Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Venables says improvement of the defense begins with familiarity and trust
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Venables says improvement of the defense begins with familiarity and trust

Oct 30, 2012, 5:31 PM

Venables says improvement of the defense begins with familiarity and trust

Defensive coordinator Brent Venables said Tuesday that it has taken a while to learn the strength and the weaknesses of each of his players, and it has also taken that long for mutual trust to build. Now, the benefits of that are beginning to be seen. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Venables says improvement of the defense begins with familiarity and trust

Oct 30, 2012, 7:30 PM

Give this guy another season or two with his recruits and we can return to the glory days of Clemson defense. As animated as he was during the WF game I'd hate to see him during last year's OB. But then again, that might not have happened under Brad's watch.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Re: Front Page Story: Venables says improvement of the defense begins with familiarity and trust

Oct 30, 2012, 9:20 PM

Yay for Brad!!!

Wait, who's Brad?

You know, our DC, Coach Brownlee.

Oct 31, 2012, 9:38 AM

Brad does stress defense, you know?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

96th in total D to 82nd, just in case anybody was wondering.***

Oct 30, 2012, 8:00 PM

Do you or do you not see us improving?***

Oct 30, 2012, 8:02 PM

I think that is what he said.

Oct 30, 2012, 8:29 PM

He showed we have improved the last two games. I didn't read it as we were still sucking or anything like that.

You don't know Razz, do you?***

Oct 31, 2012, 7:34 AM

Re: 96th in total D to 82nd, just in case anybody was wondering.***

Oct 30, 2012, 8:14 PM [ in reply to 96th in total D to 82nd, just in case anybody was wondering.*** ]

What would be an expected end of season ranking for this defense going into the season, knowing the challenges in depth and experience?

Oct 31, 2012, 9:14 AM

A top 25-35 defense would be a mountain moved, IMO. I don't know, due to the number of games remaining, if the math is possible, but we are heading in the right direction, and we are doing it the right way.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 31, 2012, 11:06 AM

I dont care where we finished ranked in D at the end of the year. I care how our D is ranked each week over the next 4 games. One game at a time as the coaches say. If we allow less than 350 yards/gm. in our remaining games I'd be pumped.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Nov 1, 2012, 11:45 AM

And really, that will tell more about where we are defensively as we move through the present, as opposed to what happend several weeks ago.

to go from 96th to 82nd in game 7 & 8

Oct 30, 2012, 8:39 PM [ in reply to 96th in total D to 82nd, just in case anybody was wondering.*** ]

probably means we had defensive performances in the top 30 in both games maybe top 15.

i think Furman should be glad they caught us when they did.

i doubt they would want to come to the Valley today.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: to go from 96th to 82nd in game 7 & 8 - If I calculated

Oct 31, 2012, 1:28 AM

If I calculated correctly, we would have had to be in the top 13 to 14 percent, for those two games, to make that big of a jump with this many games played. Help me out, all you Math Geeks!
GO TIGERS!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We were 40th in total defense over the last two games.

Oct 31, 2012, 9:43 AM

Still a vast improvement over the first six games. If we had played that well in Tally, it would have been a big win. The reason we've improved, however, is probably because we didn't play an FSU in the last two weeks. VT and Wake are not Slippery Rock College, but they're not FSU either.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Absolutely right. With our offense we dont need a top

Oct 31, 2012, 12:55 PM

10 defense to win our games. If our defense can just be 25-30th with our top 15 offense we're going to be darn near unstoppable.

Oct 31, 2012, 9:10 AM [ in reply to 96th in total D to 82nd, just in case anybody was wondering.*** ]

The more games played, the harder it is to move the number, just due to the math. To move 14 spots is not too bad, but certainly not where we or BV wants to be, but it is a start in the right direction, and I doubt Steele would have us where we are today, so good move by Dabo. I like what I am seeing, but we are a long way from where we as fans, or BV, or Dabo or this team want to be, but we are eating this elephant 1 bite at a time, and it will I believe it will be devoured.

Its easy to "improve" on defense when you play

Oct 31, 2012, 12:53 PM [ in reply to 96th in total D to 82nd, just in case anybody was wondering.*** ]

VT and WF. Those are two terrible offenses. We'll face some tough tests the next 4 weeks. Dook has a respectable offense (if their starting QB is playing), NCST with Glennon picked us apart last year, I'd like to see some improvement there. MD has no shot, they are playing a LB at QB. Then come the coots. That'll be our biggest test since FSU. I hope the defense is truly getting better. But to say we're better because of giving up 406yds to VT and 290yds to WF doesnt make sense. Sure, that's less than the 667yds we gave up to FSU, but those teams arent even in the same realm as FSU.

I think the front four have played better. But the eyeball test tells me the back seven haven't gotten any better. Poor angles, blown coverages (or no coverage at all), and missed tackles still haunt this team.

We'll find out more about the defense down the stretch. If we can win out, then I'll agree we have improved on that side of the ball.

We have absolutely improved...

Oct 31, 2012, 1:04 PM

We held both of those team to around or below their average offense, which for us, that is an improvement.

And contrary to what you said, we are tackling better, taking better angles, and keeping more in front of us.

He is so motivated big time...love it

Oct 30, 2012, 8:44 PM

This will all come together...

I grade the improvement from an F to D+ so far

Oct 30, 2012, 10:29 PM

Wake Forest would have maybe raised the grade to C-, had they not been, well, Wake Forest. A solid performance against Duke would get their average up to a solid passing C, maybe C+.

I was very impressed with the improved tackling against Wake Forest. I'm sure there were some misses, but it seemed to me that usually the first guy to make a hit was still engaged at the end of the tackle, and several nice solo tackles were made. Good chest-high hits and arms wrapping up around the waist, looked like solid technique to me.

That has been lacking most of the year, with any number of runs with two, three or even four+ missed tackles on a single run...guys who made contact but nothing more.

If they can get up to B-grade defense, I think we murder SCAR. Drop back to early season form on D, and SCAR's horse-shoe-up-the-butt-of-every-player lucky offense and defense will make a game that could go against us no matter how well the offense does. See Tennessee game for what I mean. I think those coots have actual leprechauns in their Lucky Charms, jeez.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I grade the improvement from an F to D+ so far

Oct 30, 2012, 10:30 PM

awful white of you.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Racist comment aside, if there are 120 teams in FBS

Oct 30, 2012, 10:51 PM

And we had the #96th rated defense before the VaTech game, how can that be anything but an F?

82nd rated defense now is still below the median defense. About 3/4s of FBS schools have better defenses than us, according to the data going into that ranking.

Get to 60th or better and at least we'll have a better-than-most defense.

In isolation, the VaTech and WFU games stand out as very strong outings. But right now, based on the body of work over the entire season, there's no way anyone can say we've seen a good defense.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited about the visible improvements made recently and can see a much brighter future in very short order.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Racist comment aside, if there are 120 teams in FBS

Oct 31, 2012, 9:23 AM

Good points, but we have seen very good defense in the last 2 games. If that continues and improves, we will be a pretty solid unit by season's end, and I'll take that compared to where we were when BV got here. If you inherited $10,000,000 today, would you or anybody else really care that you may not have been wealthy before? I wouldn't! I would just be happy that I could do so much more for myself and for others going forward.

Overall statistics may show body of work but

Oct 31, 2012, 9:36 AM [ in reply to Racist comment aside, if there are 120 teams in FBS ]

not current production. We had a TERRIBLE 2nd half at FSU, and lackluster performance against Ball St and the same against BC. All-in-all if we had turned a decent showing at FSU(maybe keep them around 500 yards, ok not exactly decent) then I think we would be in the 60 for total defense. We basically gave up 2 games worth of yards in that one game.

Oct 30, 2012, 11:30 PM [ in reply to Re: I grade the improvement from an F to D+ so far ]

From F to D. Still untalented and unathletic. Bad times ahead.

Oct 31, 2012, 11:10 AM

^^^^COOT!!!!^^^^

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

That's how I would too. WF game should be graded a C

Oct 31, 2012, 12:57 PM [ in reply to I grade the improvement from an F to D+ so far ]

because it was just average defense. A little good and a little bad and the rest of the game average. giving up 290yds to WF is barely acceptable type work. We gave up 406 to VT and that's unacceptable. Have a long ways to go before the defense can be considered anything but a liability.

Who leads the ACC in forced turnovers?***

Oct 31, 2012, 8:16 PM [ in reply to I grade the improvement from an F to D+ so far ]

Oct 30, 2012, 10:44 PM

I would like to see the defense focused on offense at least a few seconds before ball is snapped.

I recall one play against VPI where Peters was looking at the defensive call on sideline as the ball was snapped. The WR blew by him before he realized the play started. Incredibly future MVP Logan Thomas missed the WR even though he was 15 yards open.

Oct 30, 2012, 11:34 PM

It ain't going to get better, only worse. We may well lose 2 out of the nextd 3. Maybe all three.

be gone, coot.***

Oct 31, 2012, 9:52 AM

Oct 31, 2012, 11:11 AM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Venables says improvement of the defense begins with familiarity and trust ]

care to offer any logic behind that statement? COOT

You really think you will lose to Wofford too ?

Oct 31, 2012, 12:57 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Venables says improvement of the defense begins with familiarity and trust ]

Could happen

That's overly harsh, and I thought I was king of the

Oct 31, 2012, 12:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Venables says improvement of the defense begins with familiarity and trust ]

pessimists.

Oct 31, 2012, 7:40 PM

I know we still had missed tackles and blown assignments, but the defense played with more vigor, heart, and emotion than I've seen in a while. That was good to see. It looked like they wanted it on every snap. That emotion fell off a little in the 3rd qtr but then picked back up in the 4th. I think BV is doing a good job helping them to believe in themselves.

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic