Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mickey Plyler's Blog: Greatest Clemson QB?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 58
| visibility 1

Mickey Plyler's Blog: Greatest Clemson QB?

Nov 6, 2012, 11:44 AM

Greatest Clemson QB?

Greatest Clemson QB?
I have been blessed to see some great quarterbacks at Clemson, but we may be seeing the best in school history.

Steve Fuller finished sixth in the Heisman voting in 1978 and was the best I had seen at that time. Homer Jordan helped the Tigers to a National Champions

Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I do not rely on stats alone, Boyd is having a fine career

Nov 6, 2012, 11:52 AM

but he has been in a far different system and has been surrounded by some players that have made him look good as well. Best QB--good question, I'll have to study on it. Danzler and Whitehurst stand out right now.

To me,you have to account for winning %,Tajh is definately

Nov 6, 2012, 11:57 AM

at or near the top.

I can see where you're going with that

Nov 6, 2012, 7:20 PM [ in reply to I do not rely on stats alone, Boyd is having a fine career ]

But Potentialy...
Tajh Boyd has to be number #1

Behind that, I go....
Whitehurst
Dantzler
Fuller
Greene
Steeter
Harper
Williams
Epply
Morroco

Hows that?

Re: I can see where you're going with that

Nov 7, 2012, 12:10 AM

Nealon Green would be the all time leader with Chad Morris running the offense.
Without Morris Boyd would not even be mentioned in same breath as Green....or others.

?? Seriously?!!***

Nov 9, 2012, 4:25 PM

That's a great picture.

Nov 6, 2012, 11:54 AM

I surprisingly don't see Tajh on any NFL draft boards. Hopefully he stays, leads us to national championship, and shatters the record books.

Hard to judge

Nov 6, 2012, 12:06 PM

Clemson had almost exclusively run-heavy offenses up until the 1990s, you never know what a Steve Fuller or a Homer Jordan could've done with this scheme and what I think is the best overall corps of receivers in Clemson history.

2003 aside this is the best WR corp we've had

Nov 6, 2012, 12:29 PM

that being said as shown by last year if you don't have a QB that can handle pressure, scramble to make plays, and just have great pocket awareness it doesn't matter who you have on the outside. Tajh has fixed the mistakes of last year and improved his overall game.

Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: Greatest Clemson QB?

Nov 6, 2012, 12:14 PM

Boyd has certainly turned out to be a great one. And I hate to bring up bad memories but let's not forget that Clemson fans had to endure Proctor, Harper, and Parker. I hate to even think about those intervening years. Football was difficult to watch. That's one of TB's legacies...

Nov 6, 2012, 7:31 PM

Doesn't that make you wonder why we wasted so much time on Kyle Parker? Dabo should have dumped him and played Boyd.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 7, 2012, 12:13 AM [ in reply to Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: Greatest Clemson QB? ]

This site went ballistic on me when even sniffed that Proctor or Parker not decent. Harper played great one year-got caught up in thinking he was going to be a bigtime pro in off season-ruined his year and relationship with Bowden. Only QB who never saw Bowden give confidence he would not lose job to someone else.

And he has done all that in just over 1.5 seasons...

Nov 6, 2012, 12:17 PM

Wow

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He needs to beat the coots this year and next. Then he will

Nov 6, 2012, 12:19 PM

for sure be the best.

agreed - you cant be considered one of the best till you

Nov 6, 2012, 1:08 PM

beat the thunderchickens!!!!!!!

I've got him top 3 personally.***

Nov 6, 2012, 12:30 PM

I'd put Rodney Williams ahead of Boyd.***

Nov 6, 2012, 12:40 PM

Re: I'd put Rodney Williams ahead of Boyd.***

Nov 7, 2012, 12:18 AM

Rodney Williams? Seriously? He was surrounded by great teams, but he was nothing special.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mickey Jacked me!

Nov 6, 2012, 12:42 PM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=1171421&tstart=90

I did this Yesterday....I don't want any money, but gimmick infringement should offer a little nod....LOL

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

expect a tmail from gwp

Nov 6, 2012, 12:50 PM

wanting to know how many vodkas that took.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's offensive!

Nov 6, 2012, 1:06 PM

I prefer Zima

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Probably Sick "Dave78" on me..........***

Nov 6, 2012, 2:06 PM [ in reply to expect a tmail from gwp ]

oh now, go tigers! you two stop that petty bickering.

Nov 6, 2012, 2:20 PM

look at gwp & cutigerdave. they put their differences aside and have conjoined as the 2 biggest point hoes on site.

it was a match made in heaven.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You don't wanna be my friend?

Nov 6, 2012, 3:27 PM

Well...If you didn't wanna be my friend, I just don't think I could bear it.......

Classic line from the movie Tombstone...LOL

I'd say Dantzler>Boyd for Chad/RichRod O. CW best pro-style

Nov 6, 2012, 12:55 PM

I think ideally, Morris & RichRod would like a true dual-threat QB for their styles of offense, and I guess that Woody Dantzler would start over Tajh or Whitehurst if they came into Clemson together as freshman under Morris or RichRod. Dantler was electric as a runner and scrambler-- hands down better than Tajh or Whithurst. Tajh may be a better passer that Dantzler but it's hard to say because Dantzler didn't get much pass-protection and Woody wasn't surrounded by weapons like Hopkins, Watkins & Bryant.

Whitehurst is a more prototypical, tall pro-style pocket passer and was probably a better passer than Tajh, but again, it's hard to say because of the weapons and styles of offense.

Occassionally a sub-6'2" QB does well in the NFL (like Drew Brees) but because the NFL typically likes tall, pocket-passing QBs, I'm very doubtful that Boyd will have as successful an NFL career as Whitehurst, even though Boyd will have a more successful college career.

Hard to argue with this. Between Tajh,Woody,Charlie

Nov 6, 2012, 1:03 PM

It's hard to say who is the more complete player. Each has their own strengths and were products of the systems they were in. Bottom line is they were all great and there really is no clear "best" QB.

In honor of Election Day, I endorse this opinion...***

Nov 6, 2012, 2:41 PM [ in reply to I'd say Dantzler>Boyd for Chad/RichRod O. CW best pro-style ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good analysis, but I think Fuller is better than Charlie as

Nov 8, 2012, 3:22 PM [ in reply to I'd say Dantzler>Boyd for Chad/RichRod O. CW best pro-style ]

a "pro-style" QB. In terms of dual threat, I've always felt the most talented and underrated QB ever at Clemson was Mike Eppley. Not as dynamic a runner as Woody, but superior passer. Compared to Rodney, he was much more athletic and ran the option better, but again, he could also really sling the ball down field. Put Eppley in RichRod or Morris' system and it would be scary the numbers he could put up. More passing than Woody, but less rushing yards. So in terms of a RichRod or Morris offense, Woody or Eppley would be dangerous, but I'd give Eppley the edge because of his passing.

Nov 6, 2012, 12:59 PM

Mickey, I know that I am old school. I have been attending Clemson games since the 70s. This pre-teen was amazed by Fuller. Loved the winner Homer was. The grittiness of Rodney Williams. The jaw dropping moves of Woody, the chicken killer Whitehurst. I have often compared rightly or wrongly players from the 80s to current players and teams. I, being now 50 years old always found a way to make the 80s players tougher, faster, better. Mr. Tajh Boyd, you are the best I have had the pleasure to see! I know how you struggled at the end of last year. I have also watched you mature and become the un-disputed leader of this team. I have nothing but respect for you, I truly feel that Clemson fans will look back at these teams you led and say this was the begining! Thats how I felt watching Steve Fuller in 77 and 78!

The most important stat is career wins as starting QB

Nov 7, 2012, 9:33 AM

I think Rodney has that, and I also think Tajh would have to win 10+ this year and next in order to break that one. Passing yards and TD's are great, but winning is the only stat that really matters.

That said, Tajh is right up there, and could shatter every record, including career wins, by the time he leaves.

Whitehurst?

Nov 6, 2012, 1:16 PM

I get that he was a 4 year starter etc...but have we all forgotten his career 49 TDs/46 INTs?

If Tahj started for 4 years, he would demolish Whitehurst's numbers...

I rooted for Charlie just like everyone else, but I don't think he belongs anywhere near a conversation about greatest Clemson QBs.

Re: Whitehurst?

Nov 6, 2012, 2:11 PM

beat usuc all 4 years and that means a TON to most fellow Tiger fans.

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Re: Whitehurst?

Nov 7, 2012, 8:54 AM

I would argue that beating SC in those days was about like beating maryland or wake. they had serviceable teams but we should have beaten them every year. beating the chickens now means a whole lot more since they're good.

1. Fuller 2. Woody 3. Homer 4. Charlie W. 5. Rodney but

Nov 6, 2012, 1:28 PM

Boyd could take over the number one spot with a BCS Bowl win or another ACC title. He'll definitely be in the top 3 after this year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Couple of those had some nice defenses to help them

Nov 6, 2012, 1:47 PM

Boyd really hasn't had that yet.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Couple of those had some nice defenses to help them

Nov 6, 2012, 2:30 PM

Very valid point. Imagine our offense/team with a top ten defense...

Nov 6, 2012, 2:11 PM

tajh can take that top spot in my opinion if he handily beats the coots this year and next. As it stands whitehurst beat em all 4 years and that was a great time to be a tiger in this state, he also had the best single season passing outside of boyd last year.

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

Willy***

Nov 6, 2012, 2:12 PM

Korn

Nov 6, 2012, 2:12 PM

Hit enter by accident before lol.

Simmons***

Nov 6, 2012, 2:22 PM [ in reply to Willy*** ]

Re: Simmons***

Nov 6, 2012, 2:24 PM

maybe we should stop recruiting QB's with the first name willie/willy...they dont seem to work out.

Steve Fuller was ACC Player of the Year twice

Nov 6, 2012, 4:21 PM

If Tajh were to be the ACC POY this year and next I don't think any further argument would be made.

This year he has shown running ability Whitehurst never had and much better passing ability than Woody.

In terms of being the "complete" QB and also factoring in the tangible winning % and intangible "leadership" ability it's a two horse race between Steve Fuller and Tajh. Whether Tajh can also be a first round NFL selection as Steve was is yet to be determined.

Just my $.02

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The ACC has far fewer teams and no FSU or GT

Nov 6, 2012, 5:14 PM

Whole different time. Fuller was Great. The ACCCG against Maryland in 1978 is what greatness is all about.

Yet doesn't Charlie have the longest run ever by a CU QB?

Nov 8, 2012, 3:29 PM [ in reply to Steve Fuller was ACC Player of the Year twice ]

Didn't he roll out one time and run like 78 yards down the sideline and finally got knocked out of bounds inside the 10?

Nov 6, 2012, 4:34 PM

Been watching since the 1981 season. (including 1989-1993 as a student) and Boyd is the best Clemson quarterback that I have seen!

I think Boyd is the best QB in Clemson history.

Nov 6, 2012, 5:35 PM

Steve Fuller was outstanding, Rodney Williams managed the offense really well, Dantzler was an incredible athlete, and Whitehurst was pretty good. But none of them have the combination of leadership, work ethic, knowledge of the offense, arm strength, and passing accuracy of Boyd.

I don't see how Whitehurst is even in this conversation. He didn't have the arm strength or accuracy of Boyd, as evidenced by fewer TDs many more interceptions than Boyd. He also wasn't nearly the leader Boyd is.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Rodney Rodney Rodney

Nov 6, 2012, 9:19 PM

Rodney Rodney Rodney Rodney Rodney

for those of you too young to know what that is all about missed out on a special time , special game, special guy in Clemson history !

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Rodney won the most games and was a great and unselfish

Nov 8, 2012, 3:26 PM

option QB, but Eppley, Boyd, Charlie, Fuller, Woody, and Jordan are all better passers and probably more talented. In terms of production relative to athletic talent, however, Rodney would win that comparison by a country mile. Few, if any, Clemson athletes have maximized their talent and produced the way Rodney did.

Nov 6, 2012, 10:42 PM

I'm going to copy and paste the comment I put on The FightingDabos's post:

I understand the talk of a weak conference and system and so forth, but he did deliver us a conference title, and we didn't have one for a long time. When history looks back, it will see a title, not anything else. As for the best? How can you possibly compare? Boyd is really, really good!

Nov 7, 2012, 12:23 AM

Woody- homer- tajh. Woody had to do alot by himself. First kid in the history of college football to throw for 2000 and run for a 1000 yds. He was amazing. In 35 years his is the only jersey I have every bought and still have it.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 7, 2012, 8:15 AM

Woody and Whitehurst have always stood out to me as our greatest QBs. Woody as an all-around QB/winner, and Whitehurst as the best pure, "traditional" QB. And tough as nails, too.

However, It's hard to deny that Boyd is probably going to surpass both of them. The dude is flat-out jaw-droppingly good. I've never seen anyone who could throw bombs like he can. On the assumption that he sticks around for all 4 years of his eligibility, and avoids slumps, injuries, and silly INTs that he tends to throw when he loses confidence, he will undoubtedly be the greatest in terms of raw stats. I think he'll also end up being the greatest QB in terms of winning the hearts of fans. That will be especially true if he's able to lead us to more ACC, BCS, and/or national championships.

(Disclaimer: I was not aware that Clemson existed when Fuller was a quarterback, so I can't include him in my picks.)

Clearly Chad Kelly is the greatest Clemson QB evar!!!!!!!!!!

Nov 7, 2012, 9:09 AM

Swag!

Clemson QB

Nov 7, 2012, 9:31 AM

There is no real comparison unless all ran the same offense and had same recievers. Where would Boyd be without this reciever corps. I think he is great, but at our 50th reunion of '62 football, was listining to Jimmy Bell & Jim Parker talk about how the would love to run this offense rather than the Frank Howard -"there are 3 things that can happen when you pass and 2 of them are bad" offense. Boyd should have all the records and be a great one, but you have to consider the supporting cast and the style offense also....

Homer!!!!***

Nov 7, 2012, 9:53 AM

Re: Homer!!!! Ditto

Nov 8, 2012, 3:25 PM

Taking you to a national championship is huge! The guy needed an IV at half time of the Orange Bowl.

I think Tajh and some of the others are great but I think Homer will always be the best.

Banks McFadden***

Nov 7, 2012, 10:41 AM

Re: Banks McFadden***

Nov 7, 2012, 2:20 PM

You do know that McFadden was really a QB?

They didn't have a true QB then. He was mainly a running back that took the snap
kinda like a wildcat

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 7, 2012, 10:58 AM

My opinion is Charlie Whitehurst. He did more with less talent, especially in the OL. I do believe had he had a good OL that could have given him a little protection, he could have been a Heisman contender, and we would have been much more relevant nationally. Big if's, but JMHO. That said, him working with an OC like Morris would have blown the doors off many/most teams we played then.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 9, 2012, 10:56 AM

Agree with most all your thoughts but think Steve Fuller would have been AMAZING in a spread offense, with his size, speed, throwing ability and smarts

Replies: 58
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic