Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mickey Plyler's Blog: 2013
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 3,068

Mickey Plyler's Blog: 2013

Oct 31, 2012, 9:48 AM

Lately I have been getting a few emails about Clemson's 2013 season. There has been some banter among Clemson fans about next season and just how special it could be. My responses is guarded for three reasons.

First, this season is not over yet. The Tigers are ranke

Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

excellent read Mickey

Oct 31, 2012, 10:05 AM

I think a lot of fans forget to enjoy the ride, just like you said. I started enjoying the present a lot more last season, mainly for 2 reasons.

1. The season is very short, especially compared to the off season. We spend more time waiting on a season to come than actually enjoying the season, so why jump ahead to the next season?

2. After the Packers won the Super Bowl in 2010, I was kind of like, "Ok, now what?" When you win a championship, you've reached the ultimate goal. What do you do next? You try to do it again, of course. But if you don't enjoy the ride, the championship just doesn't feel like enough. You get greedy. Take football 1 game at a time, and enjoy the season. It will feel a lot longer that way too, and I think that's a good thing.

Of everything mentioned by far the biggest

Oct 31, 2012, 11:58 AM

question is Chad Morris. From a player standpoint, 2013 has a lot fewer personnel questions going in then 2012. Across both lines of scrimmage we return massive amounts of players deep into the depth chart. 9/10 on the two deep OL and 7/8 on the two deep DL. This is night and day from the situation going into 2012.

The biggest loss of all is Andre Ellington. Here is the good news, we are loaded as skill spots with more coming in. I think Tig Willard on Def is a bigger loss then people realize.

The Hopkins issue I don't think is as big as you do. He is having a huge season, but it has really served to mask the absence of Watkins between suspension and illness. Having Watkins back in full in 2013 and all the other depth at WR I think negates losing Hopkins.

I agree with you, and think we need to enjoy this season.

Oct 31, 2012, 12:14 PM

I also think how we finish this season will have a big impact on the mindset of the team heading into the off-season, and I think now is when we are going to learn to win the games we should win, and develop the habit of bringing our A game every week.

Mickey, you must not read the blogs, saying this is a

Oct 31, 2012, 12:37 PM

re-birth of Clemson football? According to Clemsonfan35, 5knklshfl, Lowcountry, and others Dabo stinks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Losing Nuk, AE, Ford, Jaron Brown, Tig, Hall, Brewer, Meeks

Oct 31, 2012, 12:41 PM

Goodman, Corico, Freeman...thats a TON of experience to lose. I never did see why everybody points to 2013 as the Tigers' year. I thought this had to be their year because of personnel losses. That's like 9 of 22 starters and the top two reserves gone.

I only included Nuk because with the numbers he's putting up the agents and NFL will be calling him bigtime. He's got to be one of the top two or three WR in the draft next year. I hope he comes back.

The only real losses to me are AE and Freeman

Oct 31, 2012, 1:00 PM

Corico, hall, Meeks, Brewer, Goodman have been inconsistent despite their experience and I have faith in the young guys here and coming in to make up for their loss.

Losing Tig will hurt but we are stacked with talent at the LB position. At worst we can move Anthony outside with Jones and Steward clogging the middle.

Losing Freeman will be interesting considering just how important the C position is but I like what I see adn hear about Norton.

TE is stacked so losing Ford won't be so bad, same with losing Brown.

We have to find an every down RB

Re: The only real losses to me are AE and Freeman

Oct 31, 2012, 1:40 PM

We cannot obsess about who we lose. We lose quality players every year. Always have. Then new ones step up. That's college football. We are re-creating a winning attitude. That brings in recuits. We continue to build and go forward, that is what excites me.

Re: The only real losses to me are AE and Freeman

Oct 31, 2012, 2:06 PM [ in reply to The only real losses to me are AE and Freeman ]

I agree that we're losing some defenders who haven't really stepped up, but they're starting for a reason. I also think that safety will take a big hit, but think that DL/DE will take a big step forward. We may end up starting 1 or 2 true freshmen, particularly at DE, but one of the things I really like is that while there is the opportunity for a true freshman to come in, contribute, or even star, we have enough experienced players that we won't have to depend on someone who's never played college ball.

Also, on the offensive side of the ball, C, TE, and RB will all take a step backward. Likely, the step back at center, while significant, won't be a step back at OL because of the increased experience at every other spot and the quality kids ready to compete for a starting job.

I don't think people realize just how much AE means to this football team. He provides quiet, "do it this way like I do" leadership and he produces on the field. Personally, I think that if Trammel Terry switches from the Dogs to the Tigers, he'll compete for the starting job at RB right away.

That's also a great reason for us to enjoy what we have while we have it!

Will ACC be weak again? FSU loses QB, TB, & 5 of D-front-7.

Oct 31, 2012, 2:20 PM [ in reply to Losing Nuk, AE, Ford, Jaron Brown, Tig, Hall, Brewer, Meeks ]

Sagarin ranked the ACC #7 last year and it's currently ranked #7 this year. I haven't analyzed the ACC rosters, but off the top of my head, I'd expect the ACC to be weak again next season. So from an ACC-race perspective, I'd guess that (as it probably will be for a few years) FSU is the main (perhaps only serious) competition.

FSU loses their 4-year starting QB Manuel, & TB Chris Thompson, but returns their OL and most of their O. On D, FSU loses at least 5 from their starting front-7 (though hopefully Werner goes pro and makes that 6-of-7). Link to 2-deep roster below. And we get FSU at home, so FSU should be beatable and an Atlantic title (at least) seems like a very reasonable expectation.

From a national perspective, I'm not sure what UGA & SCar bring back on their rosters except that their QBs should return. I'd imagine both teams will be tough and that from a national perspective, Clemson's season will be defined by performance against FSU, UGA, & SCar.

Forgot to include FSU 2-deep link...

Oct 31, 2012, 2:22 PM

http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2012/9/20/3355392/clemson-florida-state-2012-depth-chart-comparison

Agree completely Razz. It'll be ours to take

Oct 31, 2012, 3:07 PM [ in reply to Will ACC be weak again? FSU loses QB, TB, & 5 of D-front-7. ]

FSU, UGA, and SC will lose players that I believe are more significant then the ones we'll lose. In all honesty if we keep this recruiting class together and add Alexander and Adams the D gets better by subtraction. Every loss on the DL and LB position have players, arguably more talented, coming or on already on the roster.

Re: Will ACC be weak again? FSU loses QB, TB, & 5 of D-front-7.

Nov 1, 2012, 9:43 AM [ in reply to Will ACC be weak again? FSU loses QB, TB, & 5 of D-front-7. ]

Good job on this analysis Razz! TU

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Enjoyed the Blog, but I don't feel this "rebirth" to ......

Oct 31, 2012, 3:21 PM

anywhere near what I felt in 77-78. Primarily, because we had truly been wandering in the wilderness prior to that where not so much prior to now. Also at least a part of our success now is the weakness of our conference opponents. Not saying we aren't doing well or not on the right track, but comparison to 1977 and 1978 not accurate in my opinion, and I am a few years older than Mickey.

Yep.. Prior to '77, Clemson hadn't been AP-ranked since '59.

Oct 31, 2012, 3:59 PM

Whereas, Clemson's final AP poll ranking hasn't really changed much over the last decade.

AP final poll rank.
2011: #22
2010: unranked
2009: #24
2008: unranked
2007: #21
2006: unranked
2005: #21
2004: unranked
2003: #22
2002: unranked

Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: 2013

Oct 31, 2012, 9:33 PM

Excellent reading here Mickey. I totally agree with you.

I'm wondering how your son is doing. Ryan is still in my prayers. I pray he is continuing to progress in his rehabilitation.

God Bless. Thank you for having me on the Tigernet prayer list.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Soldier

Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: 2013

Oct 31, 2012, 10:59 PM

Rebirth can't be evaluated until after Chad Morris leaves. (Hopefully he won't and will be happy as head coach not on paper).

It was always wait til next year until Chad came.

I would still love a bowl win and avoiding extra shame by not losing to the gamecocks for 4th time in row. Has this ever happened????

3X has not happened since 70's. Dabo might be making progress while ACC weak but could shut some people up by winning vs SC and not getting tramped on by crappy Big East teams. (West VA and South Florida)

Once ('51-'54) SCar beat us 4-straight. 12-1 would be good!***

Oct 31, 2012, 11:40 PM

Re: Once ('51-'54) SCar beat us 4-straight. 12-1 would be good!***

Nov 1, 2012, 12:28 AM

Hopefully Chad gets it done. We don't need * of a 11-2 season being spoiled by 4th loss in row to the rival.

The romp will be on this year for Clemson. 48-20. For all the people who call Texas Carl Coot and not the realist he is-please pull this after SC destroyed and Dabo brings his record vs SC to a more respectable 2-3......the bowl record will have to wait til see opponent.

Replies: 18
| visibility 3,068
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic