be doing all of us a HUGE favor, I'm sure.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Yes I can say that. I've sat all over DV

Nov 8, 2012, 1:38 PM

but I can hear them better now in section H than other places I've sat. That being said, I can't hear them that well and they are pretty much pointed at me. I can hear fine and I'm not that old. They just aren't that loud.

### are you talking about standing up and yelling? I stand up the entire game as well or as long as it's respectful for those around me trying to watch the game. I don't have a problem with that because I would at least be able to hear you.

Ok - at least you would be able to hear me made me laugh.

Nov 8, 2012, 1:44 PM

Not that old - as compared to what - dirt .... or Lou Holtz ?

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: Ok - at least you would be able to hear me made me laugh.

Nov 8, 2012, 1:53 PM

Too funny. I graduated in 93, so not quite between dirt and Lou yet.

Look it's all good and a friendly debate here. I've actually gained a different perspective throughout this thread. So points for me LOL.

And your handle is pretty cool - are you playing the part o.

Nov 9, 2012, 8:57 AM

Poon - Comanche Indian - in this thread ? Me thinks YES !!

The band is good. They aren't great .... and they certainly aren't "not good".

A good band is about a bunch more than volume. And it is about much more than show names and music selection.

Our band plays a concert in the amphitheater before every home game. Ever been to one ?

Have you ever gone down on the field after the game and seen the post game drumline show ?

After halftime - the pods going around the stadium playing Tiger Rag to different sections. Never seen that any where else.

Band pods in the parking lots playing Tiger Rag before games. Never seen that anywhere else.

I'm glad your perspective has changed a bit. Good to see a going deaf, not as old as Lou old dog start learning a new trick ! ! :)

Gooo Tigers !!!!! ( and Tiger Band !!! )

The band raised it...they can spend it the way they want

Nov 8, 2012, 4:50 PM [ in reply to Well this moron believes that I should be able to hear our ]

And it is a good investment. Good facilities encourage more participation...thus leading to a better band

Opinions are like butt holes - everybody's got one and YOURS

Nov 8, 2012, 1:19 PM [ in reply to Sorry to hurt your feelings on this ]

is completely crappy.

Go away.

Great one...zing***

Nov 8, 2012, 1:39 PM

Yet they are most likely all better musicians than you.***

Nov 8, 2012, 4:45 PM [ in reply to Dude, our band is not that good... ]

Oh so now I have to be a better musician to call our band

Nov 8, 2012, 4:48 PM

not good? LMAO...too funny. good one

Are you or aren't you?

Nov 8, 2012, 4:57 PM

Either way you are bad too.

It'd make you look like less of a whiner***

Nov 8, 2012, 5:00 PM [ in reply to Oh so now I have to be a better musician to call our band ]

Re: It'd make you look like less of a whiner***

Nov 8, 2012, 5:07 PM

Show me where I whined.

Fries are burning...COOT.

Re: It'd make you look like less of a whiner***

Nov 8, 2012, 5:09 PM

Whoa there. That was for Clemson_Felch

OOPS

Nov 8, 2012, 9:22 PM

trying to work and do that earlier

TigerBand couldn't shake a stick...

Nov 8, 2012, 11:09 AM [ in reply to Great! Wannabe coaches now wannabe band directors. ]

much less "Shake the Southland"

Did you see the AWESOME band performance for Military

Nov 8, 2012, 12:43 PM [ in reply to Will it come with a new band :-) ]

Appreciation Day? For a band their size, they are doggone good. Also they are the ONLY cheerleading support for our team on the road!! Our so-called "cheerleaders" somehow believe that flips & pyramids help our football team!

No, I hated to miss that game but I wasn't able to go...

Nov 8, 2012, 12:51 PM

As for cheerleading, I agree with you there. When I was there in the late 80's early 90's I felt like microphone guy in front of the students was way better. To me that is the person that needs to get the students going that will in turn get the crowd going.

This is just my opinion again though as I don't want to upset all the people on here that say the microphone guy is doing the best he can :)

Re: General Update: Groundbreaking for Tiger Band Plaza set for homecoming weekend

Nov 8, 2012, 11:22 AM

They are going to raise a billion? I hope so! They are worth every penny. I just wish there were more of them with everyone on scholarship. They are a very visible representation of the university.

fantastic

Nov 8, 2012, 1:38 PM

I give lots of credit to our band.....rickyc78 well said!

Re: fantastic

Nov 8, 2012, 4:24 PM

I love tiger band, and when I am watching the pregame pep rally they are good, they are just small.
from what I do remember at the beginning of the season they said it was one of the bigger bands in its history.

I wish they were like 450 strong like FSU and South Carolina. I think UNC, NC State have bigger bands than we do, but they also have a music major.
it seems like all the schools that come to DV for football, their band puts ours out of the water.

I was looking at some bands on you tube the other night, and I have to say, Western Carolina's band. They are #### good and they are bigger than ours.
I saw on their web site that they are going to the Grand Nationals in Indy.... thats the biggest marching compeition in the Nation.

there are times, when I think that Boiling Spring, Fort Mill, and Nations Ford marching bands puts ours to shame...

Ive heard the Dr. Spede doesnt want our band to grow.... and I dont understand why he doesnt.

Re: fantastic

Nov 8, 2012, 4:36 PM

> Ive heard the Dr. Spede doesnt want our band to
> grow.... and I dont understand why he doesnt.

You definitely heard wrong. Here's the problem that most people don't understand. All of those bands that you listed that blow us out of the water have music programs. FSU has an incredible music program, it's absolutely top notch.

Clemson has no music program. You have our state legislatures to thank for that. They won't let us start a music program, because there are "already enough" in the state.

FSU and co. have music programs, and require their students do some "service" in one of the various ensembles. Marching band happens to be the one that a lot end up choosing. Many of those performers don't really want to be there.

Tiger Band is best thought of as a club team. Comparing them to FSU and co. is like comparing a Division 3 school to us.

If you want to see a better, bigger band, help change minds in Columbia!

Why is this any different than what I've been saying?

Nov 8, 2012, 4:46 PM

Come on Petey, take the horn out of your butt and actually read and pay attention to what I said all along. Nothing like getting a band person all riled up...geez.

Chill out, dude

Nov 8, 2012, 4:50 PM

Take your Tiger Band bashing somewhere else.

LOL...I need to chill out?

Nov 8, 2012, 4:53 PM

Dude, you are the one that has been upset all day and defending your beloved band.

I think you vastly overestimate your ability

Nov 8, 2012, 5:02 PM

... to affect other people's emotions :)

U mad, bro?

I just think you're a silly turd, and a less-than-stellar Clemson fan. But hey, that's just me.

Why would I be mad...I stand behind my opinion I stated this

Nov 8, 2012, 5:04 PM

morning. If you can't take someone's opinion, then that's your problem. Maybe they were better when you were there (probably best in the world) but I'm guessing not.

Good night to you kind band sir :)

Sorry if I got under your skin

Nov 8, 2012, 5:13 PM

Seems like I got you upset.

I've got no illusions of grandeur, but you, good sir, are a bad fan :)

ha...I'm not the one upset or defending a "club" I was part

Nov 8, 2012, 8:21 PM

of. Until our band sounds better, I will continue to think of them as not good. If that bothers you, then grow a pair.

But wait, I can't compare them to anyone better than them. I can only compare them to high schools and themselves and the apple dumpling gang. Come on Man!

be careful or you will get jumped by the band brigade :-)***

Nov 8, 2012, 5:02 PM [ in reply to Re: fantastic ]

The Tiger Band alumni are just awesome

Nov 8, 2012, 4:18 PM

I may be biased, since I am one, but good grief does the Tiger Band Alumni Association do a good job. The practice field enhancements were something a few years ago, and this is just the next thing in a series of great steps in making Tiger Band a force.

Just a note for those poopooing a little bit on the band. Their size and success are largely driven by the enthusiasm for our football team on any given year. On years that we're not sure about (this one, for example), the numbers tend to fall a bit. When we're ranked super high in the pre-season (our top 10 rankings in the past, for example), the numbers tend to get pretty high.

Nobody forces any of these students to join. Most schools with a music degree actually require some "service" in one of the ensembles, with marching band often being full of people who are just doing it for the credit. These guys are 100% volunteer.

They'll be bigger and louder next year when we own the ACC.

Replies: 68
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic