Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: BOT Chairman says Barker was "catalyst" in bringing Irish on board
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 71
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: BOT Chairman says Barker was "catalyst" in bringing Irish on board

Sep 12, 2012, 11:19 AM

BOT Chairman says Barker was "catalyst" in bringing Irish on board

TigerNet spoke with Clemson Board of Trustees Chairman David Wilkins shortly after the Notre Dame announcement, and he called it a “tremendous” day for the ACC and its member institutions. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FIRE ___________!***

Sep 12, 2012, 11:21 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

yeah I wouldn't brag about it

Sep 12, 2012, 11:26 AM

it will end up being a bad deal.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

End up? HEII...It's a horrible deal now!***

Sep 12, 2012, 11:58 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: BOT Chairman says Barker was "catalyst" in bringing Irish on board

Sep 12, 2012, 11:32 AM

I bet Barker will also lead the charge for the 50 mil buy out. Anything to keep Clemson in the ACC/WEEWEE conference.

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: BOT Chairman says Barker was "catalyst" in bringing Irish on board

Sep 12, 2012, 11:32 AM

The idea that this in any way strengthens the ACC is laughable. By allowing Notre Dame to enter the conference under their terms, undermines the conference. Dabo was forced to say he accepts this and is "toeing the party line" by syaing it strengthens the confernce. This further undermines and weakens the ACC as a football conference. The addition of Pitt and Syracuse watered down the fottball product and now the "non-addition" of Notre Dame further weakens football. This move will not add any significant strength to basketball or the Olympic sports. Had this been an all-in move by Notre Dame, then the prospects are better only because the addition of Notre Dame football would help address the terrible worng committed when Pitt and Syracuse were added. If Barker had played any significant role in making this marriage happen as it exists, then he should be villified not congratulated.

Sep 12, 2012, 11:48 AM

I agree 100%!!! This deal has done nothing for us and the conference as in helping the FB reputation. The only thing this has done is this. It reaffirmed that the acc is still about higher education. That's good as far as that is concerned but, it done absolute 0 as in helping the FB side. The only one that was helped in this deal was ND and ND only. ND will not be listed as an acc FB team.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed! Punk Conference

Sep 12, 2012, 12:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: BOT Chairman says Barker was "catalyst" in bringing Irish on board ]

Please, Please, Please come to our conference. You don't need to bring football. Bring swimming and hockey. He!! we don't even have a pool to freeze. We give you anything you want.

ND deal is irrelevant. $50M exit fee screws Clemson & FSU!

Sep 12, 2012, 11:50 AM

Since it doesn't include football, the Notre Dame announcement is irrelevant-- arguably even a net negative considering the cots of all of our teams travelling to Indiana.

But tripling the exit fee to $50M is a HUGE negative for Clemson (and FSU) since it practically eliminates all options and leverage for Clemson. Clemson got royally screwed by this $50M exit fee, so they buried it in the ND announcement rather than making it a separate announcement. Pathetic.

Agreed! We just sewed up 5th place in a four league race...***

Sep 12, 2012, 12:00 PM

It will help swimming, they have an awesome swimming program***

Sep 12, 2012, 12:45 PM [ in reply to ND deal is irrelevant. $50M exit fee screws Clemson & FSU! ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Without football, this is bad news! Didn't help the Big East***

Sep 12, 2012, 11:55 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great news......

Sep 12, 2012, 12:06 PM

Under the new system, ND will never have a chance to play for a national championship in Football, so you can count on ND joining the ACC in football once its TV contracts are up and the new BCS championship rules are in place.

Yeah, I have to hope the motivation for this move was that

Sep 12, 2012, 12:10 PM

eventually ND is going to have to align, especially as they slip further into meaninglessness in football. Then they'll become a full member. They won't offer much in the way of competition, but it will remain a brand for some time that the ACC needs. I think the move now is to fill in that 16th spot. PSU is a great move. They're not going to be down forever, and they've always felt like the step child in the big 10.

That's what the Big East was hoping too, but didn't happen***

Sep 12, 2012, 2:24 PM

Didn't the Big East also have to deal with

Sep 12, 2012, 7:14 PM

the ACC raiding their conference during that time ND was "supposed" to be helping them ? With the $50 mil buyout, the ACC has gotten ND and guaranteed no one will be stealing their teams at the same time.

Having ND hurts more than it helps us. Bad deal all around.***

Sep 13, 2012, 2:40 PM

If ND footbal joins a league, it'll be the Big Ten.

Sep 12, 2012, 12:24 PM [ in reply to Great news...... ]

Why would Notre Dame football join the ACC instead of the Big Ten? Academically, the Big Ten is a comparable fit, but the Big Ten is a much better choice geographically & financially, and it easily preserves Notre Dame's traditional rivalries with schools lke Michigan, Michigan State, and most importantly, in-state rival, Purdue (whom they've played every year since 1946).

Notre Dame values the recruiting areas the ACC offers

Sep 12, 2012, 12:41 PM

a lot more than their traditional rivalries.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ND has always recruited nationally.***

Sep 12, 2012, 1:16 PM

Re: If ND footbal joins a league, it'll be the Big Ten.

Sep 12, 2012, 12:49 PM [ in reply to If ND footbal joins a league, it'll be the Big Ten. ]

Check out ND 2012 FB schedule - already play 4 ACC teams this year - Pitt (rival), Boston College (rival), Miami (rival?), Wake.

ND traditional annual rivalries are Purdue, UM, MSU, not ACC***

Sep 12, 2012, 1:15 PM

50 million reasons ND won't join Big 10.***

Sep 12, 2012, 5:45 PM [ in reply to If ND footbal joins a league, it'll be the Big Ten. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lucky Johnson

ND football isn't in ACC, so no $50M exit fee to join Big 10***

Sep 12, 2012, 7:01 PM

WRONG, , during the presser

Sep 12, 2012, 7:17 PM

the question was asked and and answered. ND also has a $50 mil dollar buyout.

WRONG. Football was NOT mentioned in that presser question.

Sep 12, 2012, 11:12 PM

I listened to the presser and the exit-fee question did NOT mention football. ND isn't a member of the ACC for football, so it makes no sense that ND would have to pay an exit fee for the football team to join the Big Ten.

I hope I'm wrong, so if possible, please send a link that proves me wrong!

You're still off, thee's no way they can join another

Sep 12, 2012, 11:19 PM

conference for football having to play 5 ACC teams a year.Any less they'd have to buyout.Once they don't play 5 ACC teams,it's $50 mil.

Says who? I can't find that anywhere. Please post a link.***

Sep 13, 2012, 2:14 PM

Sep 13, 2012, 7:32 AM [ in reply to If ND footbal joins a league, it'll be the Big Ten. ]

Best answer for your ? is this. Swofford gave ND exactly what they were looking for. ND keeps 100% of the biggest money maker in college sports, FOOTBALL. ND gets money from the ACC in the sports that doesn't compare anything close to FB revenue. The deal the acc gave ND was a win win win deal that a complete IDIOT wouldn't turn down. Even a 1st grader would be smart enough to understand that its nothing to lose for ND, and EVERYTHING to gain. The Prezz and B O T's at ND has proved that they are much much smarter than those idiots running the show in the Greensboro ACC head office. ND got their cake and eats it all. The ACC and their charter members didn't even get any of the crumbs. Now, why wouldn't ND choose the ACC over Big Ten. So your Question should be, Why in the H&LL would ND join the Big Ten when they got the whole F-ing Cake from the ACC!!!!!

Sep 13, 2012, 9:27 PM [ in reply to If ND footbal joins a league, it'll be the Big Ten. ]

Notre Dame is an independent now because Big 10 schools historically blacklisted them. They would have been in the Big 10 a long, long time ago if not for Fielding Yost and anti-Catholic bias. That's why the alumni were opposed to joining the Big 10 a few years ago.

ACC has a decent shot without the bad history.

Re: Great news......

Sep 12, 2012, 12:25 PM [ in reply to Great news...... ]

that is what I am thinking. I don't see how any of the ACC members would agree to upping the exit fee without getting a share of ND's tv money. Makes me think this is just a step to get ND to become full members after their NBC contract expires.

With the addition of ND in football, I think ND and all ACC members would get significantly more TV money.

kee-rist***

Sep 12, 2012, 12:12 PM

Sep 12, 2012, 12:21 PM

Yawn. This is pretty non-important without their football program. I wonder if ND gets to share in our FB revenue? I wouldn't be surprised.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So ND WINS again

Sep 12, 2012, 12:25 PM

They get to keep ALL of their football money. AND get to play BB in the ACC.

They get to schedule 5 ACC games, and I BET THEY choose who they play! They can schedule weak teams, go 5-0 in the ACC, and declare themselves ACC champs, and take the Orange Bowl out from under an ACC team.

OR, they can schedule FSU, Clemson, VTech, etc and take in big paydays. WHILE it means a 10th required "ACC" game for Clemson.

ND wins, wins, wins. Clemson loses, loses, loses.

"Declare themselves ACC Champs"?

Sep 12, 2012, 12:37 PM

Get serious dude. They're not in the ACC as far as football is concerned.

Re: "Declare themselves ACC Champs"?

Sep 12, 2012, 1:42 PM

no they are not in the acc in football.... i just do not want to give them any recruiting advantage....
I do not mean they will literally be the ACC champ if they go 5-0... but I do not want that "feather" in their cap... I do not like anything that gives another team associated with the ACC and advantage over Clemson... and this deal does.

As for the Orange Bowl... Sporting News is reporting an Orange Bowl tie in.
Link:
http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2012-07-10/notre-dame-orange-bowl-tie-in-acc-tie-in-four-team-playoff-2014

They're not eligible for the ACC's Orange Bowl slot.***

Sep 12, 2012, 12:38 PM [ in reply to So ND WINS again ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lucky Johnson

Clemson gets a guarnanteed home game with ND

Sep 12, 2012, 2:21 PM [ in reply to So ND WINS again ]

how is that a bad deal? If anything it saves our SOS when the ACC starts the 9th conference game.

where did you see that? I would love it, but would not count

Sep 12, 2012, 3:50 PM

on it until they become a full member. Only a playoff from 4 super conferences will force that. Until then, they will sit on their stacks of $$$$$$$$ from their individual TV contracts.

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

LOL. So, it's about money but it's not about money??

Sep 12, 2012, 2:45 PM [ in reply to So ND WINS again ]

Why would they pick 5 weak teams when these teams would get less TV ratings and less ticket money?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BULL CRAP!

Sep 12, 2012, 12:29 PM

Why let them in on their terms and they don't have to share the big money maker?

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Because it's better than not having them at all?***

Sep 12, 2012, 2:46 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

T-Net staff: Please report on who voted for $50M exit fee.***

Sep 12, 2012, 1:18 PM

Re: T-Net staff: Please report on who voted for $50M exit fee.***

Sep 12, 2012, 1:19 PM

all 12 teams..

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks. I now see that CBS reported it was unanimous.

Sep 12, 2012, 1:52 PM

But I just find it hard to believe that Clemson & FSU would vote for a $50M exit fee unless unless there's some fine-print that we don't know about. It makes no sense for Clemson & FSU to limit their options. Financially, it makes perfect sense for the other schools to keep Clemson & FSU in the fold so that the ACC retains some football relevance.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/20163126/notre-dame-to-become-acc-member-in-all-sports-except-football

That's the "official" vote after the majority won.***

Sep 12, 2012, 2:25 PM [ in reply to Re: T-Net staff: Please report on who voted for $50M exit fee.*** ]

Officially voting "for" seems to hurt legal options to sue.***

Sep 12, 2012, 2:48 PM

Group vote by all 12 members....

Sep 12, 2012, 1:46 PM [ in reply to T-Net staff: Please report on who voted for $50M exit fee.*** ]

Has to be passed by 9 school majority....

Orange Bowl Tie-in from SPORTING NEWS

Sep 12, 2012, 1:45 PM

If you do not believe ND is after an Orange Bowl spot, read the Sporting News article.

SOUTH BEND, Ind. — Notre Dame says it has had talks with the Atlantic Coast Conference about the Orange Bowl.

The ACC signed a 12-year deal with the Orange Bowl last week that starts in 2014, when the postseason format changes to a four-team playoff.

In years where Brian Kelly and the Irish don't qualify for the playoffs, the Orange Bowl could be a potential landing spot for the team.

The deal gives ACC members access to Orange Bowl in years the game does not host a national semifinal.

Notre Dame is interested in a deal that would give the Fighting Irish an automatic landing spot in some seasons in which they are good enough to play in a top-tier game but do not make the playoff.

A Notre Dame spokesman says in a statement athletic director Jack Swarbrick has had discussions with ACC officials "relating to the Orange Bowl" and university presidents have been consulted.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2012-07-10/notre-dame-orange-bowl-tie-in-acc-tie-in-four-team-playoff-2014

Did you check out the date of that article?

Sep 12, 2012, 2:23 PM

ND was angling for the BIG EAST'S slot in the Orange Bowl to be paired up against the ACC champ. This was common knowledge when the ACC got the rights to the Orange Bowl.

Do you want me to read that to you?

Sep 12, 2012, 2:55 PM [ in reply to Orange Bowl Tie-in from SPORTING NEWS ]

Cause if you make another false statement about it, I will.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Breath. OK ??

Sep 12, 2012, 4:52 PM

See my post below... AOL had that article posted on their front page as if it were current news, so I did not check the date.

So you can settle down now.

Not eligible (from an article written TODAY)...

Sep 12, 2012, 3:48 PM [ in reply to Orange Bowl Tie-in from SPORTING NEWS ]

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/20163126

Paragraph 9...paragraph 11 shows $50MM buyout also applies to ND, so if they join a conference for football, it will be ACC.

Also, ND doesn't share in football revenue.

Message was edited by: luckyj®

Lucky Johnson

SORRY!!! That article was on front page AOL this morning

Sep 12, 2012, 4:51 PM

so I did not look at the date... thought it was current.

Appears ND was looking for a BCS bowl tie in at that time. I am sure that was part of the negotiations that did not work in their favor.

Just another reason Barker and Swofford should be FIRED!!!!!

Sep 12, 2012, 1:48 PM

FOOTBALL makes the money!!! ND brings nothing but gets something. I hate the new ACC!!!!

Re: Just another reason Barker and Swofford should be FIRED!!!!!

Sep 12, 2012, 3:48 PM

I am not a fan of an all-but-football member, however…

Future Value:
If ND sees the need to join the conference (and I think they will in the foreseeable future), this seems to increase the probability that it will be our conference.

Present Value:
Requires X number of games w/ ACC teams = money.

Wilkins said the $50M buyout shows the commitment

Sep 12, 2012, 1:52 PM

from the teams in the ACC. I take it as the exact opposite. Sounds like Notre Dame wanted an assurance that nobody would leave as part of the deal. If everyone was happy, there would be no need for an astronomical number.

If everybody wasn't happy they wouldn't have signed the deal***

Sep 12, 2012, 2:56 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Barker was "catalyst" ??? what a maroon

Sep 12, 2012, 3:07 PM

Sep 12, 2012, 3:09 PM

This is going to wind up being a good move. Bringing ND and their brand to the ACC means A LOT OF MONEY will be flowing into the ACC. Football will be coming when they are able to work out the TV deals. ND's contract with NBC comes up for renewal in 2014. When that happens, the ACC combined with ND for football can renegotiate a contract with NBC or with ESPN. Looks like a good play for the ACC in leveraging more money from a TV deal.

On the competition side, ND has been down, but they are rebuilding and they will be back. Their draw is second to none and the ACC will be better off for it. Now if we could just forget the invitations to Pitt and Syracuse.

Sep 12, 2012, 9:01 PM

I really hope you are right, but I don't have much confidence in the ACC's negotiating skills based on past performance. Remember, it is football that drive the main revenue now, and though ND has a huge following because of all the Catholics, et. al. who follow them, it won't help the conference very much when all that are involved are Basketball and a bunch of other non-revenue generating sports. Also, I wouldn't be so quick to give Barker kudos on this. He has shown that he cares, only marginally, for sports, and he doesn't get it that successful MAJOR athletic programs bring in huge amounts of cash, support, and applications from better students which leads to even more selectivity and higher academic rankings.

Good, but not good enough.

Sep 12, 2012, 3:51 PM

5 football games versus ACC opponents only hurts ACC schools by forcing them to play another quality out of conference opponent on a regular basis.

And if you think letting them in with this commitment is going to help them fully commit in the future, you are fooling yourself. You would think they would at least compromise and require them to fully commit by a certain date (even if that's 5 years in the future). Instead, it makes the ACC feel more and more like the Big East.

Sep 12, 2012, 4:52 PM

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=acc&id=43947

Barker just trying to reach his goal

Sep 12, 2012, 7:03 PM

Of top twenty academics...probably being paid by Acc too....ughhhhh

And what school did your degree come from?

Sep 12, 2012, 7:08 PM

Top 20 academics is a good thing, don't ya think?

Not when you price out in state students. -->

Sep 12, 2012, 9:03 PM

If an in state school is so expensive that it requires the average student to take out loans then it is too expensive.

As a side note, the ease of access to student loans makes the cost of tuition increase at a higher rate than it would have if the money supply specified for tuition were not as large.

Re: Not much Barker can do about that.

Sep 12, 2012, 9:41 PM

The answer is under the tarnished dome...the one in Columbia, not the one in South Bend.

http://cen.acs.org/articles/90/i27/Public-Universities-Peril.html

Since when does barker hold the power....he'll be working for the Acc before you know it...

Sep 12, 2012, 9:06 PM

Step up BOT gets some balls!

Oh yes... that's a chuckle....

Sep 12, 2012, 11:17 PM

The BOT makes the decisions.... the Pres votes on it in the conference meetings.....

Re: Oh yes... that's a chuckle....

Sep 13, 2012, 7:56 AM

In every organization I ever was affiliated with, the President had the total trust of the BOT, unless there was some sort of malfeasance (not the case at Clemson), and the BOT pretty much goes along with anything the President wants. Such is the case at Clemson. Never think Barker doesn't run the University, and his BOT goes right along with it in almost all cases.

I think this case was a little different....

Sep 13, 2012, 9:29 PM

But obviously he was the major player.

Nice....***

Sep 12, 2012, 11:18 PM

Replies: 71
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic